Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Venison Recipes      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 pupdaddy12003
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Venison RecipesPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
...Ground venison is the way to get someone to eat it when they absolutely positively say they can't stand deer meat...you just put together some sloppy joes...chili...taco/burrito meat...and don't tell them it's deer. I tend to like to ask the butcher if he'd grind a little beef fat in with it...just for flavor..especially if I want to make some venison patties out of it...
 vbxtc
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Venison Recipes
Posted: 8/10/2008 8:20:38 PM
Perfect to make in the morning and come home to after work. You can probably substitute beef or lamb, but be careful to trim as much fat as you can. Like most of my recipes, the measurements for the barbeque sauce are suggestions, and it's definitely "to taste".

Barbequed Venison

3-5 pounds venison stew meat

marinade: The night before...
1 1/2 cups soy sauce
1/2 medium onion, chopped
2 inches fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
1/2 cup brown sugar
juice of half a lemon
1/2 tsp sesame oil

barbeque sauce:
1 32-oz bottle Heinz ketchup - not Hunts, not Town House, not house brand - HEINZ
1/4 cup Worcestshire sauce ( I use French's)
1 - 2 tablespoons hickory liquid smoke
2 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. red pepper
1 tsp. garlic salt
1/2 cup honey
1/8 tsp. orange extract (powerful stuff, so be careful with it)
dash curry powder
dash cinnamon

Cut the venison into 1 inch cubes. Place marinade ingredients into a large sealable bag or bowl. Shake or stir until sugar dissolves. Add venison and seal. Refrigerate overnight.

Drain venison and place in crock pot. Empty ketchup into a saucepan and place over medium heat on stove. Fill the ketchup bottle halfway to completely full with water, depending on how thick you like your sauce, and shake to get the leftover ketchup. Add to ketchup on the stove. Stir in remaining ingredients until completely blended. Heat until just short of boiling. Pour sauce on top of venison in the crock pot, cover, turn to high and forget it for the next 5-8 hours.

One word of warning, for some reason this seemed to kick out a LOT of extra liquid when I made it, so the level got pretty close to overflowing. Ladle out any extra sauce and keep refrigerated. I used the leftover barbeque sauce after a party with some ground elk, green pepper, onion and mushrooms for some awesome spaghetti.
 pupdaddy12003
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Venison Recipes
Posted: 8/11/2008 7:41:58 AM
Wow vbxtc...you use that much Liquid Smoke? I know you made a cautionary statement on the orange extract because it was so powerful...I've always felt Liquid Smoke was pretty powerfull stuff...even to the point of just dipping a toothpick in it..and stirring it around a small (very small ) dish of something...LOL Maybe folks can start with a smaller amount and work their way up ..it's not hard to add..but awful hard to subtract something like Liquid Smoke. Anyways..sounds like a great recipe...now all I have to do is tune up the old smokepole...and see if I can harvest some of these critters eating me out of house and home here...LOL
 vbxtc
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Venison Recipes
Posted: 8/12/2008 10:02:02 PM
Wow vbxtc...you use that much Liquid Smoke? I know you made a cautionary statement on the orange extract because it was so powerful...I've always felt Liquid Smoke was pretty powerfull stuff...

I should have mentioned that most of the measurements are approximate, as I've been making this sauce for so long I don't measure anymore. That's why I said one to two tablespoons, it leaves room for your particular tastes. One or two extra drops of orange extract will completly change the taste of anything. Also, the liquid smoke going into a lot of liquid (just water and ketchup is 3 pints), and it takes a fair amount to cut through with all of the other ingredients. Besides, I like the stuff. With the Worcestshire it works out pretty well. Hope you like it.
 Dovelett
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Venison Pot Roast
Posted: 8/13/2008 11:55:57 AM
Venison Pot Roast 2 Ways
2 - 3 lbs. venison roast
season all sides
flour to dredge in
1-2 pork chops boneless
1 T. olive oil
2 celery stalks dice fine
1 – 15 oz. can Hunts Diced Tomatoes
1 tsp. AuJus base or little more
1 onion large chop
6 mushrooms large diced
1-2 bay leaves remove after cooking
2- 3 garlic cloves minced
2 c. water
Salt --pepper to taste if needed

Using roast pan -brown venison roast dredged in flour ñ brown boneless pork chop in heated oil. Add all the rest . Bake 350° till tender or use pressure cooker 62 minutes on high.

~Note~
Mexican Style place either 1 – 4 oz. can green chiles or more or 2 fresh chopped fine ñ 2 serrano peppers diced- if you like a bite to this with ½ to 1 tsp. Mexican oregano LEAVE OUT the celery add 2 T. cumin powder --- Can brown right in the pressure cooker. The pressure cooker makes it so tender Add more flour/cold water paste to make gravy after roast is finished.
 Dovelett
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Venison Pot Roast
Posted: 8/13/2008 12:45:06 PM
Here is 2 more that are good but NOT POT ROAST

Raspberry Venison Skillet~
Courtesy of Joe G
Marinated venison strips are cooked with caramelized onions in this melt in your mouth

3/4 c. raspberry vinaigrette
2 T. maple syrup
2 T. soy sauce
2 lbs. venison cut into 1/2inch strips
2 T. butter
2 T. olive oil
3/4 c. water
2 sweet onions, thinly sliced
1 T. minced garlic
salt n pepper to taste

2 T. white sugar or to your taste I use less or equal about 2 tsp.

Whisk together the raspberry vinaigrette, maple syrup, and soy sauce in a large bowl. Stir in the venison until well coated, and set aside.
Bring the butter, olive oil, water, onions, and garlic to a boil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook and stir until the onions have caramelized to a deep, golden brown, 10 to 15 minutes. Once the onions have turned dark golden brown, stir in the sugar, and cook 2 to 3 minutes more.
Stir in the venison along with the marinade. Cook and stir until the venison is no longer pink in the center, about 5 minutes

~Venison in Wine Honey Mushrooms~

1 cup red wine vinegar
2 cup honey
2 cup soy sauce
4 cup ketchup
Dash pepper
Dash garlic powder
2 lbs. boneless venison steak, cut 4" cubes
8 to 12 cherry tomatoes
8 to 12 fresh mushrooms
2 medium green or sweet red pepper, cut
into 2-inch pieces
1 to 2 small zucchini, cut into1-inch chunks
1 large onion, cut into wedges
8 to 12 small new potatoes, parboiled

In a large resealable plastic bag, combine vinegar, honey, soy sauce, ketchup, pepper and garlic powder; set aside;4 cup for vegetables. Set aside;4 cup for basting. Add meat; seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate for 4 hours. One hour before grilling, toss vegetables with 4 cup reserved marinade. Drain and discard marinade from meat.[2] Thread meat and vegetables alternately on metal or soaked wooden skewers. Grill over medium-hot heat for 15-20 minutes or until a meat thermometer inserted in the venison reads 160°, turning and basting frequently with reserved 4 cup marinade. 4-6 servings.
 nycrickette
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Venison Pot Roast
Posted: 8/13/2008 5:48:40 PM
Oh me oh my, I love venison. I'm copying all of these recipes and hope someone will pass along venison in any form. I have more than one hunter in my past, on purpose, because I love venison. At the very least, my folks live in deer country and hunters use their property and as a thank you, they share their meat. My mother doesn't cook much venison so I usually get to take some.

In the grinding process, we usually ask the butcher to grind it with 1/3 part sweet sausage, or if we're grinding it ourselves, we add beef fat or suet. My fave recipe for ground venison is salisbury steaks, just use your favorite salisbury steak recipe and use ground venison.

If I have roasts, if they're thin, they are cooked slowly in stewed tomatoes and onions in the oven, if they're thick, to the meat slicer they go for the best venison jerky in the world. I got my dehydrator just for venison jerky. I wish I had a recipe to share, but it's all pinch and go, but it is a two day marinade.

Slice all of your roast for jerky, thicker takes longer in the dehydrator, so if you have different thicknesses you will need to check the meat in the dehydrator often, and remove what's done.

I use worchestershire, ground garlic, chipotle chiles, accent, (because it's a preservative), ground jalapeno, brown sugar, apple cidar vinegar, chili powder, onion powder, and a touch of liquid smoke, and a touch of tobasco. add more heat, as desired, it dissipates in the drying, salt does become more potent but it does help preserve, put the whole mess in an air tight container, you must taste the liquid mess to be sure it will have the heat you want and adjust. Of course it does become more potent in the drying process. I turn the whole mess around twice a day for two days, then layer it in the dehydrator. Then keep an eye on the dehydrator, and remove pieces as they become done, it can take two days depending on thickness and level, but you will take off levels as you go.

it's a messy process but so good.

Oops, I just gave away my secrets.
 texasbaby
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Venison Pot Roast
Posted: 8/16/2008 8:21:08 AM
I have to agree with your thought that venison should taste like venison so I try to keep it simple, for that reason.
I usually put only some garlic and black pepper and a few slices of bacon across the top of the roast, maybe a small amount of water in the bottom of the pot. When it's done,, brown gravy made from the pan drippings and a big bowl of mashed potatoes,, good stuff...

tb
 Dovelett
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Venison Pot Roast
Posted: 8/16/2008 9:06:41 PM
SmilingSalmon

Not taken as a criticism and this is why we all ask questions - right? We all have different taste.

When you marinade it all ñ cook it on the skewers - it is not as sweet as you think ñ this is good for those who don't even want to try venison - helps to reduce the wild taste that some older deer have or those deer's that feed on different food. It taste good. I don't think it is that sweet. When you mix the marinade up - taste it if you think you want more or if you think it might be to sweet cut back or to tart cut back- I like adding a drop of hot sauce in sometimes.

I personally like the taste of venison but you can cut back on the 2 c. of honey. .

Some won't even know they are eating venison. Try just one skewer made up and that way you won't waste but I think you will like it. The flavor with the red wine vinegar cuts down on the sweetness and with the soy sauce has a sweet tart taste. Small red potatoes than meat - onion- tomato- zucchini chunks -meat - peppers -mushrooms portobello's - meat and do it again Thxs for inquiring!
 Dovelett
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Venison Pot Roast
Posted: 8/17/2008 5:43:03 AM
Most welcome SmilingSalmon When I was a small girl in Pennsylvania, my father would wrap the roast in some sort of wrap than in foil ñ with seasonings I am sure and bury it in ground that had hot coals ñ wood for hours . It came out tender and delicious. One of my favorite parts of deer meat was the chops ñ my mother fried those or sometimes they were grilled . We always had deer now I rarely get deer because of where I now live. But when ever any friends go hunting and get one. If they offer any of the meat. I accept graciously.
 whatsallthis
Msg: 20
Venison Pot Roast
Posted: 8/17/2008 6:06:45 AM
I am drooling on myself.

VB: Do you simmer your sauce?
 vbxtc
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Venison Pot Roast
Posted: 8/17/2008 4:53:43 PM

VB: Do you simmer your sauce?

Usually I simmer for about 10 minutes, but for this recipe I just heat it up to a boil to help bring out some of the oils in the spices before it goes into the crock pot. It's going to be on heat all day, so it really doesn't need the extra time. If I need it to be thicker in the end I can drain it and reduce it in a sauce pan. Hope this helps.
 ncdino
Msg: 22
Venison Pot Roast
Posted: 8/18/2008 9:37:01 PM
I know some of you will think I am mean but actually I'm not. I recently had a dad with a lady and we were sitting talking about food as I was about to start grilling a couple of steaks and the subject of venison came up. She boldly told me she knew when she was eating "deer meat and only once had anyone ever been able to trick" her. She went on as to how she hated the taste of venison and could immediately pick it out. Well if you knew me, this was a challenge, I left the steaks in the fridge and took out a couple packs of last years venison and began preparing my lasagna using only venison as the meat. I might add that I do not add beef fat to my venison burger, I feel it is much more healty without the fat. I added fresh oregano a little thyme and a good bunch of fresh chives from my garden and popped the dish in the oven. At the end of the cooking time the entire home smelled like something wonderful was cooking in the kitchen and we sat down to eat. During the meal she made many comments about how good the lasagna was and it was genuine Italian Ristorante quality! I'll follow with my favorite chilli recipe using canned venison.......
 ncdino
Msg: 23
Venison Pot Roast
Posted: 8/18/2008 9:50:51 PM
I know some of you will think I am mean but actually I'm not. I recently had a date with a lady and we were sitting, talking about food as I was about to start grilling a couple of steaks and the subject of venison came up. She boldly told me she knew when she was eating "deer meat and only once had anyone ever been able to trick" her. She went on as to how she hated the taste of venison and could immediately pick it out. Well if you knew me, this was a challenge, I left the steaks in the fridge and took out a couple packs of last years ground venison and began preparing my lasagna using only venison as the meat. I might add that I do not add beef fat to my venison burger, I feel it is much more healty without the fat. I added fresh oregano a little thyme and a good bunch of fresh chives from my garden and popped the dish in the oven. At the end of the cooking time the entire home smelled like something wonderful was cooking in the kitchen and we sat down to eat. During the meal she made many comments about how good the lasagna was and it was genuine Italian Ristorante quality! I just smiled and thank her for the compliments and didn't have the heart to tell her she'd had venison until a couple of days later.....I'll follow with my favorite chilli recipe using canned venison.......
 ncdino
Msg: 24
Venison chili
Posted: 8/18/2008 10:08:28 PM
This is a quick chil that can be made in less than 30 minutes though the more time it simmers the flavors bloom. To begin with I set aside portion of venison each year to can. I cut the pieces of meat so they just barely fit the canning jars and completely fill the jar with meat and add one teaspoon of salt per quart jar. No water is added to the jar and I pressure can at 12-14 pounds for 90 minutes. To start the chili I add a qt of the canned venison along with the juices from the meat produced during the canning process, 1 lb of crushed tomatoes two packets of chil seasoning more or less to suit your taste, add a 40 ounce can of dark red kidney beans and bring to a high simmer. about 20 minutes before eating add a 10 ounce can of diced tomatoes & green chilies.... All of the ingredients except the venison are available at your local Super WallyWorld.... Now I'm looking forward to cooler weather, or is it Chili weather.....
 ncdino
Msg: 25
Venison chili
Posted: 8/22/2008 5:19:24 PM
Actually I did get the second date, I probably won't get her to eat anything except microwave popcorn now but thats ok, it's a lot easier to fix than a home cooked meal anyway!
 stargazer1000
Msg: 26
Venison Pot Roast
Posted: 8/22/2008 7:53:26 PM
Actually, I'm not sure where in Ontario, Canada to get venison. Game is generally illegal to sell. I'm not sure what the deal is with farm-raised, but then, would it have the same taste. Any suggestions?
 stargazer1000
Msg: 27
Venison Pot Roast
Posted: 8/22/2008 7:54:41 PM
Oh, but one thing I wanted to mention. I saw a recipe done on FoodTV Canada for venison done with - wait for it! - chocolate! That's right. The sauce involved the use of unsweetened dark chocolate. Apparently, gives it a very "smokey" flavour.

I'm intrigued, to say the least!
 dsljim
Msg: 30
Venison Pot Roast
Posted: 12/3/2012 6:47:49 AM
Time to dust this one off. Some good ones here, please add your favorites!
 ChowFun
Msg: 31
Venison Pot Roast
Posted: 12/3/2012 9:10:44 PM
dino...you should never "trick" people with food...if you are serving deer meat....tell them...not informing someone of what they are eating could come back and bite ya...allergies etc etc

Though dino's been gone from here for a possible four years now I will agree. I have a family member who is DEATHLY allergic to lamb. For some reason many choose not to believe him and a couple of his closest relatives have chosen to "test" him and both times it became EXTREMELY ugly. Idiots.

shyloco
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Venison Pot Roast
Posted: 1/13/2013 6:47:10 PM
Hit a fat doe on my way to work. Had the heart for dinner. Sliced it marinated it in teriaki. Sliced onions (1med,) half a bellpepper. Threw them in a skillet with a little butter. Cook about 2 or 3 min. on each side. Had it with a salad from my neighbors garden. Have a cpl. steaks marinating in soy sauce for dinner tommorrow. My neighbor took some of the tougher cuts to can. That will be chili or stew later on.
Those of you like me who don't hunt find some that do. A cpl. of the guys I work with only want the hams & back strap. They give the rest to me. I grind most of it.
 ladymercury
Msg: 33
Venison Pot Roast
Posted: 11/24/2013 8:02:12 AM
Kind of reviving an old thread here - but it's timely given the season - today I'm making the last of the deer that was given to me from last year's hunt. I'm expecting more from a friend of mine and so the last of what's in my freezer needs to be prepared.

This morning I rolled out two pie shells and they are doing their thing in the fridge. I'm going to fry up the deer, add onions, garlic, allspice, thyme, rosemary and pepper and carrots. I'll add some stock and a bit of flour to give it some thickness and throw it in the oven for 45 minutes. Voila! Venison pie.
 Dovelett
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Venison Pot Roast
Posted: 11/24/2013 11:56:59 AM
Type in venison in search box many threads for recipes
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Venison Recipes