Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > How to make easy peach Jam      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 texasbaby
Msg: 4
view profile
History
How to make easy peach JamPage 1 of 1    
How about Peach Butter
I've made apple butter for many years. I always cook it in a roasting pan in the oven. I use a very low temp. stirring about every half hour, doesn't scorch so easily, as it would on the stove top.
I think peach butter could be cooked the same way.

Another option is using a crock pot.

6 cups of peaches, peeled and diced
1 to 3 cups sugar, depending on how sweet the peaches are
1 1/2 cups apricot nectar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon almond extract

Put everything in the crock-pot and stir well to mix. Cook covered on low, about 3 hours, stirring once in a while. Then tilt the lid or remove completely and continue cooking 5 to 8 hours on low, until excess liquid cooks away.

Freeze or refrigerate

tb
 texasbaby
Msg: 6
view profile
History
How to make easy peach Jam
Posted: 8/12/2008 11:05:36 AM
Millie! Girl I live in Texas peach country, near a little town called Fredricksburg, they grow some mighty fine peaches there! Wish I could ship you a truckload, but the fruit-flies would probably eat them all before they arrived! lol
SSalmon,, thanks,, I love the butters,, the flavor becomes so intense due to the long, slow cooking process, I suppose.
The oven method works well too,, as I said,, the apple butter I cook like this is just outstanding. But you know about the heat in Texas, having the oven on for hours is not a good thing,, so the crock-pot is a good alternative.
Really, I think you could make a butter from just about any fruit you would use for jelly or jam. I don't know about grape, but plum butter,, mmm,, sounds good too.

tb
 texasbaby
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 8/22/2011 8:41:28 AM
Hugs to you my friend Millie! Love seeing you here again!
No peach jam this year for me. Texas is in the middle of an awful drought, nothing has made like it should, fruits and veggies are pitiful, mine anyway. Plus everything is higher than usual in the stores.
Did manage to steal enough figs from my neighbor to make a couple pints of fig jam,, yummm, stolen fruit always tastes the best.
Peach butter,, yumm or how about some pear butter??

tb
 Molly Maude
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 8/22/2011 10:59:09 AM
thanks for the recipe for the frozen jam, Smiling! I was JUST wondering ... how you are ... and what I did with my mother's recipe for frozen strawberry jam ... what a coincidence that you posted and let me know both!

a friend was reminiscing with me about my mother's jam last weekend! Mom was diabetic, tho, so I'm sure she had some clever way of using less sugars ... maybe I should keep looking for her recipe!

I love this one, tho, Smiling ... thanks for sharing!!!

I'm also wondering if I could make an apple jam/preserve ... adding a bunch of fruit I've soaked in rum for a Jamaican rum cake ... I soaked too many for the cake! ooops!
 Molly Maude
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 11/20/2011 3:52:44 PM
re the Peach Freezer Jam that Smiling Salmon posted over 3 years since posted ... if not Smiling Salmon, maybe someone else could answer ...

why would you need ALL THAT SUGAR? that may be a really stupid question but ... what would happen if you made the jam with just less sugar? just fruit, pectin and maybe a LITTLE bit of sugar? like HALF the sugar? wouldn't that taste better?

my mother was diabetic and she made homemade frozen strawberry jam and I'm sure she wouldn't have used all that sugar ... her jam just tasted like fresh strawberries ... wish I could find that recipe ...
 mamamugg
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 11/20/2011 4:21:17 PM
Molly...when I was hunting/Googling recipes for my canning projects a few weeks ago there were many jams/jellies that called for Jello...don't know why ya' couldn't use sugar free jello...'specially if you're gonna freeze it.

I made 2 different batches of apple butter...I didn't have enough jars...so I froze numerous small containers...every article I read, stated to freeze in amounts that would be used once thawed, within a week to 10 days.

I found this one from cooks.com

1 pt. strawberries
1 c. water
1 (4 serving size) envelope dietetic strawberry gelatin dessert

Crush strawberries and cook for two minutes in one cup of water. Now, mix in one of the gelatin envelopes. Stir until completely dissolved. When cool, pour into three small jars: one for the refrigerator and two for the freezer.

Don't see why you couldn't use different fruits and match the sugar free jello flavor.

Freezing is very forgiving...unlike canning.
 Molly Maude
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 11/20/2011 7:30:33 PM
thanks, mamamugg ... that seems promising ... I'll try it ...

michele6259
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 11/21/2011 4:13:18 PM
I use the Certo brand/freezer recipe too and I even cut waaay back on the
recomended amount of sugar. It turns out just a little thinner in consistency
but the sesonal fruit here is sooo delicious it doesn't need the extra sugar.

It's getting colder here and I love having the jams all winter long.
 Moonchild51
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 11/21/2011 6:00:09 PM
Forgive me Angler but how in the hell does one make jam in a breadmaker? Seriously? Can you enlighten us cuz this sounds interesting!
 pupdaddy12003
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 11/24/2011 7:32:15 PM
I believe the breadmaker would do the stirring required to dissolve the sugar in your jam. Sounds like a pretty good idea to me...
 pupdaddy12003
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 11/24/2011 7:37:46 PM
Oh by the way, my mother will substitute about half the sugar called for on the Certo pectin boxes when making some freezer jam...with Splenda. It's not cooked...so you really don't have any problems with it. If you have a sugar control problem..it might allow you to have some jam without all the carbs.
 Molly Maude
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 6/15/2013 10:18:11 AM
went shopping for powdered Sure Jell ... only found liquid Certo ... ok ... I can
be flexible so bought it ... was shocked at the amounts of sugar involved ... then
read from the Certo box: "for homemade jams and jellies with at least 25% less
sugar, buy SURE JELL for less or no sugar needed recipes - in the pink box."
hmmmmm ... sure wish I'd seen THAT disclaimer sooner ...

so now I'm going to put "Sure Jell for less or no sugar needed recipes - in the pink
box" ... on my grocery list and try it again ...

stand clear for one of my rants: grocery stores HERE in the small town I live in
don't cater to anyone but the masses ... if you want anything different from what
the masses want, you're pretty-much out of luck ... but ... sigh ... I'll try to find
the pink box ...
 raxarsr
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 6/15/2013 6:45:31 PM
molly..talk to the manager...i'm positive they will order it for you
 Eternityboresme
Msg: 20
Posted: 11/9/2014 6:32:04 AM
Texasbaby, I'll try this recipe and out it on scones. Thank you.
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > How to make easy peach Jam