Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > Christianity      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 AwP
Msg: 4
view profile
History
ChristianityPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
That would be thanks to the Protestant Reformation. Prior to that, "works" were required in addition to faith. Unfortunately the Catholics (and maybe the Eastern Orthodox too, I'm not up on their history) abused some of their power and used loopholes in the works doctrine for personal gain. Rather than merely reforming the church and it's concept of good works (which I think was Martin Luther's original goal), they split off and abandoned the whole idea that one needs to be good to go to heaven. Speaking for myself, I wouldn't really want to go to a heaven that allowed murderer's, rapists, and thieves to be there just because they said they believe in Jesus. Satanists (old school, not Le Vayian) believe in Jesus too, how else could they be rebeling against him if they didn't think he existed? I guess there's a bunch of them in Heaven too, eh?
 marathonman11x7
Msg: 12
Christianity
Posted: 10/2/2008 4:18:23 AM
I have been through life as a christian for over a year now, and i have to undergo trials every day from many sources. Every day is a new and tender step in my faith, but others seem to just think that if they "believe", then they will be automatically given a ticket to heaven?
1) there is a difference between professing christians and practicing christians.
2)The tenants for becoming a saved christian are Confess, Believe/Recieve!

3)Believe is a verb. It requires confidence in something. The kind of confidence that brings about action. IF you believe a train will hit you if you do not move, you move if you desire to live normally. THe same is true of christianity if you believe you will act accordingly according to the strength of your belief or faith.
4)Faith without works is dead.
My point is that we cannot go around judging who is a christian based upon stumbles. Peter denied Jesus 3 times before sunrise. However, central to being a christian is practice/action which shows that belief. Christians are saved by belief yet that belief is made evident through action. Christians do NOT NEED works to be saved but work DUE to their belief. Because I love my mother I show her love, my actions reflect my state.
We all are saved by and through his GRACE. We all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. We all stumble and fall.

It is not wise to become angry or sick because your friend(or anyone) stumbles, that too is an action that reflects the strength of YOUR belief/faith. His "test" is also partially yours in a sense.m Think about it
 spitfire6844
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Christianity
Posted: 10/29/2008 9:22:51 AM

So why does it seem to be that so many christians nowadays seem to only believe that christianity is all pink and fluffy and sugar coated?

It's a mistake to believe that Christians who subscribe to the "once saved, always saved" doctrine are less sincere than Christians who believe that salvation must be validated by repentance and good works. Sincere Christians from all doctrinal stances are usually consistent; and insincere, hypocritcal Christians from all backgrounds are fake.

Whether we're talking about the Calvinist or Arminian camp, (or those Christians who fall somewhere in between), there are effective, genuine believers and fake, superficial believers in both camps. Saying that Christians only believe in a "pink and fluffy" Christianity is to disrespect the millions of Christians who quietly do missionary work; adopt children; run shelters and soup kitchens; and do other practical things to make life better for others. Anyone who is getting their idea of what Christians are like by watching TBN or CBN is making a mistake.
 2hi-iq-4u
Msg: 24
Christianity
Posted: 7/29/2009 9:00:30 PM

Did God's Printing Press have malfunctions? Or was it the Council of Nicea's Errors ?

Very nice list. The OP is over a year old, so I don't think he will be replying. The Gospels are not straight to the point. In fact, I have found a "secret code." When Jesus say; "For those who have ears to hear," it is a secret code for you to read something into the metaphors.

He even explains in the statement "Beware the Leaven of the Pharisee's!" that he is using metaphor, and continues to use metaphor in many of his dialogues. Someday, the "blind" may again be healed, and their eyes will open to the metaphors, but for now, just be thankful you aren't among those who wear the sheep's clothes, but inside are ravenous wolves.
 spitfire6844
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Christianity
Posted: 8/1/2009 3:45:03 PM

It is only through Grace which comes from the Holy Spirit. Which only recieved by baptism.

This statement needs to be clarified. Most Christian denominations don't recognize water baptism as the means by which the Holy Spirit is received.

Jesus also spoke on very straight forward terms.

Sometimes he did, and sometimes he deliberately did not.
 forumschick
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Christianity
Posted: 4/27/2011 7:52:04 PM

Personally, I can tell when someone is what I consider to be devout in their faith, and it's not because of their church attendance. It's their FOCUS upon the Lord Jesus Christ in their daily life and their willingness to attempt with all their heart to be like Jesus. And yes, of course they will fall short, but the test and truth of their faith is in the striving

Spoken like a "true Christian..".

Well in my opinion; there was only one Christian and He was crucified...
 forumschick
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Christianity
Posted: 6/12/2011 2:44:26 AM

jesus wasn't a christian, he was just an errant and politically incorrect jew. how can you not be aware of that? christianity doesn't even exist except as an afterthought to and politically motivated construction on the crucifixion/resurrection myth.

That is certainly an opinion, very much like mine.

So the fact that I believe in it, makes me gullible and naive?
How predicatble. You see, the fact that you disagree with my beliefs doesn't make you anything, in my opinion. No you are simply someone who doesn't believe in the same, nothing else. But that's me...

forumschick
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Christianity
Posted: 6/25/2011 6:33:05 AM
Sum1reel:

Although, I have contemplated and truly researched most scenarios, I still find found it easier too believe that The God of Abraham has orchestrated it all, well, that is until we messed it all up to where we are now...

But see, the accountability part just goes right over us, believers and non believers equally. However, that is definitely another thread...

I can tell you right now, I didn't choose my faith while following the pack, oh no, if there is one thing that I can guarantee you is that I am mostly compelled to prove “the pack” wrong, on mostly anything, therefore, you can be sure, though I am still rebelling on the made man tradition/additions part of the whole thing, I chose well, I know and God confirms it every single day. All I had to do was choose Him. So I can tell you right now the person that will shake my faith as you put it, does not exist, has not been born, nor will ever be, I have the deepest conviction in Christ, and it certainly wouldn’t be someone who resorts to name calling…

My question is, why can we agree to disagree without the name calling thing? Why is it that if I have a different opinion is because I am something, either stupid, gullible, or take your pick on the adjectives…?

Seriously, it just makes me dismiss anything people say when I see that, and possibly miss out on any validity of the point they were trying to make in the first place…

I am quite sure that very much like me; everyone has a reason to believe what they do, and I don’t know about you, but I don’t go around trying to find people who agree with me, if I do, hey, great, but I am usually much more curious and interested in finding the reasons for the beliefs of people whom with I do not share the same views…
Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > Christianity