Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ontario  > Anyone watching the Olympics?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 12 Strike
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Anyone watching the Olympics?Page 1 of 1    
I do enjoy the Olympics, but only certain sports. Sports that I follow throughout the year, not just now that the Olympics are on. Baseball, archery, and soccer are the main ones I watch for.

I think Canada's issue with a poor showing so far is two fold.

The first is coaching. We send one of the largest group of athletes over, and no medals yet. I do not think that money is the issue, at least I hope not as this is supposed to be amateur sport, is it not? Sending over people who set Canadian records in a preliminary heat but are unable to advance to the next round tells me we are getting better, but makes me realize just how far behind we are in some of the events.

The second is, and I'm sorry to say this, but is attitude. The attitude of just being happy to be there just doesn't cut it. Don't get me wrong, if someone is good enough at a sport to get to the Olympics then they deserve it. BUT, to go half way around the world to say "Oh well, at least I'm here". No, once you hit this level in any sport you have to have a desire to be the best. Otherwise, you are just wasting other people time and energy. Maybe it all relates to coaching . . . I have to believe we have the talent.

Let hope Canadian athletes can step it up a bit and come through. Regardless of how negative this post sounds . . . every athlete over there deserves our support!

Cheers!
 untamed one
Msg: 3
Anyone watching the Olympics?
Posted: 8/12/2008 6:17:37 PM
Yup , Women's soccer for Canada ..watched every game so far , They squeaked through despite a loss to Sweden and have a tough match against the US Friday , without Abby Wambach for the US , I see Canada going on to the next round .
And will be cheering the US men's team as they have a couple of Toronto FC players .
 DJ_Lil_Jay
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 8/13/2008 9:36:22 AM
Ive been watching the Olympics a bit and its sad that we have no medals to show for it yet. Canada is a multicultural country and we have talented athletes from other countries that would be honored to weather the Canadian flag at the Olympics. That of course is part of the problem.

We seem to do better at the winter Olympics although I havent done research to compare. We are always a favorite to win a gold medal in hockey lol.

The athletes that represent our country need more support whether its coaching, funding or whatever is needed to get some medals...preferably gold!

I am sure there is some medals coming for Canada but to me it seems China Vs USA for overall medals! Ive been hearing that China will overtake the USA for the best country at the Olympics!
 Leeanne
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 8/13/2008 10:21:40 AM
For me the Olympics simply don't have that excitement they used to! I find them rather boring now! I also don't think that there really is great strength in the people we send - standards seem so much higher in other countries for their atheletes. My cousin is an olympic rowing coach & coach for Boston university - I know the dedication and years of work that goes into training - but somewhere the ball is dropped!
 huixin
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 8/13/2008 8:50:30 PM
yes ,USand China clean up the medals nearly ,but we know US has the most talents in the world .meanwhile China has the largest population in the world ,not easy to train hundreds of champions among 1.3billion people.
I cheer for all athletes .
 Elizabethie
Msg: 9
Posted: 8/14/2008 9:32:13 AM
Absolutely! I love them. I get excited at every event a Canadian is in. And cheer my little ass off from start to finish!! My kids yell "Go Canada Go!" too.

I don't have high expectations, and from everything I can gather, countries such as the US, China, and others have financial backing that we could never hope to have. Khazakstan (sp?) offers a $250,000 bonus to anyone who gets a gold medal. KHAZAKSTAN for Pete's sake!!! I was listening to the radio before the Olympics started, and our athletes quite often work full time, as well as train very hard, and practically live in poverty.

Every one of them should be proud just to make it there. And if they don't bring back a medal, it is not for lack of trying on their part.

GO CANADA GO!!!
 huixin
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 8/14/2008 9:23:11 PM
go canadians go .maybe today Canada will get a medal. hope
 Traveling Man MS
Msg: 12
Posted: 8/16/2008 12:43:44 AM
Well, we have a medal, we just don't know what colour yet. Carol Huynh in women's freestyle 48 kg wrestling final some time tomorrow (or is that today?). She is wrestling a Japanese wrestler for Gold, so let's think good thoughts and see if she can't bring home the top hardware.
 Traveling Man MS
Msg: 13
Posted: 8/16/2008 1:43:11 AM
We just won silver in 2 man sculls.
 Traveling Man MS
Msg: 16
Posted: 8/16/2008 7:25:58 AM
Not to mention that we came in 4th several times including shot put missing out by 1 cm for the bronze and 200 m breast stroke swimming missing out by .09 seconds. In both of these cases they performed either their personal best or a Canadian record. If we send people over there as our best and they perform at their top level and provide personal best records, I think we should be extremely proud of them and how they performed. Our women's pole vaulter was on TV after not qualifying for the final jumps and she was visibly upset that she let our country down. Rather than denigrating these people that put their own blood, sweat and tears literally in representing us, not to mention the amount of their own personal uncompensated time.

I understand that some of you are complaining that our athletes don't get the same perks that other nations give to their athletes, but is that really the goal of these Olympics? Is it all about hardware and medal count? Or is it about sportsmanship, supporting our athletes who are doing their very best, and the experience they get from traveling abroad and competing on the world stage? Do we really want paid athletes of the state who do nothing but that, or accomplished athletes that have full and rounded out lives and are productive citizens in our country? Personally, I prefer the latter and feel that is more the spirit of who we are as Canadians. Should they be compensated? Absolutely. Should their expenses be paid? Absolutely. Should they be able to live a comfortable lifestyle? Absolutely. Should they be paid only to be athletes by the government outside of an organized professional sport or through commercial sponsorship? Not by my accounting.

But then, I'm as proud of Dylan Armstrong for finishing 4th in shot put and giving his very best as I am Carol Huynh for getting gold and doing her very best. They both, along with the rest of the contingent, did us proud as Canadians no matter what place they came in.

By the way, I felt the need to put the word "swimming" after 200 m breast stroke because most POF'ers are perverts and you would see a huge increase in those wanting to join the "breast stroke team".
Show ALL Forums  > Ontario  > Anyone watching the Olympics?