Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Wife sues soon to be Ex-husband for 25 million for giving her an STD.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Wildman46
Msg: 1
Wife sues soon to be Ex-husband for 25 million for giving her an STD.Page 1 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
They were married in 1992, In 1995 she finds out she has an STD, He admitted to cheating on her while on business trips. He promises to never do it again and she (foolishly) forgives him. Now in 2005 she goes to her Gynecologist and finds out she now has HPV .

Seems the bastard never stopped cheating, He even admitted to having unprotected sex with hooker, having a mistress on the side for years.

Now the woman has filed a lawsuit for 25 million dollars. What is your opinion on such a lawsuit? . Seems life a slam dunk case to me, But I'm no lawyer.

Should the woman bear some of the responsibility for sticking around after she caught him cheating the first time? There is such a thing as "implied risk", If you're married to a cheater, there might be a chance he will bring something home to you.
 Woodstar
Msg: 2
Wife sues soon to be Ex-husband for 25 million for giving her an STD.
Posted: 8/15/2008 8:17:17 AM
I don't like "sue-happy" people. They've ruined alot of things for us that used to be alot of fun.

However, to answer your question....I don't think she should be held responsible for trying to keep this "contract" they made together work.

I think he should have his wanger tied in a knot...and not a love knot...well, maybe a twisted love knot!
 Ferruginous
Msg: 3
Posted: 8/15/2008 8:20:57 AM

Should the woman bear some of the responsibility for sticking around after she caught him cheating the first time?
I would think so.
Once she's become aware of his infidelity, she should be aware of the risk of being exposed to STDs
 Helen Waite
Msg: 4
Posted: 8/15/2008 8:21:06 AM
The only thing she should sue him for is divorce. What possible good is a monetary award going to do for an HPV infection? Unless of course she plans on starting a trust to research a cure for it.
 Rachelle~C
Msg: 5
Posted: 8/15/2008 8:23:13 AM
I would feel more sympathy for this women if she had not forgiven him previously for cheating many times. I don't think she should be getting anything when she knew exactly the type of person she was married too.

Now my opinion on this would be completely different if the first time she found out he cheated was when she found out she had a std. Then I would say give her as big a settlement as allowed by law.

Once a cheater always a cheater. They never change.
 memyselfandus
Msg: 6
Posted: 8/15/2008 8:26:40 AM

Should the woman bear some of the responsibility for sticking around after she caught him cheating the first time? There is such a thing as "implied risk", If you're married to a cheater, there might be a chance he will bring something home to you.

Yes I agree. Much like a personal injury case you are also responsible for yourself. If you lay down with dirty dogs you catch fleas.
 forums1
Msg: 7
Posted: 8/15/2008 8:27:41 AM
"He promises to never do it again and she (foolishly) forgives him."

Hmm, does that make it a "verbal contract"?

"Should the woman bear some of the responsibility for sticking around after she caught him cheating the first time?"

Really depends on whether its considered a 'contract' or not? If his "promise" is interpreted as a "verbal contract", then he would be in violation of their 'contract'?

I could potentially see it if, as a consequence of the HPV she got from his cheating, she wound up with cervical cancer... "pain and suffering", etc... however I would think that would require a cancer diagnosis, not just HPV.
 ilovecartman
Msg: 8
Posted: 8/15/2008 8:28:24 AM
Cheating should be a felony. And giving another person std knowingly should be punished with death penalty. I'm serious. What a **stard and why the hell did this woman take him back?

Anyways, I hope she wins. This will teach people not to cheat ( atleast somewhat). Too many immoral, sleazy people walking freely on this earth, it's time something was done about it.
 Ferruginous
Msg: 9
Posted: 8/15/2008 8:37:50 AM
Cheating should be a felony
I don't agree with cheating.
But,
Shouldn't we be somewhat responsible to use our own judgement when picking a partner? Rather than expecting the law to force our partners to behave the way we want them to?

And giving another person std knowingly should be punished with death penalty.
um.... Where does it say that he "knowingly" gave her the disease?

I'd be more willing to agree with the woman who is suing, if I thought her partner knowingly gave her the disease.
However, there is no evidence that he knowingly gave it to her in this case.
 ilovecartman
Msg: 10
Posted: 8/15/2008 8:42:08 AM
"The pain and suffering she will suffer will be GREATLY reduced if she were able to travel the world and stay in 5 star resorts, live in a mansion and own a ferrari (all on someone else's dime of course). "

That's not even the point, you know. Why is everything always about money? You can't just give someone STD's and expect to get away with it. There needs to be a brutal consequence for this.

And I'm mostly against people who sue and get money for it. I was in fact totally against that woman who filed a lawsuit against her fiance because he cancelled the wedding 3 days before and won. I felt she did not deserve to win. But this case is different. She has to live with that disease everyday for the rest of her freaking life because he could not zip his pants up. I agree she was stupid for letting him back in. She should have filed a lawsuit against him right when he admitted to cheating and gave her std's instead of now. But better late than never. I really hope people learn from this.
 ilovecartman
Msg: 11
Posted: 8/15/2008 8:45:03 AM
"I'd be more willing to agree with the woman who is suing, if I thought her partner knowingly gave her the disease.However, there is no evidence that he knowingly gave it to her in this case."

Everyone should know that if you sleep with someone, you're at risk and you're exposing yourself to a number of potential nasty diseases. It's fine if he does not care about himself that much. But what kind of a nasty, selfish, evil person comes home to a wife and has sex with her despite knowing that he might have caught something????
 forums1
Msg: 12
Posted: 8/15/2008 8:51:24 AM
Where does it say that he "knowingly" gave her the disease?

My first thought reading her post too, Ferruginous. Its more than possible to have HPV and *not* know it, just as it is to have HIV, HSV, and a host of other diseases, and not know it until/unless you have symptoms and get tested.

Arguably, the guy sounds like he's laid everything but the transatlantic cable, so if he was having unprotected sex with her (and with them), there is an implied risk that anyone in this day and age would know, and he *obviously* knew because he'd already given her one STD.
If she took back and continued to have sex with him, unprotected, then she is obviously taking an implied risk there, moreso given his history.

But, then again, if I pick "her" up for a date in my car, there is - naturally - an "implied risk" that we could be in a serious (hopefully not fatal) car accident. Thats a risk we both assume, for the sake of going somewhere on a date - we all know its possible, we all also know its hopefully unlikely. Now, if I *knew* that, lets say, the front wheel of my car only had 2 lug nuts on it, vs. the 4 it should have, and I didn't tell you that, and we get in an accident when my tire falls off on the highway... now *I* am at fault, for knowingly exposing you to a risk I know I shouldn't be driving on.

I agree, if it was "knowingly", thats a big difference - and I would agree with her - but nothing in the OP says it was knowingly.
 Wildman46
Msg: 13
Posted: 8/15/2008 8:51:31 AM
If I was on a jury hearing this case, The woman in question would not get a dime from me, and here is why.

her husband gave her an STD in 1995, even with said STD she forgave him and stayed married to him. Now 10 years later she finds out he had given her ANOTHER STD from his continued cheating. How can I be sympathetic to a woman who knows her husband is no only a cheater, But a cheater who most likely refuses to use protection, or at the very least uses protection very selectively.

She must have known the risk involved in staying in such a marriage, yet stayed she did. Sorry but I would never reward anyone for stupidity. Now like another poster pointed out, If she had kicked his ass to the curb the first time and sued, I would have given her everything he had, If I was on the jury hearing the case.
 Ferruginous
Msg: 14
Posted: 8/15/2008 8:51:48 AM

But what kind of a nasty, selfish, evil person comes home to a wife and has sex with her despite knowing that he might have caught something????
The kind of person who's niave wife lets him.

According to the opening post, he admitted his infidelity in 1995, when he developed an STD. She foolishly made the mistake to remain with him for another decade.
 wondering1980
Msg: 15
Posted: 8/15/2008 8:56:17 AM
i can see why she be suing but also rather stupid to sue him since its her own stupidity where she knew what he was like and stayed anyway...it should have been no surprise to her that she got something
 Wildman46
Msg: 16
Posted: 8/15/2008 8:59:35 AM
" There is no evidence that he knowingly gave it to her in this case"

Actually that's the husbands defence to the lawsuit. He said he never knew he had it, So he never gave it to her "knowingly". That argument might actually have some validity in court. Not sure how the justice system works in that area, But most people that was ever convicted of things like that, knew they had it but choose not to use protection anyway.
 GeneralizingNow
Msg: 17
Posted: 8/15/2008 9:00:15 AM
My opinion of the lawsuit is that it's extraneous and she's trying to get money for something that she shouldn't get money for. Tort reform, anyone?

My opinion of the SITUATION is NO absolutely she is not at all to blame for HIM cheating on her. I hate that "you should take responsibility for everyone ELSE's actions" line.
 forums1
Msg: 18
Posted: 8/15/2008 9:06:33 AM
As to "knowingly", per the CDC:

"Genital human papillomavirus (HPV) is the most common sexually transmitted infection (STI). The virus infects the skin and mucous membranes. There are more than 40 HPV types that can infect the genital areas of men and women, including the skin of the penis, vulva (area outside the vagina), and anus, and the linings of the vagina, cervix, and rectum. You cannot see HPV. Most people who become infected with HPV do not even know they have it."

She has to live with that disease everyday for the rest of her freaking life because he could not zip his pants up.

"HPV can cause normal cells on infected skin or mucous membranes to turn abnormal. Most of the time, you cannot see or feel these cell changes. In most cases, the body fights off HPV naturally and the infected cells then go back to normal. "

"For those who choose to be sexually active, condoms may lower the risk of HPV, if used all the time and the right way. Condoms may also lower the risk of developing HPV-related diseases, such as genital warts and cervical cancer. But HPV can infect areas that are not covered by a condom—so condoms may not fully protect against HPV. So the only sure way to prevent HPV is to avoid all sexual activity."

"The HPV test on the market is only used as part of cervical cancer screening. There is no general test for men or women to check one’s overall “HPV status.” HPV usually goes away on its own, without causing health problems. So an HPV infection that is found today will most likely not be there a year or two from now. "

Everyone should know that if you sleep with someone, you're at risk and you're exposing yourself to a number of potential nasty diseases.

Very true - and that includes *her* as well as him, right?

But what kind of a nasty, selfish, evil person comes home to a wife and has sex with her despite knowing that he might have caught something????

No argument there - isn't cheating itself (regardless of the STD matter) "nasty, selfish, and evil"? Soo... why would she have taken him back in the first place?
 Wildman46
Msg: 19
Posted: 8/15/2008 9:08:33 AM
" My opinion of the SITUATION is NO absolutely she is not to blame for HIM cheating on her. I hate that " you should take responsibility for everyone ELSE's actions" line"

Ok I started this thread, and I have read ever post thus far in it. Can the above quoted poster show me where anyone in this thread said the wife should be blamed for her husbands cheating? Also can you show me where ANYONE said she should be taking responsibilty for anyone other than herself. SHE choose to stay in a marriage where her husband cheated. By doing that she but herself at further risk of catching another STD, She needs to be accountable for HER part in the given senario. If she had removed herself from the situation at the first sign of cheating, she would not be in the situation she now finds herself in.
 Sortin
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 8/15/2008 9:10:55 AM
After 3 years, I wonder if she even still has it.
 sarsss
Msg: 21
Posted: 8/15/2008 9:17:04 AM
Actually, this is not much about money as much as it should be criminal in my opinion. He deserves to but punished harsher than just monetary.

He knowingly did her harm and lied to her too in order to use her for raising his children and other things that come with marriage, misled her that lead to depriving her of meeting a good person, and made her life a misery ...but, yes, it should be monetary too, especially because it caused some medical expenses and sufferings to her...

There are those will do harming acts if they would get away with it, but hopefully, some of these will get a lesson from this and be punished the way they deserve...No you can't do to humans whatever you please if you think you might get away with something...only until one day...

...and, no, HPV is not curable as it is not caused by bacteria.

He is a criminal not just a jerk and should be punished as such!!!
 forums1
Msg: 22
Posted: 8/15/2008 9:20:30 AM

deprived her of meeting a good person

Didn't she actually deprive *herself* of meeting a "good person" by choosing to take back and stay with someone who had already cheated on her? Or after cheating on her and giving her an STD the first time, was he still a "good person"?
 geeleebee
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 8/15/2008 9:23:59 AM
She forgave him the first time she found out. When you are married, the phrase, 'in sickness and in health', is not to be taken lightly. If he is a serial cheater, is that considered a 'sickness'? If so, then shouldn't the wife (if she loves him) strive to keep the marriage intact?
The OP says nothing about whether or not the couple went to counseling or received any kind of outside help. Without knowing the entire story, it is difficult to have an honest opinion about the lawsuit.
 Sortin
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 8/15/2008 9:29:40 AM
In my opinion...the lawsuit is about him giving her an STD, HPV. He should be held responsible for that, but not to the tune of $25 million. There is no mention of how serious her infection was. Just that she got tested in 2005 and that she had HPV.

I see no pain and suffering. No financial hardship caused by it. No medical expenses. Her emotional issue is with the fact her husband cheated on her, and that warrants a divorce, not a lawsuit.
 geeleebee
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 8/15/2008 9:30:34 AM
You see NO PAIN AND SUFFERING????!!!!!!?????
Would you want HPV???
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Wife sues soon to be Ex-husband for 25 million for giving her an STD.