Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  > A Bigfoot corpse discovered ?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 1
view profile
History
A Bigfoot corpse discovered ? Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Body proves Bigfoot no myth, hunters say

(CNN) -- A policeman and a former corrections officer say that on Friday they will unveil evidence of what they claim is their biggest find ever: the body of Bigfoot.

Matthew Whitton and Rick Dyer, a pair of Bigfoot-hunting hobbyists from north Georgia, say they found the creature's body in a wooded area and spotted several similar creatures that were still alive.

The carcass of the furry half-man, half-ape is 7 feet, 7 inches tall and weighs more than 500 pounds, they say. However, the two are not disclosing the exact location of their discovery to protect the remaining creatures.

Tom Nelson, chairman of the biology department at North Georgia College and State University in Dahlonega, said he's "pretty skeptical" the world will feast its eyes on a new species Friday.

"That would certainly rock mammalogy," joked Nelson, who specializes in the study of mammals. "I see a research grant in my future."

Whitton and Dyer plan to unveil what they say is DNA and photo evidence of the discovery in Palo Alto, California, in conjunction with a group called Searching for Bigfoot Inc.

A photograph on that group's Web site shows what appears to be the body of a large, hairy creature with an ape-like face, stuffed into a large freezer.

According to a written release, the two announced the discovery on an Internet radio show, "Squatch Detective," several weeks ago.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/08/14/bigfoot.body/index.html?iref=mpstoryview

There's a live news conference going on right now on CNN, which seems fascinating.

A hoax of amazing proportions, some mistaken identity, or will we all be somewhat surprised to see proof of a new species discovered ?

The people involved seem to be convinced, and tests are being done to establish what that body is that they discovered.

So, given the possible proof of Bigfoot, how do you think people will react ?

Will it be enough to convince people ?

I for one hope it proves to be validated somehow.

If true, it would be an amazing discovery, and force us to reevaluate our entire mindset about such things.
Click any of the Links below to access these Forum Categories:

Closed, but
accessible Forums
»»
Politics
Current Events
Religion

Related Links:Changes to Forums
Links Removed

For the Time being, there is ZERO Tolerance for Trolls posting Flamebait,
Insults, or peddling Agendas. Automatic 28 Day minimum Vacation Package.
    Don't post here if you can't keep your "Cool"

Report offensive Posts as usual in the Forum Rule Violations Report Thread
 Lostcauz
Msg: 3
A Bigfoot corpse discovered ?
Posted: 8/15/2008 1:14:29 PM
The legend of the Bigfoot goes back a lot of years. There have been pictures, impressions of footprints, and witness statements, taken over many years.

I surely hope this isn't a hoax of monumental proportions.

Personally, I'd like to see science discover a new species. However, I'm afraid the finding that Bigfoot does, in fact, exist, will spawn more and more groups, that will seek out, and possibly have a negative impact on the Bigfoot.

For the most part, a great many people will shrug their shoulders, and say good for whoever made the discovery. I'd like to think I would be one of these people. You know, the kind of people who discuss such things around the coffee table, or out on the back porch on a cool evening, over a cold beer.

If true, it would be an amazing discovery, and force us to reevaluate our entire mindset about such things.

If true, it would certainly turn the conventional thinking about Bigfoot on it's ear.

It will be great to see what comes of this discovery.
 mungojoe
Msg: 4
Posted: 8/15/2008 1:46:02 PM

I think it's a Wookie.

But... but...

Doesn't that mean there will be *gulp* Imperial Stormtroopers along shortly?
 printer2
Msg: 5
Posted: 8/15/2008 1:57:54 PM
I am sure it is only one of my ex-girlfriends.

Oh wait, it said half man. I hope this has nothing to do with that wild weekend that I don't remember.
 oddandy
Msg: 6
Posted: 8/15/2008 1:59:44 PM

Doesn't that mean there will be *gulp* Imperial Stormtroopers along shortly?

Don't look now, but I think they're already here!

http://www.mansfieldpolice.com/Images/SWAT.JPG
 aliasd
Msg: 7
Posted: 8/15/2008 6:57:29 PM
Well, It seems from three submitted DNA tests, one came back inconclusive, one was confirmed to contain traces of human DNA, and the other contained opossum DNA.

The "Bigfoot Trackers" claim the opossum DNA is from a meal.

To me, this story is still weird even with DNA tests performed. I am mostly interested on where the human DNA came from though. Mabye they shot a really hairy man? Or some sort of possum man?
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 8/15/2008 8:17:38 PM

....one came back inconclusive, one was confirmed to contain traces of human DNA, and the other contained opossum DNA.

Well, I remain skeptical, but at the same time there are some rather interesting things about whatever was discovered out there. If these things are true, and they actually have a corpse of some sort, then whatever it is doesn't seem to be any North American animal I can think of.

- 7-foot-7
- 500 pounds
- two arms and two legs
- five fingers on each hand
- five toes on each foot
-Its footprint is sixteen and three-quarters inches long and five
and three-quarters inches wide at the heel
- From the palm of the hand to the tip of the middle finger, its
hands are eleven and three-quarters inches long and six and one-quarter inches wide.
- The teeth are more human-like than ape-like

If those things can be shown to be true, it's going to shake up a lot of people.

I'd add to that the POTENTIAL increased credibility of having a ex-corrections officer and a current Georgia police officer involved in the find. In the latter's case, risking your career over a hoax seems to me rather shortsighted.

As I said, the only way to answer this is to get some legitimate scientific people involved rather quickly.
 Strongdad
Msg: 9
Posted: 8/15/2008 8:52:14 PM
Maybe it was William The Refrigertor Perry.
 mungojoe
Msg: 10
Posted: 8/15/2008 8:58:49 PM

I'd add to that the POTENTIAL increased credibility of having a ex-corrections officer and a current Georgia police officer involved in the find.

It also means they have or have access to information that would aid them in "muddying" the evidence.

There are a few elements which are very questionable. The first and most questionable is letting Biscardi run the 'show'. I'm not sure I would want an unmasked huckster to handle something as important as this if I was convinced it was real.

Then there is the question of why they kept it for a month (in a home freezer no less) without contacting any universities/gov't especially when they live in the same state as one of the world's most famous Primatology centres, Yerkes (and again, why a huckster when you KNOW there are experts who could confirm your claim with undisputable certainty just down the road).

With such close and controlled access to the body, why are they not able to produce clearer, more professional photos? What they have are not much better than the ones that go around now.

And finally, why all the secrecy with the body? They seem to be unwilling to allow anyone else to see it other than those they personally handpick (and so far none have been anyone of any major expertise).

The figures don't add up to anything other than hoax so far. No physical evidence presented, no confirmation that anything tested even came from the putative 'Bigfoot', an email rather than an actual lab report, ambiguous photos.

They have access to everything they need to be upfront and unquestionable but choose instead to act like sideshow carnies ("Sorry kid, can't go in without payin' first, two bits").
 mungojoe
Msg: 11
Posted: 8/15/2008 9:44:36 PM

I'm rather surprised that this has even managed to make the news at all. Usually news outlets and gatherers have better things to do than report on what is almost certainly a hoax. For that matter, I'm pretty sure that CNN would rather cover a local charity bake-sale than help promote this 'discovery'. Must be a really slow news week.

While it is rare, the discovery of new animals based on folk-lore and legends happens just often enough to keep them from being ignored.

The gorilla and mountain gorilla, bonobo, komodo dragon, giant gecko and coelacanth are all animals that originally were thought to be legends and folk-lore before they were identified and catalogued.

Up until the 1950's there was no evidence whatsoever of what we call Bigfoot.

The name "Bigfoot" goes back to that little prank but reported sightings go back to the 1800's, it is also a part of NA native folk-lore as well as a common element of folk-lore around the world
 mungojoe
Msg: 13
Posted: 8/15/2008 11:58:47 PM

Oh, that's just Big Bubba! Yes he's pretty hairy alright, and huge too. But gentle as a lamb. He lives up there in them woods. Hunting and fishing most of the time. He's the son of Pearl and ole Buford Elliott, back up in there, and was always pretty shy, seldom coming out much in the daytime. But he was a good kid once you got to know him, if not the sharpest tool in the shed.

That would explain the 'possum stew.
 JohnEDeep
Msg: 14
Posted: 8/16/2008 12:15:59 AM
I'd be fascinated if this was true, but the secrecy and lack of independent verification don't bode well at this point...not to mention that the Bigfoot 'expert' involved has perpetrated hoaxes before. One of the articles I read said that these guys are offering Bigfoot tracking tours for $499 a pop. That would seem to contradict their claimed desire to protect an endangered species.

Bigfoot Tours...the search for more money.
 Dudleyh45
Msg: 15
Posted: 8/16/2008 1:02:01 AM
It states in Montreal Guy's original post that they found his body. Why do so many insist these fellows shot the beast?

Bigfoot, Abominable Snowman, Yeti, etc are in fact ancient creatures dating back to prehistoric times. They are mentioned in Genisis as the offspring created by the sons of the Gods breeding with the daughters of men. Goliath was one of these. This breeding upset the elder Gods and thus man was given mortality. These creatures being grandsons of the Gods were immortal as are their fathers, however the Lord God {the chief of the Gods} condemned them to lifelong banishment from mankind as well as Godly knowledge. In doing so he also gave them the punishment of mortality if they mingle with or have any form of contact with their human kinsmen. This tells me that this poor fellow has at some time been seen by man before thus causing him mortality. This way the Gods can protect mankind from both these beasts and the sons of the Gods. Eventually all these beasts wiil have contact with mankind and thus be eliminated from earth righting a wrong wich was perpetrated eons ago by the impetuous sons of the Gods. This creature was created not by Gods but by the sons of the Gods and thus considered unholy necessitating it's demise, but under strict guidelines. Gods have to follow rules too. The beast is to be destroyed yet pitied as it has done no wrong, sins of the father.
 Dudleyh45
Msg: 16
Posted: 8/16/2008 3:07:58 PM
Religion injected into a bigfoot topic, let the snickering begin. They'll start really coming out of the woodwork now !!! Heh heh heh.

You see how much fun you can have with a touch of imagination and a keyboard.
If you look at message 26 he inadvertantly backs this nonsense with his talk of faith etc. All those things he mentioned could be explained by a magic wand or just saying they are these creatures referred to in Genisis. If we worked together we could probably come up with a whole history about Sasquatch and incorporate him into the history of mankind and all sorts of fun stuff. To some it would even sound plausable. Have fun.
 mungojoe
Msg: 17
Posted: 8/16/2008 3:16:24 PM
In this case though we're talking about something where the folklore was probably manufactured after the creature became popular.

No, in those cases the folk-lore already existed (folk-lore to the natives, myth to us). For example, the Komodo was unknown to science until a Dutch officer heard the folk-lore (the expedition that proved the existence was the inspiration for "King Kong"). Prior ro cataloguing, the gorilla was known to science only as legends about a tribe of "hairy, primitive humans" from local stories and explorer accounts (but with no hard evidence). The coelacanth was part of Comorros Island folk-lore and initially believed by science to be only legend (coelacanths were only known to science as fossils up until then) until an actual one was observed.

A good example of folk-lore meeting science (while not dealing with unknown species) is the practice of 'leeching' or blood-letting. Modern science considered it to be folk-lore and of no value until someone decided to explore whether it could actually be useful. Now 'leeching' is a valuable tool in modern medicine (it's used primarily in reattachment procedures to deal with blood pooling in the reattached part).

Another especially good example is the discovery of the giant squid as this is a legend of western seafarers going back to Greek/Roman times. Originally named the "Kraken", it was thought to be a sea monster (size was typically exaggerated though one does not need to exaggerate the size of a full grown giant squid much considering they can be longer than the sailing ships of the day).

What I'm saying is that the evidence usually comes in before the search is mounted. Otherwise it's completely by accident.

The part you're ignoring in this is that often, exploration of region where these were found (the ones that were simply stumbled on) were mounted specifically because the only knowledge science had of those regions were the local folk-lore. It is a bit of a stretch to call it "completely by accident" when most of these species were discovered because people went exploring to see how much of folk-lore and legend was real or what it was based on. They may not have expected to find folk-lore proven out but they often did go largely out of curiosity piqued by folk-lore.

It's entirely different to believe in Bigfoot .

It's not a question of believing in Bigfoot, it's a question of knowing the difference between what's possible and what's probable.

Reality shows it to be possible (if unlikely) but probability is the reason why most everyone is saying "Where's the beef?" before mounting a full scale search. In other words, science listens and considers even if clear proof isn't there but it doesn't accept without it.
 linmar207
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 8/17/2008 3:48:08 AM
I have mixed thoughts on which to draw a conclusion...here in Maine we had a discovery a couple of years ago of some kind of canine, wolf strange looking creature. Some authority was called to come to inspect it but didn't think it was important enough. The person who discovered this animal, by what I understand, accidently killed it with their car. Photos were taken and were publicized in the local papers. It even made it on to a television documentary concerning such creatures. I saw the photos and have to admit that this was a unique looking creature. Also to support this thought, I live on land that is covered by trees and thick brush...I'm always in awe to see a deer, coyote, fox and other animals that don't often show them self to humans. Who is to say that some other creature isn't out there in the vast woods? Scientists are still discovering yet more life in our oceans; why then is it so difficult to believe that some large creature such as Big Foot does not exist in our forests?

My other thought is, since Big Foot is obviously BIG, why hasn't anyone found where it might live in the vicinity of where it's been spotted?
 MX220
Msg: 19
Posted: 8/17/2008 8:27:07 AM
If it's true....what an incredibally awesome discovery! It would be THE discovery of modern civilization.

If it's true, that is.

I've seen the well known footage that Roger Patterson filmed. I've seen it a few times on TV and I just saw it again on you tube. The first time I saw it I was immediately convinced it's a hoax. Observing the subject's gait one can clearly see it's a human being. Also there is only a few brief seconds of close up clear footage..another red flag.

I just saw the Snow Walker footage of a furry creature walking through deep know. Yet it's out of focus, very shaky and the very brief instant or two of a relatively clear shot It looks to me like a human being. Every one of these apparent photos or videos are always either out of focus, half or more hidden behind bushes, very shaky hands of the cameraman, at great distances etc....the list goes on.

Shouldn't this be the story of the year for news? Why did it take this long to gain any publicity?
 printer2
Msg: 20
Posted: 8/17/2008 8:32:54 AM
Forget eating berries and wild animals. Bigfoot is real but we just cannot see him for what he is. The obvious answer is aliens taking a stole in the woods. They are not the cute hairless phone home types that do all the probing. These guys heard the myth about mammoths and every once in a while send out an expedition to see what they can find.

Edit: Sorry 'The obvious answer is aliens taking a stroll in the woods.' Where is my coffee?
 mungojoe
Msg: 21
Posted: 8/17/2008 6:55:59 PM
Mungo,

Come on now...you're too intelligent to be debating me over semantics.

Don't mistake me for someone who thinks Bigfoot is real, my postings show otherwise.

I am however, willing to recognize that science and discovery are predicated on the unknown and that those discoveries, however big or small, typically boil down to someone asking "I wonder if...".

Folk-lore and legend have far more than occasionally been the source of inquiry and discovery.

Oh yeah, and as far as the supposed folklore goes concerning Bigfoot....says who ? If you're referring to the Skoocum legend then you might want to take a closer look at it, because the creature described there bears little resemblance to the creature we're all so interested in.

The majority of Native traditions have stories about giant, wild, 'people-like' creatures. Sometimes it is "otter men", sometimes it is "stone men" and, more often, it is large, hairy, mysterious 'people' who live in the woods/wilderness. In some cases they are symbols of nature, in others they are symbols of evil, 'sin' or some other 'violation of nature'. In some of the legends they live every day within their wilderness environments and in others they only appear at times of trouble and trial. These legends can be found among natives in every region of North America from the south-east US to the True North.

Legends do not make science or factual knowledge but I also recognize the sources for folk-lore and myth. In some cases the myth preceeds apparent 'events' (e.g. sightings because the person was acculturated to see such things), it is a source of explanation for natural/historic events or a means of teaching knowledge and values to the young (like fairy tales). In other cases they evolve from actual events which bear explaining and are passed down, embellished and expanded.

In the second case, exploring legends and their origins can lead us to real, factual knowledge about the world around us. In the first it can lead us to real cultural knowledge about the people who formulated the myths (eg Troy was discovered by someone trying to establish the factual basis, if any, behind some of the most enduring myths about the Trojans).

As I said before:

science listens and considers even if clear proof isn't there but it doesn't accept without it.
 Politically INCORRECT
Msg: 22
Posted: 8/18/2008 8:09:26 AM

I am however, willing to recognize that science and discovery are predicated on the unknown and that those discoveries, however big or small, typically boil down to someone asking "I wonder if...".

....they're Gay?

yna6
Msg: 23
Posted: 8/18/2008 8:15:26 AM
wouldn't be the first time a "discovery" has been claimed...but I'd be thinking twice about this one, seeing as the guy already has one hoax under his belt.
 linmar207
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 8/18/2008 9:16:42 AM
Very good point! But I'll go back to the finding here in Maine that have made us all wonder in this area...what kind of animal was that? Maybe there's not a lot of them but there was at least one and I've seen the publicized ph0tos from our local newspaper the Sun Journal if you'd like to check it out and draw your own conclusion.. I don't believe it was merely a dog with mange..the snout reminded me of a wolf pup but as for the rest of the body..no clue. This isn't to say that I believe Bigfoot, the Lockness Monster or aliens exist, but the Maine finding does put a wrench in the spoke of the nonbelievers somewhat I'd think.
 nd300
Msg: 25
Posted: 8/19/2008 6:54:22 AM
No evidence???????????Sir,there have been hundreds of hair samples,yoice recordings of sounds and calls made by something that when compared to recordings of all known animals who vocalize,came back as "unknown animal sounds not matching known species". Hair samples found,when compared to known apes, chimpanzees,and humans,came back "unknown species".
Footprints with very good dermal ridging have had plaster casts made for study.When compared to human and known species,they didn't match up.Again,no known matches came back.
Yes,there are and have been hoaxes played on the general public over the years.One of them was in fact played by one of the people involved in the latest Georgia "find".So people should be skeptical.The DNA results didn't help his cause either.Until we find a body,there will always be skeptics,and should be.
Personally,there has to be something going on out there.What it is I don't know.Yet when you have reported sightings from trained professional observers such as police officers,park rangers,and military observers,there has to be some grain of truth to it.
I'd love to see a(or several simultaneous) fully equipped expedition(s) to find definite proof in the form of a body,whether alive or dead.
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 8/19/2008 5:37:24 PM
Well, looks like one for the skeptics......

The Bigfoot in the freezer is made of rubber, a Web posting asserted Tuesday.

he initial promoter of two hikers' claim that they found the body of Bigfoot in Georgia said he has determined that the discovery was a hoax.

The body turned out to be rubber, and the two men who claimed that they found it, Matthew Whitton and Rick Dyer, have admitted that it was a costume, said a posting Tuesday on the Web sites of Searching for Bigfoot Inc. and Squatchdetective.

The posting purportedly was written by Steve Kulls, who maintains the Squatchdetective Web site and hosts a similarly named Internet radio program, where the find was announced weeks ago.

In addition, Stanford University anthropologist Richard Klein said Monday that he was not aware he had been identified as participating in the project and would not be involved in any effort to examine the purported Bigfoot carcass.

The hoax was discovered after an "expedited melting process," Kulls wrote. "A break appeared up near the feet area ... as the team and I began examining this area near the feet, I observed the foot which looked unnatural, reached in and confirmed it was a rubber foot."

Kulls said he contacted Tom Biscardi, the self-described "Real Bigfoot Hunter" who has been searching since 1971 for the creature of legend and appeared alongside Whitton and Dyer at the news conference.

"Later that day, Tom Biscardi informed us that both Matthew Whitton and Ricky Dyer admitted it was a costume," the posting said.

Whitton and Dyer reportedly agreed to sign a promissory note and an admission of the hoax and meet with Biscardi at their hotel on Sunday. But when Biscardi went to the hotel, the two had left, Kulls wrote.

"At this time, action is being instigated against the perpetrators," the posting said, adding that the motives behind the claims were unknown.

The posting said Biscardi's organization, Searching for Bigfoot Inc., "is seeking justice for themselves and for all the people who were deceived by this deception."

Kulls did not immediately return a call to the Squatchdetective contact number. A woman answering the phone at Searching for Bigfoot Inc. said Biscardi had been ill and said she was not sure when he would be returning calls.

A number listed as belonging to Matthew Whitton was disconnected as of Tuesday. Efforts to locate a phone number for Dyer on Tuesday were unsuccessful.

Dyer and Whitton failed to show up Monday for a scheduled appearance on CNN's "American Morning."

Kulls said that at the time he first interviewed Dyer on July 28 for the radio program, he suspected the duo's motive was financial. On August 12, he said, the two "requested an undisclosed sum of money as an advance, expected from the marketing and promotion."

Two days later, after signing a receipt and counting the money, Dyer and Whitton showed the Searching for Bigfoot team the freezer containing what they claimed was the body: "something appearing large, hairy and frozen in ice," Kulls wrote.

Dyer, he said, insisted on holding the news conference and told Biscardi he would not release the body unless the briefing was held Friday.

On Sunday, the research team was able to extract some hair and burn it. The hair sample "melted into a ball uncharacteristic of hair," Kulls wrote.

Biscardi then gave the group permission to expedite the melting process, and the rubber foot was discovered, Kulls wrote.

Meanwhile, Klein, the Stanford professor, said Monday that he was "sorry that my name and Stanford's name have been brought into this."

Klein's name was mentioned Friday as one of four scientists, two of them Russian, who would analyze the corpse. Klein said he was unaware that Biscardi had identified him.

He said he had been contacted by Biscardi in the past and responded to a request to examine bones that were identified as coming from a deer.

"He seems like a nice enough guy," Klein said, "but I can't imagine why anyone would devote their lives to proving the existence [of Bigfoot]. Anything has a remote chance of being true, but there is virtually no prospect of this animal being real."

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/08/19/bigfoot.hoax/index.html?iref=mpstoryview

This has to be one of the lamest attempts at a hoax I've heard of.

I trust they all get charged with something for even trying it, especially given their backgrounds. I can't figure out how anyone could ever think they would not wind up in a worse position FOR having tried it, and rather quickly too.

On the other hand, I can kind of imagine two Bigfoot creatures somewhere in the deep woods of the Pacific Northwest giving each other a high five right about now.
 mungojoe
Msg: 27
Posted: 8/19/2008 6:06:54 PM

Definately. How stupid can they be?

Apparently a shade smarter than anyone who paid any money to them for appearances or merchandise.

And clearly mental giants in comparison to Tom "Fool me once..." Biscardi.
Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  > A Bigfoot corpse discovered ?