Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Heading South      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Sweet J-me Baby
Msg: 2
Heading SouthPage 1 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
One suggestion would be to visit the Alabama forums...you may get some helpful insight from local people who can tell you the good and bad things the state has to offer.
 Thatguy67
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Heading South
Posted: 8/16/2008 8:04:01 AM
Try www.alabama.gov regarding living and working and other stuff.
 texasbaby
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Heading South
Posted: 8/16/2008 9:49:27 AM
Be prepared for the culture shock you will undoubtably experience. You will also spend a lot of time, at first, wondering what people are saying to you,, experssions and accents are very different in the south.
But, you will find warm people and the best food you ever ate! Southern folk can cook! Did I mention sweet tea? The drink of the South!

tb
 jadegreen
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Heading South
Posted: 8/16/2008 2:15:35 PM
Good choice. I took vacation in Alabama couple of times in my life and swore I'd move there too... I would even clean the boats just to make a living! The sea is great there...
 deetristate
Msg: 12
Heading South
Posted: 5/15/2017 9:26:47 AM
Just wondering what you all think about the movement to take down monuments in the south of Jackson, Lee, etc.
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 13
Heading South
Posted: 5/15/2017 10:07:09 AM
I'm assuming of course that you've already been in (or plan on touring) Alabama and the various places you have an interest in...(before you move there)...looking at websites may not be enough.

If so then make the move!
 cooldog65
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Heading South
Posted: 5/15/2017 10:25:57 AM
This topic is from 2008. I hope she already decided on heading south or not...
 LOLTrump
Msg: 15
Heading South
Posted: 5/15/2017 10:29:22 AM

This topic is from 2008. I hope she already decided on heading south or not..

Looking at her profile I would say she did not go anywhere.

So it was probably some loser who can't figure out how to start a new thread, trying to hijack the topic.
 deetristate
Msg: 16
Heading South
Posted: 5/15/2017 11:37:38 AM
Cooldog

The people obsessed with me (see immediately below and above for examples) delete any new thread that I start so I added to this one.

My question is what do people think of the movement in the South to remove statutes of generals from the confederacy and similar
Like Lee, Stonewall Jackson, etc.

There was recently a night protest in Va.
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 17
Heading South
Posted: 5/15/2017 11:47:32 AM

There was recently a night protest in Va.

Surprised you weren't there:

White nationalist Richard Spencer leads torch-bearing protesters defending Lee statue

RICHMOND — Self-proclaimed white nationalist Richard Spencer led a large group of demonstrators carrying torches and chanting “You will not replace us” Saturday in Charlottesville, protesting plans to remove a Confederate monument that has played an outsize role in this year’s race for Virginia governor.

“What brings us together is that we are white, we are a people, we will not be replaced,” Spencer said at an afternoon protest, the first of two rallies he led in the town where he once attended the University of Virginia.
 HawkingJr
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Heading South
Posted: 5/15/2017 3:14:21 PM
“My question is what do people think of the movement in the South to remove statutes of generals from the confederacy and similar
Like Lee, Stonewall Jackson, etc. There was recently a night protest in Va.”

As likely the only forum regular who has seen a burning cross (in my uncle’s yard in Alabama when I was a kid) and had to hide under the seat of my mother’s car numerous times during Klan rally traffic stops, I’ve got to say, I’m not really all that excited to see the return of this white nationalist-friendly environment, but considering Trump’s rhetoric, it’s not remotely surprising. For those who don’t know what Dee is talking about:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mayor-condemns-torch-bearing-protesters-defending-confederate-statue-203028776.html

This is my favorite part, the only modern day update to my supposedly long ancient memories:

“According to the Daily Progress, a local newspaper, several dozen protesters gathered in the park around 9 p.m. carrying torches and chanting, ‘You will not replace us,’ ‘Blood and soil’ and ‘Russia is our friend.’”

RUSSIA IS OUR FRIEND?!?! LOL! If I hadn’t known Spencer was involved, I’d think this was some kind of parody or conservative baiting ploy, but Spencer is the real deal, so it must be real! Certainly the 1980s Klan that I grew up would be ashamed of the association with Russia, but like everything else Trump loves, his followers love without question.

As for the statues themselves, I really don't care much one way or the other. I'm glad they are doing it because it's helping to expose the handful of racists that are still trying to hide in plain sight during the Trump Era, but so long as it's not a statue of a lynching or has an overwhelmingly racist inscription, then I'm not really bothered by it -- I mean, some of the founding fathers said and did racist things, yet their statues get to stay up and some of them are on our money, so what's the difference if it's Lee or Davis? I care more about how people in the South are currently treating people than what ancient statue they are worshipping. I will certainly not shed a bitter tear to see those statues disappear, but I can understand how some might see it as the government trying to do ISIS-type things and make history disappear. As a history buff, I'm definitely not big on that.

"The people obsessed with me (see immediately below and above for examples) delete any new thread that I start so I added to this one."

Do not attempt to start a debate and then cry "victim" when the debate starts.
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 19
Heading South
Posted: 5/15/2017 4:55:47 PM

Do not attempt to start a debate and then cry "victim" when the debate starts.

It's been this way for 2 years now, why would anything change?

As likely the only forum regular who has seen a burning cross (in my uncle’s yard in Alabama when I was a kid) and had to hide under the seat of my mother’s car numerous times during Klan rally traffic stops

I'm sorry those things happened to you :(
 congupnaroad
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Heading South
Posted: 5/15/2017 7:08:19 PM

My question is what do people think of the movement in the South to remove statutes of generals from the confederacy and similar
Like Lee, Stonewall Jackson, etc.

It's all part of the liberal master plan to cause division by demonising white Southerners, whilst forgetting that no white Southerner alive today has ever owned slaves. No different to their hypocrisy when Jimmy Carter proudly displayed the Confederate flag when he was campaigning and they said nothing then.

It is no different to the lies they tell about how they accept all cultures and religions, yet at the same time they demonise Christians. No different to how they now demonise Trump supporters, but such is their hypocrisy that they didn't care that Hillary was an unethical,corrupt, lying criminal dirtbag and a rape apologist to boot.
 LOLTrump
Msg: 21
Heading South
Posted: 5/15/2017 7:28:40 PM

It's all part of the liberal master plan to cause division by demonising white Southerners, whilst forgetting that no white Southerner alive today has ever owned slaves.

Or maybe they just wanted to see how many people couldn’t spell demonize.

It is no different to the lies they tell about how they accept all cultures and religions, yet at the same time they demonise Christians.

Oh those poor persecuted Christians.

No different to how they now demonise Trump supporters, but such is their hypocrisy that they didn't care that Hillary was an unethical,corrupt, lying criminal dirtbag and a rape apologist to boot.

Tell me more about the time Hillary gave classified information to the Russians, or claimed she goes around grabbing girls by the ****.
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 22
Heading South
Posted: 5/16/2017 3:27:54 AM

It's all part of the liberal master plan to cause division by demonising white Southerners, whilst forgetting that no white Southerner alive today has ever owned slaves.

An interesting viewpoint from someone whose never been within 6000 miles of the American South.
 LGL1975
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Heading South
Posted: 5/16/2017 8:13:38 AM
Trump is a Zionist. He just surrounds himself with fake nazis so the left will think he's a white supremacist and not talk about the elephant in the room.
 gtomustang
Msg: 24
going down South
Posted: 5/16/2017 2:30:20 PM
con-man, your posts are getting funnier lately. But then, Chump doesn't give you much to argue without coming off foolish, so I understand. There is no need whatsoever for there to be a liberal plan to demonize holding humans as property and making their de-humanization part of the institution. That stands on its own, it needs no grand plan to make it look bad--it looks uncivilized all on its own, except to racists.

its just that simple.

Does America put up statues to commemorate people who shot at American troops? I don't remember monuments to the Vietcong or the Imperial Japanese navy anywhere in the south. Do Southerners celebrate people who kill American troops while declaring their support for the troops?

How about governments that lost to America in wartime? Any memorials down south to the Nazis or the Emperor of Japan? Do the Southerners celebrate losers other than the Confederates? do they just have plaques where the British burned something in 1812?

maybe we should be consistant.
 VikingHoosier
Msg: 25
going down South
Posted: 5/24/2017 4:31:15 AM

Does America put up statues to commemorate people who shot at American troops? I don't remember monuments to the Vietcong or the Imperial Japanese navy anywhere in the south. Do Southerners celebrate people who kill American troops while declaring their support for the troops?

The more people destroy and complain about tasteful monuments to Southern history, the more I side with the South.

Yesterday where I live (St. Louis), vicious mobs showed up at a tasteful monument to grunt Southern soldiers (the flag in the sculpture is not even the X flag hijacked by white supremacists). TV news showed the anti-monument crowd (mostly white liberals) spitting at the pro monument people. The pro monument people were all calm and polite. The anti monument people refused to be interviewed by the press, probably because they know they're in the wrong. The anti monument people hid their faces, something associated with the KKK who hides behind hooded robes. Later some anti monument people vandalized the monument, spraypainting vulgarities and leaving a BLM sign. As usual, police did nothing, not arresting any of the vandals.

The authorities should have been proactive and installed cameras to catch anyone who commits the crimes of vandalizing the monument.

The people who oppose the monument must be pro slavery. Forest Park (the park with the monument) also has a statue of Thomas Jefferson, a slaveholder, in a large museum called the Jefferson Memorial.

Forest Park also has a memorial to the Union army. Their commander (Grant) was a slaveholder. The slaves were actually "owned" by his wife, but he's obviously a slaveholder by association. St. Louis also has statues to Henry Shaw, a slaveholder (again, the slaves were officially owned by his wife). When the Underground Railroad led a group of slaves to flee across the Mississippi to Illinois, Shaw was waiting on the other side to recapture his slaves. BLM doesn't deface the Grant or Shaw statues.

BLM obviously doesn't care about black-on-black crime.

No slaveholder fought in combat in the Civil War. All Confederate soldiers were poor white men. Most were drafted, forced to fight under threat of execution. As usual, black groups attack the poorest white men who lack the power to be racist even if we wanted. I shouldn't call the groups black because the NAACP is run by white women.

(NAACP stands for N****** Are Always Causing Problems).

Does America put up statues to commemorate people who shot at American troops?

Yes. Forest Park has a statue to King Louis of France, a crusader who led holy wars against Islam and other non-Judeo-Christian people for centuries. France committed genocide against north Africans, but Americans of African heritage don't seem to care. France was at war with the USA multiple times, and France sided with the Confederates during the Civil War, giving the South aid. France shot at American troops. I would like the city of St. Louis to change their name to whatever the Indians called the area.

Moving to the South was easy for me as I grew up a few miles north of the Mason Dixon line. Now I'm a few miles south of the line and happier. My neighbors, some who fly Confederate flags, are nicer than the white liberal hypocrites I had to live near when younger.

The Jewish Torah, a book of hate and violence, much of it adopted by the Christian Old Testament, has passages condoning the destruction and removal of statues of Gentile cultures. Destroying the other side's culture is typical USA behavior, as shown in 2003 when the USA destroyed museums in Iraq. At one time the Iraq area was the height of human civilization. Iraqis were highly evolved while Europeans were living in filth. The photo taking down the Saddam statue was propaganda, zooming in to simulate support from Iraqis. A photo from farther away showed the "crowd" of Iraqis was tiny!
 deetristate
Msg: 26
Heading South
Posted: 5/24/2017 6:03:27 AM
First, most BLM activists are white leftists. They just push blacks to the front in the camera like they do on every other issue that they create, from legalize marijuana to gay "rights" to any other debauchery that whites use blacks to promote.

Second, most black people have no love for the naacp. It was created and is controlled by jews and seldom does anything meaningful.

As far as the statutes, who cares? They have historical significance and it was actually pretty stupid to spend millions to remove them when schools need ceilings and books and teachers. It was particularly dumb in places like you talk about and Richmond and Lee Circle in new orleans where they are historic land marks.

But if their goal was to annoy people like you, it seems that they reached that goal.

I agree with you on the wimpiness of "authorities" especially the left leaning. That is why Trump won.

And as you acknowledge that whites run the naacp, are you also saying that the "N" as you used it can apply to anyone of any color, even you?

One theory is that some whites are too afraid to deal with the latinos and indians who are taking over many things so they focus on blacks.

Could be.

Also, perhaps one poster was right in saying that certain people encourage the black/white divide because then people ignore the group really running and controlling things.

But, again, statutes of people who lost the war should not really be a concern.
 LOLTrump
Msg: 27
Heading South
Posted: 5/24/2017 6:29:20 AM

First, most BLM activists are white leftists.

Fake news.

They just push blacks to the front in the camera like they do on every other issue that they create, from legalize marijuana to gay "rights" to any other debauchery that whites use blacks to promote.

You really need to go to the back of the bus.

Second, most black people have no love for the naacp. It was created and is controlled by jews and seldom does anything meaningful.

Paranoia, gonna get ya, time to get a new microwave.

As far as the statutes, who cares?

Dumb f*cks like you do apparently.

They have historical significance and it was actually pretty stupid to spend millions to remove them when schools need ceilings and books and teachers. It was particularly dumb in places like you talk about and Richmond and Lee Circle in new orleans where they are historic land marks.

It is also stupid and simple minded to think that the money used to pay for the removal of those statues comes from the same budget that pays for the schools.

As this statement clearly demonstrates you have less than a 3 grade understanding of how government budgets work.

Either way,

https://i.imgur.com/JsuLbvo.jpg
 VikingHoosier
Msg: 28
Heading South
Posted: 5/26/2017 6:59:16 AM
I realize Dee's question was about monuments to Confederate generals / leaders, so my post was somewhat of a tangent as it was about a monument honoring the memories of grunt soldiers who were forced to fight for the south, not to people with power.

As far as the statutes, who cares? They have historical significance and it was actually pretty stupid to spend millions to remove them when schools need ceilings and books and teachers.

The park I mentioned has zero basketball courts. There's a gofundme to remove the monument. Better if they raised money for a basketball court (some people believe the park has zero basketball courts because the powers that be don't want to encourage black youth from hanging out at the park).

The new mayor (a white liberal female) is gung ho about removing the 100+ year old monument. Of course she's just doing it to get black voters to re-elect her in 4 years. She's also trying to appoint a black police chief instead of considering the best candidate of any race. A typical white liberal, she sends her brats to a lily-white rich private school way out in the suburbs to keep they away from the icky poor kids (especially nonwhite ones) in the public school system.

And as you acknowledge that whites run the naacp, are you also saying that the "N" as you used it can apply to anyone of any color, even you?

The rare occasions I say N are never racial. My definition is an especially ignorant person. That definition is fitting for many actions of the (white controlled) NAACP, for example they condone Michael Vick's animal abuse and Michael Brown's strong arm robbery and the resulting rioting / arson / looting.

Having grown up in the hood and attended a ghetto school, am aware many people drop N bombs on a regular basis, sometimes as a term of affection and sometimes as meaningless as just meaning "person". I was called the N word, apparently "That N..." about me meant "That guy..." Thankfully they weren't saying I was especially ignorant.

I posted that the activists spitting on the monument were white to prevent people from assuming the troublemakers were black.

One thing they spraypainted on the monument was "FTP". Old school computer people might think of File Transfer Protocol, but the spraypainted message was "F--- The Police" (one of my favorite songs of all time has that title). I'm disappointed with the police for not arresting any of the vandals.

Thankfully, the vast majority of people in the area seem to favor keeping the monument or relocating it (not with taxpayer money) somewhere it would be appreciated such as a civil war cemetery.

One theory is that some whites are too afraid to deal with the latinos and indians who are taking over many things so they focus on blacks.

Guessing you mean Hindustani (people of India background, "dot", "7-11" Indians), not Native Americans (casino / feather). The government always lets corporations let in unlimited H-1B workers and their huge families from India, Russia, and other countries to steal jobs from Americans. The metro area where I live has terrible job prospects, therefore there is almost no Latino population as they go where the work goes. People often bring in day laborers and groups of Latinos from out of town to do projects for a fraction of what they'd pay a documented citizen. But there isn't enough work for them to live here as a primary residence.

I don't see anyone focusing on black Christians. The hate and blame tends to be directed at Muslims (many Muslims are black including Somali refugees who are regularly persecuted in liberal Minnesota, the liberal state where police murdered a black man in cold blood last summer). In the mid 20th century they focused their attacks on the "Japanese".
 deetristate
Msg: 29
Heading South
Posted: 5/26/2017 7:12:43 AM
Even state and local governments are hiring imported Hindustani to do IT work when Americans are trained for and need those jobs. Same thing with Engineers. Their families come and overstay visas. When was the last time that you went to a bank and there were not Indian loan officer, which answers the question why so many own businesses.

That is not even getting into the central, north and south american illegals.

I wonder why environmentalists aren't more concerned from that population effects on the environment standpoint. Much has been written. But maybe they were coopted like Sierra Club. Maybe they want us to have the population environmental problems of other countries because "we deserve it."

People will respond with the usual attempts at derision. But I live in reality and have kids to think about. I come in contact with these realities daily.
Join me in reality, leftists.

Then maybe we can work together to help and not martyr ourselves.

Americans who have been in charge hate themselves and their country. It may take something extreme happening to change it.
Election of Trump was the first step in extremism for change.
 gtomustang
Msg: 30
going down South
Posted: 5/26/2017 10:45:49 AM
in post 25, Viking Hoosier tells us:

"No slaveholder fought in combat in the Civil War. All Confederate soldiers were poor white men. Most were drafted, forced to fight under threat of execution. As usual, black groups attack the poorest white men who lack the power to be racist even if we wanted. I shouldn't call the groups black because the NAACP is run by white women.
(NAACP stands for N****** Are Always Causing Problems)."

>>>gotta admit, I haven't heard that last sentence before. Maybe its b/c I haven't been to St. Louis, maybe its a saying there. But he has a point, slaveholders existed everywhere. Its said the Civil War was just finishing the loophole of the Revolutionary War, where slave holders wrote in the Constitution "ALL MEN are created equal". As the old saying goes, its the victorious who write history as we know it (well, except Texas school books, they re-write history so we don't recognize it).

but again, how many statues do we have up celebrating the grunts who shot at American troops? I'm just not aware of memorials in America for the Viet Cong. How about the Tories who supported British troops during the Revolutionary War and ran to Canada after giving aid support and comfort to the British across the river from Valley Forge that winter? there must be a monument somewhere and I missed it. We took down the statue of Saddam Hussein in Iraq, was that wrong to do? It was historic after all. The crowd was not only as tiny as Chump's inauguration, the American flags were supplied by the Rendon Group, the Pentagon's advertising agency. As if people living in a dictatorship would dare to have flags of the enemy--heck, how many of us have flags of North Korea, waiting for the day they invade so we can wave them around?

I didn't know that BLM was sponsored by white liberals. So apparently when they rushed Bernie Sanders on stage, it was a white liberal plot against a white liberal politician. Still, one corner of my home state was economically stagnant when "The whites" ran it, and then the Native Americans were allowed to build some casinos on it, and whoosh! suddenly things got a little better with the cash moving around. I guess if someone wants to get off their ass and help out a neighborhood, why not, right?

"I wonder why environmentalists aren't more concerned from that population effects on the environment standpoint. "

>>>'cause every time they try to teach birth control, the Moral Majority Republicans throw a fit. "why are our tax dollars being used"...you know the drill.

hopefully, the OP is still reading this and found out all the things we appreciate about the south.
 LOLTrump
Msg: 31
Heading South
Posted: 5/26/2017 10:47:00 AM

When was the last time that you went to a bank and there were not Indian loan officer, which answers the question why so many own businesses.

Today.

People will respond with the usual attempts at derision. But I live in reality and have kids to think about. I come in contact with these realities daily.
Join me in reality, leftists.

Yep everyone join derpy dee and her made up stories.

Clearly she is just another paranoid right wing nutter.

Americans who have been in charge hate themselves and their country. It may take something extreme happening to change it.
Election of Trump was the first step in extremism for change.

Claims to love the country, but votes for a guy who is the in process of destroying the EPA and then claims the people who did all the work to protect the country from people like tRump are the bad guys.

It is not just stupid, it is derpy dee stupid.
 VikingHoosier
Msg: 32
Heading South
Posted: 5/26/2017 1:58:51 PM
Actually the leaders of the Sierra Club are xenophobic bigots. One was quoted as saying America shouldn't allow any immigration because she had a grandchild in utero and didn't want the kid to have to share the USA with a billion other people.

She's a hypocrite and not good for the environment because she added to human overpopulation.

I'm a treehugger but most of the top jobs in environmental groups are hijacked by people who are bad for the environment.

Another reason to hate Hindustani is they are bad for the planet. They were the first country to cause climate change (they deforested India, causing warming and drought).
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Heading South