Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Do you wonder when to say I love you?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 moraima
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Do you wonder when to say I love you?Page 1 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
I don't believe in making life complicated by questioning what to do. I do what is comfortable to me, and if it works out that is great.
 Sapphireeyes
Msg: 12
Do you wonder when to say I love you?
Posted: 8/17/2008 9:49:29 AM
Best time ever: Right when he starts to cum the first night you met ....ever watch a man try and get his sperm to go back inside...omg it is such a hoot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Especially if you can deadpan it and look seriously in love at that moment...totally ruins it for em and they wont ask you back out!

Of course Im kidding...but outside of the bedroom means alot more than inside or on the way there....dont conflict the emotions and confuse yourself. Love is a gift that you give to someone else to have its real meaning or value...keeping it inside is like half felt..the right time is when you know you are in love.
 c_deacon
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 8/17/2008 4:20:03 PM
Right AFTER the condom breaks........

Take that "sap"......

OT........There are some of us that do not say it at all, because we do not go down that path anymore, and have taken years and years to build those walls to protect that heart.

Does not mean that we do not care, or are not considerate and kind, but it does mean that we just do not allow ourselves to "fall in love" again.

Judge me by my actions, and not the words, because the words may never come.....even if I do........

Just my opinion.......
 Sapphireeyes
Msg: 16
Posted: 8/17/2008 4:26:40 PM

Right AFTER the condom breaks........

Take that "sap"......

Actually I agree with your whole post Mr. Deacon, a man's actions will show and count for more with me than words ever will....but the condom breaking was funny
 nikinikaia
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 8/17/2008 7:59:20 PM
Who's to say WHEN is the right time...my perspective, if you love them, tell them - you may not get the response to your declaration that you want, but at least you've been honest about your feelings. Nothing ventured, nothing gained...

*mae* flowers
Msg: 21
Posted: 8/17/2008 8:29:55 PM
....oooh, the dreaded "L" word. How about you keep those feelings to yourself for a bit, kinda savour them like a good wine. I think you will know when "its time". Good luck.

...maeflowers
 TxSippiGal
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 8/17/2008 8:30:24 PM
I never tell a guy I love him first...that is my rule. Now I might show him.. various ways.. and I will demonstrate how special he is.. to the point that I will lean toward mutual exclusivity on my end. without even discussing it with him first.. But I never... ever.. tell a man that I love him first.. ever.. I just think it puts pressure on them..

Now I might say it first if I got indication that he needed to hear it from me first.. I have no problem with that because everyone is different.. but I have not done that yet.

I have never had a man tell me he loved me and I didn't already love him. I have been in love with a man and never got to hear those words either. I might tell him if my feelings were strong enough.

I had a situation a few months ago had been dating a guy.. and I was really into him and thought he was into me.. and then it was one of those who went "poof".. I really had started to have strong feelings for this guy. When we finally talked about it and I had some closure I nearly told him. I sorta wished I had at least said "hey I was developing strong emotions for you".. if it happens again with a guy I think I will tell him at least that. I can't say I loved him because I hadn't known him well enough but it was strong attraction that led to strong feelings.

I am one of this who believe if you never take chances you'll never get what you want.. I'd rather take a chance and have it not be what I thought it was than not take a chance at all.
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 23
Posted: 9/7/2008 4:08:05 PM
...Trying to remember the last time I said those three little words...to a man......the year was 1996. Wow, that was a long time ago.

...maeflowers
 Moonchild51
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 9/7/2008 4:20:58 PM
Geeze Miss Mae....My last time was umm....2002 or 3? Not sure I would know how at this point. Way things are I've not much to worry about in the near future!
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 27
Posted: 9/7/2008 5:10:14 PM

Geeze Miss Mae....My last time was umm....2002 or 3? Not sure I would know how at this point. Way things are I've not much to worry about in the near future

...I know, its been a very long time.

The last time I said it...................about 15 minutes ago................and it was in response to him saying it......................

...Oh how wonderful for you....I did tell my sister I loved her when she left me at the airport....guess that doesn't count.

...maeflowers

*mae* flowers
Msg: 28
Posted: 9/7/2008 9:43:29 PM
lol...I guess it was a good year for both of us.

...maeflowers
 fancynanci
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 9/8/2008 12:12:27 PM
No. I say it when I mean it...when I truly feel love. No other time.
 c_deacon
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 9/9/2008 11:00:02 AM
I only say that "L" word when it truly is felt and absolutely needs to be said, and that has not happened in a very, very, long time.

I am of the opposite attitude, and very up front about my heart being protected and bricked because of long term abuse. It does not mean that I do not care, or that I treat others poorly, but much more that I can only give so much of myself, and the one part that is off base for now, is my heart.

It can be very hard on others to understand, but if forewarned about it and where your "head and heart" are at, then there is little reason to expect more. None of this means that we do not love, just means that we can not love the way some want us to......yet.

I find that many who think they love another will use it as an excuse for many things done wrong to that person, or themselves, while those of us that do not love, will actually work even harder at treating others as well, if not better then we treat ourselves.

It becomes not the word or statement, but the actions of each of you as you work on developing a relationship, and I have had more than one say to me, that "you may not say the words, but, you show your love by your actions!"

If one believes this, and will accept it and the other for what is there, the rest will happen as meant to be. I have over the years, seen more hurt and harm committed, given, received, and attained using the word "love", as the excuse for many many things, but seldom have seen it when showing by actions instead.

Just my opinion.......
 ankkka
Msg: 40
Posted: 9/14/2008 2:51:01 PM
The sweetest words "I LOVE YOU" mean nothing for a man...
It is not about the words ...but how to express your love for him...
And I think...every woman knows many ways...without the words...how to show her love for a man...if he can't read in her eyes!
 ankkka
Msg: 42
Posted: 9/14/2008 4:39:37 PM
OK...I'm sorry...

Words for you are important.
For me is important true feeling and action.

OldFolkie
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Posted: 9/17/2008 10:00:03 PM
What? No strawberries with the chocolate and champagne? Clearly you need further lessons in decadence!
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 61
Posted: 9/17/2008 11:13:14 PM
And then there comes the time when you or he stops saying it. There is an echo that rings loudly when "I love you"/"I love you too" stops.
I hate that sound!

...The sound of silence...how deafening....that nothingness just hangs in the air... you hold your breath, waiting.

...maeflowers
 OldFolkie
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Posted: 9/17/2008 11:29:21 PM
It is deafening, Mae. I'm probably breaking a PoF Rule or three, but what the hell, I'm old...and I'm a folksinger. So these lyrics are especially appropriate to your post.

SOUND OF SILENCE
(Paul Simon)

Hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again
Because a vision softly creeping
Left its seeds while I was sleeping
And the vision that was planted in my brain
Still remains
Within the sound of silence

In restless dreams I walked alone
Narrow streets of cobblestone
'Neath the halo of a street lamp
I turned my collar to the cold and damp
When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

And in the naked light I saw
Ten thousand people, maybe more,
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening
People writing songs that voices never share
And no-one dare,
Disturb the sounds of silence

Fools said I "You do not know
Silence like a cancer grows."
Hear my words that I might teach you
Take my arms that I might reach you
But my words, like silent raindrops fell
And echoed in the wells of silence

And the people bowed and prayed
To the neon God they made
And the sign flashed out its warning
In the words that it was forming
And the sign said
"The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls and
tenement halls."
And whispered in the sounds of silence.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Words and music by Paul Simon. Copyright 1964 and 1965 by
Charing Cross Music.
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 65
Posted: 9/18/2008 9:27:26 AM

It is deafening, Mae. I'm probably breaking a PoF Rule or three, but what the hell, I'm old...and I'm a folksinger. So these lyrics are especially appropriate to your post.

SOUND OF SILENCE
(Paul Simon)

...Beautiful song, beautiful words....thank you....

When and if the time comes that I need to express myself...my heart will lead the way.

...maeflowers
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 69
Posted: 9/18/2008 8:48:45 PM
....Its been so long since I've been in a loving relationship...and I'm a very demonstrative lady.....so theres going to be a lot of "loving" going on

...maeflowers
 jm0405
Msg: 77
Posted: 2/12/2009 10:04:04 AM
I believe in saying what you feel when you feel it. No holds barred. What if they leave? Then that means we were in a 1-way relationship anyway - I simply found out! Call it discovery! What if they stay? Then we are on the same path, which is great - the goal in Relationship-Land.
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 80
Posted: 2/16/2009 10:59:51 PM

...I have never held back my feelings. I follow my heart and my instincts..if I love them, I tell them ....at this point in my life, I'm not so sure I'll ever get that chance again.

...maeflowers
 Landra
Msg: 82
Posted: 2/17/2009 12:09:52 AM

Geez you would think that saying "I love you" was a criminal offense. Some folks are just easy to love and not telling them that you love them is equal to a lie of omission. Kind of!
Anyway there are lots of folks in my life that I love, family and friends, and it would be a real shame if I didn't tell them I love them. Gosh I could be run over by a truck tomorrow and a lost opportunity would never present itself again.
It seems showing affection, love, warmth and being genuine IS a crime judging by the way people react.
I often wonder what would happen if more people expressed their love for one another, more often. Would being loving become the norm, or would we still panic and call it "the L word"?
When did showing positive emotions and feelings towards another person become such a huge, scary, complicated issue? It really puzzles me how the very word LOVE makes people so upset and confused. (even Valentine's Day was such a drama for some!)
I'm torn between being as loving and expressive as I've always been - or- shutting down so people don't go running off in a panic. It seems hearing "I love you" is viewed as a commitment or obligation and people just don't want to hear it.
I guess if you say it when you feel it, you run the risk of scaring people away.
 Landra
Msg: 85
Posted: 2/17/2009 10:21:00 AM

if i am dating someone and i feel love for them. i say it. if they cant get universal lov, thats not my problem. people should love eacho ther.
That's what I think-- it's a universal love. I can't imagine a scenario where "I love you" SLIPPED out and feeling concerned about it, wondering how the other person will react (badly). How could saying "I love you" to another person be said at the wrong time?
So what you're saying is-- "I better not express my loving feelings towards someone because they might not like it and then they might leave me"
What a world.
 browneyesboo
Msg: 88
Posted: 2/17/2009 1:42:37 PM
I say I love you a lot.
and when I say it I mean it.
Doesn't mean I expect you to say it back to me.
Doesn't even mean I expect you to love me.
It just means I LOVE YOU.
I don't think anyone else can tell you when you're
ready to say you love someone. I think people have
different definitions of what love means to them
and I don't think the word love is overused.
But then I like to keep things simple...so what do I know.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Do you wonder when to say I love you?