Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Could you exist today without a CELL phone????      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Thatguy67
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Could you exist today without a CELL phone????Page 1 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
I am existing right now without one. Never had any pressing need for one. Given that everyone else seems to have one, I just borrow theirs......
 raxarsr
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Could you exist today without a CELL phone????
Posted: 8/17/2008 12:00:23 PM
nope......dont need one.......dont want one.................shoot.......i dont even have a credit card
 Padawan61
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 8/17/2008 12:04:23 PM
In todays fast paced world, and some peepz dont even have a WIRED phone in their homes

I'm one of those "peepz" without a wired phone in the home. Being single with no family members, it's just makes more sense to have a cellphone ... being portable and all. I don't want to go home just to check messages ... and a cell is more versatile if your vehicle breaks down ... especially in the middle of a Canadian winter. I wouldn't want to walk miles to find a pay phone in -35 temperatures.

Can we exist without a cellphone or any piece of technology?? I suppose we could. People have done so for ages before the advent of what's available today. Technology simply makes life more comfortable and convenient. You can choose how much of that technology enters your life.

my kids barely know what a WIRED phone is, let alone what a PARTY line is, or a eight track and they barely know what tapes are

I know what Eight Track tapes are, but what's a party line?? I still have my old records.

Given that everyone else seems to have one, I just borrow theirs......

Well ... you can't borrow mine. Some people might frown upon a stranger (without a cellphone) using up their allotted monthly minutes because the stranger person is too cheap to get their own phone.
 The Artful Codger
Msg: 5
Cell phones?
Posted: 8/17/2008 12:15:54 PM
Without one, how would I know there was another sudden family emergency going on somewhere that precluded my continuing a bad PoF date?!

OT: I have two features on my cell phone that I can't live without: Its ability to take messages for me and the OFF button.
 lindy_3333
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 8/17/2008 2:20:44 PM
I remember fighting my ex about getting a microwave after they were out!

Seems most kids now have a cell phone... I float back and forth on my opinion on this. Can the parents afford it? Is there limits? There are a lot of things anymore to take into consideration now-a-days for so many things when it comes to adults spending money on things, let alone what we think the kids need or don't.

Since you are the one raising your kids and paying for whatever, I suppose you should ask your parents opinion on why they think your kids are spoiled, think about it and do what you think is best. If you are wrong, you will have to deal with the consequences, AND your parents telling you they told you so! LOL..

But, Do NOT take my microwave, my video cam, computer, printer, laptop, or my cell phone away!!! GET BACK!! Mine, mine, mine!!
 Belle Requin
Msg: 7
Cell phones?
Posted: 8/17/2008 3:13:19 PM
I have a blackberry, and it is on it's way to becoming indispensible. I work in a law office.

Firstly, I need my cell phone for work. It is an absolute requirement for my job. There are weeks when I am "on-call". I need to be able to call my paging company to take a call wherever I am. It's indispensible for texting co-worker to let them know quick updates or ask questions- I can text in a court room, I can't make a call in a court room.

My job has me recieving 20-50 emails a day, and unfortunately, I only get an hour or two in my office each work day (unless I stay past 6). Checking email in court? Lifesaver. Allows me to make use of time I'd spend just sitting in court waiting.

The blackberry is much smaller than a large agenda, and I can sync it with my comp. Saves space in the briefcase, can carry it easily all the time, can allow secretary to view my agenda via office network rather than calling me to find out where I am or when I can meet a client.

Also, because I have very little free time, I'm glad I don't have to be at my house for a friend to call me- without the cell phone, I'd miss out on a lot of get togethers with friends.

Obviously, not everyone's life is going to need it the way I do. My career however does not let me live without a cell phone.

I don't however think a 9 year old needs a cell phone. I think parents assume if they can call their kids, their kids won't be in trouble- which is BS.
 Padawan61
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 8/17/2008 8:26:11 PM
So all these people rushing to state they don’t have a wired phone, are they all on wireless internet or have they just missed an obvious error in their story

No ... I don't think I've missed anything in my post. I really don't have wired home phone. Haven't needed one for a good 11 years. Wireless Internet isn't related to having or not having a wired phone ... although I do have wireless Internet as another function of my smartphone.
 Thatguy67
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 8/18/2008 4:48:02 AM
"Well ... you can't borrow mine."
 Sortin
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 8/18/2008 8:45:30 AM

So all these people rushing to state they don’t have a wired phone, are they all on wireless internet or have they just missed an obvious error in their story

Cable internet...phone lines aren't the only way to connect. And yes, I have internet on my phone, but it's slower than dial-up, and quite buggy. But my phone is 3 years old (and was not "the newest" when I got it)

I've had unlimited minutes on my phone since December of '05. I've never had to worry about my own minutes, and can't get one of those "surprise!" bills.
 feeltobefree
Msg: 19
Posted: 8/18/2008 2:36:08 PM
very happily thank you very much....
 Padawan61
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 8/18/2008 11:00:47 PM
"Well ... you can't borrow mine."

LOL ... no need to cry about it, Thatguy67. I think homeless shelters give 'em away for free. Of course, you have to look the part.

And yes, I have internet on my phone, but it's slower than dial-up, and quite buggy

That's too bad. The Internet on my phone is much faster than dial-up and isn't buggy at all.
 Sortin
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 8/19/2008 1:46:06 PM
The internet on my phone is free. I use it to check my email, POF, Myspace, stock prices, football scores, get directions, and can also look up movie times and have even bought things on ebay with it. Maybe none of that interests you, but I think it's useful, and since it doesn't cost any extra...why not use it?
 Padawan61
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 8/19/2008 6:03:10 PM

The internet on my phone is free

Well, that explains why your Internet is slower than dial-up.

I use it to check my email, POF, Myspace, stock prices, football scores, get directions, and can also look up movie times and have even bought things on ebay with it. Maybe none of that interests you

Checking email
Myspace
Stock Market
Football Scores
Movie Times
Directions?? The jury is out on this one.
 Padawan61
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 8/19/2008 8:18:54 PM
I don't have a cell phone activated and I'm doing fine. Sure, sometimes it would facilitate but I was not born with one and I used to cope

I wasn't born with a cellphone either but one was surgically implanted in place of my spleen after I popped out.
 ChocolateNutt
Msg: 26
Posted: 8/22/2008 8:54:41 PM
Yes, I surely could. I use my cell only for emergencies or for my daughter to contact me when we're apart.

Nutt
 Padawan61
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 8/23/2008 8:49:26 PM

I wouldn't want my cell phone to be my primary phone like some people do, as researchers are discovering it may cause brain cancer with constant long term use

That has yet to be proven. And if you use a cordless phone, you may get brain cancer too. There are always some study going on about how everything is going to kill us all.
 shoulderlegs
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 8/24/2008 9:26:41 PM
Don't have one, don't need one... ain't never gonna GET one! I can't STAND cell phones... AND the morons who drive while talking on them, and damned near kill ME in the process.
 neo~hippie
Msg: 35
Posted: 8/26/2008 12:22:07 PM
raxarsr amen. i hate cell phones...piss me off to no end, i use to programme computers for fun. and still cant work a cell phone.
 2findU
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 8/26/2008 12:52:13 PM
I am existing without a cell phone. I have no use for one. AND if I did have one its only purpose would for telephone use not all the other bells & whistles they come with.
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 8/27/2008 1:46:10 PM
No. I mean, i lived without one for years. But they do come extremely in handy when you have to have one for emergenices. Some times the nearist pay phone could be 20 miles away or longer.
 Padawan61
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 8/27/2008 8:43:25 PM
I wouldn't want my cell phone to be my primary phone like some people do, as researchers are discovering it may cause brain cancer with constant long term use

That has yet to be proven. And if you use a cordless phone, you may get brain cancer too. There are always some study going on about how everything is going to kill us all

I even heard that we might all die eventually despite all precautions

Imagine that ... and I thought I would live forever. Dang those pesky cellphones.
 mysteriousromeo
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 2/11/2009 6:48:38 PM
Most definitely. I think it's rather pathetic how so many people are so attached to their cell phones. What's even worse is when parents buy their 10 yr old kids cell phones. I have a pre-paid cell phone that I carry with me maybe 20% of the time. Most of the time it just sits in my truck. I'm not that important; I don't need to be available to people every minute of the day.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 41
Posted: 2/11/2009 9:32:05 PM
~OT~ I didn't think I could until I'd finally had enough of the constant barrage of calls which lead me to "disconnect" mode. That was May of last year and the only time I have missed it was when I was traveling and stranded in horrific weather.
 helpimstuck
Msg: 42
Posted: 2/11/2009 9:36:42 PM
yes... .. i rather not have one but company makes me have one... not that i answer it when they call..
 LexyAlexia
Msg: 43
Posted: 2/12/2009 7:33:13 AM
I can survive without a cell phone. But I do not want to. Just the same as the internet, car or indoor toilet.

I do not have home phone. I use cell for US call and Skype or IM voice chat for international.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Could you exist today without a CELL phone????