Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Do attractive people have more trouble being monogamous?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Ferruginous
Msg: 3
Do attractive people have more trouble being monogamous?Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
I think it has more to do with a person's morals, and their commitment to their partner, than their attractiveness.

If a person is committed to a monogamous relationship, they'll completelty ignore, or not even notice, any opportunities to cheat.
 geeleebee
Msg: 4
Do attractive people have more trouble being monogamous?
Posted: 8/20/2008 11:28:39 AM
'Attractive' is subjective. Monogamy has more to do with what's on the inside, rather than the outside.
 isoU
Msg: 6
Posted: 8/20/2008 11:36:34 AM
YES ... good looking ppl DO NOT NEED to be monogamous !!!!!!

They have more opportunity therefor more temptation.

Without a doubt good looking men sleep around more.
 duckling
Msg: 7
Posted: 8/20/2008 11:48:11 AM
I wouldn't know. I was just curious what the attractive people thought (and who thought they're attractive)!
 OutMind
Msg: 9
Posted: 8/20/2008 12:35:28 PM
Most attractive women I have gone out with were severely monogamous. Some very attractive guys are just whores, but then what I have seen with others is that they just find some incredibly hot woman and stick together like glue. So it's relative. If anything it is the attractive guys the ones that sleep around more.
 CEO of Hoagie Inc.
Msg: 13
Posted: 8/20/2008 1:14:37 PM
only if they are inherently a whore!
 fancynanci
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 8/20/2008 1:46:06 PM
No. Cheaters are the people who have trouble being monogamous.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 18
Posted: 8/20/2008 2:12:47 PM
Maybe ugly people cheat to feel attractive?
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 20
Posted: 8/20/2008 2:43:32 PM
I was just re-thinking this. My ex was exceptionally handsome and a cheater. I don't think it was that he had so many offers (but he did apparently find willing participants) I think he had three issues: no self-esteem, no brain cells above the belt and a winky with wanderlust. That just can't be a good combination.
 SweetnSassyNatureLover
Msg: 21
Posted: 8/20/2008 2:44:51 PM

No. Cheaters are the people who have trouble being monogamous.

Some of the questions that I read just are amazing!!!! OP are you seriously asking this question???

It has nothing to do with a persons looks as to whether or not they are faithful. It has to do with their character, who they are as a person. To imply that people who society considers (beauty is in the eye of the beholder and someone who cheats has NO beauty in my eyes) beautiful are more likely to cheat is ridiculous.
 shamrockguy
Msg: 23
Posted: 8/20/2008 3:47:15 PM
Yes, attractive people have quite a bit more pressure on them from sources outside of their relationship. I am by no means an attractive man. I tend to date very attractive women. I have friends who women drool over as well. Believe me. I don't get hit on, and they got hit on constantly. Most of them have cheated. Sad, but true:(
Of course a person's moral fiber and there regard for their own principals are going to be factors. However, we are all human. All of us. We all are susceptible to temptation when it's there. When it isn't, well then we aren't:)
It's amazing how many people find themselves attractive isn't it?
 cookie22222
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 8/21/2008 7:24:20 AM
People who are unhappy in their relationships or people who are unhappy within themselves cheat - doesn't matter what they look like.
 CzechLee
Msg: 37
Posted: 8/21/2008 11:10:16 AM
I agree. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder anyway. Who is to say who is attractive and who is not. My ex-girlfriend and I had a monogamous relationship even though it was long distance. When we finally broke it off after seriously trying because living arraingments could not be taken care of, then going out with other people became ok.

We were honest enough to admit when it would not work, and honest enough to tell each other afterwards if we were dating someone else.
 daynadaze
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 8/21/2008 11:18:38 AM
What a big ole pile of steaming BS. For some reason people tend to think that good looking people have it easier and get more, is not true, ugly people lie, cheat, steal and get caught up in drama just as much as pretty people, they also fall in love, have good marriages/relationships and happy lives and good jobs, just as often as pretty people do. Don't believe everything you read, look around, notice how many average to ugly people have it made in the shade while some pretty damn good looking people can't catch a drop of luck. It all evens out in the wash. Anyone who thinks they can't do or get something because of their looks is selling themselves short and anyone who thinks looks is all you need is selling themselves even shorter. It's an excuse that some use to not get above the pity-party whiner's club.
 arwen52
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 8/21/2008 5:22:00 PM
I think my "looks" are average but I am frequently told I am very attractive. I'm definitely a very sexual woman, live very much in my body, am comfortable in my body, and feel very at ease with myself which, I presume, is why some people find me attractive. I have absolutely no trouble being monogamous when I'm in a fulfilling relationship.
 SweetnSassyNatureLover
Msg: 46
Posted: 8/21/2008 6:56:59 PM
Yes attractive people have more trouble because their just so darn burdened with all that beauty that instead of having any morals or brains or standards. They are stuck with just good looks, they can't help themselves it's not their fault, unlike the rest of the average/plain/ugly people who never cheat or go outside of monogamy!!!!
 brownie360
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 8/22/2008 12:15:42 AM
Get yourself a ugly man - Millie Jackson
 brownie360
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 8/22/2008 12:17:44 AM
It's CHARACTER; or the lack thereof is why people cheat, not beauty.
 SweetnSassyNatureLover
Msg: 58
Posted: 8/22/2008 12:58:53 AM

Some of the responses here truly boggle my mind.

SOME people who attract a lot of others are actually slightly repulsed by those who are only interested in their looks, and would prefer to create a loving bond with someone who appreciates them for WHO THEY ARE... so why would they cheat based on someone who thinks they look hot that night?

Novel concept apparently?

Wow well put Sassyaquarious!!! Some people just don't get it do they.
 zangie
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 8/22/2008 8:32:53 PM
Attractive people who brag, or have to continually say how attractive they are, aren't very attractive to me personally...

I think they have more opportunities...but, their personality determines how they behave or react to those opportunities...speaking as someone who isn't on the high end of that scale...I have had plenty of opportunities to cheat anyway..but, don't because I believe it is wrong. I don't think the looks determine it...the mindset does...
 ab07
Msg: 65
Posted: 10/12/2009 3:28:40 PM
Attractive men tend to cheat more because men in general are not given blatent sex opportunities like many women are. Women grow used to that over time ... but men really don't. None that I know of anyway. It's as if really attractive woman where given a better shot at high priced jobs that are normally given to men. They would likely take them because it's not a normal experience for many women. It's not pretty but it's somewhat true.
 damassteel
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 10/12/2009 5:36:45 PM
What an interesting set of responses... I feel this ones almost like the "does size matter?" kind of question. One wonders just how frank people are willing to be. Personally I can say that being considered attractive, I get more than my share of potential oportunities and if I were so inclined, I would probably have more sexual opportunities than , let's say some other men that were not considered by some women to quite as attractive.
But attractiveness is more than looks alone, so that must somehow be factored in.
I know fully well I don't appeal to every woman, but over the years I've received enough feedback of the kind that leads me to believe I've a certain appeal. If I'd acted on all such opportunities I would've been a very busy guy indeed. When I was much younger I was fascinated by the whole thing and took quite a few liberties in that direction and could cearly see that I was getting more attention from the ladies than some other of my friends. So, I would say that attractive people have an edge and some may even take advantage of their fortunes, but it doesn't mean that all so endowed will do this After the fascination faded, I grew to be very constant in my affections toward my wife and made it 18 years w/out an "incident".
 Stafford_Jim
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Posted: 10/12/2009 6:23:58 PM

You can have a million dollar body/aura but still have a 10 cent brain.

If you are a charismatic/attractive/aura person, and you are in a relationship, you choose to stay in it or choose to indulge with some "strange". It's all about choice.

The problem is that the ones that the cheaters cheat with don't care about the 10 cent brain, they're looking for the million dollar fun-spot.

My ex-wife was a cheater, her affairs were not long lasting. All the guys (except one) were there for the moment. They weren't looking at spending the rest of their lives with her. She was quite attractive back then and always received attention from men around her but she was the one who paid the price in the end. Now she's looking at turning 40 in about a year, divorced twice, her looks have faded, she's about 200lbs, and she has a kid with one of the guys she thought would love her forever, now she's pretty much stuck in a pool of whatever guys that are left who will take all of that.

I hate to say it, but I've known several acquaintances who had no problems banging married women, some even sought them out. Again they weren't there for the distance, they were there until the next willing woman came along who pleased them more.

Being pretty doesn't mean you can't say "No".

Very true, but it does mean you have a lot more opportunity to decide whether or not to say no.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Do attractive people have more trouble being monogamous?