Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ontario  > Why are you here?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Greanize
Msg: 1
Why are you here?Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
We all have our own reasons why we are here. Some want to date, some want to make friends, some want a relationship, some want to attend the many awesome parties, and some just want to be on the forums and interact with the good peeps here.
I am one of those people that seek friends only at this time and 'frankly' I get so darn tired of having to justify that to 'potential suitors'!
Frequently, I get messaged or emailed by someone asking if I want to meet, (no preamble) and when I say, I am here for friends only, some get testy and say...well, why are you here?
I know I don't have to explain or justify my reasons. What amazes me are the amount of people that do not know of the social side of this site! So when I say I am here for friends, parties, and keep intouch with some great peeps, I get flack!
How do any of you handle these kinds of approaches if someone gets 'testy' over your choices and reasons?
 dwinottawa
Msg: 2
Why are you here?
Posted: 8/21/2008 3:52:14 PM
I'm here because I want to meet that someone special to spend the rest of my life with. I don't go to bars, though I do attend some social events. I do plan on attending some of the POF socials.

Some of you know I'm pretty new at this, but all the same, it doesn't take long to become indoctrinated into the bizarre side of this site. That being said, my sister found the man she is going to marry here, so maybe I will have that same kind of luck. I have also started reading the forums. Lots of interesting things to read about, lots of opinions, lots of laughs.

I don't think anyone need explain why they are here, and I do think some people should really read the spot in our profiles that says what kind of people should not contact us. But it certainly does make life interesting at times, LOL. So here's to enjoying being here, whatever the reason.

By the way, for the short time I've been on here, I have become very familiar with the delete and block options. Works wonders.
 VainH
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Why are you here?
Posted: 8/21/2008 5:14:56 PM
I like pissing people off. Not to flame them (usually ) , just to get them to reconsider their stupid preconceptions. Other than that, the old forum I posted at was going downhill and eventually died. I needed somewhere to talk at people.

Are you guys saying this is also a dating site?
 Celticmist
Msg: 4
Why are you here?
Posted: 8/21/2008 11:18:00 PM

We all have our own reasons why we are here. Some want to date, some want to make friends, some want a relationship, some want to attend the many awesome parties, and some just want to be on the forums and interact with the good peeps here.

- all of the above, and so far it's been a lot of fun, I 've made a whole bunch of new friends male and female, dated a few nice men, and the odd not so nice man, posted in the forums, laughed a lot, gone to a lot of POF events, and plan to go to more.
 Mae B
Msg: 5
Why are you here?
Posted: 8/22/2008 11:41:25 AM
I'm here nowadays for self amusement in many forms.

Funny, I smiled when I saw the posts of the people I know.. Lisa, diggy,leeanne, greanize, & My I to name a few.
The forums & their discussions, stupidity of some and good points of others amuse me moreso than why I originally joined.
 Greanize
Msg: 6
Why are you here?
Posted: 8/23/2008 8:39:56 AM
There are a lot of great responses here about why people are here, but I think a lot of you did not get what I was really asking. It is the 'snotty' "Why are you here?' question one gets when you tell them you are not here to date or have a relationship.
Block and delete is some peoples response to that kind of attitude, but I tend to be a bit more forgiving and do not hit that block button unless the person becomes rude or obnoxious.
 JohnyPhoto
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Why are you here?
Posted: 8/23/2008 11:35:27 AM
I'm on here for a variety of reasons. I originally came onboard seeking dates and the opportunity to meet some nice local women or to make some nice friends in Kingston since I'd just moved here for work (Canadian Forces).

Over the years, been messaged by quite a number of "special" cases which had made me think twice about being on sites like this one but in the one, I may as well keep the door open. Someone decent might show up... might... I find this is a great outlook to meet new friends and out of those, one can become more if things work out. Otherwise, you just have a lot of friends, both in the real life or online or a mix of both.

Forums are pretty entertaining too, lots of good reads and a few worthwhile subjects to respond to.
 justadude247
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Why are you here?
Posted: 8/23/2008 1:17:51 PM
I would think that iam here to try and meet a compatible person to go one dates with and dancing etc but it seems kinda hard sense there is alot of crap also but i would guess you need to go threw alot of people before you meet the right person to spend time with you. well atleast i hope its that way anyways.
 dwinottawa
Msg: 9
Why are you here?
Posted: 8/23/2008 1:19:21 PM
I don't know why people behave the way they do, especially when making the first contact with another person. But I have a thought on your situation, which may or may not make sense, but I'll throw it out there anyway.

Maybe the you get that snotty "Why are you here?" question because you are a beautiful woman. And when a man sees a beautiful woman, he wants to get to know her. Perhaps when you say you are not here to date and have a relationship it's a defence mechamism. Maybe they feel rejected, and use it to annoy you, or try to hurt you. Their hopes have been dashed, so it's only natural that some, not all, but some will be snotty about it. And when it's done online, there's really no consequence in being a jerk.

Come on guys, what do you think? Seriously, who else would know better than you guys. I know it's not just a guy thing, many women can behave the same way, probably even worse.
 Firmbear8
Msg: 10
Why are you here?
Posted: 8/24/2008 6:12:32 PM
LOL
Yes very good question for sure !
Why am I here I really do not know any more .
I joined up in the begining to maybe find that sweet loving long term sweetheart out there who is for me!
But since the day I joined and up to the present time it seems to be just a waist of my time being a member on here.
Ladies don't read my emails and none never email me who are interested in dating me.
So I guess its just a place for when I am bored to read forums & see what the single world is botching about today !
But I have also noticed everyone tends to pick every thing apart and disect it to death no matter if it is a forum posted for help with something or about dating!
As for me I would rather date someone then internet chat or disect a person to death online.
 Greanize
Msg: 11
Why are you here?
Posted: 8/25/2008 10:32:43 AM
Maybe the you get that snotty "Why are you here?" question because you are a beautiful woman. And when a man sees a beautiful woman, he wants to get to know her. Perhaps when you say you are not here to date and have a relationship it's a defence mechamism. Maybe they feel rejected, and use it to annoy you, or try to hurt you. Their hopes have been dashed, so it's only natural that some, not all, but some will be snotty about it. And when it's done online, there's really no consequence in being a jerk.

dwinottawa that was a lovely thing for you to say and I think you have a point there. Someone once posted in another thread on a different topic pertaining to rudeness that I have always remembered and keep in my mind when someone says something rude and insulting: There is always someone out there who will try to make you feel small so they can have a moment where they can feel big!
 dwinottawa
Msg: 12
Why are you here?
Posted: 8/25/2008 3:44:33 PM
Once you clarified your question, I just mentioned what seemed obvious to me greanize. It always was that way, and always will be I think, just using a different forum. I remember back in the dark ages when we had no online dating, or even computers, if a couple of us gals went out to a bar to have a girl's night out, the men would hit on us, and when turned away, would get quite smart assed and snotty. And I remember some doozies. The thing then was at least we could turn around and embarrass the hell out of them in front of the crowd in a bar.

Times have changed, but human nature hasn't.
 MacGregrrrr
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Why are you here?
Posted: 8/28/2008 5:00:59 AM
I came seeking attraction, sadly still no satisfaction, now just here for the distraction ...
 Optimistic for 2008
Msg: 14
Why are you here?
Posted: 8/28/2008 4:54:15 PM
Too meet someone and get OFF of Here!
 Ms.Birdie
Msg: 15
Why are you here?
Posted: 8/30/2008 6:33:25 AM
I hate it when men say " Why is a beautiful girl like you single...."

Maybe because I have a mind and I need to satsify that too along with my physical needs?? Geez.
 fawnangel
Msg: 16
Why are you here?
Posted: 8/31/2008 10:14:23 PM
I am here now, because most of my friends are here and I host a monthly event that if I stop I would be hung...lol

I do sometimes get hassled when men see that I am not interested in anything but friendship...but heck..I found my soulmate...and low and behold I found him at a POF event...so I stay and host an event to say thank you to POF and the gang for giving me happiness.
 Greanize
Msg: 17
Why are you here?
Posted: 9/1/2008 8:42:15 AM
/\/\/\/\/\/\ See, that is what frustrates me. Why should anyone ever be hassled. If your profile states you are not looking to meet anyone or go out on dates, then that should be end of story. There is no need to be hassled or have to explain "Why you are here".

I solved my problem for a while. I hid my profile until the time comes that I feel I am ready to hang my single shingle out again!
 Firmbear8
Msg: 18
Why are you here?
Posted: 9/2/2008 5:50:15 PM
Heck I was here looking for my best friend/long term lover and a sweet loving companion for life ! But seems no women are looing for the same as me !LOL
So maybe I should change my shingle to read YARD SALE !
LOL
 Firmbear8
Msg: 19
Why are you here?
Posted: 9/3/2008 8:12:41 PM
Yep I have to agree with you Amore !
Seems more like a pof web party group who love to meet & drink .
And also have to agree about most events tend to only draw couples and very few singles if any .
Oh yes some will say their all singles but never saw many who actually were single at these events so I tend to not bother with much of these events any more.
 someonetookmyname
Msg: 20
Why are you here?
Posted: 9/5/2008 11:08:18 AM
the only reason you both would be thinking that is the length of time youve been on this site . Richard whats this your 8th yr here ? I guess some folks dont get the fact that their shitty atitude and bitterness towards the opposite sex may be what handcuffs them to pof or other dating sites .... Richard no one wants a grumpy oldman =] .... wow... some folks on pof have made friends with others on this site..... thats called socal networking ...isnt that what this site is for . If you people put in as much effort in your emailing habits as you do ****ing about this and that on pof you wouldnt be single .
 someonetookmyname
Msg: 21
Why are you here?
Posted: 9/5/2008 11:43:32 AM
amore dont be greedy that wasnt all ment for you , just the parts that apply to what youve posted . I dont see what the big deal is with couples attending the events where they met , its them that gets everyone on the dance floor .... how about this visual for your ALL singles POF party.......

people show up

they order drinks

the music is playing

girls are on the dance floor

guys stand around the dance floor like gators waiting for a snack

they order more drinks ( even the host =] )

the party ends

keep in mind... some of the people that complain about the couples being there have shown up at some point in time during there pofing career with someone they have met off this site ... or elsewhere
 Firmbear8
Msg: 22
Why are you here?
Posted: 9/5/2008 7:02:57 PM
HAHAHA!
Theres Old almost got a name again !LOL
Hey firmbear has never been grumpy with available ladies ! He only gets grumpy with tranies and women who are not single on here! haha
Too bad alot of people do not know how to lighten up and realize just because someone comments on a forum does not mean the person is grumpy !
But I have noticed alot don't take time to read and understand most things posted in these forums or even when they read the local news paper !.
Maybe that explains why so many on here don't date but rather sit at home and complain about stuff posted in forums!
And as to when did I first join this site that was 2005 . And the first 2 years I never even knew about these forums or if they were even free to post in. And over the past two years seems to me by my findings that women I find interesting enough to send email to don't even read them . They tend to just check who sent them and see if they have a pic and then delete the email. LOL
And Old almost got a name I may not be geting any ladies from pof interested in me but I have and continue to meet sweet ladies even you'd kill to date !
But yep still no ladies really seeking long term that I have found .
Oh well life is short so who cares I am gonna have fun with or with out a mate.
 racefan77
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Why are you here?
Posted: 9/8/2008 4:24:24 PM
i'm here to meet the one i'd want to spend the rest of my life with.
 Danteslnferno
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Why are you here?
Posted: 10/19/2008 6:44:40 PM
I first came to POF because the voices told me to. Then i took med's and the voices went away and so did I. My prescription ran out so here I am again ... and so are they ...

NO I WILL NOT TYPE THAT ... Go away ... QUIT YELLING!!! hahahahahahahaha

Tell them that and they will never ask you why you are here again lmao
 mystrygal
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Why are you here?
Posted: 10/19/2008 7:32:44 PM
Dante you are to much....an tell the voices to quit yelling

Im here for the cute little and the dancing banana

forums are my hook to being here.....
Show ALL Forums  > Ontario  > Why are you here?