Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > Why is being funny so important to women?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 We_Design_Our_Lives
Msg: 1
Why is being funny so important to women?Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Yes, everyone loves to laugh....but it's just a quality/ability that some people (men) have.

Why is it so important?...Why for so many is it the #1 criteria?

Is it because you don't really *need* anyone and you basically just want to be entertained?

Seriously...why is laughter so important but so rarely are personality traits (integrty, etc.) at the top of the list. (So many times I go on dates and all they seem to care about is if I make them laugh!...It's good but is it the basis of anything real and long term?)
 Closing Shop
Msg: 2
Why is being funny so important to women?
Posted: 8/22/2008 6:43:11 AM

why is laughter so important but so rarely are personality traits (integrty, etc.) at the top of the list.

Because when your dog runs away and your house burns down, integrity won't cheer you up.
 ImAHotMess
Msg: 3
Posted: 8/22/2008 6:58:13 AM
Are you looking at profiles of 18 year olds??? lol I am not to sure who is adding "must be able to laugh" as being important and a #1 trait. Maybe what some people are trying to say is have a personality. And to ask if we "really dont *need* anyone and just want to be entertained?" WTF...if that was the case I would go to a damn comedy club and be entertained without any expectations. Not to sure where you are going with this. Start looking at women's profiles and not little girls.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 4
Posted: 8/22/2008 7:15:06 AM
Because I am not overly serious about life, so when I make jokes about stuff, dark or otherwise, he's gotta get me - if he doesn't share my sense of humor, he goes buh bye.

Sometimes, he should be able to crack a joke as well.

I'd just as soon tell jokes to myself, or drum up an audience of strangers on the street than date someone who can't laugh at anything.

Oh and I hate drama and downward spirals in a man - if he can't cope with his own life and laugh at things, that means he'll probably wallow a lot - which isn't real attractive to me. He'll spend a lot of time alone, or being hung up on - I don't do social work.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 5
Posted: 8/22/2008 9:09:13 AM
Seriously...why is laughter so important but so rarely are personality traits (integrty, etc.) at the top of the list. (So many times I go on dates and all they seem to care about is if I make them laugh!...It's good but is it the basis of anything real and long term?)

Integrity is part of someone's character, not personality.

~OT~ Laughter is how I handle everything in life. Sadness, happiness, love, loss, etc., etc. I can be serious when it's appropriate, but I see no real need to be so when it isn't. I find absolutely no value in making life tougher than it already is. Laughter can make even the darkest times seem not so bad.
 BaldyisBeautiful
Msg: 6
Posted: 8/22/2008 9:10:31 AM
Because they want something to do after they have used and abused us for sex!

I am soooo tired of just being a sex object to all you women. Why can't you respect me in the morning?
Posted: 8/22/2008 9:17:50 AM
I think being funny means that you are quick witted and charming and you can quickly adapt to any situation. All good qualities in themselves.
 Gangster Kitten
Msg: 8
Posted: 8/22/2008 9:19:03 AM
"Life is too important to be taken seriously."
 BaldyisBeautiful
Msg: 9
Posted: 8/22/2008 10:02:53 AM

I'll be your huckleberry............

He'll also be your blueberry, blackberry, strawberry and raspberry!

I don;t like peopel who take themselves too seriously and can't laugh at themselves.

How about laughing at others? Is that ok also? Cause there are some people here that do the stupidest stuff!
 BaldyisBeautiful
Msg: 10
Posted: 8/22/2008 10:45:46 AM

very flirtatious fun with women where it made them feel safe.......

Just goes to show that you can't even trust a good sense of humor!!
 thatswhatshesaid
Msg: 11
Posted: 8/22/2008 11:06:47 AM

But my humor tends to fall more on the sarcastic side. Not too many people understand it.

Yes, I was going to point out that a "sense of humor" really reflects a person's outlook on life in a spontanous way, that is much more real than listing supposed traits about yourself on a profile.

There is sarcastic humor, dry deadpan humor, goofy, riotous, extroverted clowny humor, etc. and not everyone responds to all these styles of humor equally.

If the other person responds to whichever type of humor you have, the chances that you see the world in a similar way, or at least can relate to the others point of view are probably pretty good.

We_Design_Our_Lives
Msg: 12
Posted: 8/22/2008 12:25:27 PM
>> OP, I don't think anyone is necessarily wanting something like humour over something like "integrity".

Oh, they are....absolutely...that's the point of this thread...WHY do so many women have that as the #1?

When I'm funny all other things go out the window...they never ask me questions the reveal my character or personality.

>> Why can't we want both? Why must it be one or the other?

Who said anything about one or the other?

>> As many others have said, sense of humour is important

But that's not the question....why is it THE MOST IMPORTANT? (who said humor wasn't important...not I!)
 BaldyisBeautiful
Msg: 13
Posted: 8/22/2008 1:02:13 PM

I absolutely adore a dry deadpan kind of witty humor. You women are lucky Baldy doesn't live to close to me, because you would be out of luck!

I have no idea what she means by that!
 Diadora
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 8/22/2008 1:45:06 PM
Life can be difficult, strange, tragic and confusing.
Integrity certainly can get you through it but you run the risk of of being a dictatorial bore if it is not paired with a sense of humor.
I find that I have a more comfortable and enjoyable relationship with a person who can see the humor in the flaws of life, weave them into their conversations and laugh, then I do with people who are makeing it through life on integrity alone.
DiaDora
 adscititious
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 8/22/2008 1:50:15 PM

Why is being funny important to women?

Because they want to have a good laugh, before they break up with you.
 Pleasurelimits
Msg: 16
Posted: 8/22/2008 9:01:15 PM
Just like my beautiful LL said, laughter plays with the sexiest organ and, having been brought up by my grandad who had the philosophy that laugh a gut busting laugh once a day and love like there is no tomorrow and you will live a long and happy life. He was a WW1 sniper and told me that when guys came to the farm to pick up my mom for dates he would point out his 'lee-enfield' rifle and t ell them he could shoot the eye out of a bird in flight so you better 'bring her back the same way you picked her up' and his other good one was the trouble with young people these days is they think they invented oral sex, I miss my pop
 SueCat51
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 8/23/2008 8:02:56 PM
OP - have you ever met a person that the only smile they had was their vertical one? That perhaps when they laughed, it was mistaken for a wheez or gasping for their last breath? We all need to laugh! It's more fun to laugh at ourselves, than to laugh at someone else (at their expense). Laughter makes people feel so much better!
 Sapphireeyes
Msg: 18
Posted: 8/23/2008 8:38:54 PM
Op, some men are so uptight and serious, if they cracked a smile their face might break...I dont think it is that a person has to be funny but has to have a sense of humor.

Laughter is good stuff. When you find someone who you can laugh with abandon with that is priceless. Different people have different sense of humor finding someone who "gets" your humor makes the journey in life better.

Humor is also a good indication of wit, Ever been with someone that when something bad happened they looked at the positive side and then laughed off what happened.
 discrete_contact
Msg: 19
Posted: 8/23/2008 10:06:02 PM
I guess they want to see you acting as a clown so you "cover whileworthly" the price of sex (potential sex pard' me) in addition to the other things (or crap) you need to do.
On the other hand when you would say.... please her...that's for free for her and "auto-implied"....the only one paying is you. (because you are considered the "sex-dork" here)
And when you don't pay it means you are not inetersted and you are walking....and not even "laughing" or similing anymore to "her"....then it comes to poker faces.
 Dumpling-Girl
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 8/24/2008 12:55:59 AM
Personality matching, plain and simple. Some people are too serious for me. People who love to laugh would find someone who doesn't laugh and doesn't cause those around them to laugh somewhat restrictive.

And yes, I want to be amused by my partner. I don't need a stand-up (don't think most stand-up comedian's personalities would be a good match for me anyway), but making me laugh is a good thing. Knowing when to be serious is also good though.
 knutcase
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 8/31/2008 8:21:30 PM
Sharing life's joys and sorrows are a must if you want to be a good partner. When you partner is down then she would like someone to cheer her up after having a good cry. Also laughing makes you feel good and if you feel good when you are with someone then you obviously want to be with them more. If you are single then you have had the incident we all probably share. Your watching your favorite T.V. show and either something funny happens in it or there is an unbelievably good commercial that makes you laugh. You look around and realize you are alone and laughing like a loon. You either call someone and say you will never believe this or you feel like an idiot and stifle your laughter. Now if you have a partner you can laugh with she may be in the kitchen cooking or doing laundry and you can walk in and tell her what you saw and she is going to laugh with you and moments like that will draw you closer. Life is too hard to take seriously.

Personally I am one of those that want someone with a sense of humor. Not someone who when I say something dumb deliberately for laughs looks at me like I have lost it or who actually believes I am that dumb or puts me down for my joke. A guy who can laugh will take it a step further. That is part of the spice of life that makes things so enjoyable. We dont want to sound depressing and like we need to be "treated" by saying I am looking for a man to let me cry on his shoulder all the time. It is easier to say looking to share laughter.
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > Why is being funny so important to women?