Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > How do men feel about women with silver hair?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ReadMeAPoem
Msg: 1
How do men feel about women with silver hair?Page 1 of 16    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16)
After my daughter got married, a little over two years ago, I decided to see how I'd look if I stopped coloring my hair. It was a tough year, but now it's grown in and I like it. My stbx (soon to be ex) said he liked it, but he left anyway - don't think that was why. The people who know me are constantly complimenting me on it, but I wonder if some people (men) consciously or not overlook women with grey or silver hair, no matter how young their faces are.

Any opinions?
 texasbaby
Msg: 2
view profile
History
How do men feel about women with silver hair?
Posted: 8/23/2008 11:03:24 PM
I'm a silver haired woman ~ have been for a long time. But, I'd never spend the time or money involved in coloring my hair. I don't have any negative feelings about other women who do make that choice,, it's just not MY thing.
I suppose if a man was interested in me,, well, he'd probably like my hair just fine too. If my hair color is an issue to him,, he's just not the one for me. How simple it that?
I don't feel the color has caused me to slow down and get old ~ Ah,, I think, if that's happening to me,, it's more about the number of birthdays I've celebrated. Sort of the way that works with everyone, in my opinion.

tb
 ForumFilly
Msg: 3
Posted: 8/23/2008 11:16:42 PM
Mine would be very salt and pepper if I didn't color it, not silvery like yours. Having gray roots showing makes me feel older and therefore I seem to look older. I always feel much younger after just getting my hair colored. Beside with black eyebrows and lashes, gray hair would make me look like Lorne Greene (Bonanza)!
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 4
Posted: 8/23/2008 11:31:07 PM
Mine started to turn in my early thirties. Can't say I've noticed a lack of males in my life. So if some don't like it, there are plenty who do. I died it off and on till my late forties, by which time, even *I* was impressed with how pretty it was, lol!, and I have hardly touched it since then. I trim the ends when I get a spiral perm (every four years or so), shampoo and let it dry naturally, and that's it.

Do as thee wishes: it's the only thing that will make you happy.

Sapphireeyes
Msg: 5
Posted: 8/23/2008 11:45:57 PM

If I could pull it off I would save $150 a month...

Dang, I really cant imagine spending that much to color my hair. Not that yours doesnt look good. After the chemo I had a patch that was stark white, the color never came back so I started coloring it to keep from looking like a comic strip character.
 rustytraveler
Msg: 6
Posted: 8/24/2008 3:17:16 AM
Wooby darlin'....who's that gorgeous thing hanging off your arm there?

Renaissance as usual...all ego and little substance, me thinks thou protests too much..trust me, we know
who the majority are.

Cowboy and Oscarz, as usual....all substance and a clear view of the BS factor... thank goodness
there are a few of you out there ;-)!

LMK45
Msg: 7
Posted: 8/24/2008 6:17:37 AM
OP, you're naturally attractive and your silver hair works beautifully for you because of your skin tone. I think skin tone is the key for anyone thinking of going natural or coloring their hair.

I love NOT having to fuss with coloring my hair since going platinum ... it's the same color I used to be prior to it actually becoming this way naturally in my early 40's.
 Hd-Lowrider
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 8/24/2008 7:11:23 AM
Saphireyes..I think you should have kept the white patch. I always did think Yvonne De Carlo looked hot with hers in The Munsters.

Grey, White, salt & pepper, colored, natural, silky, straight, curly, kinky, split ends....makes no difference. It's what's under the hair that matters.
 Merrylass
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 8/24/2008 9:53:49 AM
Some people look absolutely terrific with silver hair. In fact, I've seen several men and women who have gone all white far before their time and they were very attractive.

I think, overall, it depends on whether you've got true white hair or if it's greyish or yellowish. Your eye colour and skin tone also make a difference; people with blue eyes and fair skin often look terrific with white hair.

I never gauge age by hair colour; I look at the wear & tear on faces; worn, leathery, wrinkly = 'old' to me no matter what the hair colour.
 Sapphireeyes
Msg: 10
Posted: 8/24/2008 10:54:47 AM

It's ok, though, I'm kind of used to being the minority opinion in the fora.

Being a minority is one thing, to try to make your opinion mean more than just your opinion is another. When someone disagrees to fall back on the man bashing thing gets old.
 c_deacon
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 8/24/2008 11:00:20 AM
Part of the problem is the length of hair, as much as the bias between gray on men versus gray on women.

If a man has long hair and not color it, it makes him look that much older as well, and not consistent with salt and pepper while the length is longer. Men with shorter hair and some gray mixing in at the temples or somewhat salt and pepper, will look distinguished and attractive.

Most of the the women that I have seen that look attractive with gray hair, will have it shorter and styled more to show it off. Many women just prefer to hide the gray and feel younger in their own minds, as well as those that view them, just as they do with make up, and style of dress to compliment those looks head to foot.

I know that more people mentioned the gray in my hair when it was much longer, then they do now that it is much shorter, and yet I have not ever colored it, or changed it in any way, other than the length.

Just my opinion.......
 ReadMeAPoem
Msg: 12
Posted: 8/24/2008 6:53:21 PM
Thanks for all the feedback!

I have to confess - one of the reasons I decided to let it go is because it grows SO FAST and I'd have roots a week after I colored it. It was costing me a bloody fortune!

I get MORE magazine and there is a model with long silver hair and my stylist thinks mine looks good longer. I am thinking of getting it shorter next time. Years ago, a 20-something hair stylist told me I could have grey hair or long hair but not long grey hair. However, I see great long silver manes out west (not so much on the East coast.)

Like I said, the people I know tell me they like it - my face looks a lot younger in contrast. I agree with whoever said the worst look is dark with white roots. I tried a temporary blond and it didn't look good - still too much dark hair in there, especially in the back. In fact, the reason I colored it for so long was because my white was all in the front and I had a sort of Cruelle De Ville look going on!

Gentlemen, you never have to apologize for being honest! I didn't want to start a brawl!!!!

By the way, why are you referring to me as OP?
 SueCat51
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 8/24/2008 7:51:41 PM
Silver - there are men who will appreciate a woman, simply for WHO SHE IS! We're all a bunch of "crack pots", you know those "imperfections". Going gray/silver, drooping boobs, balding, and getting wrinkled up is a fact of life. If a man passes a woman up when the head of her hair is silver/gray, then what in sam hell is a man going to do when a woman gets the silver/gray hair down there, in PubesLand? Quit having sex with her? Give me a break.

Hair can be one's greatest asset with the right color, style, and length, or it can be a liability. Take what you have and work with it, and have fun doing it. Quit worrying about what the fellas like.
 MoFuzz
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 8/24/2008 9:59:00 PM
Silver hair on women is totally sexy.
 Henry L. Moon
Msg: 16
Posted: 8/25/2008 7:22:43 AM
I need to know what the woman with silver hair is doing first? If she is burnin' my clothes to get me out of her house, then I'm not going to like her all that much!
 ankkka
Msg: 17
Posted: 8/25/2008 7:32:04 AM
Long...long time ago...women used white and huge wigs...and it was beautiful.
A man did not look at her hair...but into her eyes.
Now...a man does not look at her hair...not in her eyes even...but at her breast!

I'm thankful I have hair!
 Moonchild51
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 8/25/2008 7:37:13 AM
If I age gracefully with "silver" hair, then that is ok by me. But I have seen some women that sport the yellow haired look. To me, that is unattractive and I won't be doing it anytime soon!
 Diadora
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 8/26/2008 11:29:13 AM
Has a lot to do with your skin tone. Grey or Silver hair makes you look tired and greenish if you have too sallow a complexion (yellow undertones). If you have pink or peach it often brightens your complexion.

The bottom line is if you look and feel good. Do it. If you don't dye it.
 pokerjimmy
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 8/27/2008 8:17:24 AM
Looks great on you.
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 22
Posted: 8/28/2008 4:31:56 PM
Perhaps I should shave or wax 'down below' which causes a painful rash on my sensitive skin. Nope, think I'll just stay "au naturel" and hope the man I'm with is too caught up in the moment to notice the sparkly pubes.

...Ouch!!....*cringes at the thought*. Anyone ever see that episode of sex and the city where Samantha finds her first grey hair down there? In an attempt to cover the grey she dyes her pubies but accidently uses a bright red, to eleviate that problem she shaves it all off and ends up going "au naturel"....good episode.

...maeflowers
 ReadMeAPoem
Msg: 23
Posted: 8/28/2008 9:00:49 PM
Wow! I never expected to stir up such a hornets' nest!

I really DO want honest feedback, not just validation of my decision, contrary to what some responders think. I just wonder - I find men my age can look very young or very old. And most men, as far as I know, don't color their hair. I guess I'll just have to make everything ELSE look good - because I just can't afford and don't want to spend all that money and time at the salon, or to fry my hair by doing it myself. I think it is probably more important for women with grey, silver, or white hair to make sure it is well styled and to choose flattering clothes.
 boatbum101
Msg: 24
Posted: 8/29/2008 2:39:18 AM
Being confident in your own skin is SEXY period.
 Sapphireeyes
Msg: 25
Posted: 8/29/2008 9:21:24 AM
Stevelfun,

I agree any hair that is dry and frazzled looks bad, not just *silver hair.

I also loved the statement that being comfortable in your own skin is sexy.

OP, the only thing I can add to this discussion is that for some men the way a woman looks they take that as a reflection on them, they would prefer not to date someone with silver in their hair cause they would feel it would make them look older...rather stupid on their part but it is the way things are. They want arm candy someone who makes them look good and they arent worried about you as a person but more how your looks effect their ego...would you really want to be involved with someone who would overlook you for a date because of your hair color. Heck I am thinking about dying mine silver just to get rid of such nonsense.
 Optimistic for 2008
Msg: 26
Posted: 8/29/2008 8:44:46 PM
Like everything looks great on some and not so great on others...

I did see a silver haired woman a week ago in Canadian Tire's parking lot that while I was transfixed on her beauty I left in my car and I left my purchase in the shopping cart only to realize it half way home...
 safn1949
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 9/6/2008 9:33:47 PM
You look fabulous,I like silver hair.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > How do men feel about women with silver hair?