Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Craving....      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 SAguy_06
Msg: 2
Craving....Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
You must be from NorthTexas...

I recently ate at a Grandy's in Sherman...I was disapointed in the chicken. Pieces were too small and seemed overcooked. The price was sky high too.
I rather eat at that Yellow and Red chicken chain, sorry forgot the name (chicken express?). Their breasts are huge and cajuny.

In South Texas, Churches and Bill Miller's smoke Grandy's.

Now I want Chicken, but im gonna BBQ with lots of Sauce, cole slaw, ranch style beans, and Texican rice.
 texasbaby
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Craving....
Posted: 8/24/2008 9:37:55 AM
SS ~ I absolutely believe cravings are often due to a need for some deficient nutrient.On the other hand,,,
It's called comfort food for a reason and fried chicken, to me, is a biggie. I just bet being a bit homesick might have something to do with it.So, here's a big ole southern for you.
I have to agree with SAguy about Texas chicken joints,, Chicken Express is great!
My 7 yr. old gave me, in his opinion, the highest compliment last week. I made homemade chicken strips and Pioneer pepper gravy for dinner one night. He took the first bite and told me that it tasted just like the chicken we buy in town and I was so awesome of a cook!

tb
 texasbaby
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Craving....
Posted: 8/24/2008 2:29:53 PM
Lol, on that note, I think I'll go pour myself one.

tb
 vbxtc
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Craving....
Posted: 8/24/2008 6:52:54 PM
When I was in college and feeling homesick, then I would desperately crave my grandmothers home cooking, specifically fried pork chops, gravy and potato salad, but especially her homemade desserts. One Christmas I flew back to the East Coast and she was waiting with homemade cinnamon rolls, chocolate cake, lemon pound cake and tollhouse cookies. I gained 7 pounds in 4 days...and my coach was pissed. But I'd like to see him argue with her...

When I start getting really big ice cream cravings then I know that I haven't been taking my calcium pills daily. I used to go through a lot, but since I started taking calcium a few years ago I rarely indulge, and never HAVE to have it anymore unless I skip my pills.

And even though I know I shouldn't, I sometimes get a Want To, Need To, Gotta Have 'em craving for ribs or barbeque that just can't be ignored.
Craving....
Posted: 8/25/2008 1:46:06 AM
Hi SmilingSalmon...

Just great!!!! Now I'm going to want to go to the store, buy a container of chicken livers and dredge them in a mixture of flour and seasonings and fry them JUST because YOU put the idea in my head....LOL

I have not had them in a very long time and, there is this place in Boca Raton called, "Fran's Chicken Haven" which has been around since the 60's. I believe that they have fried chicken livers on the menu. My grandmother Syl Syl isn't around anymore and, she made the BEST chopped liver...EVER....omg...wish I had that recipe lying around.

Hmm...maybe I will just make them myself as a sort of "experiment" thing. LOL

You're the best SmilingSalmon...Hope you are doing okay..Hang in there...
EVERYONE gets cravings from time to time and NOT just from being preggers.

~~Beth~~
 Green Eyes In Florida
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Craving....
Posted: 8/25/2008 10:28:07 PM
You had to go and "do it"..didn't ya Smiling Salmon??????

Okay..YOU put the "craving" idea into my head so much that last night...I was dreaming chicken livers..LOL...omg...so I was on a quest today to find chicken livers that had been cooked ..NOT ones that I would have to "slave over".wasn't in the mood.

Soooo....I opted NOT to go to Fran's Chicken Haven since when I googled them, I discovered that SOMEONE else said that this place called, "Maryland Chicken" was even BETTER!! ..I had to get gas ANYWAY..and, it IS cheaper gas in that direction...(I was able to find it for $3.66 a gallon, regular unleaded) so, I headed out that way.
Have to say that I was a little disappointed. I guess I was expecting a "different taste" and thought they would be crispy or something, but okay..I've NOW satisfied THAT craving. LOL..
PLEASE DON'T have anymore cravings for awhile..LOL...
(I'm teasing ya Smiling Salmon)....I loves ya gf...

~~Beth~~
 Internetdatingpariah
Msg: 13
Craving....
Posted: 8/27/2008 9:30:07 AM
Hmmm...every once in a while I have this enormous craving for sex.
But since that ain't happening I substitute a big old juicy bacon cheese burger with gravy soaked steak fries and an ice cold pint of Rolling Rock!
 Green Eyes In Florida
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Craving....
Posted: 8/27/2008 8:32:16 PM
SmilingSalmon: Hey gf....Don't cry honey..We're ALL with you regarding the "cravings"...AND we understand too....

Thought since you were craving for "liver"..even though this is NOT a recipe for chicken livers...thought you might like it. It is a recipe from one of my late grandmother's late dearest friends, Lee Goldman who wrote a cookbook called,
"Promises"...this is actually from the 3rd Edition published. So hope you will try it!!

LIVER WITH CHERRIES & WINE

INGREDIENTS:
1 1/2 LB calves liver Oil and seasoning
1 tsp. flour 5 oz of Madera or Marsala wine
3 Tbls pitted cherries Finely chopped parsley

DIRECTIONS:
Cut liver in 2" squares and saute quickly in oil. Sprinkle in flour. Mix well - add seasoning and cherries. Add wine and simmer very slowly for 15 minutes.

Sounds pretty simple. Let me know if you make it and if you enjoy it or not.

Until then.....Happy Labor Day weekend coming up all....

~~Beth~~
 ImAHotMess
Msg: 18
Craving....
Posted: 8/30/2008 5:03:46 AM
POMAGRANATES! I do not care what time of year it is, I love this fruit. Unfortunatly they are only fresh and in season for such a short period of time. I get Pomagranate juice, but it is not the same as having the fruit. My second weakness is Kiwi fruit...those I can get all the time. :)
 Green Eyes In Florida
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Craving....
Posted: 9/4/2008 12:01:57 PM
Hey SmilingSalmon...(and everyone else too!!)

I don't know if you ever saw the cookbook, "Promises", but it is by Lee Goldman. I have no idea if it was published for the public market, but it could have been. I have copies from my belated, dear Grandmother, "Syl Syl"....If I can muster up another copy, I'll save you one SmilingSalmon, dear.

Glad you got your gizzards and glad they were tasty. Are you having any other cravings? I haven't, since you mentioned the chicken livers and, as you saw, I was kind of disappointed. Maybe I will try them at Fran's Chicken Haven and see if they are any better.

Okay...take care all..
~~Beth~~

P. S. Waiting on SmilingSalmon to give me another idea of something to crave. LOL
 oceaneyess
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Craving....
Posted: 9/4/2008 1:21:11 PM
Every now and then I crave Fried Chicken (homemade) and mashed potatoes and gravy.
 Green Eyes In Florida
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Craving....
Posted: 9/13/2008 11:47:56 PM
Right now..I'm craving something that will stick to my ribs.
Don't you hate it when you are hungry and don't know what will satisfy that hunger???

Oh well...going to scrounge around in my fridge.

I had some popcorn already. LOL It didn't do it for me!!!

~~Beth~~
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Craving....