Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > How do you define "Athletic"?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Flying in Faith
Msg: 1
How do you define "Athletic"?Page 1 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
Noticed someone's post:
"It's very funny how most of people on this site define their body type as athletic. Mirror Mirror, tell me who I am? ;)"

I work out several times a week and consider myself athletic; when I cut down to less than twice a week I actually change my profile to average.

I'm wondering how other people choose a setting on that one.

Of all things to post on I know, its a puff piece - lol! How do you define non-relegious was already well covered.
 sportbikes4life
Msg: 2
How do you define Athletic?
Posted: 8/25/2008 6:15:21 PM
hard to say or define...
i just dont like it when people say they are athletic, and sure they go to the gym all the time, but theyre totally not in shape. be in decent shape if you claim to be athletic lol
 CMonster
Msg: 3
Posted: 8/25/2008 7:31:11 PM
I say that a person would just need to regularly take part in some athletic endeavor. Not a once in a while hobby or just a seasonal sport, but something sports related that is a part of their active lifestyle.
 funtasy
Msg: 4
Posted: 8/25/2008 7:50:54 PM
depends on the defintion as well, athletic look or athletic lifestyle?
 adistar25
Msg: 5
Posted: 8/25/2008 8:08:48 PM
Someone who is active in sports, weights, etc.. most days of the week.
 crazytimes1
Msg: 6
Posted: 8/26/2008 5:24:54 AM
I am active every day of the week and do not define myself as athletic. Why?

I see 'athletic' for men as regular exerciser having reasonable muscle and defined enough for a six pack. For women, reasonable muscle, decently low body fat and regular exerciser, no six pack required.

My abs are not defined enough to consider myself atheletic, so I do not. 'Average' is far from accurate, but experience has shown that it does not create false impressions and no one has complained.
 PiercedTungBlkM
Msg: 7
Posted: 8/26/2008 7:50:22 AM
The word "athletic" in this sense is being used to describe a physical appearance. The other choices - average, few extra pounds, etc all describe physical appearances and not how often someone goes to the gym or is active. This is similar to how to define beauty...it's in the eyes of the beholder. Instead of having all these definitions and words to describe us, full body pictures should be in everyone's profile so you have a better idea of what someone actually looks like. A 250 lb man could have just started going to the gym a year ago and has already lost 100 lbs. - he used to weigh 350. He's 5' 7" and still has a lot of weight to lose. In this example, we have someone that's been attending the gym for a year regularly, but still doesn't look like it really. So the word athletic in this particular sense is your appearance and not how passionate you are about sports. Hell, for that matter...I wouldn't describe Shaq as athletic and he's a professional athlete.
 CMonster
Msg: 8
Posted: 8/26/2008 11:55:20 AM
I may be over simplifying this but wouldn't a person be some sort of athlete to have an athletic body? Not to say that they would need to be a professional or competitor, just someone who regularly performs in some sort of athletic activity.
 IluvChris
Msg: 9
Posted: 8/26/2008 11:59:50 AM
piercedtungblkm......................
I wish someone from this area would have a head line " Gym date anyone......"
 flawedbutfun
Msg: 10
Posted: 8/26/2008 3:26:44 PM
I agree with the posters that mention that you should be involved in some athletic endeavor in a serious manner (i.e. not a beer league level, or co-ed league). In my mind the athletic look is lean muscles that one finds on runners, swimmers, bicylers, basketball players, etc.
 CanadianBeef
Msg: 11
Posted: 8/26/2008 8:34:16 PM
Althletic can mean two things:

1. Athletic prowess(sp). I know many ripped guys who cannot throw a football or a frisbee or shoot a hockey puck. On the contrary I know fatter guys who can skate circles around me on the ice.

2. Athletic is anyone who has significant amount of muscle and tone...enough that it's clear it's not just skinny genetics. Most women on here are not athletic because they run once a week. Walk on your hands while doing a scissor kick like those crazy strong dancers and your atheltic.
 Diceman68
Msg: 12
Posted: 8/27/2008 2:06:14 PM
I consider an "athletic" body type to be one that created and maintained by physical activity, not by the lack of... Unfortuntely, in our society, "athletic" has come to mean "big, but not quite fat", "average" means fat, and just like a "few extra pounds" means obese, but not morbidly obese...
 CMonster
Msg: 13
Posted: 8/27/2008 2:56:47 PM
... Unfortuntely, in our society, "athletic" has come to mean "big, but not quite fat", "average" means fat, and just like a "few extra pounds" means obese, but not morbidly obese...

This makes me believe that it's a conspiracy much like those put over on us by trendy, chain coffee shops. You know the ones that renamed their "small" size coffee to "tall," "medium" was renamed "Grande" and "large" ended up as "Vente." Who thought up this crap??!!

I mean come on, when was the last time you called someone small "tall" unless it was your six year old nephew who grew a n eighth of an inch since you saw him two weeks ago? When was the last time you went to a Taco Bell and a Taco Bell Grande and ended up with a medium taco???!!!! And as for Vente.... That's just one of those words like "zaftig." Yeah, one of those words that's seldom used but sounds cool when you say it even though you aren't quite sure what it all means. It's all too confusing for me...

I'm done now, I have a headache.
 satx78218
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 8/27/2008 5:13:35 PM
"athletic" appearance is lean and fit, no matter how you obtain it.
 originalusernamehere
Msg: 15
Posted: 8/28/2008 4:27:14 PM
seriously? People define athleticism by whether or not they have a six pack? :shakes head:

To each their own, I suppose.

My own two cents: Athletic = fit, and you regularly hit the gym and/or participate in sports to stay that way and improve. Here's a good definition of fitness: http://www.crossfit.com/cf-download/CFJ-trial.pdf
Msg: 16
Posted: 8/28/2008 5:00:18 PM
There is a difference between being athletic and having an athletic appearance.

I think if you are describing your lifestyle you can be athletic and not have an athletic body, for an internet dating site, if you list yourself as athletic it should imply that your body is tight and probably well muscled.

It means that you don’t have anything hanging over or jiggling when you move that isn’t supposed to hang over or jiggle. I think the criteria should be the same for men and women when speaking about appearance, it means you have a flat and hard stomach, a tight butt, strong legs, and tight arms, a strong and defined chest for guys, etc.
To say that you are athletic in appearance and not be in excellent physical shape I think is a bit dishonest.
For some people this comes naturally, but most of us have to work really, really hard for it and have a very strict diet, but that is the sacrifice you make.
 Le0
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 8/31/2008 1:03:43 AM
It was a non-question for me. I figure working out 1-3 hours, 7 days a week (6+ mile runs, weight lifting, or sports activity) qualifies me, even if I'm still on the slim side as far as the body shapes go.
 Gypsyrunner
Msg: 18
Posted: 8/31/2008 3:58:33 AM
For this POF forum....athletic means body type...as in looks....

..I know many athletic individuals that do not look athletic at all....

So, being a dating forum....and that most individuals want to know what a potential date looks like...

be fair...look in the mirror....do you LOOK athletic?
 2B143
Msg: 19
Posted: 8/31/2008 4:02:11 AM
I agree with Gypsyrunner. It's about the body type

I think that I AM athletic but my body type is not "athletic".
I don't have muscular cuts but I don't have a dunlap either.
 H2OLuvCoco
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 8/31/2008 5:40:42 PM
I agree with most who have posted here...

in that, as far as checking the "body type" on POF...athletic means to me NON FAT and ACTIVE.

i'm an active person and athletic, but still overweight...and unfortunately still more than "a few pounds" overweight. and, i really don't buy into the BBW concept...so i check "prefer not to say".

i have seen several on here who have listed athletic, and i was thinkin' "who did they see in the mirror?"

i do plan on checking "athletic" when i "get there", or maybe i'll be off the site!

in my not so humble opinion....you looked "athletic" to me OP. : )
 VakyxClone
Msg: 21
Posted: 8/31/2008 8:23:58 PM
From sitting down on my butt on the floor with legs unfolded. I can lift myself up with my hands, legs are then floating in the air. Without my feet touching the ground, i can then cross them and swing my body back to go in a handstand in a slow and fluid manner. I weigh 175-180 at 5 11. My 6 pack is not chiseled but there is a visible definition.

My biceps are not huge though and neither are my calves. I only tried the gym once, and that was several years ago, and i dont run, and i have an intense dislike for ball games. Still, i thought it warranted an athletic status.

Edit: Rereading my post, it is a bit toolish of my part and braggart, so id like to say sorry.
 churlburt2
Msg: 22
Posted: 9/4/2008 5:38:01 PM
I consider myself athletic. I was cycling almost every day until I dislocated my elbow. I am just getting back on the bike again. I'm at 15 miles a day and working back to 25 a day. Increasing my average mph -- very very hard cardio workout!

I am also in the gym 4 days a week working on shaping and strength for certain muscles.

I am trying to train for a century ride in November. So I guess that makes me and athlete! Still have a little fat around the middle, but I'm working on getting my 8 pack back.
 omans009
Msg: 23
Posted: 9/4/2008 9:23:48 PM

For men, I would say that "athletic" means a somewhat muscular build, with broad shoulders relative to one's waist (e.g., a classic V-shape), as well as visible muscle tone. I don't think that a six-pack is required, but an athletic guy should be able to tuck in a tight shirt without his stomach sticking over his belt on a pair of pants.

An athletic woman is toned and probably somewhat lean and definitely does not have to have a six-pack. Athletic women also frequently have somewhat of a V-shape between their shoulders and waist, although it is that pronounced that that of men.

I agree with testlogin on this one. Having abs or not does not determine if you are athletic or not. I hit the gym 6 times a week, play soccer and basketball. I consider myself athletic and I don't have visible 6 pack.
 TodaysCatch
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 9/6/2008 8:24:44 PM
Not that it will tell the whole story, but why doesn't POF feature optional height and weight fill-ins on profiles? I chanced a blind date in the early days of online dating, with a woman that hadn't posted a picture. She sounded nice on the phone, and listed herself as "athletic". Sure enough, when we met, she was about 6'1" and easily 250lbs. A field hockey goalie most of the year, she had been attempting to make the Olympic trials in the shot put. She wasn't a liar, but she wasn't my cup of tea, either. I could have avoided this awkward experience had I simply known her vital stats.
 Puma0622
Msg: 25
Posted: 9/8/2008 3:53:11 PM
Here on PlentyOfFish, I define it based on the physique appearance alone and not on actual athletic ability. I laugh when people list "athletic" as their body type when their pictures say otherwise (appears to be soft with extremely little to no definition at all/skinny-fat/has muscle, but all hidden under a considerable amount of fat). I hate sounding harsh and nit-picky, but my opinion is biased because I weightlift and have seen plenty of physiques that are truly athletic.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > How do you define "Athletic"?