Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > It looks like McCain's VP pick is Sarah Palin [CLOSED Thread]      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 1
view profile
History
It looks like McCain's VP pick is Sarah Palin [CLOSED Thread]Page 1 of 104    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41)
Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin ?

Just announced on CNN's as breaking news, now they are confirming it.

Any thoughts ?

A plus or minus ?

Is this a reaction to Obama's strengths, and an effort to counter-balance them ?

Is a politician with LESS experience than Obama a good thing, if you are arguing the experience ticket, at McCain's age ?

Is Alaska really going to help him in the electoral college ?

Is a VP who is unknown to most Americans , with only two months to go a positive ?

Is a woman going to help him with his base ?
Click any of the Links below to access these Forum Categories:

Closed, but
accessible Forums
»»
Politics
Current Events
Religion

Related Links:Changes to Forums
Links Removed

For the Time being, there is ZERO Tolerance for Trolls posting Flamebait,
Insults, or peddling Agendas. Automatic 28 Day minimum Vacation Package.
    Don't post here if you can't keep your "Cool"

Report offensive Posts as usual in the Forum Rule Violations Report Thread
 bullielover62
Msg: 4
It looks like McCain's VP pick is................................
Posted: 8/29/2008 8:04:44 AM
What it really boils down to is an even ticket. What would the country and the world rather see?? A black man in charge or a woman in the wings???

All the talk has been about how Obama could never have been in this place in his life had he lived in Africa, but here he is, a black man, running for President, only in the United States of America.

So now McCain has "evened" the playing field... and made a name for himself.
 whothehellknows
Msg: 5
Posted: 8/29/2008 8:04:47 AM
She was 2nd runner up in the Miss Alaska Beauty Padgent, so she might get my vote.

But seriously, don't know much about her. This is a play for disgruntled Clinton supporters though.

The far right of the GOP has to be pissed off thoough. First you get a moderate republican like McCain and now he apparently is going to pick a woman as VP. They probably think she should be in the kitchen baking cookies, not a heartbeat away from the big chair.

The 'lack of experience' card is effectivily off the table. She's a heartbeat away and doesn't really have much of a resume.

But still another hour before we know for sure...
 exodusi1
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 8/29/2008 8:07:06 AM
Yawn. . . .

But did you see the speech last night?
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 8/29/2008 8:15:25 AM
If this is indeed true, as it seems to be (why would anyone start THIS story ?) , I see it as a totally unexpected blow to the base that McCain's working with.

His main argument against Obama just got blown out of the sky, and he was the one that made this decision , and especially while announcing it on his SEVENTY SECOND birthday ?

McCain's main strength was experience, to his supporters. Now he's just rolled the dice and thrown in a candidate who has little national exposure, no great record of political experience to speak of, and offers little ( 3 votes) electoral college gain ?

Any chance of attracting Hillary supporters is weak, at best. Simply putting a woman on the ticket as a VP isn't going to get their vote.

The far right of the party may have a real problem with this one, as I see it.

It's going to be fun hearing McCain's supporters defend McCain's decision here .
 boisegoodbadboy
Msg: 8
Posted: 8/29/2008 8:34:45 AM
i cant wait for the vice-presidential debate. *foams at mouth*
 flyonthewall!
Msg: 9
Posted: 8/29/2008 8:35:24 AM
I would have preferred Kay Bailey Hutchison, but I don't think McCain is going to lose the election by choosing Palin. A woman VP will resonate with pissed off Hillary Clinton supporters and the conservative base doesn't have much choice but to hold their noses and vote for McCain. Obama certainly isn't going to get them where they want to go, and voting third party just gets them the last human on the face of the earth they would want to see as President.

I don't think Palin is the BEST choice McCain could have made, but she's far from the worst. She brings youth to the ticket, she can learn, and at least in the two years she's been Governor of Alaska she's actually been doing the job, compared to running for President like Obama's been doing.

It's the President who's supposed to have the experience not the VP. The Obama ticket should be flipped. The McCain ticket has better balance.

So McCain has punched his ticket on the woman thing, and also on the minority thing. Sarah Palin's husband is a Native Yup'ik Eskimo. He was also her high school sweetheart. It's Al and Tipper Gore all over again.

Normally I would worry about someone like Biden just plowing Palin under a truck in the VP debates, but Biden so often sticks both feet in his mouth that it's no certainty. Further, Biden is a bulldog, and I can see him doing the beating a puppy over the head maneuver just like Gore did to Bush. If you remember, that backfired, and it would backfire double if Biden did that to a woman.

Anyway, those are my initial thoughts.
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 8/29/2008 8:37:48 AM

If Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin got the job as running mate for Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), count her as one of the most surprised.

In an interview just a month ago, she dissed the job, saying it didn’t seem “productive.”

In fact, she said she doesn’t know what the vice president does.

Larry Kudlow of CNBC’s “Kudlow & Co.” asked her about the possibility of becoming McCain's ticket mate.
Palin replied: “As for that VP talk all the time, I’ll tell you, I still can’t answer that question until somebody answers for me what is it exactly that the VP does every day? I’m used to being very productive and working real hard in an administration. We want to make sure that that VP slot would be a fruitful type of position, especially for Alaskans and for the things that we’re trying to accomplish up here for the rest of the U.S., before I can even start addressing that question.”

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0808/12969.html

Well, she's got two months to learn what the VP does.
 eeeo4U
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 8/29/2008 8:41:02 AM
I like it...shows he has the balls to go against the grain and the realism to go after the disaffected women's vote. She is also a realist on natural resources, and realizes that native Alaskans would probably rather get paid $100K a year to drill oil rather than harpoon walrus for subsistence...
 PurpleCrayon~
Msg: 12
Posted: 8/29/2008 8:41:14 AM
I love it!!!

A bright tough woman. Mother of 5. Excellent Gov. of Alaska. A fighter for the Middle Class. She has already done tons for Alaska. All one has to do is check her record.

A maverick chooses a maverick!

Oh.. and, the ad McCain ran last night ... was great! He sent Congrats to Obama and said that night belonged to Obama. Plus McCain made sure that no leak of his pick happened yesterday.

McCain/Palin '08!
 jd28spot
Msg: 13
It looks like McCain's VP pick is Sarah Palin
Posted: 8/29/2008 8:42:41 AM
Don't even try to go there with the LESS experience issue.
Out of the four candidates, limited yes, but Governor Palin is the ONLY one with any executive experience at all!
 Simlasa
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 8/29/2008 8:44:38 AM
I remember reading commentary before Obama announced Biden as his choice... saying that his choice would reveal his 'maturity and judgement' as a leader... if he picked someone who could help him govern, shore up spots where he has less knowledge/experience... then that would show he was thinking in terms of governing... not just winning the election.
On the other hand, if he picked someone just based on what group/area of voters they might bring... that would show him as having less 'maturity and judgement'.

Not knowing much about her I can't guess what her strengths/weaknesses are... but from here it certainly looks like the main (only?) reason for choosing her might be to snipe off the 'Conservative's' perceived masses of disgruntled Hillary Clinton supporters...

Still, it's an interesting choice. She sounds like she shares a lot of McCain's 'values' and ideas... and it certainly injects McCain's campaign into the news cycle more than any of the other boring white guys would have.
 MacKevinized
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 8/29/2008 8:44:49 AM
So....he picks someone CURRENTLY under investigation for corruption?

Is he on drugs?

As I predicted in the other thread

McCain loves women, He's loved many many women. Married his first wife for beauty and moved on to young beautiful and with money.
He has Loved female officers under his command and Loved women in bars from California to New York to Brazil. I think he'll pick and attractive rich women or someone that will attract lots of groupies, like Romney.

Romney, always wears a suit and flaunts how much money he can make, will attract lots of decked out attention getters, or McCain will pick a woman with money and/or looks.

He need's to pick someone that will greatly reduce the average age of the ticket. Like that young guy that ran with Bush I. Or Paris Hilton maybe, Brittany has too much of a drug history.

He picks a younger woman that has won a beauty pageant and seems a little corruptible.

Being around beautiful women always puts womanizers on their best behavior so McCain won't be having conniptions when she's around.
 Jake52177
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 8/29/2008 8:46:07 AM
I want it to be about the issues. Which it won't be. I never heard of her but she's the pick.
 Outdoor2
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 8/29/2008 8:55:19 AM
Considering what just happened a few days ago....

Aug. 29 (Bloomberg) -- TransCanada Corp., the nation's largest pipeline company, won approval from Alaska Governor Sarah Palin to build a $27 billion pipeline to carry natural gas from the Arctic to U.S. markets.

Palin on Aug. 27 signed a bill authorizing the state to award Calgary-based TransCanada a license to build the 1,715- mile (2,744-kilometer) link from Prudhoe Bay to the Alberta Hub in Canada, according to a statement. The license will be granted in 90 days.

Coupled with...

Tapping the North Slope fields, which Alaska estimates to hold 35 trillion cubic feet of gas, would help make up for lower state revenue arising from declining oil production. Alaskan crude output has dropped by more than half since 1998.

And...

Alaska owns the gas; BP, ConocoPhillips and Exxon Mobil Corp. hold most of the leases to develop it. The two partners have invited Exxon to join their pipeline venture known as Denali to compete with TransCanada.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601082&sid=acNe2vW46POk&refer=canada

It's not that surprising...
 flyonthewall!
Msg: 18
Posted: 8/29/2008 8:55:45 AM
He picks a younger woman that has won a beauty pageant and seems a little corruptible.

Oh Lord she's much more than that. You'd better not piss her off in a dark alley, she'd whomp your ass. As a kid she woke up at 3 am to hunt moose, and competed in 5k and 10k races. She was the point guard and captain of her high school basketball team, and helps out her husband on his fishing boat.

Her oldest son is 18 and being deployed to Iraq next month, her youngest child is just a few months old and has Downs Syndrome. She never considered abortion, is pro-life, and went back to work as governor 3 days after having the kid.

She's the original have baby in field and keep plowing kind of woman, and despite having a pro-life stance I think she'll resonate with a lot of Hillary supporters.

v v v v v Hey she has two more years political experience than Obama, and she's not running for President. At least she's actually BEEN governor for the two and a half years since she was elected. All Obama's done since he won his Senate seat is run for President.

If the choice is a Presidential candidate with no experience, or a VP candidate with little experience (and she has the same local experience as Obama) -- I go for the ticket with the presidential candidate who knows what he's doing.
 capegardengirl
Msg: 19
Posted: 8/29/2008 8:56:08 AM
An antichoice woman with almost zero political experience?....Those are a dime a dozen..Just pick any red state...McCain must be desperate or dumb enough to believe women will vote for him simply because he has a woman as his running mate
 SwampHunter
Msg: 20
Posted: 8/29/2008 8:59:10 AM
LOL! Who has LESS experience than Obama!? lol! He served what, 184 DAYS in the US Senate before deciding to run for President? To quote Hillary Clinton, "What has the man ever really DONE besides giving a speech at the Democratic National Convention is 2004?"

So - um, let's not go there - k?

Having a conservative woman on the ticket is DEFINITELY a good thing! There will be a LOT of Clinton supporters that will now have to take a good hard look at McCain, especially now that Obama has totally dissed them and thier candidate...

Mark
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 21
view profile
History
It looks like McCain's VP pick is Sarah Palin
Posted: 8/29/2008 8:59:59 AM
Anyone watching that footage of what's going on right now on CNN, as they wait for McCain and Palin to arrive ?

It's like the Ted Mack amateur hour over there .

Not exactly Leni Riefenstahl like in it's presentation of it's iconic imagery......

Cheerleaders shouting out "Who wants a T-Shirt ? " , and they actually played Kiss's "I want to rock and roll all night long" on the PA ?

Where's Hunter Thompson when you really need him ?
 rayzrsharp
Msg: 22
Posted: 8/29/2008 9:02:28 AM
Interesting, why would he pick someone CURRENTLY under state investigation? And with very little experience. Less experience than Obama. Like an earlier poster stated, this is a pick to go after disgruntled Hillary supporters. It's a cheap way to collect votes. Amazing.
 rayzrsharp
Msg: 23
Posted: 8/29/2008 9:12:52 AM
She seems like a very nice lady. But, if McCain becomes president and drops dead do we really want her running the country? Seriously? We'll see. It'll be very interesting to see what she has to say. This is a huge risk, especially since there are FAR more qualified republican women. The question is why her?
 capegardengirl
Msg: 24
Posted: 8/29/2008 9:14:39 AM
Obama worked in the trenches for years helping poor families in Chicago while Sarah was off having babies and being in a beauty contest...I definitely know who has more experience...I grew up with conservative girls like her...Nothing special, a dime a dozen
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 8/29/2008 9:18:43 AM

now let me ask you, if Sarah was a Steve, would YOU have predicted "a loss" for McCain?

It would not have changed my thoughts one bit, I'd still be as stunned.

It makes little sense politically, as nice as she is as a person.
 SwampHunter
Msg: 26
Posted: 8/29/2008 9:19:11 AM
Hey she's a woman! We were supposed to vote for Hillary because she's a woman, and Obama because he's black, right?

Mark
 capegardengirl
Msg: 27
Posted: 8/29/2008 9:20:59 AM
No Swamp hunter...you dont get it...But you must watch Faux News and the local media ilk because they dont get it either
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > It looks like McCain's VP pick is Sarah Palin [CLOSED Thread]