Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Save the Whales, Eat the Pandas      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 AwP
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Save the Whales, Eat the PandasPage 1 of 1    
Your theory has some merit, but it's flawed. For some endangered species, they became endangered either by being concidered a nuisance and were purposely killed (wolves), or weren't noticed at all while we screwed up their habitats for them with development (spotted owls). Your plan could possibly work for animals in these catagories. However... what you fail to adress is the fact that some animals become endangered because of the high demand, like whales. There are tons of valuable products to be taken from whales, which is the whole reason they became endangered in the first place. Hell, the Japanese still hunt the legal maximum number of whales that can still be classified under "scientific research" reasons. The demand is there, why hasn't anyone started any whale farms?
 Thatguy67
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Save the Whales, Eat the Pandas
Posted: 8/31/2008 12:29:27 PM
I couldn't "bear" to eat pandas.....
 Vancer
Msg: 6
Posted: 8/31/2008 2:19:24 PM
Capitalism certainly had it's way with elephants.
 scorpiomover
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 8/31/2008 6:14:18 PM
Lovely idea. But most wild animals don't breed well in captivity. So it just doesn't justify the expenditure.
Posted: 8/31/2008 6:16:35 PM
Panda's are cute but how did they come to abandon their carnivore roots and adopt such an unrewarding diet?
 stargazer1000
Msg: 11
Posted: 9/1/2008 6:59:46 AM
Hmm. And what sauce goes with panda? What about you wine choice? Red or white?

Conversely, if you want to quell the anti-seal hunt noise, sealers should dress the little buggers up as lobsters. Ever notice no one ever hangs signs and sings songs of protest against the lobster harvest? That's because they're not cute and cuddly.
 avalanche325
Msg: 13
Posted: 9/2/2008 7:48:49 PM
There was a humorous article on cracked.com about how Pandas aren't endangered enough. Please remember that its in jest and not meant to be taken seriously.

"The panda is nature's loser, an animal so far gone that it won't even have sex without the aid of several Chinese zookeepers. When a species' sole responsibility is to "get busy" and it still doesn't bother, then we, as people who have to go to goddamn work every day, lose sympathy.

Speaking as men, we can tell you--when an animal has lost interest in its own penis, it wants to die."

Source: http://www.cracked.com/article_16054_p2.html
 AtomicGogol
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 12/10/2009 8:02:06 PM
I totally agree, Jenna. Personally, I think the real goal should be to create a demand for extinct species that can be recreated. I believe there's evidence that a wooly mammoth could be recreated, so I'd say we need to make a market for faux mammoth fur coats. Eventually, the nobby types would want the real deal, and capital investment would find its way into mammoth production. This is useful for two reasons. First, it allows us to further investigate how extinct species lived and operated in contrast to their modern descendants. Second, imagine the comfort of baby smilodon slippers...
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Save the Whales, Eat the Pandas