Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Nees advice fast. king crab legs.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Been there done that.
Msg: 1
Nees advice fast. king crab legs.Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I thought the crab legs I purchased were pre-cooked before they were frozen, but alas they aren't. All the sites I'd visited to plan to prepare them on the grill were for 6-9 minutes to heat threw from frozen, (pre-cooked). Well there is no time table for raw frozen or thawed legs for a grill, and I'd appreciate some input as to approximate timing for semi thawed.
 Damon0028
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Nees advice fast. king crab legs.
Posted: 8/31/2008 3:19:19 PM
Your crab legs ARE cooked, just minimally. You COULD defrost them and eat them, but I know that's not what you are after, lol...

You need one of those steamer thingies that unfolds like a flower, or a bamboo one- if you have a steamer pot, that's even better.

Anyway, in the bottom of your pot, you need enough water(you can add your favorite beer or wine to the water, but make sure you have at least 2:1 water:alcohol... Old Bay seasoning, or garlic, basil, whatever influences you like can also be added to the water. The water should not rise through the bottom of the steamer tray- you don't want to boil them... The clusters where the legs meet are the best meat, IMO, but they also are denser, and so stay frozen longer. You want to generate just enough steaming action(relatively low heat) to slowly steam your crab for 8-20min, depending on size and quantity of crab. At some point, get your hand on the cluster and when you feel it becoming uniformly hot, you are nearly done. Let them steam another couple of minutes, then turn the heat off, and get them out of the steamer within the next few minutes. Remember, you want to be able to slip the meat out of the shell- if it sticks to the inside of the shell and tears up when you try to "slip" it out, that is a sign that you have overcooked your crab. Additionally, the shell should be hard- it will start to soften and discolor in some areas, but by the time you notice that, you are already way over-cooked. Good luck, and...

Bon Crabetit!

-damoN-
 Damon0028
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 8/31/2008 3:23:37 PM
Oh, yeah... you want to start with frozen crab- not all in a clump, but let them defrost just until you can seperate the clusters without damaging anything, and only until the exterior ice is completely melted. Then, arrange them in your steaming vessel, and keep your eye on them. Incidentally, Snow crab is excellent too, shorter steam time than King, is a little saltier and less rich than King, and a helluva lot cheaper...

One of my fav dinners is steak and crab, easy to do at home, and you can get more Snowcrab for the money, a great filet mignon(only time I like filet is with crab) and a decent bottle of wine... Yum!

-damoN-
 Been there done that.
Msg: 4
Posted: 8/31/2008 3:39:00 PM
Appreciate the advice Damon, but 1) they are raw 2) I'm doing them on a grill not steaming them. 3) these babys are about 16-18 inches long each and I don't have a pot that they would fit into.

Mignon is the steak being grilled with these. End of summer feast for the teen units and myself. Daugher isn't a crab fan, so she gets a salmon filet thats been tempering in a rub of lemon pepper, rosemary and dill weed.

I guess I'll judge the legs by putting them on just a few minutes prior to the steaks. I normally do a 4-5 minute per side on the1.5 inch thick mignons'. We like them rare. The salmon is partial skin on to hold up well to a top rack grilling and just cooked through.
 Damon0028
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 8/31/2008 3:48:11 PM
I'm curious where you found raw crab. Anyway, I'd say just go from thawed, put them away from the searing hot spot, keep turning them until they get uniformly heat-soaked, and begin to turn that nice, bright orange... As they become uniformly more orange, I'd think then would be the time to move them into a little more direct heat. Remember, go slowly with them, as eventually they'll cook, but if you scorch even one spot, the meat will cook to the shell, dry out and stick...

And, do tell, where did you find them raw? That's a rarity. Musta been pricey, due to the handling/flying it would likely take to get them to you in that state(raw AND Wisconsin, lol). I keep thinking a flash boil, just to beginning to turn orange, would throw some uniform heat into them, then you can immediately transfer them to the grill...?

-DamoN-
 Slightly_Uncivilized
Msg: 6
Posted: 8/31/2008 4:58:37 PM

I'm curious where you found raw crab.

Living up here in the north it is very common to have frozen crab legs. We flash freeze them. I also have had them sent clear across the states this way so I know it can be done.

Here is a tip on how I do them on the grill. I get a big stock pot of boiling sea salt water going. Don’t worry about if they stick up or not no big deal what you are doing is flash thawing and partially cooking them. Cook them till the shell starts to turn the nice red orange colour pull them out and place them on the grill for no longer than 2 minutes each leg side. I am assuming these are King Crab legs hence to the reference in size.
We do this up here all the time works like a charm. Want to give them an extra special kick for your clarified dipping butter sauce use a bit of purified garlic extract.
Hope your BBQ turns out lovely.
Peace
 Been there done that.
Msg: 7
Posted: 8/31/2008 5:14:31 PM
Right at my meat/seafood counter is where I found them: But I live in a fairly high end neighborhood.

They would have been 22.95/lb if not on a great special last week for 16.99/lb and my perks card brought them down to 10.99/lb. I know they were raw because the shells were the brownish with black spots, rather than the semi cooked state and shell turning red or orange. They turned out great, BTW...Started then off semi thawed, so that the heat would steam them as the ice crystals melted. Even the girl child who was not a fan of crab liked it. It was SOO awsomely sweet.

She devoured her salmon too. She's never had it prepared where it wasn't dry and overcooked, so tonight was a treat for her. I don't usually splurge at $50+ for a single make at home meal, but this was our end of summer feast, and needless to say we were all stuffed before the plates were empty.
 ShinyBrightEyes
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 8/31/2008 5:20:11 PM
Put then in a pyrex oblong pan and pour beer over them, cover in tin for and bake beer will give them very sweet flavor . 6-9 legs one hour and 350 degrees. serve with butter
 Damon0028
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 8/31/2008 5:53:25 PM
Glad it worked out for you... I figured you had to be in a nice area and be willing to spend for them, and to be able to procure them raw. I had to do a double-think, but then I went and looked at your profile/location and it immediately made more sense- I'm down here in the FL money-market, and the trucking industry has shown me many, many interesting tidbits about people, food, economics....

Whitestar had an interesting idea with the beer- I may try that with some snowcrab first... Dang, this is makin' me hongry... I still have that skirtsteak I refferred to on the other thread in the fridge, I didn't soak it with the marinade 'cuz I figured it might be in there a couple days... I think I'm gonna go get out some shallots and garlic, and my trusty EVOO, slice off a nice hunk and do it up in a pan! Gee, wish I had some crab...

Speaking of wishes... I once had crab with something-cilantro, and though I can't remember exactly how it was all presented, what I DO remember is how well crab and cilantro work together... I might have to indulge myself with a trip to the fishmonger tommorrow, and go find some chunks of mesquite to throw in the grill. We haven't had any weather to speak of here in relation to Gustav, but I held off buying charcoal, anyway. It seems to really pick up moisture down here and can be frustrating. Hence, another justification for spending on the mesquite, to heck with charcoal all together...

-damoN-
 huukdonfoniks
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 8/31/2008 6:25:51 PM
At 10.99/pound, there is no way they were fresh. Even if you did get them fresh, they are already cooked. The only difference is they have never been frozen. No one sells raw King crab legs, unless you get them right off the boat. They don't keep long enough to be viable.

If they were brown, they were probably Golden King Crab. There are 3 different types of King Crab that are commonly sold. Goldens have the brownest shell.

Fresh cooked King crab legs are extremely expensive and hard to find. The crab is taken right from the boat, cooked, put on ice then shipped out overnight via plane. I bought some for a special occasion last year and it cost me over $50/pound. And, yes, there is a HUGE difference in taste between fresh cooked and cooked/flash frozen legs.
 Been there done that.
Msg: 11
Posted: 8/31/2008 6:58:25 PM
Well huukdonfoniks,

Being in Jersey may well make the difference between what you find in your counter vs what I find in mine.

I've been cookin' more years than you've been having wet dreams my friend, so lets not get all flea'd behind the ears ok?

I don't mix my medaphores, and I don't lie about a geat deal at the seafood counter. I know when to buy and when not to.

And I know Alaskan King legs whe I see's um. I'm sorry your stores don't have the perks cards i have to get additional discounts on sale items. I'm no fool I'll take the discounts when they serve my purpose, specialy with todays grocery prices. What is your "real " beef here?
 mightbeme04
Msg: 12
Posted: 8/31/2008 9:08:48 PM
Last King Crab I bought here was $7.99/lb

Yeah damn right I laid a quick $40 worth in the freezer! Cooked or not cooked at that price...

I like the Zatarain's liquid crab boil, and sometimes add some Old Bay to it.

I use a 16 qt stock pot with about 2" of water in it, only use about a teaspoon of the liquid stuff it's good but it's VERY SPICY!
 Guesswhoo
Msg: 13
Posted: 9/1/2008 7:03:58 AM
Next time you purchase anything your not familar cooking I'd suggest asking the store that you bought it from for a few cooking hints, they will also have all the spices one would need, they were but a phone call away lol.
 CherylCake
Msg: 14
Posted: 9/1/2008 7:20:52 AM
Yeah. Old Bay's the best. You just have to heat em up somehow. Broil brushed in butter, and a lil sprinkle of that Old Bay! YUM!
 devin_kay
Msg: 15
Posted: 9/1/2008 8:01:27 AM
Okay, here's what you do. Be sure to keep the crab legs well frozen. Place them in a large zip-lock baggie and then in a box just large enough to hold them, some excelsior and a two-pound block of dry ice. Tape the box shut, label it with my address, and rush it to me overnight. Voila, problem solved!

Hawaiianluau
Msg: 16
Posted: 9/1/2008 2:11:57 PM

This thread needed that.
 Naughtical
Msg: 17
Posted: 9/1/2008 2:22:16 PM
Wonder if I can intercept that package?

Oh well...they don't even exist anymore.
Glad they were enjoyed.

As much as I love snow crab legs (are they the same as Alaskan?) I have never had king crab legs. Dungeness either...those are just too ugly or something. Anyway...I have never done them on a grill, I have always boiled them. I have an old, old thread on here about a low country boil, that is my favorite way of having them.
Yes, I'm rambling...ever since my last "vacation" I can't post short messages.
 Hawaiianluau
Msg: 18
Posted: 9/1/2008 2:49:31 PM
"Vacations" are alright.
You need to try some fresh live dungeness.
Twice as good as king although 3 times the work.
 texasbaby
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 9/1/2008 2:58:17 PM
Heck I grew up in the desert... Give me any kind of crab legs and some butter ,,,, I'll think I've died and gone to heaven!!

tb
 Slightly_Uncivilized
Msg: 20
Posted: 9/1/2008 10:24:12 PM

As much as I love snow crab legs (are they the same as Alaskan?)

Yes, they are but in my neck of the woods we call then "Tanner's.". As far as a Good ole dungeness crab they are fantastic. Go out and drop your crab pots, come back after a few hours, pull them up. Moor up somewhere, build a huge fire and just throw them in with some sea salt mixture. Melt some butter you got heaven in a shell. King is different than a dungeness by far bigger and to my uncultured taste buds even tho I am a native born Alaskan; I find them not as sweet nor as tender but there is by far more meat and a lot less work.
Bottom line you have been given some great advice here about where you buy something like this item if not from the area always ask the shop keeper. They usually will have some great tips.
Glad the BBQ went well for you.
 Hawaiianluau
Msg: 21
Posted: 9/1/2008 11:53:12 PM
Whoa that crabing story brings back memories.
Our family friend took us out years ago from Corvalis Oregon whatever that bay straight out to the sea is.
I took my relatives out to Bodega Bay CA one Christmas after all the kids open their presents there's not much to do. There's a restaurant with a retail store there with a live crab tank so I bought 5 and cooked them when we got home.
Long story short they take the same trip every Christmas now ever since. I might be able to join them again this year.
 raxarsr
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 9/2/2008 1:06:02 AM
you poor folks...nobodys mentioned chesapeke bay blue crabs......by far the best.....but also the most work
 Glass Slipper11
Msg: 23
Posted: 9/2/2008 2:14:13 AM
King crab is pure gold as far as I'm concerned and like to keep it pure and simple when cooking them. Just quickly boiled with kosher salt and served with drawn butter and lemon.

I had the good fortune aside from having caught them, my daughter and her friend found king crab crawling on the road!!! There were about 9 of them, that must have fallen off a truck .... they were crawling out of a bag. Truth is stranger than fiction. I'm pretty sure they were king crab and not the dungeness we were used to catching. What a treat!
 Naughtical
Msg: 24
Need advice fast. king crab legs.
Posted: 9/2/2008 5:41:48 PM
Glass Slipper: That is so awesome. I would have thought I was dreaming. It is too funny to think of, my favorite dinner just strolling down the street.

Raxarsr: I love blue crabs, too. Not sure what I had was the kind you mentioned. I just remember how good they were...we cooked a HUGE pot of them, they were a lot of work and were messy but it was worth it, with a group of people it is a lot of fun.
I think here in Florida when you catch blue crabs you are supposed to just pull a few legs off of them and throw them back...big fine if you keep the whole thing. Maybe that is just when they are off season or something.

missmelly180
Msg: 25
Need advice fast. king crab legs.
Posted: 9/2/2008 6:27:27 PM
I think here in Florida when you catch blue crabs you are supposed to just pull a few legs off of them and throw them back...big fine if you keep the whole thing. Maybe that is just when they are off season or something

I think you're thinking of stone crabs whick are totally different from blue crab. Only the claws are edible on stone crabs and are extremely expensive

I haven't gone crabbing for blues since I was a kid. We would go to my grandmothers house and we would walk a half mile down the road to a little cove that led out to the gulf. we would wade out during low tide in old sneakers and our bathing suits with a couple of buckets in a small inflatable boat and just wander around in the tide searching for them. We weren't allowed to take females with eggs at all and the males had to be developed to a couple inches on the shells. We would fill up the buckets and head back to her house and boil them all up with yuengling and old bay. So fantastic.

The only other way we would crab would be out in the canal by my house, drop some raw chicken on a string down to the bottom and wait for a nibble, then slowly bring in the line with some one holding the net. the crab would just be in our line of sight to swoop in with the net, then it would let go. Totally frustrating. My dad finally got a few traps and then filled them up with fish bodies after he went out for the weekend catching grouper and snapper. He would make his famous seafood chowder with a rogue fish eyeball in it from putting the heads in for stock, and then pull the meat from the cheeks and throw that in at the end.
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Nees advice fast. king crab legs.