Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  > Looking For A Good Keyboard...      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 thegreatrockyhill
Msg: 1
Looking For A Good Keyboard...Page 1 of 1    
I just ended up with an HP Pavillion a6512p Desktop PC, and I HATE the keyboard. I guess it's supposed to be a "quiet key" (?) model as there's not clickety-clack. However, the keys aren't real sensitive, and typing has become a real chore. You really have to press down on the keys which makes it unlike any other keyboard I have ever used in a not so good way. The keys are almost "springy." Bear with me as I am not expert. :)

Can anyone recommend a resonably priced keyboard with sensitive keys? Clickety-clack is a-ok with me.
 Steve_Sandy
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Looking For A Good Keyboard...
Posted: 8/31/2008 3:54:02 PM
found the MS split keyboard works well for me, hands are spread at an angle naturally as arms lean towards the board

straight keyboard - use for work

not worried about quiet, it is not, but it is comfortable :)
 riddleme
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 8/31/2008 7:17:28 PM
I've been using the same Microsoft standard keyboard for over 8 years. Just missing a few buttons, but I clean it once a month, and its good to go.

If you really want to impress the ladies, get a G15.
 tonyyarusso
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 10/24/2008 2:38:45 AM
I'm considering getting one from Das Keyboard myself. Claims to be reminiscent of the old IBM Model M, with major clickety-clack and scores of rave reviews from the major tech sites. Comes in both printed QWERTY and blank versions.
 justinx
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 10/24/2008 4:34:18 AM
I realy like version one of the Logitech G15 with the popup lcd screen and the blue lit up letters on the keyboard. Works great at night.

Unfortunatly, version 2 is a orangish/red backlit and the blue ones are hard to find now.
 phule
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 10/24/2008 7:19:16 AM
Unfortunately, you are in a position where you know what you want, but you are unsure about getting it.

So, here's the deal. First, unless you want to be stuck using the split keyboard, don't get one. Microsoft makes normal keyboards as well with the same types of keys. THe problem with the split keyboard, is it makes it very difficult to go back to a normal keyboard once you have used a split one long enough.

Now... you want to try a few before you buy? Want to know a great place to go? The Salvation Army. A Goodwill store. Hit both, if you have them near by. You don't have to buy a keyboard... but they will each have a pile of keyboards available, all for rock-bottom prices. You can easily check out a wide selection of keyboards for feel and comfort. Then if you are feeling adventuresome, you buy one... and it is going to cost you very little. If for some reason it doesn't work (and they do check out all the stuff they sell, so it should work) you now know the exact brand and model you want to buy, brand new.

That method offers you the greatest range of try-before-you-buy.
 bassbindevil
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 10/24/2008 12:55:04 PM
Try a computer recycler, or "Freegeek" if there's one locally, too.

There are cheap adapters available to go from the big round AT style keyboard connector to the little round PS2 style, or to go from PS2 to USB. Beware of very old PC/XT keyboards, though; they won't work without a much more expensive adapter (around $100).
 phule
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 10/24/2008 6:52:31 PM

No it dosen't. The only difference is that with a split keyboard your wrists aren't bent while typing. I have both types and regularly swap between them, and keyboards at various places where I work.

Well, I'm a computer repair man at a busy shop near a Marine base, and I don't know anyone who is happy with a split keyboard, aside from you. Everyone who has tried them, and has mentioned trying them, has also mentioned the difficulty in getting back to using a regular keyboard. So my opinion is not just based on my personal experience, it is based on the experience of lots of customers that have passed through the doors of the shop I work in.

My point though, which was lost on you, was that the same key action is available in the microsoft non-split keyboards.
 bassbindevil
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 10/25/2008 11:56:40 AM
I was browsing through some old computer magazines before consigning them to recycling (or eBay), and was reminded of the semi-legendary Northgate Omnikey keyboards.

Supposedly a company called Creative Vision Technologies has come up with a keyboard that's as good as the Northgate ones: check out cvtinc.com

If you're trolling through the used keyboard bins, look out for Gateway branded keyboards. They sourced some good quality stuff; I've got one that was made in the USA by Key Tronic Corporation.
 thegreatrockyhill
Msg: 10
Posted: 10/25/2008 11:56:43 AM
I'm getting used to the one I have and think I'll stick with it. Thanks everyone.
Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  > Looking For A Good Keyboard...