Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Was pub landlord right to ban drinker for wearing a kilt?......      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 pantsonfire
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Was pub landlord right to ban drinker for wearing a kilt?......Page 1 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
Mmmmmmmmmm men in kilts, yummy ...........

No the landlord wasn't right, but he was within his rights to do it ... Sadly most symbols of UK patriotism are frowned upon from St George flags to well to other stuff ...

Perhaps he will do the same for any Sikh wearing a turban? Doubt it though... Did the guy have nice legs do you know? If he had skinny legs I might not be bothered ..
 pantsonfire
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Was pub landlord right to ban drinker for wearing his kilt?......
Posted: 9/1/2008 4:00:54 AM
All joking apart isn't a kilt considered smart then? I always saw it as being 'formal dress' .. It's certainly not leisure wear!
 Steve_Sandy
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 9/1/2008 4:19:31 AM
Blokes in skirts ?

Next will be reading that he had a min kilt and was not wearing any briefs and letting everything flop around

wearing a kilt in scotland is ok I guess, wearing one in England is fancy dress time, guy can chose another pub, understand newcastle has lots of pubs, might even find one full of single scottish men all wearing kilts and admiring each other or is that a gay bar
 Lorri55
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 9/1/2008 2:38:27 PM
As a Scot, I am pretty disgusted by the ban........when did this happen ? I have been in London all weekend and lost contact with civilisation (only joking!)
If, however, the guy was being an idiot and flashing his bits around, then the landlord was right in what he did
 Steve_Sandy
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 9/2/2008 10:07:17 AM
one thing people forget is that a landlord of a pub can refuse to serve drinks to anyone and can bar anyone for any reason, the reason does not have to be given

maybe it is a family pub with kids running around, who when they look up, what might they see ?

some pubs ban anyone from wearing a hat or hoodie, again it is the choice of the landlord

landlord gave him the choice of not wearing a kilt and drinking beer in his pub, he refused to change out of the likt and is banned

was shown how a kilt is put on, the blanket it is made from is folded lots of times, the bloke then lies down on it and tucks things around then secures with pins, so guess not a skirt as such :)
 gjay1
Msg: 61
Posted: 1/10/2009 12:53:20 PM
fellas in kilts.....sexy as!!!

i cant imagine why any pub would have aproblem with the wearing of kilts.....maybe it was the wearer lol
 ~Hams~
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Posted: 1/10/2009 4:58:09 PM
The pub Landlord was being racist.

People of any race or country should be allowed to wear whatever they want, whenever they want.

Msg 75....
How was the pub landlord being racist?

He didnt have a sign on his door saying no Jocks allowed or anything like that!

All he said was nobody will be admitted in his pub wearing fancy dress any more.

He may be wrong to say the kilt is the same as fancy dress but is it not his right?

He's the land lord so its his pub and his rules...........

If you dont like it go and drink somewhere else!

I think the word racist is used far to easily in the UK now days and miss understood.
 stevencl
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 1/10/2009 5:39:39 PM
cashback, where do you get your facts about the kilt? the history of the kilt can be traced back to at least the end of the 16th century in Scotland. I'm Scottish and always wear a kilt for formal wear and have done so in many countries. No one has ever objected. Is this ban justified - in my opinion, no, but it's the pub that loses the custom.
 pantsonfire
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Posted: 1/11/2009 12:12:47 PM
Msg 75
People of any race or country should be allowed to wear whatever they want, whenever they want.

So we have a contigency of people from the TupĆ£ Matis tribe come over here? They should be allowed to wander around in their traditional dress?

They'd be a bit chilly Brrrrrr ....
 ICanDance24
Msg: 73
Posted: 4/2/2009 7:13:43 PM
No tartan expert here, but Googling Robson, I came up with Gunn clan, not exactly the most ornate tartan out there,,,or am I off the pubowner's *supposed* point. I'm of the mind that the owner had more against that one guy than he does against kilts
 gemini_lady_uk
Msg: 83
view profile
History
Posted: 4/4/2009 5:46:43 AM
The landlord was within his rights to ban or insist on any style/type of clothing as suits him BUT and it is a very big BUT where he acted inappropriately was to say the kilt is fancy dress.

Having a dress code is one thing, calling a Kilt fancy dress is another. Would he also ban men wearing in tuxedoes or women in evening wear that pop in for a drink.

Kilts are not generally worn on a day to day basis because mostly they are classed as 'dressy' as in dressed up for a special occassion although there are some people wear them on a regular basis.

If the landlord see's 'dressy' as fancy dress then I assume he will also ban women in 'cocktail dresses' as they are not day to day attire.

Fancy dress is wearing a 'batman outfit' or something similar.

It does not matter the reason why men wear kilts. To impress ladies, hmmmm, maybe but who cares, any smartly dressed guy is going to initially impress a lady.
 dancemeslow
Msg: 85
view profile
History
Posted: 5/13/2009 3:22:17 AM
it is racist as everyone knows the kilt is and allways will be the national dress for scotland no matter where in the world you are it is not a fancy dress and any scot will go of his head if anyone said to his face it was fancy dress and he would have every right to do so
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Was pub landlord right to ban drinker for wearing a kilt?......