Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > Is ignorant voting mild treason?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Irespire
Msg: 1
Is ignorant voting mild treason?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I think ignorant voting is a treasonous behavior to some extent. After all, if you betray your country without knowing, it's still treason, isn't it? This isn't something about a 'political disagreement'. It's about 95%+ of the population voting without their brains, based on first impressions, surface issues, etc. Not examining the big picture. Not realizing that the entire system is ruined and needs to be pretty much replaced. Not realizing that 'change' is BS and is not going to really happen until then. I'm sure this kind of rant has been done to death, BUT, the issue of ignorant voting being treason probably hasn't been brought up much before. And the politicians, while their behavior is deplorable, it's the public that is mostly at fault. Well, it's kind of a vicious cycle.

If people used their heads, less than 10% would vote for fools like McCain and Obama.
 Irespire
Msg: 2
Is ignorant voting mild treason?
Posted: 9/4/2008 2:11:54 PM
This isn't a troll thread, it's an honest look at whether idiots are in fact committing grave ills. Grow up, morons.
 mr.blake
Msg: 3
Posted: 9/4/2008 2:13:11 PM
The sad thing about it is now that palin is the vp pick for mccain a lot of women will pick mccain just becauce she is a female and probably a lot of hillary voters will just because she's a female without looking into thier agenda.Along with die hard religion and anti abortion finatics who dont look at all the facts and just vote on those weak issues and not the fact that our country is going under over bush and the likes of him "mccain and Palin".So whats this mean?People would vote for "Osama Bin Laden "himself if he ran for the republican party and if he promised to be antiabortion and promised to give americans over 5000.00 a piece out of his oil rich families bank account?Or if "Satan ran for the republican president and promised people they wouldnt go to hell regardless?The scary thing is they probably would.I disagree with the treason theory,I would say its more like " total ignorance".
 Irespire
Msg: 4
Posted: 9/4/2008 2:14:47 PM
Can ignorance be considered treason in some cases? As in, if it 'betrays' this country?
 Irespire
Msg: 5
Posted: 9/4/2008 2:26:33 PM
By the way, if this gets auto deleted, I'm going to post it right back and complain to the moderation.
 Irespire
Msg: 6
Posted: 9/4/2008 2:43:58 PM
Well, looks like I won't have to. Stupid, though. Anyway, some people have suggested a 'knowledge' test, but I'm not sure if that would work out, since anything given would likely ignore the US's major blunders over the last 50+ years.
 kabiosile
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 9/4/2008 3:01:22 PM
Ignorant voting is not treason but, it is ignorant and damaging to the nation.

Treason is not a charge that should be lightly thrown around.
 Bellydanza
Msg: 8
Posted: 9/4/2008 3:10:55 PM
Any Hilary voter who now votes for McCain is indeed ignorant and was never a true Democrat. They are so far away from each other...opposite ends of the spectrum. Yea, if they vote for Palin it's a vote for vagina...not issues. Which is DUMB
 Irespire
Msg: 9
Posted: 9/4/2008 3:24:41 PM
That's why I said 'mild'....I thought it generally had to do with 'betraying' the nation, but there are obviously different degrees of it.
 7iron
Msg: 10
Posted: 9/4/2008 3:34:01 PM
Ignorant people should be able to vote, dead people vote every election don't they?
 Simlasa
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 9/4/2008 3:37:11 PM
If you took all the ignorant people out of the election... would there be anyone left to vote? Or to vote for?
 Ezzee
Msg: 12
Posted: 9/4/2008 3:38:13 PM
So how do you prove ignorance in the voting process?

Aren't we all ignorant in one way or another?

I personally will admit that I know that I don't know. According to Socrates, that would make me one of the wisest people in the world. According to you, that wold make me ignorant.

So how do you test it?
 exodusi1
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 9/4/2008 3:39:58 PM
It would make you Rumsfeld
 Bellydanza
Msg: 14
Posted: 9/4/2008 3:40:34 PM
Igorance is bliss
 Brandie46
Msg: 15
Posted: 9/4/2008 4:04:04 PM
I don't know about it being treason, but we surely see what it has done to our country over the past 7+ years!

Obama/Biden 2008!
 itechman63
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 9/4/2008 4:27:13 PM

If you took all the ignorant people out of the election... would there be anyone left to vote?

It'd be like a pitcher's duel in baseball. Obama/McCain wins the popular vote 3-2. Or Ron Paul would win by a landslide.
 Irespire
Msg: 17
Posted: 9/4/2008 4:32:10 PM
Yeah, there's no real practical way to 'weed out' the ignorant idiots as of now, just philosophically speaking I guess.
 exodusi1
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 9/4/2008 4:52:20 PM
I'm voting myself into office. . .

Self~Destructive behavior isn't disqualifying is it?
 Ezzee
Msg: 19
Posted: 9/4/2008 5:02:23 PM
My two favorite quotations about Democracy or a Republic I think really say a lot about how the average American are.

"The blind leading the blind. It's the Democratic Way" - Henry Miller

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." - Theodore Roosevelt

Sad, but true.
 Simlasa
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 9/4/2008 5:08:50 PM
It's not just the voters who are ignorant though...
The candidates themselves are mostly just experts on being... candidates.
None of them are economists or scientists or scholars of any sort outside of legal matters... so how can they be expected to make good informed decisions unless they, like us, capitulate to the expertise of others to fill them in on the facts.
Hopefully they are seeking out just as wide a variety of information as we should be.
Which candidates are seeking out the top minds in economic matters and international relations? Which ones will call up actual scientists to talk about environmental/energy issues?

In general I pretty much rely on the assumption that anyone who claims to everything knows less than the guy who admits he knows nothing... the guy who is willing to ask questions and listen... even on topics he's pretty well versed on... will usually gain my confidence better than the one who just blunders on ahead with only his own convictions to guide him.
 StrangerInTheHouse
Msg: 21
Posted: 9/4/2008 6:36:18 PM

wow.. aren't we anal tonight?

Hitler should have had such an idea!
Brilliant!

That's what's wrong with republicans...
 Irespire
Msg: 22
Posted: 9/4/2008 7:33:44 PM
Yeah, I'm a huge republican. Sure.

Everything is so simple and linear in this world, isn't it?
 a bit nomadic
Msg: 23
Posted: 9/4/2008 8:02:43 PM
Well, the founders didn't envision everybody voting, for a reason. But you would think that with the advent of mass media, cheap books, and easy access to information for everyone who bothers to educate themselves in a largely literate society, that people would be able to love their country enough to bother NOT voting "ignorant."

And no, JUST watching FOX news OR CNN isn't enough.
 Simlasa
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 9/4/2008 8:26:02 PM
Just reading U.S. news sources isn't enough either... it's a real eye-opener to see what the view of the world is like from 'outside'.
 ladyfrompa
Msg: 25
Posted: 9/4/2008 10:12:26 PM
My candidate of choice is Obama, given we only have two to choose from I decided on Obama for several reasons, his vote against the war, his objection to so much money going to Iraq, his objections over "Blackwater" and having it investigated sooner rather than later, his strong stance on health insurance for those without it, his plan to change the way things are done in Washington, and his bringin his own plans for education and gettting rid of 'no child left behind' when so many children are failing and only studying during class to pass a test, this is not working. He has many good ideas I support. On the whole though, out of all the intelligent men and women in these United States, we have poor choices and they seem to get worse every 4 years. Voters choose a candidate by looks, style, whether she is a mother or not, a hockey mom, the girl next door type, (who wants the girl next door being only a beat away from the Presidency) will looks bring brains and intelligence to the office? When a woman's speech criticizes the Presidential candidate and spends her time insulting and degrading the other candidate for President, what does that say about her? Not much if you want my opinion, she had solutions for no issues, plans for nothing, just insults directed at others. How can our country have gotten so messed up? McCain was a war hero, does that give him the creditentials he needs to run a country? I think not. When will people read...read...research...get the background on these folks, vote on the abilities, capabilities and not just 'she has nice hair', he speaks so softly (boring actually), he is an elitist? really? when did that happen, she isn't fashionable? who cares, she's got brains. Give me a break America, wake up.....read....research...get the facts, not mishmash that is telling you what you want to hear. That is the trick of the politicians.
THINK FOR YOURSELVES
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > Is ignorant voting mild treason?