Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sex and Dating  > Are you by nature monogamous or polygamous?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Randominternetguy
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Are you by nature monogamous or polygamous?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I think this is interesting, but I tend to agree with 310Michael's observation, there is a disconnect between what media reports and what science actually says.

The data presented in the study suggests an association, not demonstrates proof there is a monogamy gene. The way science is supposed to work, is someone publishes a paper, and then others replicate results. Remember cold fusion?

I personally beleive all of our behavior is affected by biochemical reactions going on inside of us, so I wouldn't be surprised if this turned out to be true, or more likely part of a system of which this gene expression plays a part. Or even if not true, some other reactions will demonstrate similar effects.

But's that's not the same as proving something to be true. Just because no one has "proven" something, doesn't mean it's not true. But to say something is true in a sceintific sense means experiments with repeatable results has been replicated by many different individuals.

As opposed to media outlets which need to frame things in a way to get eyeballs. Whether it's true or not is really not an issue. You can make any outrageous comment you like, but as long as you throw quotes around it and say someone else said that, you are off the hook. There are many cases where a paper has been published making a specific claim, but it gets reported in a much more sensationalistic way to get your attention.
 Closing Shop
Msg: 4
Monogamy: Is it in your Jeans?
Posted: 10/5/2008 10:17:13 PM
Is there any way to get a guy tested for the RS3 334 gene at the same time he gets an STD test? That would be quite handy.
 slybandit
Msg: 5
Posted: 10/9/2008 9:15:00 AM
Oh, so what's NEXT on the list of excuses for bad doggy behaviour now?

1. "Sorry, honey, the vasopressin made me do it."

2. "The fault is not in my Jeans, or in our stars, but in ourselves...that's why I'm in her Jeans, and not yours."

3. "The woman in the lab coat says it's not my fault." "But she's wearing a naughty nurse outfit, is she supposed to be credible, you cheating b*stard ?" "Well, she IS a scientist..."
 Cynderella
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 10/9/2008 10:41:28 AM
So is insanity...
Mind over Matter...
All the more reason to get a Dr's Ok before a relationship (cheating gene) and sex (std/aids).

Thank goodness I never got that gene, but I do have a great pair of jeans!

Are we messed up right from birth...?
 swingpup
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 10/9/2008 12:52:21 PM
Monogamy and Me = Oil and water. Either is not at all a good mix. I think once-upon-a-time I tried it and didn't like it. Tried Escargot once also and didn't like that.
 Vannili
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 10/11/2008 8:20:55 AM
My monogamistic behavior is not in my jeans, it is in my cultured mind..
 phishkev
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 10/11/2008 9:47:34 AM
Well, if it isn't, then it's not monogamy!! Seriously, if you can't remain faithful to one person, why bother unless that's your "deal..."
 24DegreeAngel
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 10/11/2008 11:40:07 PM
Assuming monogamy is genetic, I would say it's not in my genes but I'd consider myself monogamous because of cultural and environmental reasons.

There is no burning desire here but I think if I ideally had this perfect family would be 4 - 6 adults living together (equal men and women) and whatever happened sexually within the group of those adults is cool. Perhaps everyone would have their own rooms so there wasn't pressure to relate with someone every night but could choose to. All the kids would be raised communally and there would be no pressure for one person to be THE perfect wife and mother (husband and father)... everyone has their strengths and weakness and trying the be perfect at everything is hell.... in this system there was always others around to round things out and support. I don't think my ideal of this is purely sexual as it's just part of it... but more of a family dynamic I'd like to have.

Of course that doesn't really fly in society and therefore I'm driven to pair bond and create a nuclear family for the health of my potential future offspring... and I would never consider cheating. That's just conditioning and not nature.
Show ALL Forums  > Sex and Dating  > Are you by nature monogamous or polygamous?