Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > Boycott Oprah?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 junipermoon
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Boycott Oprah? Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
maybe oprah has decided to upgrade the quality of guests on her show. she has that prerogative.

however, according to oprah's site, no discussion of hosting palin ever transpired.
 flyonthewall!
Msg: 7
Boycott Oprah?
Posted: 9/7/2008 7:33:47 AM
Well, I would boycot Oprah except for the fact that I've never watched her show or bought any of her magazines. Not much left I could do!
 laxref41
Msg: 9
Boycott Oprah?
Posted: 9/7/2008 7:43:35 AM
i'm still trying to figure out how Oprah's funding of african american projects gives the shaft to "the good ol' USA."
 itechman63
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Boycott Oprah?
Posted: 9/7/2008 7:46:36 AM
Why does it have to be Oprah? Why not 60 Minutes?

Oprah's made a celebrity endorsement for Obama. She's not a journalist so why would she want to give equal time to an opponent?
 Thatguy67
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Boycott Oprah?
Posted: 9/7/2008 7:52:01 AM
Her money and her show. She can do whatever she wants.
 CMonster
Msg: 12
Boycott Oprah?
Posted: 9/7/2008 8:06:34 AM

First of all, Sarah Palin will not do interviews with anyone.

Here's Palin's interview with Time Magazine from last month.

http://www.time.com/time/printout/0,8816,1837536,00.html
 Barredbard
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Boycott Oprah?
Posted: 9/7/2008 8:50:47 AM
How tragic that Oprah is helping indigent people in Africa, rather than leaving it to the good 'ole G8 and trusty missionaries. And of course, since she is doing all those charitable works outside of the continental US, this just means that she must be shafting our country in the process. Oprah is not a journalist who ideally should remain neutral and steer clear of adopting sides (Fox News excepted). Nor have I ever known her to claim to be one. Rather she is a talk show host who features guests and programs according to her own inclinations. In making the decision of who should appear on her show, she has to keep her ratings in mind. She could have a monkey appear on her show on a whim. But she does not have to have an individual whose ideals do not coincide with her own on her show. It is her prerogative. And the station's. I would have thought this to be abundantly clear.
 fridayboo
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Boycott Oprah?
Posted: 9/7/2008 8:59:38 AM
Bush 43 came on Oprah on 2001......which seems to never get talked about? I remember this because I was like WTF Oprah? She probably feels responsible for helping put the nut job in office and is trying to help make change. It's amazing how Oprah is being demonized when she, "ain't catering to Miss Scarlett"!
 StrangerInTheHouse
Msg: 15
Boycott Oprah?
Posted: 9/7/2008 9:06:45 AM
Is this another republican lie, or do you have a source?
 mjk21258
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Boycott Oprah?
Posted: 9/7/2008 9:08:03 AM

Here's Palin's interview with Time Magazine from last month.

http://www.time.com/time/printout/0,8816,1837536,00.html

Refer to the thread of why Palin won't speak to the media, last month she was not the VP nominee of the GOP.
 CMonster
Msg: 17
Boycott Oprah?
Posted: 9/7/2008 10:11:29 AM

Refer to the thread of why Palin won't speak to the media, last month she was not the VP nominee of the GOP.

I think she just made a speech at some little convention somewhere in the midwest. I think a couple of media outlets were there to cover it.
 Optimistic for 2008
Msg: 18
Boycott Oprah?
Posted: 9/7/2008 10:38:56 AM
Why should Oprah have her on the show before she does any 'news' shows...

I think Obama was vetted by the 'press' quite a bit before he went on Oprah....
I want to hear this right wing zealot (palin's) own unscripted words and I won't be surprised if the GOP machinery never let her do that...

As for Oprah and her money to Africa I saw the show about the school for women she built and I say good for her...having said that I don't watch her show (or other afternoon talk shows)
 Simlasa
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Boycott Oprah?
Posted: 9/7/2008 11:00:39 AM
Palin isn't 'afraid' of the media... the 'Republicans' might still be coaching her, checking her out... but I'd bet she's raring to go.
I've seen her, pre-VP pick, on some other interview shows and she is not some vapid beauty queen... she might not be 'wordly' but she is ambitious, tenacious, and has a quick mind...
I just happen to think she is also a friggin' nightmare of bad ideas and foul intentions.

As for being on Oprah...
Oprah's stance on the thing is that her show is not going to be used as a political forum.
She did not have Obama on once she endorsed him and, as far as I know, hasn't had on the other candidates either.
I'm not sure why being on Oprah would be so all-fired important anyway... or why Mrs. Palin is so relevant to women's issues... unless it's that she pretty much stands in opposition to most of the primary issues that women's groups are trying to make progress on.

Interestingly, I've heard a couple of ultra-fundamentalist women I know commenting that they wouldn't support her because they don't think a woman should be president... that women shouldn't be placed in leadership over men...
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 20
Boycott Oprah?
Posted: 9/7/2008 11:06:29 AM
This kind of confirms my suspicion that the far right in the US is pretty whiny.

The election campaign is on. That means that legally if she has Palin on, she has to give equal time to the other side or else she puts all of the stations that carry her show in a difficult position.

People would tune in to watch Palin, since the GOP is keeping her away from the media. But they wouldn't tune in to watch Biden. So she'd get a 10% boost from Palin, and a 30% drop from Biden. The numbers don't work. Oprah runs a wildly successful business. She has a pretty good take on how to run her business.
 exodusi1
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Boycott Oprah?
Posted: 9/7/2008 12:01:57 PM
I think this is spin from the right in a pre-emptive strike to take away from the fact that she is not speaking to the media. . .

I just wish Tm Russert were still here, we needed hime desperately for a few more months. . .
 Thatguy67
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Boycott Oprah?
Posted: 9/7/2008 1:20:03 PM
"Oprah is just pissed she didn't get the nod for the Dem VP slot......"

Obama and Oprah in '08?
 ManeRider
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Boycott Oprah?
Posted: 9/7/2008 1:24:29 PM
I've not watched that beatch for years.....so I've long since boycotted her show....her special interest, predominantly womens issues, is redundant, mundane, and a complete mockery of what's right and wrong.

I'm not a republican, either, but I could care less if Oprah gets banned or boycotted. I can think of a hundred different programming choices to watch besides her tunnel visioned approach. I wish they'd toss her off the air.

And I AM voting Obama....so it's not in any way a racial issue. I'd have respect for her if she took issue with both sides.... and opened minds rather than offering only opinions of one side of the gender coin.
 junipermoon
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Boycott Oprah?
Posted: 9/7/2008 2:25:54 PM

I just wish Tm Russert were still here, we needed hime desperately for a few more months. . .

lord, isn't that the truth!

and jack anderson

and mike royko

and molly ivins
 Kiss_My_Karma~
Msg: 28
Boycott Oprah?
Posted: 9/7/2008 6:14:48 PM
Oprah had Obama on her show long before he decided to run for president. I read her statement on this today and she said she did not want her show to become a partisan venue. She went out on a limb having Obama on, but that's because that's how much she believed in him...and again this was long before he ran for president. Leave the news to the news people and the political interviews to the people that host political talk shows. Oprah may be very socially active, but that doesn't mean she has to invite Palin on. Not that Palin would go.
 Simlasa
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Boycott Oprah?
Posted: 9/7/2008 6:31:52 PM
but she is the first woman on the ticket for VP and for that she has earned my respect

First woman on a Republican ticket for VP...
Do you have that same respect for Geraldine Ferraro?

Do you also have that respect for Obama for being the first African-American nominee for president by a major party?
C'mon... let us hear how much Obama has earned your respect by being the 'first' at what he's doing...
 darjeeling
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Boycott Oprah?
Posted: 9/7/2008 7:18:20 PM

Palin isn't 'afraid' of the media... the 'Republicans' might still be coaching her, checking her out... but I'd bet she's raring to go.
I've seen her, pre-VP pick, on some other interview shows and she is not some vapid beauty queen... she might not be 'wordly' but she is ambitious, tenacious, and has a quick mind... I just happen to think she is also a friggin' nightmare of bad ideas and foul intentions.

Agreed Simlasa, while it will be interesting to see how she handles questions, I wouldn't bank on her getting stuck too often ... she has that clever tendency of other Republicans to turn an argument on its head, and then one must consider the audience's ability to discern the quality of her answers.

Judging by the accolades given to John McCain, and criticism of Barrack Obama at the Saddleback Forum, I would guess that for many she will be judged solely by their partisan preferences.

One must also unfortunately remember that George Bush was elected twice by similar popular judgement.

My opinion of Sarah Palin is that she is ruthlessly ambitious and a particularly gifted opportunist ... a she-wolf-in-sheep's-clothes.

Sarah Palin - Worse Than Bush

caw
 thatswhatshesaid
Msg: 33
Boycott Oprah?
Posted: 9/7/2008 9:22:20 PM
there's so many better reasons not to watch oprah.
 cncgandolf
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Boycott Oprah?
Posted: 9/7/2008 9:42:09 PM
"there's so many better reasons not to watch oprah."

True ... and a spoilt brat boycott doesn't tend to last long. Witness the change of the name French Fry to Freedom fries. Notice how much profit the French wine industry made when the people who had thrown out their French wines ended up buying more to replace it later.

The Republican's want free market capitalism ... until they don't get their way.

Meanwhile, I agree Palin is the kind of person who would be out talking if she were allowed. That is what the campaign is afraid of and why they have carefully muzzled her until she is properly puppeted.
 thatswhatshesaid
Msg: 35
Boycott Oprah?
Posted: 9/7/2008 9:43:08 PM
^^^seriously, no one is patriotic enough to give up french fries and wine, that's just crazy.
 musicianfriend
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Boycott Oprah?
Posted: 9/7/2008 10:16:31 PM
Oprah has never done much for me one way or the other.. but I do question her association with that nut job pastor Rev. Wright.
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > Boycott Oprah?