Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Slobby look is attractive?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 AwP
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Slobby look is attractive? Page 1 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
Slobby makes me think low-maintence, unvain (Is that a word? It is now.), and unconcerned with what others think of her. All attractive traits to me. Of course there's a difference between slobby and being covered in 2 day old pizza sauce or something. The lack of deodorant probably wasn't good, but that's usually not obvious right away unless you're really stinky.
 Dumpling-Girl
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Slobby look is attractive?
Posted: 9/9/2008 6:49:59 PM
Did you get chased down by slobby guys (guys that would be intimidated/turned off by a really polished look)? I would be curious if you were with people at the clubs and alone during the errands (which is definitely easier to approach). How about experimenting and next week when you do your errands, shower, do your hair nice, use deordorant, etc. and see what happens? My guess is that your attitude and vibes (not even thinking about men vs. unapproachable and looking) has more to do with it. I don't really get chased down much either way, so I can't relate, but I think your hair looks really nice in the pic where you are more dressed up, personally. The few times that guys have made it obvious that they were hitting on me was when I was alone though, so that's my guess if you were with people when you were out on the town.
 AwP
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 9/9/2008 7:11:00 PM

I thought making yourself look appealing would be appealing. Isn't it what the whole beauty is about?

Beauty and being gussied up are not the same thing. The clothes, labels, hairstyles, all that fashion stuff in general is mostly for women to compete with other women. Most guys don't care about that kinda stuff. On some level you might even realized this yourself, why did you put the pic with the messier hair as your main pic rather than the one where it's combed neatly?
 harry_ass
Msg: 15
Posted: 9/9/2008 7:46:08 PM
I find a woman very hard to approach when she's all done up.

When they're all casual, or not made up, I feel they're more down to earth, and easier to associate with. I find the most attractive women are on the golf course, or jogging. Maybe that's a little weird.
 mcbobly
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 9/9/2008 8:35:11 PM
Hey there Kitty, my .02 here says that many men, me included, can be rather intimidated by a totally dressed to the 9's chick or all dolled up and therefore many of us won't approach her because of the ASSumption she wouldn't even give us a the time of day much less an actual chance at a date, where as the chick in scenario 2 looks like someone we feel a bit more comfortable approaching thinking she is a bit more "plain" and isn't someone that has a million dudes constantly hitting on her thus making her frustrated by the over abundance of attention. Me personally, should I be looking which I am not at the moment, would be a lot more likely to approach the lady in scenario 2 over the one in 1 any day, but then that is just me.
 BaldyisBeautiful
Msg: 26
Posted: 9/10/2008 9:55:33 AM
Gosh do I hear where you are coming from Kitty. I don't know how many times I have just run out of the house throwing on the first pair of jeans and gotten hit on more then the times I dig through the dirty clothes and find a half-way clean pair of jeans. It's gotten to be so frustrating, I don't even bother anymore ... I mean can't women tell the difference between jeans that I want to get hit on when I am wearing and jeans that I don't want to be hit on when I am wearing (btw ... the wife beater goes with both pair of jeans, just sometimes its cleaner then others.)
 mthomjmark
Msg: 35
Posted: 10/5/2008 1:24:57 AM

1. Girl goes out in the evening, all pretty, made up a little, cute dress, sweet and fresh as a daisy.
Nada. Not even one guy approaches and she went out to pretty much every happening lounge.

2. Same girl has some chores to run, library, food shopping, drop by chemists, you know.. usual boring stuff. So she rolled out of bed, washed hair without even drying it, no make up, forgot deodorant, threw on jeans she found on the floor, flipflops and an old wifebeater and headed out the door. Yup, pretty much looking like something cats cough up.... and got chased down the street for a phone number twice in two hours

What the heck is up with that!!??

Guys, can you explain this one to me?
Girls, do you have that happen to you?

Its' coincidence; you are acting like one incidence means its fact forever; come on.

One thing I do know, is guys dont like makeup. Some girls wear way too much of it. When they get dressed up it's ridiculous. I dated one beautiful girl and then when we met, she had tons of makeup, and hairspray and looked like crap. i didn't tell her that of course but I dont want to wear makeup when I hug someone. Men like just a little; the natural look.
 gtomustang
Msg: 39
Posted: 10/9/2008 6:02:42 AM
Perhaps, a woman dressed up in a club, is either seen as unapproachable, can't be heard over the noise, or isn't the best looking in the house...but outside, with the wet hair look, jeans on to hide skinny legs (I just had this w/ an excoworker, she looked great in jeans at work, bumped into at a club w/ a skirt on that showed off her chicken legs), a wifebeater revealing both cleavage and shoulder...and especially braless, yum yum....

well, that's the only explanation I can find. It does boggle the mind, OP, but heck I can't figure out why women want to be a friend, want me to flirt with them, but want to date a$$holes who treat them shabbily.

Logic only works among those who are logical
 Gangster Kitten
Msg: 41
Posted: 10/9/2008 6:33:04 AM

Yes, but a man (for example in gym clothes stopping at a corner store for gatorate) is hot disheveled.
No make up required
Woman... not so much IMO

You just pretty much answered your own question. Unless you're a lesbian - or bisexual, you really don't know what it is that makes other women sexually attractive.

Tha' Gangster Kitten himself loves a woman in everyday clothing. She looks more approachable - someone more real than say a person all dressed up and accessorized.

PS: if that's your worst pic, your probably shouldn't put up your best one... Your inbox may explode with mail overflow - if it hasn't already.
 _jay_see_
Msg: 43
Posted: 10/12/2008 12:49:17 AM
Nada. Not even one guy approaches and she went out to pretty much every happening lounge.

So there are actually women out there who *want* to be approached by men? This is amazing.

I'd have never guessed that women expected guys to approach, considering the kinds of body language I observe.

Anyway my 2c is that the nice clothes were probably intimidating, whereas the more casual clothes made you look a bit more easy-going. Guys are usually lean more for the "obtainable" than for the "desirable" when approaching.
 _jay_see_
Msg: 44
Posted: 10/12/2008 12:56:05 AM

Sounds like you've been on the sharp end of the stick as well

Well I'm a guy, so duhh no one's going to approach me. lol

From my (limited) experience, if you're a guy, you 'd better be in a *really* good mood, have excellent body language, look your best and have thick skin if you're going to approach women.
 DreamDancer44
Msg: 50
Posted: 10/16/2008 11:37:40 AM
I have had this happen to me.

1, Is because clubs, bars, lounge places, etc, are more like group activities. Stuff you do with friends. I'm not into that whole scene but even with myself, I won't dare go up to a guy in any of those places, you just never know if they're the sleazy [bar/club, etc] every night type. A lot of guys stay away from the girls for the same reason.

2, Is because you're comfortable. You're also in an everyday setting meaning more people are around. More people have time to look around since they aren't chatting it up having fun with friends.

Then again, it's just different people around at different times. It's all chance.
If there are people that you'd like to approach you at the lounge that don't, approach them.
 BlahGrim
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 10/22/2008 2:51:34 AM
Is this any different for men?

I've had better luck when I met a girl randomly, unshaven, and in clothes I wore all day doing yardwork than when I actually put on decent clothing that was atleast color coordinated. Same deal with trying hard, as well... This seems to be more than an issue of just being yourself.
 scorpiomover
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Posted: 10/22/2008 4:28:20 PM

Goes to show that you're a natural beauty, celebrate it.
Spot on. Some people look great when they aren't trying. So when they are, they end up looking like overkill.

I expect that most days, either you are nervous because you don't have make-up on, or you do have make-up on, and you're still nervous.

That day, you were so rushed, that you weren't wearing make-up, and you didn't have time to worry and be nervous, and men loved it. I'd suggest that you take up yoga, or something that makes you as un-worried and un-nervous as you were that day, you will likely get that level of attention most of the day, most days.
 DreamDancer44
Msg: 61
Posted: 10/23/2008 2:54:37 AM
Labeling girls "princesses and-or peasants" is kind of creepy.
A 5 year old child is a princess. Some with royal blood are princesses.
Peasant speaks or itself in why it's not the nicest term.

I'm sure you're a nice guy, I'm not judging you, just letting you know terms such as those don't come of so nice to many females, lol.
 AwP
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 10/23/2008 4:48:44 AM

Peasant speaks or itself in why it's not the nicest term.

I'm sure you're a nice guy, I'm not judging you, just letting you know terms such as those don't come of so nice to many females, lol.

Then why are peasant blouses so popular among women? Peasant is not an insult unless you think it's an insult to be concidered "not rich and snobby", but since you do then you're probably a princess.
 DreamDancer44
Msg: 68
Posted: 10/23/2008 7:01:46 AM

Then why are peasant blouses so popular among women? Peasant is not an insult unless you think it's an insult to be concidered "not rich and snobby", but since you do then you're probably a princess.

Peasant tops are a style. Calling a shirt a peasant top is a lot different then calling a person one.
No female wants to be called a peasant. The fact that you tried and failed to insult me by calling me a "princess" says a lot about you. You guys could learn a lot about women if you listened to us sometimes and took what we said as advice instead of getting defensive about it.
 ImAHotMess
Msg: 69
Posted: 10/23/2008 5:22:30 PM
I get hit on the most when I have on a cropped sweatshirt showing my shoulders and torn up sweats showing my legs at the gym and all sweaty.... than I do all decked out sometimes...I suppose it depends on the time and place. I will be the first to admit I am more comfy in sweats and flannel pants...I am far from a princess but I can be a queen...lol I just try to always be pretty natural. No one really goes out all perfect looking all the time. How boring. See me at my worst, ya know?
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Slobby look is attractive?