Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > Obama's Lipstick on a Pig      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 geeleebee
Msg: 3
Obama's Lipstick on a Pig Page 1 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
Nothing passive/aggressive about Obama.
And Obsidian is correct--that phrase needs no explanation.
In fact, I thought it was a perfect fit--there is nothing new in the McCain/Palin candidacy--they are, in fact, putting lipstick on the pig and hoping that we don't notice that it's still...a...pig.
 geeleebee
Msg: 5
Obama's Lipstick on a Pig
Posted: 9/9/2008 9:18:19 PM

Most of American women will take it as a direct insult since the word 'lipstick' was used... by Palin... in a hockey joke... then, an Obama operative uses it, followed by Obama himself. This will seem to consequential in the mind's eye of most of women..is my guess. I could be wrong..but, it makes perfectly good common sense to suspect this will be the case.

Therefore, the statement by Obama can be considered a horrible political blunder.

Did you read what Obama said, in its entirety? If you did, then you will see NO mention of Palin--he was CLEARLY talking about McCain's attempt to dress up the same tired shtick and pass it off as a whole new...pig. In lipstick.

And neither you nor I can speak to what 'most' American women think/feel/believe.

And...Obama 'operatives'???
 mjk21258
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 9/9/2008 9:31:14 PM

Allow me to explain it like this:

This Forum is in a tiny vacuum compared to cyberland.
That is relevant in the fact that it's really not going to matter how we 'think' Obama meant it. And, this thread carries an avenue to discuss how the rest of America will take the remark.
This is important because perception is a major component of politics. And, that, in turn, is why I honestly believe Obama blew it big time.

Most of American women will take it as a direct insult since the word 'lipstick' was used... by Palin... in a hockey joke... then, an Obama operative uses it, followed by Obama himself. This will seem mucho too consequential in the mind's eye of most of women..is my guess. I could be wrong..but, it makes perfectly good common sense to suspect this will be the case.

Therefore, the statement by Obama can be considered a horrible political blunder. [/quote}

I really don't think that many women will get upset about it, only those looking to attack Obama. How many woman got upset when McCain laughed it off when someone asked "how are you going to beat the B!@#$?" Referring to Hillary. Guess that was okay, huh?
 geeleebee
Msg: 7
Posted: 9/9/2008 9:35:09 PM

Did I not add in the 'my guess'. See what happens when you diss off part of someone's quote/written/stated word.

I do not speak absolutely for anyone other than myself. But, I can guess... I mean this is still a free Country.

No; I quoted you correctly. The 'guess' sentence came after the 'most of American women...' sentence. I didn't diss off anything.

Most of American women will take it as a direct insult since the word 'lipstick' was used... by Palin... in a hockey joke... then, an Obama operative uses it, followed by Obama himself.
 Boricua Papi
Msg: 8
Posted: 9/9/2008 10:30:49 PM
Certainly Sarah Palin was making reference to the strenght she has demostrated in politics as a young woman dealing in a man's world. Obama seems like not having heard the exact Palin's joke and used an offensive reply. That was a big boo boo! But Obama is already famous for saying these kind of crazy stuff. Great President he would be! I believe McCain-Palin ticket is going to have a steady lead in the polls because this woman is just so attractive, articulate, humble and so down to earth that the democrats will need to come out with something better than an unknown bridge project, a criminal trooper or a pentecostal congregation's speech to take her down.
 The Artful Codger
Msg: 9
Straight Talk
Posted: 9/9/2008 11:10:30 PM

What did Obama allude to in the following You tube?
I saw the clip and I'd say that he was just calling a spade a spade.
 blackprince
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 9/9/2008 11:16:29 PM
There those zanny Republicans go again. I thought small town folks use this type of vernacular to pass something off. I mean come on it is clear to anyone with a brain ,they know what he is talking about. Do better zanny republicans. He did not call Baracudda a ( a carrion eating fish, opportunist fish species a pig. He did not even call her a pitbull who at times need to be put down for societies sake a pig.

But republicans have on more than one accasion called him a Muslim, a terriost a public organizer (yuck ). What MCCain is doing is trying to re-brand his party, and Obama is saying you can put old fish in a bed of roses and it is still old fish and it will still smell.
 kabiosile
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Straight Talk
Posted: 9/9/2008 11:48:35 PM
Yeah, Also this has been the typical Karl Rove 1000000 pounds of nonsense campaign. He is good at making the people who live in the rural areas of the USA vote for people who do not hold their interests in the least bit. He does this by turning anything he can into whatever wedge issue they care about culturally. His candidates such as W will even wear cowboy hats and big belt buckles, and put on a fake southern accent even though they grew up in the northeast and went to ivy league university.

Karl rove via his talking heads like Rush and others have people believing Sarah is the first ever VP candidate that was woman. Not true dems did it first in 84. Look up Geraldine Ferraro

Karl Rove is notorious for hoodwinking the people of rural america and distracting them from the real issues with wedge issues. Right now he is also taking aim at women. His attempt to make women angry with Obama should anger feminists and women more than anything he is trying to accuse Obama of. In the end Karl Rove and all republicans know that this election is about an incumbent party who has blatant egregious failures over the last 6-8 years trying to claim that they can bring change after they F'd up big time.

First question is what are republicans going to change? Stuff they messed up? hehehe yeah right.

How does a party do this? Well Karl Rove is betting on the same strategy he has always used divide and conquer and take people out of context or outright lie since he knows most people in rural america do not have the time or care to look into what he is claiming as fact. They believe his goons and assume but, try and do a bit of research people. they are lying about a whole host of things about Obama trying to make people not even listen to what the man has to say, or truly read what he is about.

I have had plenty of people send me the email going around totally outright lying about obama's purposed tax plan. The republican party has become slanderous under Karl Rove. I would not believe a damn thing they say without serious research.

Anyone who listens to anything the talking heads of either side have to say make sure you look into it before you react you will likely find out the people making wild accusations are guilty of trying to play on your emotions which to me at least is FAR worse and devious than even if someone called someone a pig.

To me Karl Rove is a pig!
 Ready4SomethingFun
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Straight Talk
Posted: 9/10/2008 12:02:40 AM

There those zanny Republicans go again.

Yep, the lipstick thing this time, last time it was the uppity thing.

Oh wait......that was you guys making a mountain out of a molehill first.

C'mon, this is getting out of control.
 kabiosile
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Straight Talk
Posted: 9/10/2008 12:19:41 AM

Yep, the lipstick thing this time, last time it was the uppity thing......
......C'mon, this is getting out of control.

I agree 100% these kind of arguments end up distracting the people from the real issues. Neither side has satisfied my curiosity on what they intend to do.

Nader I believe is the best choice for the common man of this country but, he gets no chance in the corporate dominated media. Thus no chance to win at this point this cycle. Maybe people will wake up if it's not too late.

Instead of serious talk about the issues, we get the celebrity obsession of both candidates we hear about gossip, whom slept with whom, and slander.

In my opinion if this is what these two parties are about NEITHER are fit for office. I know a lot of this has to do with the media's only concern with ratings and corporate sponsors. Both sides "liberal" and "conservative" D and R are in the pockets of corporations.

mjk21258
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 9/10/2008 2:50:16 AM

What did Obama allude to in the following You tube?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPd4yk0x-eg

Was he having his cake and eating it too? Did he take this opportunity to run Palin down and denigrate her by making reference to the joke that she made at the Republican National Convention that went as follows:

"What's the difference between a hockey mom and a pit bull?
Answer: Lipstick."

The urban dictionary states the following:

lipstick on a pig - slang for when someone tries to dress something up, but is still that something. usually used on ugly broads, when they put on a skirt and some lipstick and well, they still look like the same digusting pig.
"You put lipstick on a pig, it's still a pig"

So, give us your opinion, please. Was Obama being passive aggressive and name calling Palin a pig by camouflaging, pretending to give his commentary a different meaning, or did he intentionally and obviously insult Palin?

What do you think about it if his intent was to call Palin a pig? Think it was over the top, inappropriate, or do you think she has it coming? Was the comment sexist?

Strangely enough, McCain once used the same term when talking about Hillary Clinton's health care proposals. So was he calling Hillary a pig? Add that to the incident when he didn't admonish one of his supporters for calling Hillary a B!@#$ when asking him a question, he just laughed about it. Now, I would say that makes McCain atleast as sexist if this "lipstick in a pig" is in fact sexist.
 mjk21258
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Straight Talk
Posted: 9/10/2008 2:56:00 AM

Yep, the lipstick thing this time, last time it was the uppity thing.

Oh wait......that was you guys making a mountain out of a molehill first.

C'mon, this is getting out of control.

Well, come on. The uppity thing does have some validity. I have never in my life heard a white person referred to as 'uppity". yeah the boy is an uppity honky! But, I have heard black people referred to as "uppity n!@@$#s" more times than I care to remember.
 MacKevinized
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 9/10/2008 3:18:20 AM

Thanks for the laugh

It shows Obama is getting spunky.

He didn't really mention if the pig was male or female so how do we know he wasn't talking about McCain in drag.

What do you think about it if his intent was to call Palin a pig? Think it was over the top, inappropriate, or do you think she has it coming? Was the comment sexist?

Confused about attaching a label?

Maybe we should take it in context and assume he was talking about how they are dressing up their piggish policies with lipstick.
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Straight Talk
Posted: 9/10/2008 3:44:05 AM
Yeah i didn't think he was refering that to Palin either, but more on the lines to McCain's so called shaking up D.C. rants. All he was doing was stealing a line from Palins hockey moms pitbull lipstick joke.

I mean, Obama told the media to stop attacking her in those ways, because it was having a negative impact on his campaign. So the last thing Obama wants to do is to stir up the bees nest again.
 blackprince
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Straight Talk
Posted: 9/10/2008 4:21:39 AM
Well this just goes to show you that there are smart people in this country and to be honest most are democrats because we actaully take the time think things through.

But here is my last rant on the MCcain and the republicans and America.

Americans are like battered ,abused woman, or child. We get beat down, dragged through the trenches, cheated on whipped until we can stand no more. We suffer from PTSD or battered women syndrom. We complain we call the police (politician's) we march we go to court decry how we have been abused.

Then when we get a back bone and the batter sees that we mean buisiness, they promise us oh honey i am so sorry , i love you , i will never do it again. I promise i will do better. Just give me one more try. And we do it.

The problem here is that once a batter always a batter, they wont charge and they never will. Guess whos the batter this time and guess who's promising to change.

Republicans
MCCAIN/Palin

Thats who, and you know what we will continue to be abused and battered until we get rid of them, until we show them we mean buisiness.

Obama is not perfect and there are things i do not aggree with him on, but he is a far better choice than MCCAIN/Palin on his worse days. The democrats are not perfect and their time as the batter,put them out there in the wilderness. So maybe its the republicans time to be out there in the wilderness.

You know i read this some where and i cannot remember where, it was a quote. "What will the neighbors think" the neighbors being other countries. So yeah just like battered women who keep going back to the batter, and we all know them. And we all say why, and whats their response " He promised he will do better or he said he wont do it again " just like us the neighbors what is she thinking. Other countries must be saying what the he** is wrong with Americans.

Why should Obama come down there to the slums where MCCAIN/Palin is?

Obama/Biden
 MacKevinized
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 9/10/2008 4:45:35 AM

GREAT NEWS EVERYONE....they have a video of John MCCain saying the exact same phrase last year. It's an expression that is used quite often.

I think it's funny that they're demanding an apology.

McCain was talking about Hilary when referring to Pigs with Lipstick.

If apologies are in order, Let republicans apologize too. For lying about getting us into a war based on lies, they should go apologize to every mother that lost a child, they should apologize to every maimed soldier and they should knock on practically every door in the country to apologize about what their economic policy's have done to them. They should apologize to their followers for the brain washing them by chanting 'less government is better' while they strip their social infrastructure to build a bigger government.

Of course they should do all this apologizing AFTER being convicted and have completed their sentences.
 Optimistic for 2008
Msg: 21
Posted: 9/10/2008 6:45:12 AM
Southern Lass......it's like a rose by any other name is still a rose....Lipstick or not....wrong is wrong...
 itechman63
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 9/10/2008 7:23:29 AM

This was totally unacceptable for him to say as a Presidential Candidate.

None of them have done anything acceptable either during a campaign nor while in office. Expecting it is pointless. Even more pointless is cheering your guy on when he/she behaves unacceptably then making an issue when you have to take what you dish out.

I think we ought to just make the candidates play dodgeball to decide who's going to run the country.
 angelsands
Msg: 24
Posted: 9/10/2008 9:12:20 AM
If You put lipstick on a pig, IT IS STILL A PIG..!!! When I was a kid, my little sister used to MAKE me watch the "muppets" show with her. Believe me, there was no arguing with her. I remember that Ms piggy REALLY LOOKED LIKE A PIG.... WITH LIPSTICK..!! I just don't see what is the problem here. She was sassy, funny, but most importantly. SHE HAD CLASS!! And she also has been SEVARAL times in the cover of some magazines, VOGUE included. (If I am going to believe my sister) I wonder what miss piggy has to say about all this.... She is very opinionated, You know..?? She'll probably want to run for the presidency herself!. So, yes, IF YOU PUT LIPSTICK ON A PIG, IT IS STILL A PIG..!!!!..........
 Simlasa
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 9/10/2008 9:45:36 AM
Saying the comment was directed at Palin is a load of crap... people trying to play the victim to get sympathy.
I've used that 'pig in lipstick' phrase a LOT... along with 'pig in a dress' and 'pearls before swine'...
I don't really think that most of the people here screaming about it really believe Obama was targeting Palin... it's just crocodile tears.
If they're really that dumb/gullible then there's no hope for them anyway.
 Simlasa
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 9/10/2008 10:32:27 AM
How is it 'inappropriate' when McCain has used the same phrase and there are other instances of Obama using it prior to Palin?
Just because YOU can't disconnect from the need to feel outraged about something, ANYTHING... does not mean that there is really any THERE there.
 darjeeling
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 9/10/2008 10:36:56 AM

... its just one more reason to vote for the Republicans.... UGHHH ... in my case for the very first time..... I feel like a traitor backing this side....

As well you should ... 'feel like a traitor' ... for deciding to back the same Republican operatives who have cynically lied ... consistently and repeatedly ... for the past 30 years about everything in matters of public policy ... even to the point of getting us into a War because doing so at the time looked politically advantageous to Bush's re-election.

And Now They Are Lying About This ... Big Surprise.

This is a common analogy referencing taking something ugly and gussying-it-up for public display by camouflaging its defects, which is clearly Obama's intent.

Obama's remark at a Virginia campaign stop: "John McCain says he's about change too, and so I guess his whole angle is, "Watch out George Bush -- except for economic policy, health care policy, tax policy, education policy, foreign policy and Karl Rove-style politics -- we're really going to shake things up in Washington," he said.

"That's not change. That's just calling something the same thing something different. You know you can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig. You know you can wrap an old fish in a piece of paper called Change, it's still going to stink after eight years. We've had enough of the same old thing'

Again, this is a common analogy that has been around for years, as they very well know, from their very own first hand experience.

In Iowa last October, John McCain drew comparisons between Hillary Clinton's current health care plan and the one she championed in 1993: "I think they put some lipstick on the pig, but it's still a pig." {John McCain}

He used roughly the same line in May, after effectively claiming the Republican nomination.

Other politicians have also used the phrase in recent years, including Vice President****Cheney, Sen. Maria Cantwell of Washington state, Sen. James Inhofe of Oklahoma, Sen. Mitch McConnell of Kentucky, Rep. John Mica of Florida and Rep. Tom Tancredo of Colorado, among others.

Torie Clarke, a former McCain adviser, even wrote a book called, "Lipstick on a Pig: Winning In the No-Spin Era by Someone Who Knows the Game."

So, was John McCain calling Hillary Clinton a Pig last October?

By McCain campaign standards he must have been ... because by their logic ... mentioning Lipstick always = an insulting insinuation to gender = John McCain was calling Hillary Clinton a Pig. Which of course he didn't ... he was commenting on Hillary Clinton's policy, just like Barrack Obama was commenting that McCain's 'change policy' was really just Bush policy ... slapped with Lipstick.

What does Mike Huckabee say about this?

Huckabee took Obama's side on the issue, saying he didn't think it was a swipe at Palin.

"It's an old expression, and I'm going to have to cut Obama some slack on that one. I do not think he was referring to Sarah Palin; he didn't reference her. If you take the two sound bites together, it may sound like it," he said on Fox's "Hannity and Colmes."

"But I've been a guy at the podium many times, and you say something that's maybe a part of an old joke and then somebody ties it in. So, I'm going to have to cut him slack."

I guess Huckabee was feeling generous this week after participating in the phony 'Palin under attack by the 'Hateful Left' mantra' that characterized their convention, which they are resurrecting again.

Still, the McCain campaign says Obama's use was intentional, and they want an apology.
"Barack Obama's comments today are offensive and disgraceful. He owes Gov. Palin an apology," said Maria Comella, a McCain-Palin spokeswoman.

Obama owes Palin an apology for what? Using the word, Lipstick? This is complete bullshit ... and phony gender whining to boot. Poor little pitbull SarahCuda. Waaaa !!!

Obama's campaign said "enough is enough" and accused McCain of running a "dishonorable campaign."

"The McCain campaign's attack tonight is a pathetic attempt to play the gender card about the use of a common analogy -- the same analogy that Sen. McCain himself used about Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton's health care plan just last year," said Obama campaign senior adviser Anita Dunn. "This phony lecture on gender sensitivity is the height of cynicism and lays bare the increasingly dishonorable campaign John McCain has chosen to run."

But McCain's campaign is not about to let the issue go. They released a Web ad Wednesday that plays Obama's lipstick comments, then asks, "Ready to lead? No. Ready to smear?

McCain and Palin ... Ready to Lead? No.

Ready to Smear? Absolutely.

It's what Republican politicians like John McCain, Sarah Palin and George Bush do best.

Our new campaign poster should be McCain - Palin 08? written in Lipstick over an an image of George Bush.

An analogy that is entirely apt, and properly derisive.

caw
 itechman63
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 9/10/2008 10:45:44 AM

Bowling or Moose-Skinning is a much better idea I think!

Suth, I think you're not wanting it to be a fair competition!
 zabet
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 9/10/2008 10:46:25 AM
How many Puerto Ricans and people of color did you see at the Republican Convention? You really think they have your interests at heart?
 darjeeling
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 9/10/2008 11:08:20 AM

However, this is an election for the most powerful office in the world, and so the result is, its a war. There are no rules in a war.

I agree ... and that is why I suggest to other progressives that we've commented on this thread enough, and we should just let this phony issue and flamebait post DIE ... and Let them continue having their cynical little circle jerk.

It won't be quite as much fun without tweaking the Liberals.

caw
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > Obama's Lipstick on a Pig