Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > How do we defeat Terrorism?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 nipoleon
Msg: 2
view profile
History
How do we defeat Terrorism?Page 1 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
How about figuring out the issues the terrorists are motivated about and addressing them in a civilized manner ?

Oops, sorry...... we don't do that sort of thing, do we ?
 Bluesman2008
Msg: 4
How do we defeat Terrorism?
Posted: 9/11/2008 1:17:35 AM
And you'll vote for McCain to insure that very thing.

You begin to defeat terrorism of any kind by understanding why it's there to begin with. Unfortunately, we went directly to step two - killing them where we found them. That won't work though because for every one we kill, they'll recruit two more. So what did that get you exactly? Do the math. How many terrorists were there when this mess all started for the very first time? 15,000? 20,000? How many are there now? What exactly have we accomplished? The fact is, if you start something on a false premise, things can only get worse. Much worse.
 Bluesman2008
Msg: 5
Posted: 9/11/2008 1:33:56 AM
I should have answered my own question (how many are there now). These are, of course, estimates, albeit thoughtful ones, but how about this:

But when it comes to actual jihadists, to those who have or will commit an act of terrorism in Allah's name, my research suggests that they represent no more than one in one hundred of the 180 million young fundamentalist Muslim men prepared mentally, morally, and spiritually to be terrorists. That means that there are 1.8 million actual Islamic jihadists on the planet today - a number which could jump one hundred fold almost instantaneously should the opportunity arise.

And interesting article which speaks to this very question.

http://www.prophetofdoom.net/Islamic_Terrorism_Timeline.Islam
 Bluesman2008
Msg: 7
Posted: 9/11/2008 1:43:45 AM
It's not a question of appeasing or negotiating with them. Bin Ladin TOLD you why he did what he did. People weren't listening. All they had on their mind was "kill the SOB". That didn't work. What next? I mean, even if you killed him, that would end nothing. On the contrary, it would only make him a martyr. Now what do you do?
 no1shero
Msg: 9
Posted: 9/11/2008 1:57:00 AM

Now what do you do?

Simple. You find a defense firm, say Lockheed Martin, invest some money and hang on for a ride.

Beer?
 nipoleon
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 9/11/2008 2:00:39 AM
Know what Osama bin Laden's big complaint is ?
You probably don't like it either.

Osama bin Laden's big complaint is that there are foreign troops in Arabia, Saudi Arabia in particular.
When Iraq, under Saddam Hussein invaded Kuwait back in 1990 and threatened to invade Saudi Arabia ( remember that ? ), Bin Laden went to the Saudi leaders and asked them not to let foreign armies repel the Iraqis. He wanted the Saudi army to do it with the help of his own Mujahideen fighters from Afghanistan.
The Saudis laughed him out of the room and the U.S. put up military bases on Saudi soil and the rest is history.
But, Saddam Hussein is dead and buried and Iraq has been invaded and occupied by the U.S. .Those military bases are still in Saudi Arabia, we never moved out after the 1st gulf war.

Frankly on this particular point, I think Bin Laden's got a legitimate gripe.
 Beefcakedaddio
Msg: 11
Posted: 9/11/2008 2:05:45 AM
"There are just too many of them to kill. But "negotiating" with them, or "appeasing" them won't work either. Both of those concepts have already been tried world wide.""

I think there is a concrete example of negotiating with "terrorists" that has resulted in peace.

That would be the IRA.The Brtish negotiated with Shin Fien the political wing of the IRA in Ireland.The result was dis-armenant and truce.Shin Fien was allowed exist as a political entity.

Don't buy the Bush-Republican jingoism over the term "appeasment "

Hammas was democratically elected in Palistine recently.Regardless of thier ideology Palistinians revered Hamas as the organization who helped the people in a time of need.

However they were deemed as not worthy of necessary emergancy funding.How do you expect the middle east to buy into democracy if outsiders determine who a legitimate political party is?

Yes they had a bad history but there could have been an oppurtunity to move forward , and oppurtunity lost by rejecting the peoples choice.They will lose faith in democracy.
 Beefcakedaddio
Msg: 12
Posted: 9/11/2008 2:21:56 AM
"Islam hates non followers of their religion"

Thats a pretty broad generalization there , I think there is evidence out there to suggest otherwise. It might pertain to the so called"radical Islam". 98 % of Muslims probably aren't radical.

"The situation is now, and it seems to me, they hate us, want to convert us or kill us, it's as simple as that"

Don't apply Christian values of conversion.The message of Islam was meant to stand on it's own individuals are welcome to embrace that message. There is lots of historical evidence of Islams tolerance of other religions.During the Islamic Empire they left other religions alone as long as they paid taxes.To practice converting others to Islam is considered a blasphemy(though it has been practiced in some cases for sure,mostly not)
 mjk21258
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 9/11/2008 2:25:26 AM

It's too late for us to do anything.

Hence my answer to the OP's question: We don't.

What would YOU do to make amends with Bin Laden, Bluesman? And which of Bin laden's attacks on the US do you make reference to, when you say "why he did what he did"? Do you believe he is giving you the real reason for his displeasure? What is your solution to the problem with terrorists?

You don't make amend with Bin Laden and his ilk, first of all that is impossible. What you have to do is make nice with the moderate types and get enough support from them where it make it virtually impossible for the radicals to operate.
 Beefcakedaddio
Msg: 15
Posted: 9/11/2008 2:26:59 AM
"Then IRA was and is completely diferent from Islam...."

The IRA was a terrorist organisation, and they were able to form a political wing and a peace was negotiated.Where is the difference.
 Bluesman2008
Msg: 16
Posted: 9/11/2008 2:57:12 AM
Dammit. I just hit the copy key before hitting the paste key with my three page response so, dammit, I'll have to do it tomorrow. But,

hings to think about,

Nazism wasn't defeated, Hitler and Germany where, but Nazism still exists today,

Communism, has not been defeated, still exist in some country's today.

Now we're getting warm. You can't kill and idea. Did you ever try? What does an idea look like? Where does it hide? What kind of uniform does it wear? What kinds of weapons/defenses does it have and where are they? If you have an answer to that one, please let me know. Jihadists could no more kill all infidels (westerners) than it could kill the idea of democracy and more than we could kill Islam, Islamists, radical or otherwise.

And if you killed an American president, you wouldn't kill America, or democracy, or freedom or all of the infidels, so what are THEY going to do. You see, they have the same problem we do. They just have a lot less to distract them from their task. We're concerned right now with lipstick on pigs so we're a little preoccupied.

More tomorrow
 CharlesEdm
Msg: 17
Posted: 9/11/2008 3:14:13 AM

Islam hates non followers of their religion (same could be said for other religions also)...Look atr the history of Islam, their conquests and dealings with "us"....And btw, I am not forgetting the way "we" dealt with other religions/countries etc etc etc....The situation is now, and it seems to me, they hate us, want to convert us or kill us, it's as simple as that...I remember a few years ago, one documentary, an Afghan guide for a reporter into Taliban run Afghanistan, there was one scene where the guide weeped...Why?...Because, as he said, he "was unclean, (as he) had spoken to an unbeliever"...how can one begin start negotiating with this kind of attitude? Unless ofcourse you patronise...

I've been to two seperate countries that were primarily islamic where i was treated with nothing but respect. Afghanistan is not representative of the Muslim faith anymore than Rawanda was a good representation of the christian faith.

so, no, apeasement, and/or negotiation simply won't work......not from the want of trying though....It may take place, but they want our world destroyed, simple...

Apeasement and negotation are not the same thing. Equating the two simply shows an agenda on your part.

As for quote mining the Islamic holly text, all i have to say is that the bible is full of the exact same sort of crap. Which is how we got great things like holy crusades. I'll be honest, I think the world would be better off without the Muslim faith, but then again I think it would be better off without the Christian one as well. Both have extremists who are not interested in having any outside viewpoints in their society, the difference is in the middle east they have the reigns of power, and in North America they're in the process of taking them.
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 9/11/2008 3:46:14 AM
Well for starters the U.S. needs to stop doing business with some of these middle-eastern countries that support terrorism, because the more money we give these countries that support terrorism, the more money ends up in the hands of some of these extremist groups. That’s why we need to get off the dependence of foreign oil in more ways then one ASAP.
 CharlesEdm
Msg: 19
Posted: 9/11/2008 3:50:44 AM

Well for starters the U.S. needs to stop doing business with some of these middle-eastern countries that support terrorism, because the more money we give these countries that support terrorism, the more money ends up in the hands of some of these extremist groups. That’s why we need to get off the dependence of foreign oil in more ways then one ASAP.

Not going to happen. The independence on foreign oil I mean. Energy independence is a myth.

You want to improve things in the middle east? Start making deals dependent on cracking down on internal terrorist funding rather than allowing military bases. Fund your police agencies, help countries secure their nuclear stockpiles, and recognize that terrorism has historically been dealt with best as a criminal justice/special forces rather than one for the military. Invasions don't stop terrorism, they just breed it.
 rayahyeh
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 9/11/2008 3:50:45 AM
Although my remarks offer no suggested solutions , I do suggest that the definition of Terrorism is expanded .
Russia is now a Fascist state and if anyone finds that statenment inflammatory or upsetting, I suggest they check the definition of that Label on any reputable site , using any Dictionary source or Search Engine . There are striking , close parallels with pre-war Nazi Germany .
The strength of Russia in terms of imposing its will over other peoples is now huge and growing .I think we all know that the big sticks are now Oil and Gas supply as opposed to territory expansion -- despite the recent Georgia spat .
Don't take your eye of the Ball is my advice .And if you get really interested in the subject , check out Russias tacit and direct support of other more conventional Terrorist operations --- arms support to Syria and more direct support to Palestinian extremists , plus support to Iran which is undoubtedly supporting the Taliban and do not forget , Iran appears to have very definite views about the need for Israel to even exist .
Most of these strategies keep our eyes distracted from Russia's main thrust which is to tie up the Islamic Crescent group of countries -- all Oil and Gas players with huge reserves .
In contrast , the single influence of Osama Dustbin ( as I stupidly call him ) is quite small , I suggest . And , frankly almost irrelevant
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 9/11/2008 4:52:21 AM
Not going to happen. The independence on foreign oil I mean. Energy independence is a myth.

Actually it's not myth. We have a lot of options here to go mostly independent, like natural gas, solar, wind and nuclear energy. The problem is we are way late to the game and it will take another 30+ years for it to hit mainstream use and that's if we start now. Now I agree that going fully independent is a myth, that's never going to happen. We dont' have enough energy resoruces in the country to do that even if you combined natural gas, solar, wind and nuclear energy together to feed the needs of all 350 million people living in the U.S.

The main problem is that the U.S. gov, the U.S. automotive industry, and the U.S. oil companies are all to blame for high gas prices and no alternative solutions. Both the gov and U.S. automotive industry didn't do anything after the gas crisis in the early 70's, because both of them were in bed with the U.S. oil companies. So the U.S. gov and U.S. automotive industry were getting kick backs from the U.S. oil companies to not raise standards or research alternative fuels. So they just went along on their business as usal for 30 something years never really trying to improve fuel efficiency or come up with alternative fuels. I mean, it’s pretty pathetic that the Ford Model-T that was built in 1903, got 25mpg and ran on ethanol fuel which got better mpg’s then most cars did in the 1990's that ran on regular fuel. But now all of a sudden the U.S. gov is raising all these new 35mpg or higher standards by 2020, due to consumer outrage over rising gas prices. The US automotive industry is scrambling to meet those demands and while all this is happening the U.S. gov, the U.S, automotive industries and the U.S. oil companies are all pointing the blame at one another, but it’s because of all 3 is the reason why we are in this mess today to having to keep dependending upon foreign oil for our needs.
 MacKevinized
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 9/11/2008 5:04:41 AM
Getting rid of organizations that depend on a population trained to fear.

Fear is a conditioned response and the terrorist organizations know this, They gather the fearful into groups in buildings and spew dogmatic catch phrases to maintain an acceptable level of fear which can be later used to prevent logical thought.

Once their programed, it's easy to direct what you want of them as they've been conditioned into thinking their 'leaders' will keep them from the fear.

Outlaw all churches, synagogs, mosques, and public and private organizations that preach fear. Outlaw politicians that deviate from the issues and their proposals to fix the problems.

Get free psychological counseling for anyone that believes they must live in fear.
 Beefcakedaddio
Msg: 27
Posted: 9/11/2008 5:13:26 AM
They both used acts of terrorism.Actually th IRA had a clear mandate,clear leadership and direction under one umbrella.Where as the Mid east situation there are factions of militant Islamists and everyone wants to wright of Islam and all Muslims this is dangerous territory and inane.People want to believe this is about ideology when it is about greed.Religion and ideology is used to manipulate followers.
 Beefcakedaddio
Msg: 28
Posted: 9/11/2008 5:23:18 AM
Horrible spelling ..last post

Resolving terrorism using an ideolgical perspective is a waste of time.
Get to the root the truths , who has what money involved, follow the money trail.

The West doesn't want us to know the real answer.
 CharlesEdm
Msg: 29
Posted: 9/11/2008 5:31:10 AM
quote]Obviousely you don't know....

Your post certainly doesn't make it obvious.

Terrorism is a tactic. You can't defeat terrorism anymore than you can win a war against the colour blue.

Next, the war on flanking, because real men attack head on! Followed by the war on hull down positions, because only pussies hide their tanks hull!

Actually it's not myth. We have a lot of options here to go mostly independent, like natural gas, solar, wind and nuclear energy. The problem is we are way late to the game and it will take another 30+ years for it to hit mainstream use and that's if we start now. Now I agree that going fully independent is a myth, that's never going to happen. We dont' have enough energy resoruces in the country to do that even if you combined natural gas, solar, wind and nuclear energy together to feed the needs of all 350 million people living in the U.S.

You know what? I'm sorry, I jumped to a conclusion that you meant oil drilling.
 angelsands
Msg: 30
Posted: 9/11/2008 5:49:59 AM
Why is most of the people here equalizing islam to terrorism..??? HELLO..!!! KNOCK...KNOCK.. ANYBODY THERE....??? I mean, people, GET REAL>>!! Have you forgotten WACO???, RUBY RIDGE.??. COLUMBINE??,, Virginia,.??.The bombing of the Olympics...?? Etc, etc, etc..?? Hell, people GOT REALLY TERRORIZED JUST BY THINKING THEY WOULD GET A LETTER ON THE MAIL THAT WILL CONTAIN SOME STUFF LIKE ANTRAX..!! And the guy who did it, had NOTHING to do with religion....!!! HE WAS A SCIENTIST..!!! ........As long as WE are willing to give in to "terror", as long as we choose to live in fear, because of religion beliefs, personal issues, or because we don't want to take the time to understand others., We will ALWAYS have people who will take advantage of it and "terrorize". So, You, ...We.... can not defeat terrorism.... Until We learn to live with and RESPECT EACH OTHER... No matter which creed, social status, nationality, race, sex, etc. WE WILL ALWAYS LIVE IN FEAR... consequently, in terror.
 itechman63
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 9/11/2008 5:51:29 AM

Osama bin Laden's big complaint is that there are foreign troops in Arabia, Saudi Arabia in particular.

DING! DING! DING! Here's your winner!
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 9/11/2008 6:11:06 AM
DING! DING! DING! Here's your winner!

Osama is just upset that he didn't get a piece of that Saudi Kingdoms Pie. He was been upset with them for years, because the Saudi Royal family were getting poweful from Euorpean and Western oil interest and the Royal Kingdom was giving him none of that power. So in return he hates the Royal Kingdom and any europeans and western interest for that. This whole I hate european and western interest, because the toorps were there is a bogus excuse for him to attract more radicals into his hate. I mean how many people would have joined up with him if we was telling the real reason for his hate? Not too many. Osama was hating the U.S. and European interest long before we stepped one foot in iraq the first time let alone now, due to his jelousey towards the Royal Kingdoms power that they got from their interest partners.
 angelsands
Msg: 34
Posted: 9/11/2008 6:11:08 AM
I been watching the morning news and there has been some reports of people commiting suicide, because they though the test on particle accelerator (the biggest machine of the world) in Geneva, would cause the END OF THE WORLD..!! Gee. ... talk about terror..!! I safe to say that they did not take the time to do some resarch and to try to UNDERSTAND what was about to happen. Because they ASSUMED The end was HERE..... See the point..?? Do I ned to say more..??..
 angelsands
Msg: 35
Posted: 9/11/2008 6:17:31 AM
Mr. steelcity, just for your information, Mr. Osama Al-fazzad Bin-Laden, BELONGS to the saudi royal house.. He is part of the SAUDI ROYAL FAMILY (or was, just in case he is already death). And he, at one time, was considered one OF THE RICHEST MEN ON EARTH... according to forbes magazine... ..
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > How do we defeat Terrorism?