Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > most unique bands/artist      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 closecounts
Msg: 1
most unique bands/artistPage 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
So, who do you think stands out from the rest? Bands or musical artists with a qualitiy that makes them immediately and uniquely identifiable. Of course there are many who are obscure, so think in terms of bands with at least reasonable success. Bnads most people would know. Who can you recognize almost instantly? A few that come to mind without much thought - The Doors (Jim Morrison), Hendrix (although he's been so influential to guitarists it might not seem totally unique anymore), and maybe most of all, Frank Zappa and the Mothers. TOTALLY unique sounds. Of course these are rather dated examples. Who do you think is unlike any other?
 A1-sauce
Msg: 2
most unique bands/artist
Posted: 9/11/2008 8:54:55 AM
Pat metheny all the way. ALL the songs on his cds sound different. He's very unique. he's not mainstreem, But his music is awesome.
 AtoutLeMonde
Msg: 3
most unique bands/artist
Posted: 9/11/2008 10:20:26 AM

and maybe most of all, Frank Zappa and the Mothers.

Just Another Band From L.A....Billy the Mountain!!!!!

James Gang, ...Cd- James Gang Bang....Guitarist-Tommy Bolin...AWESOME
Deep Purple....Cd-Come Taste the Band...Guitarist-Tommy Bolin...ROCKS
 Diva_31
Msg: 4
most unique bands/artist
Posted: 9/11/2008 3:48:50 PM
I love love love Ani Difranco and can never say enough about her. She's been known for being a political activist, but since having her baby she's been writing more, happy songs. She's fun, quirky and just inspiring

Aimee Mann
Leonard Cohen
Lorreena McKennitt
Tori Amos *drool*
Ashley MacIsaac
Apocolyptica (great instrumental cover band, cellos)
Arrogant Worms
Captain Tractor
Weird Al (if you want to put him in this category)

Sorry if my spelling is off, but it's been a long day. These artists are fantastic and stick out from the norm every day music you hear.
 good guitar player
Msg: 5
view profile
History
most unique bands/artist
Posted: 9/11/2008 4:44:42 PM
HENDRIX ....great music , production, singing, oh yeah changed the way guitar is played.

one flaw you many clone n wannbes....who are a plae image on the man
 OpenWaterCaptn
Msg: 6
most unique bands/artist
Posted: 9/11/2008 9:38:58 PM
local artists for me

jj grey and mofro have meaningful lyrics about north florida
brantley gilbert every one of his have me turning off the radio
corey smith HUGE fanbase but to honest for radio play
 ~Serendipity
Msg: 7
most unique bands/artist
Posted: 9/12/2008 7:06:27 AM
For a metal band, I think Apocalyptica wins the award in all aspects of their music. They get a bonus for the use of strings coupled with their guitars, as it sounds 10x more intense! Furthermore, their chord progressions are insanely sick, but still enjoyable and not overly abstract. 3 cheers for my favorite band
 kewl guy
Msg: 8
most unique bands/artist
Posted: 9/13/2008 2:21:20 AM
i think the band that sang that song 'macarena' was really really really talented. wish there'd be a radio station that woud play it non stop.
 kewl guy
Msg: 9
most unique bands/artist
Posted: 9/13/2008 2:25:25 AM
i also like the band Nsync... very talented and they are very under-rated artists.
 1 Great Dane
Msg: 10
most unique bands/artist
Posted: 9/13/2008 3:52:02 AM
Most unique? That's a tough question. Groups ahead of their time, that's a different story. Groups ahead of their time (in other words, didn't get enough recognition in my opinion) could include (in rough chronological order):

Chet Baker
John Coltrane
Jimmy Cliff
Be Bop Deluxe
Sex Pistols (debatable)
DOA (not debatable)
Visage
Yello
Mother Love Bone/Alice in Chains ( or just about any other Seattle grunge band other than Nirvana/Pearl Jam, who are both great)
Rebecca Pidgeon (okay, besides the fact she is gorgeous, she really does have an amazing voice, overlooking her sibilance)

Actually, there is a lot more, I'm just too tired right now to fill it in - anyone care to fill it in for me?

1GD
 spitfire6844
Msg: 11
view profile
History
most unique bands/artist
Posted: 9/13/2008 1:01:07 PM
Rock: High Llamas. Ween.

Metal: On Thorns I Lay, Lacuna Coil

Rap/Hip-Hop: Arrested Development, Blackalicious, OutKast
 Vindicator
Msg: 12
most unique bands/artist
Posted: 9/13/2008 1:48:10 PM
The brand new Dandy Warhols album...is pretty unique.
 AtoutLeMonde
Msg: 13
most unique bands/artist
Posted: 9/13/2008 6:42:21 PM
Checked it out very good ty
 kcmichellecasablancas
Msg: 14
most unique bands/artist
Posted: 9/13/2008 10:10:34 PM
If you can handle some pretty intense screamage, check out The Blood Brothers.
It's one of those bands you think "what in the world?...I think i love this?!"

If you are into a more folky acoustic sound try some Damien Rice. His voice is so incredibly raw.
 avalanche325
Msg: 15
most unique bands/artist
Posted: 9/13/2008 10:19:45 PM
What makes Lacuna Coil so unique?

They're good but far from unique. Female fronted metal bands are all over the place.
There's Nightwish, Withing Temptation, Arch Enemy, After Forever, Epica, etc. There's even MTV trash female bands like Evanescence, Paramore and Flyleaf.

GWAR is pretty unique in their live shows. Musically Our Lady Peace's early stuff wasn't like anything else. Ayreon is also pretty unique (particularly Human Equation).
 aerobear79
Msg: 16
most unique bands/artist
Posted: 9/14/2008 6:40:24 PM
Reckless Kelly. Listen to the Wicked Twisted Road album and you'll understand. I listen to this album again and again. During fall, it seems to fit the season just right.
 Ready4SomethingFun
Msg: 17
view profile
History
most unique bands/artist
Posted: 9/14/2008 6:49:51 PM
For a girl group the most unique: the Shaggs, no one can touch 'em! As far as talent, well, that is debatable.

Here's some others: Life Sex & Death, Primus, Captain Beefheart & the Magic Band, Devo, Butthole Surfers, New York Dolls, Albert Ayler, Wall of Voodoo, Helios Creed,
Syd Barrett (with and without that band he started), Laurie Anderson (at least at the beginning), Dead Kennedys, Wesley Willis (until his death he basically recorded the same song over about 27 albums), Daniel Johnston, the Reverend Fred Lane (and his backup band Ron Pate & the Debonairs), Wild Man Fischer, Screamin' Jay Hawkins, T Model Ford......I could go on for days probably.
 Tiffa_xx
Msg: 18
most unique bands/artist
Posted: 9/16/2008 12:11:20 AM
i'd agree with the blood brothers...there pretty
out of the ordinary.
 Its_just_Geoff
Msg: 19
most unique bands/artist
Posted: 9/16/2008 4:01:08 AM
Husker Du. I'm sure there's lots of imitators/duplicators since then, but they were highly original for their time. Arguably alot of screamo and such could be traced back to them.

Bad Brains. One of the seminal hardcore punk acts. Combining reggae with insanely intense hardcore was just an eye opening experience for me anyway.

Minutemen. Nobody, but nobody has sounded like them before or since (well fIREHOSE came sort of close, but they were 2/3 the same band). How do you even describe them?

Gillian Welch. Just one of the most beautiful and creative voices out there.

Medeski Martin and Wood. Out there. Very fun original groove jazz.

Blue Man Group. Especially their early stuff. Very original.

Dread Zeppelin. Seriously. Mix Led Zep covers with reggae done by an Elvis impersonator. The 1st album & maybe the 2nd especially.

I guess that's enough for now.
 Raveninns
Msg: 20
view profile
History
most unique bands/artist
Posted: 9/16/2008 6:04:35 AM
Of course, I believe that Jimi was unique, sigh.

And Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention were pretty out there at the time.

But no-one has mentioned Yes. They were definitely unique.

Cheers, Raven
 Mr Marcus
Msg: 21
view profile
History
most unique bands/artist
Posted: 9/16/2008 8:52:40 AM
Although he's tamed down quite a bit in recent years, Prince was quite "out there" for most of his career.
 S.*
Msg: 22
view profile
History
most unique bands/artist
Posted: 9/18/2008 7:30:00 PM
How about Battles or The Mars Volta
 Red_Sonja
Msg: 23
most unique bands/artist
Posted: 9/19/2008 3:28:37 AM
Band of Horses

Sometimes it's all in the lead singer...
 char12ger3
Msg: 24
most unique bands/artist
Posted: 9/19/2008 7:51:42 AM
I would have to say Stevie Ray Vaughn...not many try to copy him because he was too good of a guitar player...he was definitely unlike any other!!!!
 toowild4u
Msg: 25
most unique bands/artist
Posted: 9/19/2008 8:22:22 AM
Not exactly sure I understand the premise of this post, with regards to unique image or unique sound, or both? Bands like KISS, GWAR, Marilyn Manson & David Bowie/Ziggy Stardust just to name a few- all have great original unique visual appeal, very image-concious, but in some cases, the music wasn't exactly there to back up the visual appeal of some of these bands. Some bands sound much better than their visual images projected, but as some of the above mentioned bands, it was a perfect mix of unique visuals & music.

If you go back and check out Leslie West/Mountain footage from the late 60s/early 70s, Mountain was nothing to look at, but what an incredible sounding band! You couldn't compare Leslie Wests' playing with anyone else!

But, some bands & singers get by with unique looks because frankly, they don't have the music to back it up. Sometimes it's the other way around, the music shines and the looks are ridiculous or bland!

Before Elvis & Little Richard, I don't think much emphasis was put on looks or fashion, since most of those 40s & 50s acts were mostly shown wearing traditional suits. Thank God for Elton John and his Donald Duck suit & his oversized sunglasses!

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > most unique bands/artist