Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > wicked meals from the garden anyone..      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Refinedsillyguy
Msg: 1
wicked meals from the garden anyone..Page 1 of 1    
I'm just curious if anyone got any good ideas, for meals that can be completely grown out of the garden, aside from meat. Which can always be added ontop.

thinking back to days when majority of the family food was grown, fished or hunted.

Looking for modern meal ideas, that can be made old school..
 ImAHotMess
Msg: 2
wicked meals from the garden anyone..
Posted: 9/12/2008 6:14:08 AM
Well, I may bore you, but this is what I have made from my own garden when I had one, and what I make now with the same fresh ingrediants I get at the farmer's market: field greens, red onions, diced up eggplant, zuchinni, tomatoes,& mushrooms. I add cheese (goat and blue) some pine nuts, and about 6 oz of a bloody rare filet or med rare hunk of salmon. Add Rosemary oil with a splash of balsalmic vinegar, salt and pepper. Very healthy, low carb and filling.
 Miss W
Msg: 3
Posted: 9/12/2008 10:11:44 AM

Well, I may bore you, but this is what I have made from my own garden when I had one, and what I make now with the same fresh ingrediants I get at the farmer's market: field greens, red onions, diced up eggplant, zuchinni, tomatoes,& mushrooms. I add cheese (goat and blue) some pine nuts, and about 6 oz of a bloody rare filet or med rare hunk of salmon. Add Rosemary oil with a splash of balsalmic vinegar, salt and pepper. Very healthy, low carb and filling.

This sounds fabulous and is making me crave ratatouille, which I haven't made in ages. I highly recommend it.

Methinks its time for a trip to the farmer's market as the only edibles that I have in my yard right now are herbs. Maybe next year.
 Refinedsillyguy
Msg: 4
Posted: 9/13/2008 5:08:40 PM
Wow bore me no.. that sounds soo good. Myizthera cheese would be great crumbled on top. Or even feta...
Have to try that one out for sure..
Well I don't have my own garden..But my mom has a decent sized garden, Gonna plant some potatoes next year..
Didnt plant much this year. Everyone was way too busy with the cabin..
Our apple tree at the cabin might start sprouting apples next year..
Hope that works out..
 pupdaddy12003
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 9/14/2008 10:21:05 AM
...I'm going to plant me some potatoes next year too..but I'm going to have some fun with them. I have a 55 gallon plastic barrel that I'm going to put some compost in...and then plant potatoes in the bottom...as they grow toward the top..I'll just keep adding compost till it gets all the way to the top....When it's time for harvest..I'll just tip it into whatever place I want to fertilize most in the garden...and gather my bounty.

..as far as other meals from the garden..geez..you don't need much space to get a few heads of looseleaf or bunch leaf lettuce going..you can grow them all year if you've got a cold frame in a protected spot....and wilting that lettuce with a little bacon fat and vinegar is great. Zuchini's are always overgrowing people's gardens ..so you should be able to collect a few of them for frying...or baking breads with. Cabbage..is always handy to have for some slaw..or just steamed and buttered....And maybe if you're lucky enough to own a crock...you can make some saurkraut in it.
 Refinedsillyguy
Msg: 6
Posted: 9/14/2008 10:27:51 AM
Wouldnt growing potatoes in there, cause taste change..?
I thought u were supposed to sprinkle completely finished fertilizer over top of your soil in the garden..
 oceaneyess
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 9/16/2008 12:26:08 AM
On the potatoe planting....I plant them in old/clean tires. Add soil,hay,compost and potatoes and stack more tires as they grow. Since it's well drained taste not affected.
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > wicked meals from the garden anyone..