Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > Is World Peace Possible?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Imported_labor
Msg: 8
Is World Peace Possible?Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)

Then you have right wing people who want to own it all...there are millions of people living under cruel dictators in 3rd world country's..
You want world peace...better to hope for free ice cream

Amazing that you can see the clear cause of conflicts but you fail to connect the dots. "Right wing people who want to own it all" are the usual suspects who bring to power the "dictators in 3rd world" countries. The suffering of the people is a direct consequence of the greed of the powerful individuals and corporations. When the government of a powerful country like ours uses its military power to help the corporations achieve their goals, then you have the biggest obstacle to world peace. Unfortunately, nowadays what we have is the nations with the biggest military power preying on those countries that can't really fight back because they don't have the military means. However, when the people of a country will not surrender to the occupying power, then, barring the use of nuclear bombs by the superior powers, the occupiers will definitely be defeated. Have you ever heard the sentence that goes: Afghanistan is Russian for Vietnam?

When I went to visit the Vietnam Memorial, even I had no relatives killed in that war, and even though I wasn't an American citizen during that conflict, I felt some of the saddest emotions ever in my life and no amount of free ice cream will be enough to make me forget that.

I remember that I was beaten up by the police in my country while protesting against the war in Vietnam. I also remember that many young people were killed here in the U.S.A. and in other countries during those years. I wonder if ever they will be honored for sacrificing their lives for a cause in which they believed.

None of them had to die!
 kabiosile
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Is World Peace Possible?
Posted: 9/14/2008 1:29:04 PM
Nothing is possible if we convince ourselves it is not.

If it is possible here and now it is possible everywhere and always. We just all have to set our minds to it and it will be.
 kabiosile
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Is World Peace Possible?
Posted: 9/14/2008 1:46:55 PM

OP, no, total peace is not possible. Even Jesus Christ told us that there will always be war and rumors of war, until the end time.

Jewish people believe because the bible speaks of it! When the true Messiah comes there will be guess what?

World Peace.

The Messiah brings an eternal peace between all nations, between all peoples, and between all people (Isaiah 2:2-4; Micah 4:1-4; Ezekiel 39:9).

http://whatjewsbelieve.org/explanation03.html
 kabiosile
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Is World Peace Possible?
Posted: 9/14/2008 3:00:54 PM
LOL yeah got to love the we are at war with terrorism bit.

War is terror.

The USA sells more weapons and trains more groups that often end up becoming "terrorists" than any other nation. Except those we are told by our leaders will be called "freedom fighters" that is until they turn on us and attack us. Ronald Reagan called the people who turned into Al Qeada "freedom fighters." Now they became part of Al Qaeda they are called are "terrorists."

The mujahideen were significantly financed and armed (and are alleged to have been trained) by the United States Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) during the Carter[3] and Reagan administrations and the governments of Saudi Arabia, the People's Republic of China, several Western European countries, Iran, and Zia-ul-Haq's military regime in Pakistan. The Pakistani Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) was the interagent used in the majority of these activities to disguise the sources of support for the resistance.

The main base station of mujahideen in Pakistan was the town Badaber, 24 km from Peshawar. Afghanistan mujahideen were trained in the Badaber base under supervision by military instructors from U.S.A., Pakistan, Republic of China and Egypt. The base served as the concentration camp for Soviet and DRA captives as well. In 1985, the uprising of captives destroyed the base, but the incident was concealed by Pakistani and Soviet governments until the dissolution of the USSR.

Ronald Reagan praised mujahideen as "freedom fighters", and three mainstream Western films, the 1987 James Bond film The Living Daylights, the 1988 action film Rambo III and the 2007 biographical movie Charlie Wilson's War, portrayed them as heroic.

The school of the Americas is another horrible case of US sponsored terror.

What is the SOA?

The School of the Americas (SOA), in 2001 renamed the “Western Hemisphere Institute for Security Cooperation,” is a combat training school for Latin American soldiers, located at Fort Benning, Georgia.

Initially established in Panama in 1946, it was kicked out of that country in 1984 under the terms of the Panama Canal Treaty. Former Panamanian President, Jorge Illueca, stated that the School of the Americas was the “biggest base for destabilization in Latin America.” The SOA, frequently dubbed the “School of Assassins,” has left a trail of blood and suffering in every country where its graduates have returned.

Over its 59 years, the SOA has trained over 60,000 Latin American soldiers in counterinsurgency techniques, sniper training, commando and psychological warfare, military intelligence and interrogation tactics. These graduates have consistently used their skills to wage a war against their own people. Among those targeted by SOA graduates are educators, union organizers, religious workers, student leaders, and others who work for the rights of the poor. Hundreds of thousands of Latin Americans have been tortured, raped, assassinated, “disappeared,” massacred, and forced into refugee by those trained at the School of Assassins.

Our government talks out of both sides of it's face on that subject.

It is OK for them to commit acts of terror at will but, anyone else who does it is Evil. Can't have it both ways to me they are ALL evil. War is terror and we do not need to be spreading it all over the world.

We have companies that are allow to operate in our borders that sell weapons to all kinds of sick groups governments etc. and even both sides of conflicts around the world we have absolutely no business being involved in at all. They will sell weapons to both sides of a conflict, then when they go to war play some faux police roll and say now now you cant do that..

Should be part of world law: No more weapon sales to countries outside of your own.

Should be illegal for these companies to sell weapons to anyone else for any reason. It Should be considered treason.

As long as people find it profitable to spread militarism all over the world. Sure world peace will not be achievable.

Jails, military, etc should all be non-profit to help prevent corrupt behavior. Dont make war profitable and much of what we are seeing today will go the way of the dinosaurs. Sure there will be a conflict here and there but, if all the nations of the world passed a law that making profits off of war is a war crime and a punishable offense I bet we would have a whole lot less war.
 kabiosile
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Is World Peace Possible?
Posted: 9/14/2008 7:03:09 PM
I do not condone violence from anyones part. It is counter productive.

I would gladly love to see a war on terror that ends the terror of war. This cannot be achieved with violence. Well it would be possible but I doubt anyone will be left alive afterwards to enjoy it.

Violence breeds more violence. It is a Change of heart that always brings peace.

"War has been avoided from a due sense of the miseries, and the demoralization it produces, and of the superior blessings of a state of peace and friendship with all mankind."

"Peace is our most important interest, and a recovery from debt."

"Peace, commerce, and honest friendship with all nations – entangling alliances with none."

"I pray for peace, as best for all the world, best for us, and best for me, who have already lived to see three wars, and now pant for nothing more than to be permitted to depart in peace."

"Twenty years of peace, and the prosperity so visibly flowing from it, have but strengthened our attachment to it, and the blessings it brings, and we do not despair of being always a peaceable nation."~ Thomas Jefferson

"The principles of Jefferson are the axioms of a free society." ~ Abraham Lincoln

Who ever our next president is:

<div class='quote'>

"Peace is our most important interest, and a recovery from debt."

This sums up what he better make his job all about.

SteelCity1981
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Is World Peace Possible?
Posted: 9/15/2008 2:20:24 AM
Never. Aslong as man has a free will it will never happen. You will always have people make the wrong choices for whatever the reason. So no, never going to happen.
 itechman63
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Is World Peace Possible?
Posted: 9/15/2008 6:47:04 AM
Even if impossible, noble dreams are still a good thing to value.
 cncgandolf
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Is World Peace Possible?
Posted: 9/15/2008 12:04:54 PM
"An eye for an eye, makes everyone blind..."

Peace vs aggression are a continuum. It isn't black or white. It isn't world peace or world war. Even calling WWI and WWII to be "world" wars was rather egotistical given that portions of the world weren't fighting in it.

Can we continually work to achieve and move toward peace.... to plant peace ... to nurture peace. You betcha.

There is a movement for a Department of Peace. We have a Department of War .... we don't have as much drive for peace. If we take actions to resolve conflicts and nurture peace than we will fester less war.
 cncgandolf
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Is World Peace Possible?
Posted: 9/15/2008 4:49:33 PM
"With more and unstable states acquiring nuclear weapons, sooner or later one of them is going to use one."

Tom Lehr satyrized that eventuality back in the late '60's in "That Was The Week That Was"

First we got the bomb and that was good, cause we love peace and brotherhood
Then Russia got the bomb but that's okay cause the balance of power's maintained that way ...

Whose Next ?

Egypt's gonna get one too, just to use on you know who
So, Israel's getting tense, wants one in self defense
The Lord's our shephard says the psalms, but just in case, we're goona get the bomb

Whose Next?

I'm at greatter risk of a metrolink driver texting into an accident then a bomb drop.

I'd rather work on peace ... work not rosy glasses ... instead of being a fear whimp.
 zabet
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Is World Peace Possible?
Posted: 9/17/2008 2:56:17 PM
We can communicate with almost anyone almost anywhere in real time, and the computer will even translate, so differences in language are no longer an obstacle to negotiation. We have the resources and the technology to alleviate suffering- famine, epidemics- disaster- in any part of the world. And we have weapons capable of wiping out all life on earth.

It is time to put an end to war, time to grow up as a species.
 zabet
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Is World Peace Possible?
Posted: 9/17/2008 3:33:59 PM
Gee Lilly, I'm sorry that's been your experience of living with other people! I've often wondered how much of what we consider to be "human nature" is actually learned behavior. We live in a culture that values competition (just look at how much time and energy and money we devote to competitive sports, for instance), and that values materialism. We want to win at our sports and have more toys than others. We are taught to look for the differences between people rather than the similarities.

A book you might find interesting: Cultures of Peace: The Hidden Side of History, by Elise Boulding.

Peace
 zabet
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Is World Peace Possible?
Posted: 9/17/2008 4:43:48 PM
Sorry, I had no intention to offend you. You said that two people couldn't live under one roof and I assumed you spoke from experience.
 cncgandolf
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Is World Peace Possible?
Posted: 9/17/2008 4:49:49 PM
"the ancients where a horrible lot to each other, and nature is shite, it's a continuous struggle and fighting for survival..."

There are cultures today that are ancient cultures and they are cultures that have lived in peace all along. there are some studies in anthropology that theorize that prior to the Adam/Eve story there were peaceful matriarchis.

Peace is possible. It isn't easy and it might take a long time to slowly change generations into peaceful generations ... but it has been done and can be done.
 Imported_labor
Msg: 32
Is World Peace Possible?
Posted: 9/18/2008 5:21:55 AM

Humans want conflict, humans need conflict

That is not an eternal, universal truth. The reverse could also be said: Humans want peace, humans need peace. And you could come and poke a few holes into it and try to sink it into the trash pile of not-useful ideas, but that would not make the opposite: Humans want conflict, humans need conflict the only valid idea when dealing with the reality of human history.

In my view, that idea that conflict is the only truth in the human experience seems to be a remnant of cultures built upon the belief that they could dominate the world by force, empires that have gone down by the wayside by their failure to realize that force and conflict are not enough to hold together their imperial designs. No matter how much they preach to the world their supposedly superior civilization, or their belief that they are the # 1 power in the world (remember the line that went "second to none",) other people don't necessarily agree with them. All that they have left are some silly ideas that aren't helpful to them any more, however they cling to them refusing to realize that they will never be able to control other countries ever again. Now, what I am saying here doesn't mean that all the people in those countries believe in the same ideas. Many have accepted their reality and have tried or are trying to work towards the elimination of war and conflicts.
 Imported_labor
Msg: 33
Is World Peace Possible?
Posted: 9/18/2008 5:51:50 AM

THE QUESTION IS....................

Is World Peace Possible?

THE ANSWER, HOWEVER YOU DRESS IT UP, IS NO!

WHY IS THIS THREAD CONTINUING?

HISTORY HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IT.

EVEN PLAYING WITH DNA WILL NOT ALTER THIS.

please stop taking about "world leaders" there are none

You haven't made your case, and screaming doesn't make you right. Human behavior is not defined absolutely by the actions of a few, even more than a few, at a specific period in history in a specific country. Just because you want to believe that the individual human being can't live without having conflict with others, that doesn't mean that he/she is always warrying with others. The human being can be selfish or generous, hateful or loving, and so on, and the same individual can be both, displaying the opposite traits at different times or in their relation with different people.
 zabet
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Is World Peace Possible?
Posted: 9/18/2008 6:04:00 AM
As a parent, grandparent, teacher, and human being I hope that future generations will live free of the scourges of war. I believe that peace is possible and desirable. I will continue to look for the good in people, and for the commonalities rather than the differences.
 zabet
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Is World Peace Possible?
Posted: 9/18/2008 6:49:01 AM
Dear John, I hope that you and yours never have to live through war.
 cncgandolf
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Is World Peace Possible?
Posted: 9/18/2008 8:27:26 AM
"Just because you want to believe that the individual human being can't live without having conflict with others, that doesn't mean that he/she is always warrying with others. The human being can be selfish or generous, hateful or loving, and so on, and the same individual can be both, displaying the opposite traits at different times or in their relation with different people."

Not all conflict leads to war and not all conflict is unhealthy. Healthy conflict is when two people have two conflicting ideas and they are able to discuss them and reach a mutually agreeable condition ... which might even be to agree to disagree. In business this kind of conflict is encouraged at the beginning of a project as the more conflicting ideas of what and how to do things come up the greater the chance for innovative ideas. So long as the focus is on creative ideas for the tasks, the conflict is healthy.

Unhealthy conflict occurs when the focus on the issue is dropped and the conflict becomes personal attacks. Name calling and negative judgements of the person. If we pay more attention to the person who is feeling emotionally hurt and move back from unhealthy conflict to healthy conflict and healing of emotional reactions, then we have chances for those hurt feelings not escalating into physical violance.

Peace vs war are not black and white; either / or ; conditions. We are either moving towards more and more peace or towards more and more war. I think we can move towards more and more peace if we will go to the very root of the problems we face and the root of the conflicts.
 Imported_labor
Msg: 38
Is World Peace Possible?
Posted: 9/18/2008 10:02:03 AM

Peace vs war are not black and white; either / or ; conditions. We are either moving towards more and more peace or towards more and more war. I think we can move towards more and more peace if we will go to the very root of the problems we face and the root of the conflicts

Agree. No matter how much shouting one does, if the ideas aren't based on reason and knowledge, then it is all the desire to demonstrate that one has a bigger ego, or a bigger weapon. The human being has an ego, but it also has the ability to reason, which makes him/her different from other animals. If one believes that we are all still living in the age where the law of the jungle is the only universal truth, and that we are supposed to impose our power to others because we are king and they are not, then you can go ahead, march happily into other people's land, and don't be surprised if in one of those ocassions the spear of the natives defending their land finds your heart.
 kabiosile
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Is World Peace Possible?
Posted: 9/5/2009 10:57:47 AM

There's a lot of tree huggers I have met who follow "the old religions" but they forget, the old pagan religions had their gods of war, and some glorified it?

Me thinks you misunderstand the ancients and the Gods of war. They kept the god of war fed with sacrifice so that he would not have to be fed with the blood of those in war. Thus keeping the god of war busy making GOOD things for society made out of iron like plows instead of swords.

The machine of war can be turned into a machine of peace instead. Instead of bringing misery it can bring peace and stop misery. Turn the armed forces into units that stop poverty. Build wells, bridges, roads, hospitals, help rescue people from storms, etc.

There is so much suffering in the world to combat. We should change from carrying the weapons of war to kill each other and take up a new way. The Gods of war will just as happily beat those swords into plows. If you look the Gods of War were most often the blacksmiths.

The same goes with today if we discontinue making weapons of war and begin to make things that relieve misery instead. We can be heading closer to peace.
 Ready4SomethingFun
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Is World Peace Possible?
Posted: 9/5/2009 8:55:06 PM
World peace wouldn't be too hard, just wage war and kill everybody who is against it.
 Imported_labor
Msg: 44
Is World Peace Possible?
Posted: 9/7/2009 2:35:48 PM

World peace wouldn't be too hard, just wage war and kill everybody who is against it.

I know you tried, but that line is definitely not funny. It sounds very extreme, and knowing that it came from the same mind that is proposing to solve all the problems in our economy by deporting all the "illegal aliens," by all means necessary, just makes me yawn. Sorry!
 Ready4SomethingFun
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Is World Peace Possible?
Posted: 9/7/2009 3:00:37 PM
Oh, jeez, buy a sense of humor.

Or some no-doze.
 Outdoor2
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Is World Peace Possible?
Posted: 9/9/2009 11:03:34 PM
Rational arguing is a great thing! It's when people stop listening that causes the problem.

Isit possible?

Sure it is...second we'd have to get rid of the military industrial complex AND corporate lobbyists. Then move on to the religious extremists of all stripes.

First we have to stop looking outward and instead look inward.

"Do unto others..."....it can't get much simpler than that.
 kabiosile
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Is World Peace Possible?
Posted: 9/11/2009 9:55:13 AM

All of the worlds religions might be right about one thing though... ARMAGGEDON... because they're doing their best to make sure it happens.

Well they are likely starting to feel like they have to make one of their prophecies have any shred of truth in them. They need an I told you so moment since those pesky "heretic" scientists like Galileo disagreed with them and told the people that, the earth actually revolves around the sun not the other way around. Science has slowly been teaching the religious people that mankind is not the center of the universe and that will not bode to well for the religious cults, since they chose foolishly to dig their heels in and try to claim some dominion over the truth..

Did ya know it was not until the 1990s that the catholic church finally conceded that Galileo was right all along that the sun does not revolve around the earth as the church claimed for centuries! OH BTW Galileo is still considered a heretic though for going against the church. Even though they have been proven to be liars. To be a "good Christian" he would have had to keep his mouth shut and not ruin it for the church. They have to seem like they have all the answers but, are secretly not telling anyone so they can have some "mystery" that can somehow only be obtained through letting them tinker with your mind.

Since he went and enlightened the people with truth he is of course considered another filthy heathen and today the Christians would as you said, call him a communist too.

I am pretty sure history will look on these modern "right wing christian" folks as being just as nutty as the people whom thought the world was flat, or that you can throw a woman in water and if she swims to see if she is a witch so, they can officially under church rules burn her at the stake, or that the sun revolved around the earth, or any other of this drivel people expect others to believe or die a "heretic" over.

The freeing of the mind of mankind is the first step to peace. You are correct that we have to stop the separations and systematic dehumanization of people based on whatever implied differences. It has been genetically proven that all man kind come from Africa originally and that we are all related to the same small group of ancestors there. ie we are all distant relatives. Our misconceptions about race are all misunderstandings of biology and adaptation to a certain environment that our ancestors may have lived in for over 100,000 years or so.

What is needed is for people to start breaking out of their rat hole mentality where they are forced into some sort of pseudo-psychic mind, created to pigeonhole thought and destroy any chance at people discovering the truth and setting themselves free.

The funny part is that, personal truth seeking, and personal spirituality, is making a comeback, the hold of organized religions is waning.

I was listening to a extremely right wing christian show one time and they were fear mongering and airing their talking points, about this subject from their point of view. They were of course warning people not to go to university (fearing they might get an education and think their way out), commanding that the good christian people multiply out of control so they can "overpopulate and push out the heathens of other religions, and the atheists out with their sheer numbers."

Well of course I had to call in and rain on their parade. I told them it does not matter how much you overpopulate. Your children will turn on you, just as many of the so called heathens you speak of whom converted to other religions did, or became the atheists you claim to hate.

Those are your children, brothers and sisters, fathers and mothers, aunts and uncles. They have a message for you. They are fed up with the lies, the bloodshed, the scandal after scandal, and more importantly the total obstacle of progress of any kind either be it spiritual or other that the church often pose as an obstacle to.... What would Jesus have to say about this? hmmm Of course they hung up on me and tried to carry on without addressing any of that....

Every time science comes out with a theory and begins to prove it which, subsequently in the view of many of these christian ministers, somehow magically disproves the myths in the bible, which any sane person would not even be bothered with trying to prove religious myths, yet they still wish to rail against science as being atheist and evil and that this is somehow, supposed to disprove what we learn and can in many cases observe and prove on our own. The churches are of course again, sowing the seeds for their own demise with this approach. To me science and religion serve two VERY different purposes but, I guess no one learned a thing from Galileo. Heretic indeed!

This is what happens when we allow the church to pose as scientists. Real science holds nothing so sacred so as to not question even it's existence or the edicts of the church of men. That would not be a problem to people not hell bent on taking over the minds of the world.

God forbid someone tell the truth and call the church out as liars or at worst idiots whom dont know their rear from a hole in the ground while the put on the act like they alone have all the answers.

I would rather praise Galileo than the pope at least Galileo told the truth. Heretic indeed. It was the pope whom was a heretic to the truth.

They should start a state of the "holy grail" for all the right wing christians, so they can move there right next door to Israel and Palestine. No one else would ever want to visit such a god forsaken place again. They can make one myth in their books true blow each other up in a great rapture, and die happy feeling like they believed in something that mattered. The rest of us can shake our heads and continue with life in peace and not get involved in their nonsense..

One thing to always remember is the common people of all nations want peace. While their rulers always dream up ways to send their young men and women off to die, in their pinky and the brain dreams to take over the world.

I'm fed up to the ears with old men dreaming up wars for young men to die in. - George McGovern

That was a man whom should have been president of this nation.

The bottom line is as the above poster pointed out, world peace can come but, there will need to be a serious freeing of the minds, from the institutions whom profit off of suffering and bloodshed. Namely the church and the military industrial complex.

As long as war is permitted to be profitable, and the church can find easier ways to get people to flock to them through the suffering. It will continue.

When man rejects the nonsense and takes up freeing of the mind, and makes war no longer profitable. There will be no one whom wishes to sacrifice their children to the war machine then. Right now people are easily snowed into thinking it is a noble thing to do, to send your young children off to become killers and kill the children of others in distant lands.. When the people of the world wake up, and think logically for a moment we might have a leap in consciousness that is required.
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > Is World Peace Possible?