Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Potatoe Salad      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 CDJ520
Msg: 1
Potatoe SaladPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
This is an easy to do good potatoe salad. NOT the healthiest choice but DELICIOUS!!

2 Pounds Clean scrubbed new red potatoes
6 eggs
1 pound bacon
1 onion, finely chopped
1 stalk celery, finely chopped
2 cups mayo (real Mayo)
salt and pepper to taste

cut potatoes into quarters, boil potatoes until slightly soft. If it's too soft it will be too mushy!

Boil Eggs, peel

add all the stuff together mixing well into a large bowl and then refridgerate and serve
 Enigmatic_Muse
Msg: 2
Potatoe Salad
Posted: 9/15/2008 12:53:44 PM
Sounds just like my recipe! Here in the land of Miracle Whip I can only eat salads if I make them. Just a tip...salt and pepper the potatoes before you mix all the stuff together.
 DivaM
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Potatoe Salad
Posted: 9/15/2008 2:52:24 PM
Bacon in potato salad? Never heard of that addition. Can only assume you need to fry it first and drain. MIRACLE WHIP here and maybe make some old-fashion salad dressing to add to the WHIP . No eggs for me though in my potato salad. NOT, NEVER, NA NA!!
 pupdaddy12003
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Potatoe Salad
Posted: 9/15/2008 3:03:28 PM
..Bacon is used in most "German" potato salads...most of them are served warm and have a rather piquant? dressing with some kind of vinegar. I kind of like both Miracle Whip and Mayonaise in my "chilled" potato salad with a couple spoonfuls of French's mustard to give it a little color. We've always put a few hard boiled eggs in potato salad..so I think I'd miss it if it wasn't there. A sprinkle of dried dill adds to the flavor if you want to get a little different taste....and maybe a sprinkle of paprika on the top for a garnish.
 wavespin
Msg: 5
Potatoe Salad
Posted: 9/15/2008 3:43:54 PM
heck yeh, I put in anything crunchy I can find..such as celery, radish, dill pickle, onion etc...i do the mustard thing too
 Briett
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Potatoe Salad
Posted: 9/15/2008 5:20:12 PM
Someone mentioned German Potato Salad......my mother was German and I lived there for 9 years...so here is my mothers recipe

Boil 2 lbs whole potatoes until done
peel a cucumber and slice very thin
dice and cook a lb of bacon (crisp)
dice a small onion

when potatoes are done peel and slice very thin while still hot (watch the fingers) use a fork to hold the potato while peeling
mix in cucumber, onion bacon and half of the bacon grease, add white vinegar, hot water , a small amount of vegetable oil, 2 tablespoons of sugar, salt and pepper to taste. serve warm...this is sooo yummy with meatloaf or baked fish. You can also add some chopped endive if you like.
 oceaneyess
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Potatoe Salad
Posted: 9/15/2008 11:26:27 PM
I love making the traditional tater salad. A nice variation is to add a light amount of fresh dill to it.
 superdrew
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Potato Salad
Posted: 9/15/2008 11:56:36 PM
Try to leave the 'e' out so it doesn't look like there are toes in it.
 Dumpling-Girl
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Potato Salad
Posted: 9/16/2008 1:38:15 AM
I prefer the texture of potatoes that are boiled whole and then cut. It takes a bit longer, but not water-logging them seems to make a difference. I always keep the skin on, but you could always slide off the skin after boiling if you like.

Sounds good though, with the bacon. In my potato salad, I usually have more of an acid component too (like the tang from Miracle Whip instead of mayo, or a little chopped pickle or capers).
 sandikoff77
Msg: 10
Potato Salad
Posted: 9/16/2008 4:10:37 AM
i ALWAYS PUT BACON OR HAM IN MY POTATO SALAD...KILLER, ESPECIALLY bACON, HAM ok,

Oops Sorry really wasn't hollering...

And I always boil the potatoes in their jacket, they really seem to taste better to me...

And I am a damn good cook, ask anybody, lol
 Hawaiianluau
Msg: 11
Potato Salad
Posted: 9/16/2008 12:08:01 PM
I've tried 'em all and will always and forever be a Best Foods man.
 cannerguy
Msg: 12
Potatoe Salad
Posted: 9/16/2008 6:50:10 PM
I like to add horseradish and dill...along with the bacon...lol
 rjjensenia
Msg: 13
Potatoe Salad
Posted: 9/16/2008 6:56:52 PM
You spell potato(e) the same way Vice President Dan Quayle spells the word.
 gudnplenty
Msg: 14
Potatoe Salad
Posted: 9/16/2008 7:02:54 PM
Here is a very easy german potato salad from where I grew up (tad healthier then the bacon grease ).

2 lbs potatoes, boil until soft when pricked with a pointy knife, peel while hot, slice thinly
1 onion finely chopped
salt, pepper to taste
2-3 tablespoons of hot beef broth (can be made from boullion cubes)
pour over potatoes, mix the potatoes just a few times
3 table spoons of cider or wine vinegar
3 table spoons of vegetable oil

turn into the potatoes to mix... don't over mix though, the potatoes will turn to mush
if salad is too dry add more beef broth
viola done, real german potatoe salad, serve warm

at times I do put thinly sliced cucumber over the top right before I server to keep them crunchy, chives or even a bit of chopped parsley also tastes good.
 supersnuggle
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Potatoe Salad
Posted: 9/16/2008 7:04:42 PM

2 Pounds Clean scrubbed new red potatoes
6 eggs
1 pound bacon
1 onion, finely chopped
1 stalk celery, finely chopped
2 cups mayo (real Mayo)
salt and pepper to taste

Through out the celery, and replace with sweet pickle, and cut the amount of mayo in half(or even less), and you will have a pretty good potato salad. Much more healthy with way less mayo. If it is too dry with less mayo, add some sour cream.
 flyonthewall!
Msg: 16
Potatoe Salad
Posted: 9/16/2008 7:16:40 PM
Oops, thought this was going to be about Dan Quayle.

Tiptoeing out . . .
 Snakewhisperer
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Potatoe Salad
Posted: 9/16/2008 7:28:50 PM
You read my mind, flyonthewall. For a second I thought Dan Quayle was on POF!
 AchyJake
Msg: 18
Potatoe Salad
Posted: 9/16/2008 7:45:21 PM
The best potato salad I ever had . . .

Was one with apples in it ! ! !

But I never tried one with bacon or ham ! ! !
 adf67
Msg: 19
Potatoe Salad
Posted: 9/16/2008 7:55:28 PM
for onion i use the green stalk (chive) onion and instead of bacon i add tomatoes, very yummy. tell this u well love it.
 harry294
Msg: 20
Potatoe Salad
Posted: 9/17/2008 4:47:06 PM
i boil my potatoes in chicken broth ( instead of water ) and mash them using the butter, use chicken broth to (instead of myo ) to mash to your desired thickness and add ,onions ,celery ,dill pickels ,eggs , it taste realy good when warm,salt ,pepper to taste
 WantaSmart1
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Potato-Macaroni Salad
Posted: 9/18/2008 12:52:37 AM
I like my Potato-Macaroni Salad. I only make this for VERY special people...
Usually at Thanksgiving. No real recipe - I just "make it".

6 medium or 4 large potatoes (cooked in skins, skinned and cubed after cooled in fridge - can you cook a potato to "al dente"?)
1/2 to 1 small package of salad macaroni, cooked and cooled in fridge. The volume of macaroni should be about the same as potatoes.
1/2 small sweet onion, minced (prefer Maui onion, otherwise some other Vidalia variety)
1/2 package of frozen baby peas, cooked and cooled in fridge
4 hard boiled eggs, 3 chopped, 1 sliced for garnish on top of the served salad. Feel free to omit yolks.
2-3 large stalks of celery, cut into 1/4 inch cubes more or less
1 can of chunk light tuna, drained well and flaked
small (4-ounce?) can of sliced olives, well-drained, dry. "Rattle" them around on a couple of paper towels if needed.
Sweet pickle relish to taste - Start with a scant 1/4 cup.
A tablespoon or so of prepared mustard - if you can definitely taste it, you've used too much. If you're not quite sure what that flavor is, it's probably just right.
Salt and black pepper to taste

Mix all the ingredients together thoroughly before starting to add mayo.

Best Foods Mayo (must be a Hawaiian thing) - I only add as much mayo as needed to bind everything - not sloshing around in it. This usually involves 1/2 quart of mayo, which isn't that much considering all the other stuff involved - this is easily enough to feed 3 people over 4 meals.

Once thoroughly mixed, chill this thoroughly (4-6 hours) before serving - overnight is best, as the flavors bid nicely. Probably makes close to a gallon of salad.

Don't be afraid to get your turkey gravy and cranberry sauce on this before eating. Killer-Yum!
 Tashtiest
Msg: 22
Potato-Macaroni Salad
Posted: 9/18/2008 1:19:30 AM
im confused... when does the macaroni go in? lol

came in to read up the unusual éxtra and it seems it's missing hmmm...
 daddysgirl99
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Potatoe Salad
Posted: 9/18/2008 1:39:38 AM
My recipe is

5 lbs of potatoes boiled in skin. Always boil in skin. Then put in refrigerator til cold.
2 to 3 stalks of celery diced small
1/2 green pepper diced small
1/2 onion diced small
4 hard boiled eggs put in refrigerator til cold
Mayo to consistency desired but be careful. Too much mayo can ruin it.
1 to 2 teaspoons of mustard but too much
1 to 3 teaspoons of sugar
Salt and pepper to taste...Be careful ..not too much of either

Peel and dice cold potatoes. Add celery, green pepper, onion. Peel and dice hard boiled eggs and add to potatoes. Mix mayo with mustard , sugar , salt and pepper. Add to potato mixture and mix until blended. Top with paprika for color and additional sliced hard boiled eggs.

I always, always get compliments on my potato salad.
 WantaSmart1
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Potato-Macaroni Salad
Posted: 9/18/2008 2:04:31 AM

im confused... when does the macaroni go in? lol

It's item number 2 on the list and goes in with all the other ingredients before adding the mayo. :)
 Tashtiest
Msg: 25
Potato-Macaroni Salad
Posted: 9/18/2008 2:32:32 AM
doh... cheers..

its true, lack of sex does make you go blind..
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Potatoe Salad