Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > Who got one of the "Obsession" DVD's in their Sunday Paper?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Kiss_My_Karma~
Msg: 1
Who got one of the "Obsession" DVD's in their Sunday Paper?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I wonder if people have heard about this. I got, in the Sunday paper, an hour long DVD entitled Obsession-Radical Islams's War Against the West. It boasts that it is a film about "the radical thread of Islam to Western Civilization. Using unique footage from Arab television, it reveals an 'insider's view' of the hatred the Radicals are teaching, their incitement of global jihad, and their goal of world domination. The film also traces between the parallels between the Nazi movement of World War II, the Radicals of today, and the Western world's response to both threats".

It has a website, and appears to be put out by The Clarion Fund, based in NY. Personally, I am livid. Michigan is a swing state, and I heard on the news last night that these DVD's were distributed in all of the swing states. Of course it's got no mention of the campaign or why now was such a time to give away free hour-long DVD's, but I am planning on calling the paper and asking them why they allowed this. I think it's a disgusting ploy by the right to hand us more fear.
 flawedbutfun
Msg: 2
Who got one of the Obsession DVD's in their Sunday Paper?
Posted: 9/16/2008 3:21:53 PM
I did not receive one in my Sunday paper, but then I doubt the Ann Arbor news readers would have been their target audience. I wonder what areas of Michigan (what papers used to reach them) were targeted.
 tallskier
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 9/16/2008 3:29:23 PM

Personally, I am livid. Michigan is a swing state, and I heard on the news last night that these DVD's were distributed in all of the swing states. Of course it's got no mention of the campaign or why now was such a time to give away free hour-long DVD's, but I am planning on calling the paper and asking them why they allowed this. I think it's a disgusting ploy by the right to hand us more fear.

So newspapers, which are private enterprises, don't get to decide who they will allow to pay them to distribute something?

And a second question: Do you think Radical Islamists don't hate us?
 MacKevinized
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 9/16/2008 3:51:51 PM

So newspapers, which are private enterprises, don't get to decide who they will allow to pay them to distribute something?

The paper's readers can boycott the paper's major advertisers to hurt their ability to pay for such trash.

Radical islamists, timothy mcveigh, starving north koreans, the russians, they all have good reason to hate us as we are showing them how narcissistic of a country we've become.

My copy hit the trash can asap. I read the list of papers it was sent to and knew it was geared for stupid audiences.
 es138
Msg: 5
Posted: 9/16/2008 4:08:00 PM

The case can be made that Islamic Extremists do hate us- but the solution to that can be realized by determining why they hate us.

Nonetheless when a private enterprise starts dumping caustic elements into isolated locations (to gain revenue), they get burned for it.
Geographic location is not grounds to make people fell threatened.
Injecting the swing states with fear is wrong.
 Kiss_My_Karma~
Msg: 6
Posted: 9/16/2008 5:36:12 PM

I wonder what areas of Michigan (what papers used to reach them) were targeted.

This was the Grand Rapids Press. There was not one in the Detroit Free Press, and there was not one in the Muskegon Chronicle. (I'm a coupon clipper so I get all of these and sometimes the Trib too).
 thatswhatshesaid
Msg: 7
Posted: 9/16/2008 5:53:02 PM
Raider fan,

You should call them and cancel your subscription.

<div class='quote'> Actually when you think about it, this tactic has been used a lot. It used to be the communists, now it's the Radical Muslims.

And yeah, they still try to fan the flames with cold-war Russia stereotypes. Too bad Russia's a democracy AND wildly capitolist now, so there's little excuse for them fanning the flames and financing their little Georgia squirmish other than they want an economically strategic outpost. That's all and that's all any of it ever was.

No communists in Russia.
They go to church.
They are capitalists.

So what's next? We can just invade British Columbia to put on a little room addition if we like?
 Simlasa
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 9/16/2008 6:06:48 PM
We got one in our newspaper this weekend... I've kept it to the side... I might try watching it late some night... just so I can argue about it with my fundy friends.
 Kiss_My_Karma~
Msg: 9
Posted: 9/16/2008 6:31:16 PM
I'm thinking of putting it in a time capsule, maybe someday it'll be worth millions. I can show my great-grandchildren the campaign follies of 2008.

Kiss_My_Karma~
Msg: 10
Posted: 9/16/2008 6:40:03 PM

So consumers have no right to question the advertising of the paper they buy?
 southernlass
Msg: 11
Posted: 9/16/2008 6:47:52 PM

Radical islamists, timothy mcveigh, starving north koreans, the russians, they all have good reason to hate us as we are showing them how narcissistic of a country we've become.

The quote above and many of the other posts on this thread seem utterly absurd to me. I mean, they are truly unbelievable! I can't believe I'm reading this garbage.

So Radical Islam isn't real? It's all just pretend, huh? There's really no terrorism or the threat of terrorism at all and it's just something staged by the Right to spread fear to all Americans, especially in the swing states, so they'll vote Republican? There was no Sept 11 attack, right?

And why, when Americans watch these DVDs, would they be influenced to vote Republican? If the DVD's were from some Republican source, as it appears is being alluded to here, is it because Americans will come to the conclusion that a Republican president will protect them better? Perhaps a Republican president will.

This thread begs the question, why aren't Democrats at all concerned and aware of the real threats of these extremist groups? Why does this thread and the majority of the posts on it blow off terrorist threats like they are nothing but a ridiculous issue to discuss, much less get a DVD of in one's mailbox? Why post that it's just the Republicans or the Right spreading their fear all around again, as if there's not a threat in sight and never has been?

This has got to be the most outlandish dung I've read on these boards yet! And believe me, I've read a lot of crap here. To even suggest that there is no real threat and that we Americans actually deserve terrorism, or that somehow with our actions, we've brought it upon ourselves, and that somehow these extremists have a right to harass and threaten us, is the most anti-American trash I've come across yet!

And people wonder why the Republicans have the motto "Country first," and appear to be the more stable, patriotic party that cares about Americans and will protect them. Man, I'm telling you, these posts aren't helping the Democrats one single bit from where I'm sitting. Keep up the good work, team Obama. You're going to lose big time in November if you keep spreading trash like this around..

Wikipedia explores the threat and there's only about a hundred or so more links you can find on the topic. Sheesh. But hell, let's just make light of it and pooh pooh the whole thing and pretend there's no terrorism. It's all just something dreamed up by the Right, who have no idea what they are talking about...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_terrorism
 thatswhatshesaid
Msg: 12
Posted: 9/16/2008 7:10:25 PM
My muslim friends always call me to wish me a merry christmas...even though I'm Jewish.

Once you're american, that's it. It's all USA and Christmas, no matter what the accident of your grandparent's birth was.
 Kiss_My_Karma~
Msg: 13
Posted: 9/16/2008 7:26:09 PM
I don't see anyone pooh poohing terrorism. I see people pooh poohing propaganda.

http://www.mcall.com/news/local/all-a1_5clarion.6587003sep13,0,1060082.story

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1036862/clarion_fund_promccain_nonprofit_group.html

Go ahead and google it yourself. There is nothing positive on the web about this site. It is propaganda...and if it weren't, why would they only choose to distribute these videos to the swing states? Go ahead and be sick if you want, SL, but as a 'former democrat and Hillary supporter', if you can't see through these games, you should see an eye doctor.
 thatswhatshesaid
Msg: 14
Posted: 9/16/2008 7:33:48 PM
It's more like, a day off work when friends call each other, that's what I meant to say about Christmas.

Now, her wedding was way way way way muslim...even though she married a catholic guy from Maryland and black at that. After all the crying and pleading of her traditional muslim parents, you know, it's america, they sucked it up.

It's a fine line preserving your culture and being part of america. I don't think people realise that muslims do make compromises, like every other religion that has wound up in the melting pot, and what they are in the end is American.
 WhosDrunk?
Msg: 15
Posted: 9/16/2008 9:52:24 PM

I read the list of papers it was sent to and knew it was geared for stupid audiences.

Are you saying thats why you recieved one?

I got one...

I also have to get my paper from the box, not delivered...

I get my paper for the coupons, sales papers, and comics along with the idiot box guide...

I may or may not watch the DVD one day...

However, I am smart enough to decide if it is b.s. or not where as you just tossed yours and then decide to comment on it...

Guess your right, it was geared for some stupid people...
 MacKevinized
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 9/17/2008 6:45:01 AM

So Radical Islam isn't real?

Just as real as gangs that kill 15,000 a year
Just as real as 13,000 drunk drivers killing citizens.
Just as real as the guy in the hoodie with a gun jacking your car.
Just as real as the biggest banks and insurance companies going bankrupt.
Just as real as hunting from a helicopter.

They are criminals, they are all real threats treat them as criminals.

Democrats at all concerned and aware of the real threats of these extremist groups?

They are concerned and aware, it's one of the few things republicans are able to express a false outrage over.

Democrats not only can see the terror problem, they also see the cause of the problem and are just as outraged about us causing the terrorists to hate us.

Democrats are also highly aware of the fear and smear tactics used to recruit members. Terrorists, a vast minority of the population, are drawn in by the rhetoric of extreme idealism and decide they should ban together and be in charge. A lot of republicans fall for the fear and smear tactics and become driven to be spokespersons for the fear and smear.
 Blacksheep
Msg: 17
Posted: 9/17/2008 6:54:56 AM
I say the solution to things which are done in the shadow of night is to bring them to the light of day. this forum is a good start but everyone who received one of these DVD's shoud make a copy and send one to your local news stations along with your views on why its being done.

if enough people from enough states simultaniously send these to their local news along with comments the major news media will pick up the story too.

Hell..... make more than one copy, send one to local news, send one to CNN, and send one to the Barack Obama campaign too along with the names of who's producing and distributing this crap and the papers that willing allowed this.

Lets get this out of the forums and make it a major news story nationwide based on the outrage of the American people who dont want fear tactics being used, and the politicizing of 9/11 and terror to scare up votes.
 tallskier
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 9/17/2008 12:45:36 PM

So consumers have no right to question the advertising of the paper they buy?

Who said that?

Next question - are you forced to buy that newspaper? Don't like the content? Don't buy it!
 Kiss_My_Karma~
Msg: 19
Posted: 9/17/2008 5:22:32 PM
When I said right, I did not necessarily mean Republicans. There are those on the right who are not repubs. And I have read and heard that this is a 'right leaning' organization. So what.
 itechman63
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 9/17/2008 6:27:36 PM
Sure there is Radical Islam. It does exist but to recognize why it exists isn't garbage. We do have to defend against what's already been created, but to continue the policies in the Middle East as we have for decades is the equivalent of just putting buckets under the leak and never fixing the leak. It's only going to take more and more buckets unless you fix the leak.

I can show you some Radical Evangelicals that are at least as scary as many Muslim Extremists.

At best it's Rightist Propaganda... it sounds as though the DVD could even be considered inciteful hate speech too. I guess Occultists could distribute Pro-Satan DVDs and these papers would agree to insert them in their publications as well?
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > Who got one of the "Obsession" DVD's in their Sunday Paper?