Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Does Anyone Else Worry About Growing Old Alone?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 es138
Msg: 2
Does Anyone Else Worry About Growing Old Alone?Page 1 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
Based on my insight into how we treat our elderly in the USA, if you live to "grow old," odds are you'll have a roommate behind a white curtain (who screams in the middle of the night because of dementia.) You’ll also have some seriously overworked staff members checking your vitals at midnight and 6-am.
 baker1972
Msg: 6
Does Anyone Else Worry About Growing Old Alone?
Posted: 9/17/2008 3:17:23 AM
I don't know that it is something i worry about but it was not something i ever considered would happen. i thought i would have been married and with kids years ago and never gave a thought to that not happening. i guess for me its an adjustment as to how i am going to live my life right now and planning for the future if i don't meet that mr. right someday. i've seen alot of unhappy couples who i think got married young because that was just the thing to do or she got pregnant and they stay together for the sake of the kids. i sure as hell don't want that! i've also seen alot of people cheat on their mates and wonder is there really anyone out there who stays faithful to their partner anymore? are you better off living your life on your own? i guess its just about meeting the right person at the right time and if it hasn't happened yet then living your life to the fullest right now, so there are no regrets later on!
 SlingDad
Msg: 7
Posted: 9/17/2008 6:11:38 AM
Nah, it's never too late to find a partner. People in their 60's & 70's date too, ya know? Just because something isn't right at this moment doesn't mean someone won't come along in due time to make you forget about all your concerns.
 Daywalker101
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 9/17/2008 7:03:17 AM
I used to, in fact it was one of the reasons I stayed married as long as I did. What a load of crap, there is no place more alone than with someone in a dead relationship. Happiness, lonliness, all of those things are internal emotions. We as a society have gotten love, sex, companionship and all those things muddled outside the normal human condition. Ultimately we are all, always alone, in this life. No one, no one can ever truely know what happens inside someone elses head. We may be with someone, we may both say we see a purple sunset, but is what they see exactly what we do? How do we really know? From the moment of birth to the moment of death we are stuck inside a sigular body. Everything else is just communication.

Seek fulfilment on your own path, embrace the joys and discomforts along the way, and enjoy the times we spend with others who cross our paths.
 Thatguy67
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 9/17/2008 7:04:01 AM
Some people gets pets. Dog, cat, snake, goldfish etc......
 Invictus01
Msg: 11
Posted: 9/17/2008 7:04:47 AM
Nope, not at all. I can entertain myself just fine!
 Woobie
Msg: 16
Posted: 9/17/2008 7:43:50 AM
Been alone for 25 years, don't know if I could live with someone now, or they with me:
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 18
Posted: 9/17/2008 8:01:35 AM
To an extent I worry about elderly care and all that, being that I didn't have kids...but that's no reason to have kids. Outside of that I don't really care. While it would be nice to have someone in my life that I really like and want to grow old with, I don't plan on just picking someone random out to date from a fear that I will grow old "alone".

That's what friends, relatives and all that are for. We're only as alone as we want to be in this life...not everything revolves around having an SO. Some of us will end up with one, some of us won't.

Heck I have been alone a long time already, why would I start worrying about it now?
 carolann0308
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 9/17/2008 9:08:00 AM
Am I afraid of growing old alone? Sure. Do I worry about it? No.
 jsphn11
Msg: 20
Posted: 9/17/2008 11:52:52 AM
Worry? Not any more. Affraid? Maybe a little. It is definitely a possibility, and it makes me sad sometimes. However, I've learned to enjoy what I have in the present, and will make the best of my life even if I am old and alone.
 briargate
Msg: 22
Posted: 9/17/2008 11:54:38 AM
I suspect that I won't make it to a feeble, old man stage and will probably get the chop somewhere in the mountains, so it's all good.
 rjc97vette
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 9/17/2008 12:10:16 PM
Yes, but then I keep meeting women who do not. Women who say very seriously that they could be content alone for the rest of their lives. Very odd to me.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 24
Posted: 9/17/2008 12:17:27 PM
^^^Not really...women are more active with cultivating relationships outside an SO/spouse than men are, and we continue to do so well into our older years, so we have more company around us even if we remain single. Not real hard to figure out.
 setuid
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 9/17/2008 12:21:44 PM
I've been alone for 37+ years, even when I was married and had a child.

I've been in and out of dozens upon dozens of relationships and I've never once had that feeling of connection with someone when you FEEL like you're PART of something, like you MEAN something to someone. I thought I found that once, but I was mistaken.

I have no doubt I'll die alone too. I don't worry about it, because I've accepted it.
 Gangster Kitten
Msg: 27
Posted: 9/17/2008 1:23:45 PM
I've always been a loner and I always have. I just naturally flock to the life of solitude. I can't say I enjoy living my life as the only entity in my every day routine (Well, besides my cat - she'd be pissed if she knew I wasn't counting her), but I can't say I haven't thought of spending the rest of my life alone.

Yes, I know, I'm only 23 years old. But in those 23 years, and compared to how much I've been exposed to people as well as my isolationist tendancies, I've met relatively few people. And I've considered the prospect of living alone the rest of my life as something I can tolerate. To be honest, if I lost my virginity and had my fair share of sex, I think I'd survive alone.
 Closing Shop
Msg: 28
Posted: 9/17/2008 2:20:27 PM
I was wondering if other people worry about growing old alone.

When I've told people I don't want kids, I've had more than a few ask me, "Aren't you worried about being alone when you're old?" My response to that mentality is that if nobody else wants to hang out with you when you're old, what makes you think your family will want to?

Since I expect the sexual urges to taper off in old age, I'm not sure that what a spouse has to offer couldn't be mostly satisfied between a good friend and a cat. Sure, it would be nice to have that spouse but I know I'll never be alone.
 DeeJizzle
Msg: 29
Posted: 9/17/2008 2:41:54 PM
BASICALLY IM GOIN TO TELL YOU THIS THE WORLD IS MOVING DAY BY DAY BECAUSE OF GRAVITY.GRAVITY CONTROLS YOU AND WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN.MEANING GRAVITY WILL PULL TO THAT PERSON JUST LIKE YOU.IM GOIN TO LEAVE IT AT THAT.THUMBS
 Capitano_Blaugh
Msg: 31
Posted: 9/17/2008 4:23:38 PM

...is it possible to find a soulmate?

Well, if soulmates existed it MAY be possible to find one, but from what I've seen from people who claim they've found theirs, there is absolutely no guarantee that they're gonna stay around till you're ready to kick the bucket.

I expect to die without a S.O. I hope my kids and some friends are around, but at the end it won't matter much anyway for me. It may be important to them, but once I'm gone it won't for me.

I just hope I go quickly. I don't want to hang around in diapers getting poked and prodded by nurses and doctors. Just lemme check out.

________
Msg: 32
Posted: 9/17/2008 4:31:31 PM
Never mind the 'alone' part -- it is the 'growing old' that is really SCARY and sucks like a ten-thousand terawatt Dirt Devil
 ________
Msg: 39
Posted: 9/17/2008 6:41:14 PM

Those who are willing to accept the incredible boredom of marriage... die together with loving arms.

Was that a vote for or against marriage...? Not much of a deal... A life-time of dull and dreary weighed against what might be construed as a possible comfort at the end of ones life.... Wouldn't it just be preferable to die in your sleep....?
 exiss
Msg: 40
Posted: 9/17/2008 6:55:18 PM
I don't worry about it, I guess i've just resigned myself to it, and i'd do ~ok~ if there weren't the miserable holidays to deal with......
 jmn120176
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 9/17/2008 7:07:31 PM
It concerns me, especially seeing that the majority of friends have married and some have children... that's what I want. The older I get, the less chance there is of that happening. And having been on this site for a while, my fears are being confirmed daily....
 El_Mariachi
Msg: 44
Posted: 9/17/2008 8:45:20 PM
Old? Sure.

Things might stop working and life could get harder.

Alone? Nah, not really. I'd like to share life with someone, certainly. But given the choice of choosing unwisely or settling... I would prefer alone. At least until I'm sure that what I want is good for me. And him.
Posted: 9/17/2008 8:58:26 PM
~OP ... No I do not worry cause this is how I feel you come in this world alone to
someone and when you leave this earth you go out of it alone to0!

If you sit and
worry about being alone then you will be alone cause your moods will reflect off
on others and they can pick up a negitive or a possitive which ever you choose to
be and I'd rather be possitive that there is someone out there for us all including
me when the time is right love will find me :)

" As to being old no I'm not old what soever , age is just a number and not me!

-Brenny-
Besides worrying gives you gray hair and ages you faster , also bad on your health
lets face it your as young as you feel!

" SO STOP WORRYING LET NATURE TAKE IT'S COURSE YOU SURELY WON'T
BE ALONE IF YOU HAVE THE RIGHT ATTIDUDE."
 seriousbutfunny
Msg: 53
Posted: 9/18/2008 6:48:59 PM
like some guys , I've been alone for almost 2 years
No worries, live life, someone is out there waiting
Some people like to be alone and as long as they don't regret when is too late then is fine.

Don't worry, you will find someone, as long as you are not too picky..

Cheers

S
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Does Anyone Else Worry About Growing Old Alone?