Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > humor  > How to catch a polar bear...      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 vivienne3
Msg: 2
view profile
History
How to catch a polar bear...Page 1 of 1    
The correct name of the peoples in the Arctic is Inuit. Maybe the guy actually was crouching behind the lichen?
 PAClassyLady
Msg: 3
How to catch a polar bear...
Posted: 9/25/2008 9:04:20 PM
This is not meant to be off-thread but explanatory.
Yes, they have bushes in the Arctic, even though neither the North Pole nor the Arctic were mentioned in the joke. My Eskimo friend (she's a Tlingit) tells me they are referred to as... wait for it... bushes.

vivienne3:

Steven A. Jacobson, a professor at the Alaska Native Language Center (of the University of Alaska at Fairbanks), told United Press International, "Yup'ik speakers say, 'We're Yup'ik Eskimos; our relatives in northern Alaska, Canada and Greenland are Inuit Eskimos; they aren't Yup'ik, and we aren't Inuit, but we're all Eskimos.' Yup'ik speakers prefer to be called 'Yup'iks' ... and -- in contrast to Inuit in Canada -- don't mind the word 'Eskimo,' but they do not like to be called 'Inuit.'"
"Eskimo" remains the only word that describes all the physically and culturally quite homogenous groups that extend from the Siberian side of the Bering Strait to Greenland. The American Heritage Dictionary sums up, "While use of these terms ('Inuit' and 'Yup'ik') is often preferable when speaking of the appropriate linguistic group, none of them can be used of the Eskimoan peoples as a whole; the only inclusive term remains Eskimo."
http://www.isteve.com/2002_Name_Game_Inuit_or_Eskimo.htm

To paraphase: I am an American. I am also a Pennsylvanian. All Pennsylvanians are American, the reverse is not true. Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Rock on.

~m
 PAClassyLady
Msg: 4
Posted: 9/26/2008 11:47:27 AM
Overanalysing a joke, hmmmm... *pulling out notepad and pen* IB, how long haf you felt zis vay about chour Mozher? Did you feel a competition vit chour Fazher? Vas dere a lot of separation anxiety ven you shtarted shchool? Chust relax und vee vill talk...
Zat vill be $100. Sank you. Vee chall see you next veek.

PAClassyLady
Msg: 5
Posted: 9/28/2008 12:32:42 AM
Everything was fine as we watched the big white bear frolicking with the smaller females at the zoo. Then that same male attempted to climb the back of another male and the ensuing bloody fight caused entire families to run shrieking in the other direction. Only then did I truly understand the insidious effects of bipolar disorder.

Rock on.

~m
 Miss49er
Msg: 6
Posted: 9/28/2008 1:48:49 PM
The correct name of the peoples in the Arctic is Inuit. Maybe the guy actually was crouching behind the lichen?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Actually, Inuit people are in Canada. In Alaska, in the Arctic part is Inupiat. Or Athabascan. Depends who you ask...

Maybe the guy is crouching down looking like part of the scenery....in his white snow suit crouching down on all fours. Or maybe he's behind a big iceberg if he's made an ice hole for the polar bear who likes pea.
Show ALL Forums  > humor  > How to catch a polar bear...