Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > New Feature: View Similar Users      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ~JustSimplyMe~
Msg: 1
view profile
History
New Feature: View Similar UsersPage 1 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
I was checking out the new link 'view similar users to:' today, and am just curious what the selection criteria is?
I notice that my bf is similar to some mods....but none of them seem similar to him.
Does it only include the users that are online now?
 Ticketoride
Msg: 2
View Similar Users
Posted: 9/28/2008 4:01:25 PM
The Link is at the Top above the User Name on Profiles.

Appears not to have any particular Algorithm, since most Users on my Page have nothing in common, be it Age, Body Type, Locations, Interests, etc.

The Link is visible if you are E-Mail Logged in, but gone when you are E-Mail Logged out.

Related Links:Admin's similar Users

These Users on this "Similar" Page so far also seem not to change at all, unlike the My Matches Page, and may still be there Days later.

For some People it appears to be local Users that have not logged in for a few Days (which only the Opposite Gender can see). Kinda like a My Matches Page for the opposite Sex of Users who haven't logged in for 24 - 72 Hours.

Related Links ยปJust follow the Money ...
Can't view your own "Similar Users to" Page
 Thatguy67
Msg: 3
view profile
History
View Similar Users
Posted: 9/28/2008 4:13:37 PM
I notice the same thing when I clicked on that new link found on a rather buxom female member's profile.

Rainsands
Msg: 4
View Similar Users
Posted: 9/28/2008 4:23:14 PM

I'm trying very hard to have a sense of humor about this... there is nothing I repeat nothing I have in common with those ladies...

Amen to that on mine too.... what a farce....
 anndramada
Msg: 5
View Similar Users
Posted: 9/28/2008 4:27:43 PM
I think it looks like a format ebay uses. View similar products.
A cross-promotion tactic used in sales and marketing.
Not sure I like being cross-promoted like that.

My similar's are all really pretty and very nice profiles, but they are certainly
not anything at all "similar" to me.

As Ticket pointed out the ONLY similarity is that we're all ONLINE.

I would imagine there could be a simpler way of Markus letting us know who
else is online without having to put us up for examination against our peers.

I don't like it... it's objectification and competition evoking at it's worst.
[as evidenced by message 4]= objectification of the female body.
So the guys get to search by boobs, but the ladies don't get to search
guys with similar "packages" LOL

We ladies have enough objectification of our bodies as it is. Just do a simple 'image
search' of the word " Woman" and see how the media objectifies us as nothing more
than walking T and A. Now do a similar image search with the word Man and you get
none of that. Rather telling isn't it?

This rather takes away my uniqueness and sends a bad message to the guys that
we are all just a marketable ITEM, rather than individual ladies with unique
qualities that set us apart from the next one.

Two thumbs way down!
 Ticketoride
Msg: 6
View Similar Users
Posted: 9/28/2008 4:48:45 PM
New Feature: Two thumbs way down!

This Feature is as of yet incomplete and will likely be named something on the Order of:

"Who Pays POF-Style Blackjack"

Now bear with me for a Moment ... its not quite what you think it is.

The matching Criterias are as follows: Age and City.

You can opt for 1 of the 2 items only, but not both to play your Hand.

Each User in your Hand is worth 2 Points. An Event Host is worth 5.

Each Moderator, current or present are "Wild Cards".

So if you have 2 Users the same Age on your "Similar Users" Page & one Moderator, you would have 3 of a Kind, which instantly doubles your Points

If you have a banned User, an unbanned User, a Host, a previous Moderator, and a current Moderator, you would have a "Royal Flush" and win the Game.

When you contact Users for Dates, start the interlude with a Game of:

"Who Pays? - POF-Style Blackjack".

The Loser pays for the Date, as do those who have an "Admin" in the Deck.
 Ticketoride
Msg: 7
View Similar Users
Posted: 9/28/2008 5:26:57 PM
I just had 4 of a kind then... Bigfish, Moderator, Ticket and Trapped...
Beat that! But what does it do?

And along with another User in the Deck, that's a Royal Flush and you don't pay.
Put those $2.39 Salad Bar Coupons away ...

I just had 4 of a kind then... Bigfish, Moderator, Ticket and Trapped...

Got you beat....I have two mods, one bigfish, and one ex mod!^^^^

The Tie-Breaker Page will be coming up shortly.
 Ticketoride
Msg: 8
View Similar Users
Posted: 9/28/2008 5:41:57 PM
Ticket - can I use that on a "who pays , who does not pay" for the date thread?

Well, of course. You're a Winner !!! (Not to be confused with the Site's tasteless Advertising) Its a perfectly valid Way to "Break the Da ... err ... Ice".

These Creations are not thought up because there is nothing better to do such as fixing "Short Interval Re-Login" Issues, Profiles that won't delete, bogus E-Mail Error Messages, sleazy Gifts, or non-matching My Matches Pages, etc.
 Ticketoride
Msg: 9
View Similar Users
Posted: 9/28/2008 6:02:51 PM
Well I don't have a winning ticket, Ticket, but I have more faves than Big Fish, does that count?

You are being very difficult. But Ok, we'll make yet another Type of Tiebreaker Page still ...
 Ticketoride
Msg: 10
View Similar Users
Posted: 9/28/2008 6:20:59 PM
what the hell is this "useless to forum users" ?

Just a Challenge to connect the logical Dots to the new Feature ...
A Rubik's Cube kinda Deal, if ya know what I mean ...

I've been dealt from the bottom of the deck.

But you seem to have more Users ... you are good for well over 15 Points ... lol

WHAT DO I WIN, HUH? WHAT?

A Gift Page? Of course, how inconsiderate of us ...
 *Eiledon*
Msg: 11
View Similar Users
Posted: 9/28/2008 7:51:24 PM

Got you beat....I have two mods, one bigfish, and one ex mod!^^^^

Got you all beat ~ Bigfish, two mods, one ex mod, and the generic forum mod - That's 5 of a kind!

I can see why people might not be happy with that appearing on their profiles though - If you're trying to promote Yourself with your profile, why would you want a direct link to the 'competition' on your profile?

That's like a Ford dealer handing out brochures for the latest Jaguar!
 Sweet J-me Baby
Msg: 12
View Similar Users
Posted: 9/28/2008 8:56:23 PM
^^^ Unless of course the girl you are viewing is the Jag and the 'similar' ones are the Fords!

I don't see too much of a problem with this, except there is one definite one on my similiar page who I have no idea why she would be there! lol The way I see it, if somebody checks out my profile, there may be something that interests him, but also something things that he is not interested in at all. At least he can go look and see if there is a more similar match to himself.
 Ferruginous
Msg: 13
View Similar Users
Posted: 9/28/2008 9:12:37 PM

For regular forum users this feature is completely useless.
Then could you please take it off my profile?
 anndramada
Msg: 14
View Similar Users
Posted: 9/28/2008 9:39:00 PM
http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts10976874.aspx
And of course we are just seing the beginning of these broadcasting type
threads. Oh yeah, more messes for the Mods to clean up. Like they don't have
enough redundancy to deal with already!
 Wishes Granted
Msg: 15
view profile
History
View Similar Users
Posted: 9/29/2008 6:18:28 AM
OMG: Now this place really is like a candy store! The Similar Users page is like the "map" you get in a box of chocolate to let you know what you'll be biting into.

Great.. Now if somebody likes my profile.. they'll be immediately directed to somebody who has the same cup size as me (or so it appears) and will have to work even less hard to find somebody to next me for Seriously what is the REAL benefit of this feature?

.. *sighs* .. Just when I was starting to feel all self-worthy again ~
 texasbaby
Msg: 16
view profile
History
View Similar Users
Posted: 9/29/2008 6:25:59 AM
I just looked at the profiles similar to mine. Not Funny! They All had cleavage shots!
Crap! So now I have to go change my main picture?

tb
 thehum
Msg: 17
Easy like sunday morning
Posted: 9/29/2008 10:59:52 AM
I think you all may be over thinking this just a tad. This feature doesn't rob you of your individuality or spark, they clearly just base it according to who or how many people have you on their favorites list or who and how many people message you. I had a good chuckle when I saw who I was 'similar' to, but I think I'm clear enough about who I am to not fuss or fret about whether the dastardly pof technician feels that there is no difference between me and the five girls with the 'up angle' cleave shots as they desperately try to salvage the very last strains of their self esteem.
 Rainsands
Msg: 18
View Similar Users
Posted: 9/29/2008 11:25:18 AM
... they clearly just base it according to who or how many people have you on their favorites list or who and how many people message you.

Umm, no, they don't.

Three quarters of the "supposedly similar" profiles on my page are cleavage shots and the age range spans 35 years, from 32 yrs old to 67 years old. Gee, thanks Markus..
 HarleyKat~
Msg: 19
View Similar Users
Posted: 9/29/2008 2:12:46 PM
First time I checked this out, myself! LOL

My bestest friend is listed in mine...so I would say pretty freakin' accurate! Not to mention we are all with...breasts. Close enough! Who cares? LOL
 HarleyKat~
Msg: 20
View Similar Users
Posted: 9/29/2008 4:56:30 PM
Are you asking for a refund, Dustin?? LOL

Seriously...let's say you click on someone's profile who's photo appealed to you. Maybe they have restrictions which eliminate you, or are looking for someone a different age range or something? So the "similar users" button enables you to look at users who are deemed similar for whatever reason. Whoop Dee Doo. If you do not like it, don't utilize it?
 Ticketoride
Msg: 21
View Similar Users
Posted: 9/29/2008 5:47:17 PM
And since that doesn't seem at all likely, I can only sit back and bring attention to the deprecation of this site, in hopes he will read them and become aware of what is working and what is not.

I have studied Dozens of free Dating Sites, their Operations, Features and Services, and they don't even remotely come Close to this Site, Mis-functions, Bugs and all.

Other Sites are not properly marketed, and are not showing up on Google or other Search Engines when Topic Searches are done. Its possible Google has installed newer Filters subsequent to the Launch of this Site, but there used to be a Time you could search for a Waterpump and end up here. Its the Forums that for a large Part that make its Exposure possible, and none of the other Freebies are using this Vehicle. All they have is Idiots looking for Sex. And still ... those Sites that require Logins to access their Forums and Site are only stringing themselves up.

Its total Mickey-Mouse Land out there. And this Site is by far not as good as it could get. In Fact far from it. I am surprised no one has come along and beat this Act, because it ain't that hard to do. Granted, using different and more effective Coding will require far more Resources, but the Supremacy of such a Site would kick this one all over Kingdom Come.

As many Techs have pointed out, the Coding is a Cinch for the most Part. And if it costs a Million in new Servers (which it doesn't) then do it, since $ 10,000,000 plus a Year Income shouldn't break the Bank. The Mail Setting Restrictions could be extended to incl. Profile Items too, the My Matches Page have actual Matches based on these Settings, correct, accurate & precise E-Mail Error Messages, Login Problems are in part Issues buried within the original Coding as well as Remedies being bounced around different Servers. Blocking User's Pics on various Pages can also be filtered with considerable Ease.

'Google gives Users 6 GB of free Server Storage, but this Site needs to free 10 MBs (max) of Space per User of your Inbox every 30 Days. Folders could be created to keep all your Mail Indefinitely. 10,000,000 Users x 10 MBs + 50% Overhead (Max) = 150 MBs, what? ...
... about $ 20.00 in HDD Real Estate?

There is a big Huge Open $$$$$$$$ Hole out there in Freebie Datingland, but no Takers. The one Thing that would be next to impossible to beat are these Forums here. They are Second to none. I have yet to see even 1 Site where the Webmaster even has the faintest Clue what a Forum is, littered with "e-mail me for sex" .. every friggin' Thread. Well, it used to be that Way here too at one Time.
 Ticketoride
Msg: 22
View Similar Users
Posted: 9/29/2008 7:56:33 PM
two of them were fellow co-hosts on events (which is good thing) and ALL the others were either laying across their beds or showing their HUGE tatas.

Thanks so much. Had I not looked at your Profile, I would have never found that 'similar' Chick to you. (* Please move to Testimonials)
 Xavery
Msg: 23
View Similar Users
Posted: 9/29/2008 8:18:35 PM
I find this very amusing and very confusing. Perhaps someone could just summarize what this new feature is in simple terms, really simple.
 Ticketoride
Msg: 24
View Similar Users
Posted: 9/29/2008 8:47:58 PM
I find this very amusing and very confusing. Perhaps someone could just summarize what this new feature is in simple terms, really simple.

The ones on your Page seem to be local Users that have not logged in for a few Days (which only your local Guys can see).

Kinda like a My Matches Page for the opposite Sex of Users who haven't logged in for 1-3 few Days.

The Admin may still be working on this Feature. So do something positive and play "Who Pays" Poker Blackjack with them for now.

Since more Profiles are clicked on with a new Page, more Advertising is viewed too, so it might just be another Pocketliner.

If the My Matches Page had actual Matches, would you not only need to click on half the Profiles, viewing only half of the Ads? And now you can get Revenue off those not logged in as well.

And those who have not logged in may find quite the Roster of new Candidates on their Viewed Me Page when they come back, perhaps not the same "Old Faces" from the My Matches Pages.

Kinda like tilling the Flowerbed.
 Xavery
Msg: 25
View Similar Users
Posted: 9/29/2008 9:14:21 PM
^Thanks!

Well! I'm totally bummed out. Went to check out all the chicks I'm supposed to be similar too. Ones on my fav list, a couple I have communicated with via the forums. A couple I've never seen before.

But what really hurt my feelings?....I'm not on a single one of their "similar" lists...

Dont worry we will look like that after the surgery, too.

I have to say this - even though I shouldn't - but I never realized until this week it was possible to have such big ... I mean so much cleavage. It just knocks my socks off. Some women definitely use this or these as their best foot or feet to put forward. ......get me out of here before I say more.
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > New Feature: View Similar Users