Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Why do so few men take part in yoga.?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 cotter
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Why do so few men take part in yoga.?Page 1 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
Okay … are you serious?

Think of all the men you know … I'm trying to imagine men my age.

Now imagine them in the "Boat pose" … or the "side plank". Better yet … "half lord of the fishes" pose.

That should just about answer the question for you … eh?
 ~~BP~~
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Why do so few men take part in yoga.?
Posted: 10/9/2008 7:33:39 PM

They don't appreciate the benefits.

It takes a bit of intelligence and willingness to engage in things that are good for your body and mind which are more subtle in nature, than weightlifting.

Don't get me wrong, I think weight lifting is a super exercise.

But yoga is very concerned with the mind-body connection. And seems gentle. I'm sure there are men who feel it's not manly.

Don't fool yourself. There are just as many stupid yoga enthusiasts as there are stupid weightlifters.
 compleat_man
Msg: 22
Posted: 10/10/2008 12:08:40 PM
probably because of the usual reason so many men are afraid of 'new' or 'different' things, they are DEATHLY afraid it might look "gay"..or "someone" MIGHT 'accuse' them of not being 110% 'straight'..

EGADS! "someone" might question their masulinity/sexuality?

can't have that..must..eat.. raw meat torn off an animal while still alive..and..grunt.. and communicate through mono-syllables ..LOL

a, I see that freezabird (post # 2) got there ahead of me..
 maxxoccupancy
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 10/10/2008 4:32:17 PM
I've actually been looking for an organized yoga class. Ironically, I know more men involved in yoga than women. Admittedly, one of them is gay, but I'm the one who talked him into it.
 compleat_man
Msg: 31
Posted: 10/14/2008 2:52:58 PM
boys don't like to participate in activities where most of the girls/women are better than they are at it..

get "beaten" by a GIRL? Nooooooooooooooooooo...LOL :)
 Shibui_Man
Msg: 39
Posted: 10/31/2008 10:14:49 AM
i must be in the minority....

it's a perception thing, i think. people gravitate towards what they are comfortable with. i have a yoga routine that is a very tough workout, for sure! even knowing the benefits, i still avoid it. the same holds true for those pesky isometric squats!
 David_10019
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 11/5/2008 7:56:40 PM
I would do Yoga... but I would feel very out of place.

I find it somewhat easier to focus on what I'm doing when I'm not surrounded by athletic women in crazy poses (maybe its just me).
 ~~BP~~
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Posted: 1/14/2009 5:59:28 PM

One of my yoga teachers did once joke that many of his students do yoga just so they can wear sexy tight clothing that costs an arm and a leg (God bless those LuluLemon pants!), but I've known a lot more ditsy gym bunnies (=hardcore female lifters, the bottle blondes with the permanently overcooked tans and blatantly fake boobs) than ditsy yoga women.

Ah well then, my experience has been radically different than yours. I would reckon there are more coiffed, botoxed, implanted princesses in the yoga room than in the lifting room. You know, the ones who tell me they refused to lift more than 5lb dumbells because they "will get bulky!" Overnight, even!!!!

The ones who avoid the weight room because sometimes the men smell sweaty.
The ones who tell me they're taking yoga/pilates because they want to get "long, lean muscles"

or maybe our definition of "intelligence" is just different.
 ~~BP~~
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 1/14/2009 8:06:55 PM
Oh, and the old "I want to get a dancer's body!"

To be fair, I have nothing against yoga, as long as the practitioners are realistic about what they are actually getting out of it.
 Studblac
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 1/15/2009 12:37:36 PM
I do pilates and now I am going to start with HATHA YOGA-believe you me I am all man! I just want to connect with all of my mental -spirtual-& physical self.
 PirateJohn09
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 1/16/2009 10:43:46 PM
Well, I can say that I tried yoga and didn't particularly care for it. I did, however, start taking a turbo kickboxing class, which is another "girly" class, and I happen to like that a lot.
 jimcope
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Posted: 2/10/2009 9:32:54 PM
I had a martial arts school for many years. As I got older I wanted something that would give me what my training in the martial arts did. I have been going to yoga for over two years now go most every day some time twice a day. I feel a little odd being the only man at times. Being 58 most everyone is younger than me. I love the training and have but on a women’s self defense class for the studio. I would not change anything I love it.
Jim
 hatemycelly
Msg: 79
Posted: 2/12/2009 3:06:51 PM
Well I enjoy the sun salutations. I started yoga to accent my fitness during winter months. No I dont go to classes because ya its a 'girl-thing' and being a guy that is single and looking for a woman. I dont really want to be painted with the gay brush.

j
 hatemycelly
Msg: 81
Posted: 2/12/2009 6:24:42 PM
well, I never said I was logical.

j
 itechman63
Msg: 84
view profile
History
Posted: 4/15/2009 9:47:56 AM
Personally I'd enjoy taking a yoga class for it's benefits in balance, flexibility, and mental focus but I believe the nearest one to me is an hour away in a time zone an hour ahead. It just seems to me that with the physical and mental benefits of Yoga, that everything you do you would do better. Basically an overall foundation for everything that you do.
 DJKasper1981
Msg: 85
view profile
History
Posted: 4/15/2009 2:47:21 PM
If you ever notice all the guys that do try yoga are usually older also. I for one never wanted to try yoga until I was around 26. Then it was just for something new to do. Although when I did try it I found it a very good workout. Even tho when I started I felt very weird about it. To me it a good warm up to wightlifting workout or good for after.

I'd recommend it for any guy who would like his stretching to be more intresting & tiring.
 El_Mariachi
Msg: 94
Posted: 4/18/2009 9:07:41 PM
Because it looks freaking funny?

I only do it because it's insanely relaxing (even though it's hard - I'm a beginner) and because I think my posture blows, which leads me to some pain. The yoga seems to kill the pain.

I don't think men want to relax when exercising. Sometimes women do.
 DH Guy
Msg: 97
view profile
History
Posted: 5/1/2009 10:34:14 PM
1. Same reason most men don't do ballet.

2. Antomically not as flexabale as females, so were unable to hold some of the poses. And yes, we can tell your snickering, although your holding a straight face!

3. We don't like the dirty looks, or the uncomfortable posturing that goes on when were positioned behind you. We can't help it if your hanging out of your clothes, or if you butt is in our line of vision. We don't intentionally look....at least not always.

4.We have more sensitive parts, that usually need repositioning for comfort, or from falling out of our shorts, and you girls get grossed out and offended when we do.

5. Men fart. We don't mind (isn't obvious by now). But we don't like the scowling, and dirty looks we get because of it.

6. Women fart. Women get embarrased, which makes us feel uncomfortable. Or sometimes well just snicker, but it's just out of nervousnous, well not always.

7. You have to get barefooted. Our feet stink! At least that what you always tell us.

8. Your feet stink, but were nice enough not to tell you.

9. Our shorts go up the crack of our b#tts during some of the posses. Were not to fond of the thong feeling, and again you girls get upset when we pick our shorts.

10. The poses are alot harder for men than for women. We don't mind being out done by a woman, we just don't like the hazing we get from our buddies (girl buddies as well. you know it happens!) for having been out done by a woman.

11. We don't like getting labelled as the creepy guy from yoga class. Unless the guy's gay, we always get the stank-eye because you girls think were looking at your butts, up you shorts, or up your shirts, ect. Or only taking the class to pick up women, which is generally true,...and every one knows it, because everyone knows GUYS DON"T DO YOGA!
 Lux Aeternum
Msg: 98
view profile
History
Posted: 5/2/2009 12:26:26 AM
I will go to yoga if my girlfriend wants me to, mainly because it's something we can share. But I do my flexibility in karate class, my strength training in a gym, and my meditation alone.

I might go by myself if I needed to meet someone new...
 zarathustra00
Msg: 108
Posted: 5/9/2009 5:21:28 AM
I took a power yoga class for about 6 months. After that I just began stretching on my own for 15-20 min incorporating some of the stretches I learned from there. I had lower back problems too and the teacher herself confirmed that yoga wasn't really the best for that.

And yeah, I did first take the class because I thought the instructor was cute.

I'm also a little skeptical about how effective it is, I know girls who have taken yoga for years and still can't touch their toes

Just like anything else, they have to learn to still push themselves even in the class. Just like all the regular gym rats, many you wouldn't even be able to tell ever touched weights but that doesn't negate the effectiveness of proper resistance training.
 localvanboy
Msg: 111
view profile
History
Posted: 5/11/2009 1:22:34 AM
I just started taking yoga at the suggestion of my massage therapist! I started my first class back in June 2008. The only reason why I even considered yoga was because my shoulders and upper back were usually pretty tense! (a good sign that I was spending waaaaaaay too much time in front of my computer! )

She suggested I take some yoga. So I did! My first week in class was brutal. I was stretching muscles that I haven't used in what seemed like decades! My legs were sore and could barely walk!

But I persisted. Now almost a year later, I have to admit it was one of the best things I could have taken!
I think it's really helped me with my tennis and my hockey! Hey it never hurts to be more flexible anyways!

But it was developing my weak core strength. I think that alot of guys and girls have weak core strength. I know I certainly did!

What I have learned about yoga? It's NOT cardio. It's NOT muscle building. It's NOT about loosing weight.

What has it done for me? It has help me with flexibility (very important as we all get older!), being more calm (great cuz we live in a world that is very hyper!). More focused and better core strength.

I'm sure that there are other benefits that go along with practising yoga, but for now, I would strongly suggest it for all the guys out there! It's not to replace your cardio or weight lifting, but an addition to it!

Just my 2 cents worth about yoga!
 YogaRob
Msg: 112
view profile
History
Posted: 5/15/2009 7:34:40 AM
Many of you that have posted have no clue what Yoga is designed for. A very integral part of Yoga is breathing. Weight lifting cannot be compared to Yoga at all. Yoga for the most part will move all your muscles during a well designed practice. Notice..Practice..it's not a religion or a workout..you set your own boundries. I am a teacher and have practiced Yoga all over the world in beautiful settings and will never step foot in a gym again. Yoga not only improves strength but establishes a good foundation for balance.
One of my Yoga teachers is world renown , is 91 and has a hip replacement and you would never know it. Its hard to open the eyes, minds and hearts of macho guys who like to elevate their testosterone playing with weights. My body is chiseled all over from Yoga and I'm constantly oogled by my female classmates many of them younger..but the older woman who are lean and flexible are hottt!
It takes time to get into it..but once it does you will totally enjoy it. Namaste
 winteragain
Msg: 143
Posted: 8/1/2009 7:56:14 PM
Pretty simple. Yoga stretches your muscles out and that's bad news if your goal is strength. This blunts the actin-myosin crossbridge action when a muscle contracts. Your motor neurons also take a hit as well as fiber recruitment so basically yoga makes a man weaker and no one wants to be weaker. It's great for girls because what else would be they doing besides long walks in the park and laundry.
 dogle0072
Msg: 152
view profile
History
Posted: 8/5/2009 12:27:49 PM
I'm from a community that must be the exception from the norm. I've seen many men taking yoga classes. I am a man and I teach Tai Chi classes. However, for the most part, women outnumber men in my classes. I don't think men see it as a viable form of exercise, meaning "no pain no gain" or you have to sweat or it doesn't count. I'm hear to tell you, we sweat in my classes.

Their is also the spiritual aspect of both yoga and Tai Chi. Men don't seem as anxious to explore there inner selves. They also debunk the theory that there is more to life than what you see.
 InkyP
Msg: 169
view profile
History
Posted: 11/19/2009 3:58:27 PM

Yoga has saved my shoulders and back SO I COULD DO WEIGHT TRAINING!

Nothing more relaxing then an hour yoga class in the evening.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Why do so few men take part in yoga.?