Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Why do so few men take part in yoga.?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 lucyfurry
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Why do so few men take part in yoga.?Page 1 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
At my yoga class there is one lone man and all the rest of the attendees are females.

I read that in India yoga is mainly partaken of by men, so why is the opposite true here in the west.?

Is it not seen as 'macho' enough to exercise in this way by the majority of men.?
 freezabird30
Msg: 2
Why do so few men take part in yoga.?
Posted: 9/30/2008 2:56:35 PM
Yoga is a bit like the cross trainer at the gym. A lot of guys think it's more of a woman's thing. A man doing a 'woman's thing' = gay. Basically.
 ThisIsAmy
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 9/30/2008 2:59:27 PM
I think many men in the west have grown up with the idea that looking WITHIN is not something they want to be doing or have the skill to do. HOWEVER I don't believe this is true. I've been "in circles" of men who are open and honest about what's happening inside them. Yoga, for me is both a physical thing and a spiritual thing.
I don't think it will take long for the men in the west to catch up to the men in the east once they see what it can do for them on a very personal level.

Have fun in class! :-)
~Amy~
 crazytimes1
Msg: 4
Posted: 9/30/2008 3:08:09 PM
Why do so few women eat a balanced diet and participate in a regular regime of resistance and cardiovascular training? Is it seen as a mans thing?
 TakeMeTheWayIAm
Msg: 5
Posted: 9/30/2008 3:29:36 PM
There's often a social dynamic when a group of women get together. And the social dynamic makes men feel unwelcome.

If a guy goes into a bar/restaurant and a collection of women is seated somewhere many of the group will send out "men are unwelcome" signs in their body language. It's similar to the mentality of the "all boy's clubhouse".

So even if a guy did think in terms of wanting to join, he'd worry that he wouldn't be welcome.

As for myself, I wouldn't mind doing a stretching sort of activity (like Tai Chi) but many of the yoga instructors act like they're teaching a religious class instead. As more of a scientist I cringe when I hear what sounds like mumbo-jumbo pseudo-science being described in what should be an exercise class. I really see no reason why we need to rename everything (yoni, for example). And I can't respect the seemingly made-up concepts like "chakras".

It seems to me that in order to enjoy yoga the participant must be willing to give up analytical thinking and just believe that what's being described is accurate. That just doesn't work for me.

I took a samba class and the women-to-men ratio is just as you described. It didn't have any of the religious overtones but I did feel the "unwelcome mat" was there (since there were about ten die-hard lesbians in the group of thirty) so I stopped going due to the social dynamics.
 demonsleeves
Msg: 6
Posted: 9/30/2008 3:39:41 PM
Maybe it's a geographical thing,but I've been involved in Hatha Yoga for a few years now and have found a pretty equal mix of men and women.I've only been to one place that was all women.It was right next door to a "Curves"(women only fitness center).
I have been to one Bikram(hot yoga)class and found that one to be more men than women.
 cotter
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 9/30/2008 4:38:29 PM
Okay … are you serious?

Think of all the men you know … I'm trying to imagine men my age.

Now imagine them in the "Boat pose" … or the "side plank". Better yet … "half lord of the fishes" pose.

That should just about answer the question for you … eh?
 4665646f7261
Msg: 8
Posted: 9/30/2008 5:59:45 PM
Well I don't take yoga since I do Qigong. I thinkg Qigong is getting more popular especially with the males and martial arts.
 umm...Dave
Msg: 9
Posted: 9/30/2008 6:31:19 PM

Because it is boring.
 adistar25
Msg: 10
Posted: 9/30/2008 7:55:20 PM
And hyperextension and extreme stretching of the spine are not really considered safe as far as stretching for everyone.

Besides, weight training for strength and flexibility is much better for your joint health than relaxed held stretches.
 Infinity Mine
Msg: 11
Posted: 10/1/2008 10:35:20 PM

And I can't respect the seemingly made-up concepts like "chakras".

Bingo...that's a big one...if you don't take spirituality seriously...it's a huge deterrant...you won't accept the possible benefits beyond the physical....

I noticed after my first class that a lot of the positions are similar to other techniques that balance out your energies....though I may not have checked it out if I didn't have problems with balance & flexability....

I do "normal" stretching quite often...and while both yoga and normal streching feels good for the tendons...I noticed a huge shift in my energy level after yoga...granted it was kinda fleeting....

It all boils down to social conditioning...
 ThisIsAmy
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 10/5/2008 7:21:58 AM
I've been reading the responses and some very good points have come up.
I have not come across the "religious" aspect and i agree with the poster it should be taught as an exercise class not a religious one with any religious overtones, in my opinion.

Also someone mentioned that men may like a more physical activity. Three of my sons are serious body builders and I doubt they could get into the poses but they are flexible. And I agree not all the stretching done in yoga is good for everyone. That is true about most things, you have got to find what works best for you.

Great discussion.
~Amy~
P.S. I'd still like to see MORE men though and I'm not one of those that puts out the "you're not welcome mat"...I enjoy the company of men...even in a mostly woman dominated class. ;-)
 lucyfurry
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 10/5/2008 2:58:06 PM

I have not come across the "religious" aspect and i agree with the poster it should be taught as an exercise class not a religious one with any religious overtones, in my opinion.

I would disagree there, it should be taught as "religious" IMO. why just turn something that has developed over 1000's of years in tune with religion into just another exercise class.?

Western society as it is now lacks much spiritual development in its grasp of materialism, we have three aspects.
Namely; mind,body & spirit. & they all need work for most of us, to ignore one surely leads to imbalance.

I think then that the majority of men just find yoga boring.?
 ThisIsAmy
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 10/5/2008 8:10:07 PM
I guess I would just think most people that come to yoga, already have their idea of how the world works. I, myself, teach body, mind , spirit connection in all my workshops. IF the class is set up that way, "spiritually", it's great. But most people equate spirituality with religion, and in my opinion they are two totally different things.

I think yoga brings about that closeness with self. A journey within, not outside of the self.

Maybe a more indepth discussion needs to be had by those taking a class. What I got from one of the other posters was that he felt it was kinds of "forced" or he felt "surprised" by it and his background is of the "scientific" type..and maybe his expectations of the class were ones of "just exercise" and not a lesson in spirituality? maybe? I'm just guessing here.

And my post ment religious, not to include spirituality, which I mentioned above is totally different in my book...so maybe just symantics (sp?) here...and difference in definition of the words religious and spiritual?

Your thoughts?
~Amy~
 VakyxClone
Msg: 15
Posted: 10/8/2008 8:26:43 PM
Id rather be the lone guy doing yoga with a bunch of woman. Its more calming.

And men dont partake in it because they dont understand the benefits, as you can notice from the replies. They have to see to believe, and since few even participate to start with, they dont see anything.
 Rob 25
Msg: 16
Posted: 10/8/2008 8:38:19 PM
I got a wii fit a couple of weeks ago, and the yoga portion of it was pretty cool.

I think Yoga and pilates is an awsome way to not only stretch, correct your balance, but a good way to burn some massive calories. I am going to add it to my cardio regime.

I know i feel very energized and flexible after it.
 EasyRidin
Msg: 17
Posted: 10/8/2008 8:53:32 PM
They don't appreciate the benefits.

It takes a bit of intelligence and willingness to engage in things that are good for your body and mind which are more subtle in nature, than weightlifting.

Don't get me wrong, I think weight lifting is a super exercise.

But yoga is very concerned with the mind-body connection. And seems gentle. I'm sure there are men who feel it's not manly.
 crazytimes1
Msg: 18
Posted: 10/9/2008 1:16:59 AM

I'm sure there are men who feel it's not manly.

How about this- I do not want the kind of woman who is attracted to the kind of man that does yoga. Thankfully if I end up single again, that is not really going to put a dent in the pool of potentials.
 ~~BP~~
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 10/9/2008 7:33:39 PM

They don't appreciate the benefits.

It takes a bit of intelligence and willingness to engage in things that are good for your body and mind which are more subtle in nature, than weightlifting.

Don't get me wrong, I think weight lifting is a super exercise.

But yoga is very concerned with the mind-body connection. And seems gentle. I'm sure there are men who feel it's not manly.

Don't fool yourself. There are just as many stupid yoga enthusiasts as there are stupid weightlifters.
 EasyRidin
Msg: 20
Posted: 10/10/2008 10:39:50 AM

Don't fool yourself. There are just as many stupid yoga enthusiasts as there are stupid weightlifters.

What I'm trying to get at is, very bluntly, that I think that men (or others) who think yoga is girlie or dumb are just ignorant on the matter.

Of course, there are stupid people in any field.
 UrbanTO
Msg: 21
Posted: 10/10/2008 11:39:59 AM
Actually I think it's because *many* men know they are just not flexible enough to do it therefore won't attempt it. Many don't want to look like fools.

I mean, who hasn't been at a yoga class at the beginning (I took it for 6 yrs) where you have no clue as to the poses or the sequence (sun salutation for example) and you feel like a complete idjit for missing a beat or do it too fast, or too slow or whatever.

Yoga will NOT give you instant gratification, it takes a while. It does help with stretching, something we all need. It's not the answer to everything but it's an integral part of your well being. As a runner, I appreciate the benefit of many yoga poses and I recommend it to anyone who cares to listen lol
 compleat_man
Msg: 22
Posted: 10/10/2008 12:08:40 PM
probably because of the usual reason so many men are afraid of 'new' or 'different' things, they are DEATHLY afraid it might look "gay"..or "someone" MIGHT 'accuse' them of not being 110% 'straight'..

EGADS! "someone" might question their masulinity/sexuality?

can't have that..must..eat.. raw meat torn off an animal while still alive..and..grunt.. and communicate through mono-syllables ..LOL

a, I see that freezabird (post # 2) got there ahead of me..
 maxxoccupancy
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 10/10/2008 4:32:17 PM
I've actually been looking for an organized yoga class. Ironically, I know more men involved in yoga than women. Admittedly, one of them is gay, but I'm the one who talked him into it.
 lucyfurry
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 10/11/2008 3:28:16 PM

probably because of the usual reason so many men are afraid of 'new' or 'different' things, they are DEATHLY afraid it might look "gay"..or "someone" MIGHT 'accuse' them of not being 110% 'straight'..

EGADS! "someone" might question their masulinity/sexuality?

can't have that..must..eat.. raw meat torn off an animal while still alive..and..grunt.. and communicate through mono-syllables ..LOL

Masculinity is so inflexible..!
 shurite48
Msg: 25
Posted: 10/11/2008 10:08:49 PM
What is wrong with not liking yoga?

Wow, talk about some man haters, LOL.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Why do so few men take part in yoga.?