Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Is clinical depression cause by internal or external forces?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 jackster121
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Is clinical depression cause by internal or external forces?Page 1 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
Clinical depression can be a chemical inbalance in the brain but the catalyst can be a traumatic (or a series) of events. People who are emotionally (verbally abused) can develop depression, people who suffer a significant loss can have it and it can be medical. The good news is all Depressiopn is managed by medications. The bad news is when they are on the medication, they feel great and don't think they need the medication. It is a cycle and a # of people end up in several hospitalizations over a life time.
 CHAOTICBEAUTINESS
Msg: 5
Is clinical depression caused by internal or external forces?
Posted: 9/30/2008 6:58:07 PM
I think that the stress of a divorce before, after and during can make anyone depressed. If you have a family history of depression, it seems that it is likely it would occur at the most stressful times. Chemical imbalances can happen in anyone regardless of size and weight. Unfortunately treatment, medication is not a complete cure. There are pills that can help, but you have to be the test for them and even if you were to try them all, they still not might not work. Some people take combinations and it works, and sometimes even combinations of drugs don't work. Everyone is different and medication doesn't always work with everyone.

I agree that when you are going through stress, one of the best things you can do for yourself is to exercise and eat healthy. It is you that needs to be taken care of and that is one of the best things you can do for you. Meditation and yoga are great to relieve stress. Doing things for other people seems to help. Sunlight is also great for depression.

Personally I avoid depression by eating chocolate
 GoneSailinBabe
Msg: 10
Posted: 9/30/2008 7:52:38 PM
I don't really feel an online dating site is the proper place to ask questions regardling clincial diagnosis of anything. What you'll find are a bunch of people with little book knowledge and a lot of misconceptions about something they have some experience with or think they do.

If you really are seeking answers about clinical depression seek that from a licensed professional.

Not Lazy Boy psychiatrists you meet online.

Additionally if your last three relationships have all had this in common, the common denominator is you. Why are you choosing men with these past issues in their life?

OOOOh even more scary is that you acknowledge that these men all were toxic personalities who could drive someone with them in a relationship to being clincially depressed.

I'd stop dating for a bit - not bashing you just a suggestion that you might want to re-evaluate you?

CHAOTICBEAUTINESS
Msg: 22
Posted: 10/1/2008 10:59:55 AM

Depression is always a choice, and always the fault of the chooser.

Oh yeah, people just choose to be depressed. Oh yeah, people just love to cry and be sad. Oh yeah, it is such a choice. Someone needs to take their head out of the sand and look it up on the computer, google is your friend. It isn't a choice any more than choosing your eye color. You can mask your eye color and hide in your house, but the eye color is still there behind the lenses the same as you are still there behind your curtains.

Next someone is going to say that arthritis, heart attacks, or diabetes is a choice.
 phishkev
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 10/1/2008 11:56:30 AM
Wow-again, all depends on the person-we are all unique and the way we deal all deals with so many internal and external factors-being there for them afterwards can help, but is often open to all sorts of danger-again, all depends...talk to others about it, if you can...
 GoneSailinBabe
Msg: 29
Posted: 10/1/2008 4:13:41 PM
Ahhhhh and again - did I NOT point out to you folks a couple thousand pages ago that one shouldn't be seeking this sort of input on an internet dating site?

Open gasoline can
Insert lighter
Flick
and Flame

RLMAO heh heh heh heh and if she's a depressed psycho stalker - she can talk to the animals and boil the dust bunnies Woo hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 Xcen
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 10/1/2008 7:34:01 PM
Andrew, msg 26
And for an encore, you will now define and discuss transference and projection to the total delight of the audience??? Then we can all laugh then, also.
 scorpiomover
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 10/2/2008 8:50:52 AM

I was always under the impression that clinical depression was due to a chemical imbalance, which would be a medical condition, while depression brought about by negative circumstances was, well, circumstantial and temporary. Is it possible that the trauma of a souring relationship or disillusionment could cause clinical depression? I ask this because by the end of each of these relationships, I can see how the behavior of these men could potentially push someone tottering on the brink of sanity completely over the edge.
There definitely are some cases of mental illness that are due to a chemical imbalance. But most of these seem to be bipolar.

You can definitely start out by feeling that things are going wrong in your life with no light at the end of the tunnel, if a relationship that you relied upon comes to an abrupt end, especially if you are cut off from your children, and so you can end up depressed. However, the trouble with depression is that once you're in it, things look very bleak, and you really don't see any way that things will get any better, and that can keep you in it, for a very long time, in some cases, forever.

It's not all gloom and doom. Many people can and do recover from depression. But it doesn't usually happen overnight.

I did find one thing. If you get a lot of trouble from your family, and you move away from them, and keep away, the depression doesn't disappear overnight, but it sure feels like it, and things can get better with each passing day.
 obeythepug
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 10/2/2008 10:43:06 AM
I have depression/generalized anxiety disorder. It is hard to tell where one begins and the other ends. I have had it all my life. I think depression is over diagnosed and over medicated, but that does not mean some people don't legitimately have it. It seems like everyone's ex has depression, schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, etc, when may be he/she was just a jerk.

What to hear my miserable childhood? I was raised by two people who loved me. We always had food on the table. We always had a roof over our head. We lived in a safe neighborhood with decent schools. No one abused me. I was in denial for so long...how could I be depressed...I had it so easy. I tried diet and exercise...I looked great. It made me a feel a bit better, but not a lot. I appeared cheerful on the outside.

I began taking medicine my senior year of college. The change was subtle but welcomed. It never made me feel like a zombie. I felt like me, only better. I don't know what causes it, but I think it my case it was genetics. I have relatives that have mental illness and/or alcohol dependency .
 scorpiomover
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 10/2/2008 11:45:46 AM
^^^ You definitely sound like its genetic, obeythepug.

The vast majority of people that have suffered with mental illness that I've come across, were people who had a very abusive childhood. IME, you'd be a minority. But I don't want to say you ARE a minority, without proper statistics. So I'd say that you are a vast minority of the mentally ill people I came across, say about 100.

But you definitely don't sound like them. Good on you for taking medication. If only it could be as effective for those with abusive childhoods as well.
 Marmite baby
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Posted: 10/4/2008 6:50:52 AM
Are you picking **stards? The same myself!
 Marmite baby
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 10/4/2008 7:08:05 AM
Depression is no excuse for bad behaviour.
 scorpiomover
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 10/5/2008 5:59:26 AM
I'd like to make a few things clear:

1) Anyone who has been diagnosed with depression and/or anxiety by a doctor has NOT been diagnosed lightly.

The minute a doctor diagnoses someone with a mental illness, the state becomes obligated to provide support, with drugs, therapy, and support, as long as the person is ill, which doctors really cannot say, and takes years, or even decades, and ALL of this costs a fortune to any government with a welfare state system. Doctors don't want to do this a lot, because if they do, they get questioned by the state, if they really are doing their job. Also, because such diagnoses will affect all other medical treatments, they have the potential to cause harm, and can bring themselves into a malpractice suit if they are not careful. So doctors often avoid diagnosis as much as possible, unless they are fairly sure that their diagnosis fits the symptoms very well.

2) A LOT of people with mental illness have a chemical imbalance, that means that on medication they are normal, but nothing else seems to help. Their medication is no different than the insulin injections that a diabetic takes.

3) A LOT of people with mental illness have unresolved emotional traumas, that means that medication helps only a little bit, and only certain therapies seem to help.

Anyone with mental illness has it very, very hard. It's a bit like having a broken leg every day of your life, only that extreme physical pain actually hurts a heck of a lot less.
 KWKatie
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 10/6/2008 10:27:20 AM
Note to Corindan:

If possible, you should bend over and kiss your lucky ass that you do not have a clue what you are talking about!
 Marmite baby
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Posted: 10/7/2008 10:07:02 AM
I think that your own mental health is your own responsibility. But this guy has too many coincidences, Either he is attracted to the unstable. or is a **stard, with control probs of his own. Think. Would either option be good, does he see you as vulnerable, as opposed to the strong person that you are?
 Marmite baby
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Posted: 10/7/2008 10:45:14 AM
Not laughable Andrew. And you ought to take it seriously.
Just hope, a bit, that you don't have to. Well maybe a day.
 bond001
Msg: 71
Posted: 10/21/2008 9:27:19 PM
It could be environmental which will dissipate when the stimuli is removed or genetic which will never go away with the exception of gestational depression.

Clinical Depression if not treated is virtually always a death sentence however.
 shoulderlegs
Msg: 80
view profile
History
Posted: 11/21/2008 9:36:41 PM
You are so right, Christine...
I am currently suffering though the worst depression of my life. My depression is Exogenous, not ENdogenous(Hope I spelled that correctly).
People who have never suffered depression have absolutely no idea the HELL that it causes. Up until 8 years go, I used to have seizures.... I would GLADLY take the seizures over my current depression, because I honestly don't think I can take another day like I had today.
 sneakydevil2009
Msg: 81
Is clinical depression caused by internal or external forces
Posted: 1/27/2009 9:01:00 PM
[Chronic, clinical, depression is a choice that fo0ls make]

You are totally ignorant on this subject.I suggest that you take some courses in psychology.
You clearly are not a psychiatrist nor a psychotherapist or you would know the difference
between the different types of depression!!
I on the other hand do have many degrees in these fields and have testified in many courts as an expert in the field of the brain.
Before you open your mouth and insert your foot again,I suggest that you have the jaws of life to remove your gigantic foot!!
It is because of people like you,that people who need help refuse to seek that help!!
 Rmary1947
Msg: 82
view profile
History
Posted: 5/21/2009 10:09:25 PM
Hummm! Could be both. Food for thought.
Consider also that depression is anger turned inward.

Examples: When on "bites ones tongue" enough and does not speak up with a feeling or could not. That anger could fester into a depression origin external. Or could be a people pleaser that just does without negitive feelings from loved ones or friends, again anger inward becomes depression.

OH MY! I thought chemistry evolved with the phermones we produce. When two people met or past attractions happen as we smell this seemingly hidden factor that makes the other more attractive.
I believe some folks are visual more, auditory, and tactic more. Or a combination of these three. And maybe the phermones take over from there.

Its late now, maybe I can sleep. Best of Luck.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Is clinical depression cause by internal or external forces?