Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > untrue profiles      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 4
untrue profilesPage 1 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
I guess I am lucky, in conversation I can usually tell they are full of BS - when I ask them about the things they say they have in common with me, they can't answer specific stuff if they're lying.

Makes no sense to me when at some point you're going to find out they're full of it....why they'd want to get face to face with someone who's gonna either walk away or tell them off I don't really understand, but I guess some are so lonely they'd rather sit with someone 5 mintues and get told where to go than sit at home and get yelled at by no one.
 GoneSailinBabe
Msg: 6
untrue profiles
Posted: 10/15/2008 4:39:16 PM
^ great insites!
It's all about perceptions and how you interpret meanings and context. The vegan point and activity level is also excellent points!
I'm active, I hate being inside but I'm not out running marathons.
I love riding my bike, I ride daily -havent' driven (by my choice) since March - prefer the bike and consider that I'm making an effort to be physical - but I despise exercising as in - working out, crunches, lifts, lunges etc.,

Give me the Carmen Electra strip tease workout any day!
It's fun, revealing and helpful....

Plus, I'm staying fit.
Is this the same as being a fitness geek?
I doubt they would think it is!
 H2OLuvCoco
Msg: 26
view profile
History
untrue profiles
Posted: 10/17/2008 8:25:40 PM
I think Chel in IL hit it "right on"...
many write in profiles what they "would like to be"....

and to some, they may not be lying...
heck...some of these people that say they are "athletic" actually THINK they are athletic because they played a sport 20 years ago in high school!
 Discerning Virtuosa
Msg: 41
untrue profiles
Posted: 10/18/2008 11:11:03 PM
Uggh! I hate false advertising. A couple months later I am trying to cut off ties with a guy and I have to keep reminding him why I am so disappointed with him because I have not seen ANYTHING reflecting what his profile had stated. When do I get to meet that guy instead of his messed up twin? Although he did say he didn't have money in his profile - that was true. He can't even go out to dinner dutch treat with me.
 vivaciousvixen2
Msg: 44
untrue profiles
Posted: 10/19/2008 1:08:40 PM
EEEWWWWWWWWWEEEEEE
1. long term- definition~want multiple casual sex partners and to have a favorite list. never
wants to remove profile. Permenantly wants to be available for others. Thinks that
the grass is greener on the other side.
2.under interests lists God~uses this to gain a person's trust. Using a BELIEVER'S faith
in GOD to take advanatage of that person's trust to "get laid" because they are piggish
unethical people that can't get sex with out using Jesus.
3.BA or 4 yr degree- Men fake it to get dates. They usually don't have a degree. I know
personally a POF man who read a thread how he can get more "hits" by having a 4 yr
degree and suddenly "got a 4 yr degree" oh WOW!!!!!
4.Seperated or Single-Married
5.Picture with Hair- b a l d
6.Working Out- at the buffet table
7. Shape -Normal- Out of shape R E A L L Y B A D
8.Looks-Average- N O T

WeAre1
Msg: 47
view profile
History
untrue profiles
Posted: 10/19/2008 8:14:13 PM
I have found that no matter how someone writes their profile, you are going to read and interpret it through your mind, beliefs, your meaning of their words....you're even going to see their photos through your filters of how you perceive visually also......so you are not seeing them for who they are, but who you think they are.....

So, outside of the issue of dishonest profiles, inevitably, it seems to me no one is who we think they are in their profiles, for I think it's human nature to project who we are onto them......so, imo, the only way to really meet the other person is, basically, by meeting them in person.
 ImAHotMess
Msg: 51
untrue profiles
Posted: 10/20/2008 12:42:19 PM
Because people can, and they do. Lying sucks but some feel behind a monitor they can make themselves out to be what they WANT to be and not necessarily who they are. That is why I insist if I get along with someone in a few e mails to talk to them and meet. Even then they can still be full of shit but it is faster to find out sooner. There are a lot of game players. And NEVER do anything long distance guys and girls ~ people lie even more that way. No job, live with mommy and daddy at age 41, owe child support, play head games...meet someone fast and local if you are interested and take it from there. I am blunt and honest about who I am and what I want...maybe too much. But I am hoping to avoid bullshit. I am too old for the games. I just say it how it is. I am in person the same way I am here. If I wanted to be a fake, I would have gone to acting school and stayed in Hollywood.
 transcend
Msg: 52
view profile
History
untrue profiles
Posted: 10/21/2008 12:02:19 AM
profiles offer a reasonable chance to fairly share something of yourself.
if its a lot of bull isnt that descriptive?
talking to someone is the least it takes to really begin to see another.. so to me profiles offer a filter to save everyone's time and offer some small hope for success despite knowing that its logical that most of us here lack the time and opportunity required to find a real match in a more traditional manner..

if we were easily paired we wouldnt be here..
offering ourselves as seasoning in an electronic smorgasbord
and redefining what it means to "learn the hard way"
 Discerning Virtuosa
Msg: 56
untrue profiles
Posted: 10/21/2008 3:31:52 PM
I take a new photo of myself every month (so now people can watch this poor single gal age before their very eyes.
Sure I primp a little before I take them but it's nothing over and above what I would do before I would go meet with somebody.
I think the really crummy false advertising is when they lie about their personality traits because that's stuff you can see right away on the first date. You have to get to know them first - there's the rub. I started asking the last guy where's the romantic side? Where's the boat trips you're promising? Where's the relaxing times under the stars? Looking for love and not into one night stands? bwa hahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!! He was more transparent and tried harder at getting some than anyone I've seen in a while.
 Discerning Virtuosa
Msg: 61
untrue profiles
Posted: 10/23/2008 9:33:29 AM
I think some people aren't liars, they are just delusional. Singles have much more time to be alone with their delusions. I used to think I was attractive and had much to offer - now I'm not so sure knowing what men expect me to compete with. Living up to their expectations is draining the life out of me. Maybe I was delusional when I started this whole online dating thing. It is a humbling experience.
 hikerman6001
Msg: 71
untrue profiles
Posted: 11/21/2008 10:27:58 AM
i am 100% truthful on my sight .....whats important to me is i know im honest with my self pass this along to my son ... their enough liars in this world dont want to add one more l to it .... this may cost me few dates dont want to do con job to anyone .... their are plenty of them around male / female including our politicians ....
 Discerning Virtuosa
Msg: 76
untrue profiles
Posted: 11/26/2008 6:31:21 AM

How about seeing your ex in here with a wonderful profile
when in fact you divorced him on account of abusive behaviour?

That probably scares me the most and I always wonder what lies beneath when I see divorced men on here. I know there's 2 sides to every story, but a man can keep that behavior hidden for quite a while. I put up with abuse all through my childhood - my worst nightmare is having a partner that's abusive.
 Amon Amarth
Msg: 84
untrue profiles
Posted: 12/18/2008 2:17:23 PM
Yeah I can't stand that. Like do they really think you won't find out they aren't who they say they are?
 flirtyafterforty
Msg: 85
untrue profiles
Posted: 12/18/2008 5:34:13 PM
Ill go for the phone chat first anytime,n been on a couple of dates blind,not cos of me going that way in middle age,but because I like the sound of the person n think there's maybe a chemistry,Ive met folk that were nothing like their profile,but think I sussed it before we met? Thinking about it,how much can you know someone without chatting over the phone at least
 ImAHotMess
Msg: 87
untrue profiles
Posted: 12/19/2008 8:05:45 AM
I think people lie about who they are, because they can. Another reason meeting very soon is a good idea, and not giving out too much personal information is probably smart as well. My life is pretty much an open book, but so far the ones I have met here for the most part all have some sort of "issue" everything from lying, anger management, confused or simply just do not know who they are. Yet they sell themselves to be this "wonderful person". And it is frustrating for those of us who do know who we are and what we want. I may just stick to the forums from now on. Safer, and I dont leave here with a "broken heart".
 animation303
Msg: 88
untrue profiles
Posted: 12/19/2008 8:41:30 AM
Its like the truth to John Gabriel's Greater Internet F*ckwad Theory

Normal Person + Anonymity + Audience = Total F*ckwad

Pardon my french
 4408joseph
Msg: 90
view profile
History
untrue profiles
Posted: 12/19/2008 9:39:45 AM
Good Lawrd,FFS

Phish with your head,

Untrue profiles???

Yea, I got a serious Bytche slap when I came here a few years back, but come-on.

Look at your government(US) your garage mechanic, contractors, ....Cripes even your $24.99 phone bill thats really 50 bucks with all the hidden and NON-disclosed and hidden stuff.

Just like the real world....ask questions, ask questions, ask questions....

Like can I get an email, a cell number, a recent picture, a meeting within means... any of these lead to more questions?????

MOVE-on...Next

hikerman6001
Msg: 99
untrue profiles
Posted: 12/28/2008 5:35:52 PM
sorry to hear about all the untruths ... its to bad there so many dishonest individuals ... to me its better 100% true then caught in a lie .... honesty makes good companionship
 misszmsz
Msg: 100
untrue profiles
Posted: 12/29/2008 3:40:38 PM
The best thing to do is to meet them very soon after the introduction, this way you can avoid the pitfalls of becoming to involved with a fantasy image you have created in your mind by reading too much into their profile.

I constantly travel so it makes it easier to be able to meet quickly. Then I decide if I want a second date and make arrangements for when I am in town again.
 Patrickthname
Msg: 101
untrue profiles
Posted: 12/29/2008 3:43:15 PM
Plenty of women out there that love to play games and are just out for a daily ego boost, it's sickening!
 cfb62
Msg: 103
view profile
History
untrue profiles
Posted: 1/6/2009 1:04:15 PM
How people see themselves vs how others see them is rarely the same.
I've yet to see a profile that reads, "Arrogant jerk looking for arm candy to boss around", yet I've gone on dates with a few of them from here.
 kenfla38
Msg: 104
untrue profiles
Posted: 1/6/2009 1:45:37 PM
It's human nature to put your best foot forward... to present yourself in the "best light possible".... BUT many people online take it wayyy too far.

Age: ...If he/she claims to be 32, but looks 45 and in conversation mentions a recent 25 year reunion, you have reason to be suspicious.

Married Women/Men (an issue more for the women on this site) will tend to be secretive, unavailable, have to cancel dates at the last minute... and drop several hints along the way which should at least make you suspicious. There aren't any guaranteed ways to tell online, or on the phone (but watch for caller ID names/numbers), but there are numerous web resources where a basic search will pull up quite a bit of information including date of birth, facebook pages, etc... Make sure everything you find 'jives" with what you were told.

PICTURES: ...While no one is going to post a picture of themselves they don't like... IT'S REASONABLE TO EXPECT those pictures to look like them, be relatively recent, and be recognizable as the person you're going to meet... Like many of you, I've run across 10 year old pictures, pictures taken before 50 pounds was added, "Glamour Shots" which look nothing that person's "normal look".

While pictures of your dog, cat, favorite vacation spots, friends... you as a redhed, then a burnette, then a blonde may each be good pictures... THIS IS A DATING SITE. Few on here want to see "good pictures"... WE WANT TO SEE WHO WILL BE COMING TO MEET US AT THE RESTAURANT.

...If you're a blonde with short hair, post a picture to that effect. If you're 200 lbs, don't post an old high school picture of when you were 120lbs... If the person looks very different in several pictures, or you really can't see that person well in the pictures, it's reasonable to courteously ask for a few recent, clear pictures... If the other person is unwilling, or makes a big issue out of your request... YOU HAVE YOUR ANSWER and your suspicious are confirmed (or so I've found to almost always be the case).

Honesty is the best policy... If you lie, you might get a few dates, but ULTIMATELY you'll have to come clean... and the other person will then wonder what else you're hiding or lying about...

best wishes
 Patrickthname
Msg: 105
untrue profiles
Posted: 1/8/2009 3:43:31 AM
You aren't arm candy...just same ole, same ole!
 Discerning Virtuosa
Msg: 106
untrue profiles
Posted: 1/9/2009 2:32:14 PM
patrick5164 said: You aren't arm candy...just same ole, same ole!

patrick5164 said: Plenty of women out there that love to play games and are just out for a daily ego boost, it's sickening!

This coming from someone who, out of the blue today sends me a private email initiating contact saying "No Thanks", when I've never emailed him before or asked him, OR OFFERED him anything. Seems to me like someone is getting his ego boost from trying put women in their place. He says he is "fun to be around" and "not arrogant" in his profile.
Sounds pretty arrogant to me when you are going out of your way to hurl personal insults both privately and on the forums at women who have done nothing to you and have not initiated contact with you, patrick5164. It's fine if you think most females are beneath your standards (too fat, too ugly, too outspoken, or whatever), but just leave us alone and move on then.

coolcatx
Msg: 109
view profile
History
untrue profiles
Posted: 1/10/2009 10:57:51 AM
hi,all i can say is.....wellcome to life!! I genuinely believe that the only person i can trust is myself,and i am the only person who wont let myself down.People lie and cheat online as much as in real life.Some people do it because they are pathological liars,some people do it for fun,and some people and plain evil.There are risks in everything in life.Even getting to know someone,you can later find out they all theyve given you is B.S,(believe me,i know!!).So its up to the individual if they want to take that chance...
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > untrue profiles