Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Michigan  > Irish Music in Detroit area?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 RDtoo
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Irish Music in Detroit area?Page 1 of 1    
Anyone know of any good places to hear Irish music in the Detroit area? Years ago we used to go out to Cowleys Old Village Inn and hear a band called Blackthorn. It was a great time. They are still around and play at a place in Berkley called "O"Maras" or something like that, but it dosen't have the same atmosphere, though they do serve Blue Cheese Macaroni, and are just down the street from the Redcoat Tavern!!!
Anyways, I don't know if there are enough Irish Music lovers on here to hold a POF event at an Irish bar, but if you know any good places, I would love to hear about it. Thanks.
 **Tee**
Msg: 2
Irish Music in Detroit area?
Posted: 10/19/2008 2:05:55 AM
www.corktownpub.com

foransirishpub.com

www.oldshillelagh.com/

Those are just a few that came up when I searched on google, I'm sure you could check out their websites and find what you're looking for.
 veloise
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 10/19/2008 6:52:48 AM
A couple of folk music groups where I used to play are these:
Paint Creek Folklore Society, Silver Strings Dulcimer Society

Check out their websites, where they have links to various folkie/Irish performances and venues around the metro.

HTH
 RDtoo
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 10/19/2008 11:08:07 AM
I used to go to the Old Shillelagh for St. Patricks Day and they would have some Irish music, but it was usually drowned out by the pop band elsewhere in the bar. I discovered long ago that so-called Irish pubs are more sports bars than havens for Irish music lovers, and that St. Patricks Day consists of an excuse for people to get drunk and request hearing "the Unicorn" over and over and think they are being Irish. Incidentally, when I am talking Irish music I am not referring to the "Danny Boy" variety. There is some powerful and beautiful music that is Irish, and yes, it is extremely danceable.

Thanks for your research, I will look into these suggestions.
 veloise
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 10/20/2008 9:07:28 PM
Thought of another resource. Matt Watroba, who heads the folk show programming on WDET, has an extensive website, and it lists clubs and performers and schedules.
folkslikeus dot org
 kathywik2
Msg: 6
Posted: 10/22/2008 8:11:49 PM
I wonder did you get a chance to catch Celtic Thunder at the Fox on the 14th - AWESOME irish music!! Its one of my favorite types of music! I am going to check out the .com addresses and see where that leads me!

Kathy
 RDtoo
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 10/22/2008 11:06:41 PM
Would have loved to have seen Celtic Thunder. My employers had other plans for me.

There is an Irish bar in Ann Arbor that has Celtic jam sessions on Sunday evenings. Can't think of the name of the place off-hand. I have been meaning to try it sometime. There is a place in Windsor called Patrick O'Ryans that used to bring in some phenomenal Celtic bands. Haven't been there in a few years so I have no idea if they still do that.

Then there is the Gaelic League down by the old Tiger Stadium. They have a Celtic New Years party sometime around Halloween that is pretty fun.
 veloise
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 10/23/2008 5:00:58 AM

There is an Irish bar in Ann Arbor that has Celtic jam sessions on Sunday evenings. Can't think of the name of the place off-hand. I have been meaning to try it sometime.

Connor O'Neill's. (Never went to that one; have been to one on Weds at Grizzly Peak...ages ago before moving west).

Hey, my internet search for that session uncovered a site called thesession dot org. Searchable listings (worldwide!!). Places in Novi, Livonia, Plymouth, several in the Corktown area.

HTH
 **Tee**
Msg: 10
Posted: 10/23/2008 10:06:09 AM

There is a place in Windsor called Patrick O'Ryans that used to bring in some phenomenal Celtic bands. Haven't been there in a few years so I have no idea if they still do that.

It is still there...unfortunately, only for the next week.
Apparently the building will be torn down due to a new development in the downtown area...Maybe you can try Kildare House. If I'm not mistaken, I'm pretty sure they also have Celtic bands playing..
 kathywik2
Msg: 11
Posted: 10/23/2008 6:44:50 PM
That might call for a full night out! Thanks for the tips!
 RDtoo
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 10/24/2008 12:04:43 AM
Bad Mustang, I went into the Four Green Fields a few years back but they didn't have any Irish music playing. It is near the Red Coat Tavern so maybe I can give it another try after one of those Red Coat burgers of course.

Sorry to hear about Patrick O"Ryans. It was a great place. I actually got to meet and party with my favorite Celtic band there many years ago, Great Big Sea.

Conor O'Neils, that's it. I hear sunday evenings are great with all sorts of fiddles, bohrans and every other kind of Irish music instrument.

I have heard that the Tipperary Pub along the Southfield Freeway service drive has good Irish music at times. And there is supposed to be a place called Annie McPhee's out in Ortonville or someplace in that direction that does the Scottish thing. I actually went to a Scottish dinner once and got to taste Haggis. It was kind of like eating crunchy ham salad.
 RDtoo
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 3/29/2009 1:26:30 AM
That reminds me of a friend of mine who went to Edinborough, Scotland on his honeymoon. I asked him if he heard any good Celtic music when he was there and he said all he heard was american rap music. I have heard that Celtic culture is more alive in Atlantic Canada than it is in the British Isles.

I am always looking for more places to hear Irish music, so keep the suggestions coming.
 veloise
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 4/11/2009 4:09:34 PM
Not the "D" but if you are ever in GR, stop by the Black Rose on Sunday nights. We have a lively session starting at 7 pm. Great good fun, even some singing. "Well, it's no, ane, neverrrr...."
 RDtoo
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 4/12/2009 12:15:50 AM
I heard of a place on 8 mile called "the Friendly sons of St. Patrick" that is a real Irish bar. Anyone ever drop in there? Then there was that place in Ferndale(?) that had a marathon session of people singing "Danny Boy". I was tempted to go, but never got around to it.

Kathywik, I was wondering if you ever checked out any of the suggestions? You seemed especially interested.
 MiOutdoorsman
Msg: 17
Posted: 4/12/2009 11:17:41 AM
Im Scotish not Irish, but I was going to look into having a party the weekend of the Alma Highland Festival.

I think this could be a good Ideal RDtoo................Maybe we could get more than just me to wear a kilt to one of these events...........LOL
 RDtoo
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 4/12/2009 1:05:02 PM
I love Scottish music too! I like most Celtic style music. Always wanted to attend that festival up in Alma, but no luck so far. I looked into buying a kilt once. Could not believe how expensive they were.

When I began this thread I was hoping there would be enough interest to have a POF event at a real Irish place, or Scottish..lol. There is nothing more fun than listening to a hot Celtic band doing there thing. I guess not enough people have been enlightened to this....
 MiOutdoorsman
Msg: 19
Posted: 4/12/2009 7:29:15 PM
I saw a band not long ago with a new age celtic feel and they were great. I think most people would have found some of their music great for dancing. I forgot the name so can not look into getting them for one. RDtoo if you can get one going in your neck of the woods let me know I would be glad to help. Would have to be a Sat nite though because I work Sat mornings. If I get more detail on putting one on will let everyone know.
 veloise
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 4/14/2009 8:31:06 AM

Then there was that place in Ferndale(?) that had a marathon session of people singing "Danny Boy".

A.J.'s Cafe; the "Danny Boy" event was a one-time deal. (See, there is a god.)
More recently the owner was trying to set a Guiness record for round-the clock performances in support of the auto industry.
 RDtoo
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 6/13/2012 12:45:56 AM
I thought I would revive this thread and see if any new Irish venues have popped up.
Show ALL Forums  > Michigan  > Irish Music in Detroit area?