Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Why should I believe in aliens?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Irespire
Msg: 1
Why should I believe in aliens?Page 1 of 14    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14)
After all, if there was some kind of cover-up, or if aliens were actually visiting Earth, the evidence for such would be blatantly obvious and accepted by everyone, especially mainstream scientific organizations. People are too open minded to ignore strong evidence. Until extraterrestrials land on the White House lawn, I shall not believe in them.
 Vancer
Msg: 2
Why should I believe in aliens?
Posted: 10/20/2008 10:17:40 PM
I believe if aliens are visiting earth the people bent on proving aliens exist, are being out played by those covering it up.
Any cover up folks couldn't be the same people running our countries. Those people are too transparent.
 SimplyComplicatedMind
Msg: 3
Posted: 10/20/2008 11:04:39 PM
I'm going to quote Sir Arthur C. Clarke here, "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." I would imagine that aliens capable of interstellar travel would have some pretty advanced technology.
 TheLimey
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 10/20/2008 11:25:37 PM
Are we supposed to care?
 Mominatrix
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 10/20/2008 11:46:19 PM
I don't recall trying to force you to believe in aliens? Was I drinking?

The universe is a pretty big place, with millions of stars and planets. If they are no aliens, it's a colossal waste of space.
 Vancer
Msg: 6
Posted: 10/21/2008 12:28:28 AM
The universe is so old we may not even exist within the same window of opportunity to interact, and because information takes such a long time to travel across the universe, we may not even be able to know of each other until it is way too late.
 Jiperly
Msg: 7
Posted: 10/21/2008 12:41:49 AM
>>>If they are no aliens, it's a colossal waste of space.

Ah, but the Universe doesn't need to justify its existence- it merely is, and its through observing the universe that real answers will be found.

>>>The universe is so old we may not even exist within the same window of opportunity to interact

Don't forget- while the universe is ancient, it is always changing- the number of stars can quickly become irrelevant the moment you remember that, after a point, the system could become cold and dark, or be completely annihilated. Some solar systems cannot support life because they simply do not have the materials- others could be too harsh, too hot, too cold, too gaseous, too rocky, ect- Life is given a very brief moment in Galactic time to appear, and it could just as quickly be extinguished
 K4N4D14N
Msg: 8
Posted: 10/21/2008 1:08:14 AM
Why Should'nt you believe in aliens?
 Jiperly
Msg: 9
Posted: 10/21/2008 1:21:10 AM
Because there is no proof they exist.

Seriously, thats like asking why shouldn't you believe in leprechauns
 Vancer
Msg: 10
Posted: 10/21/2008 2:18:29 AM
Aliens believe in you Jiperly. They believe in you.
It's a 2 way street, and they are too shy to make the first move.

I heard twirling our hair is a subtle way of showing them we are interested.
 Hardin9
Msg: 11
Posted: 10/21/2008 3:46:46 AM
It depends on whether you believe the evidence. How credible is the evidence to you?

dysfunction_junction
Msg: 12
Posted: 10/21/2008 4:40:10 AM
do you have a problem with the idea of aliens from the pleiades or do you have a problem with the idea of black budget technology? because i see these as two entirely different issues although they appear to be the same thing.
 AwP
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 10/21/2008 4:59:17 AM
What, you think there's nobody from Mexico here? Lol, just kidding...
You shouldn't believe in aliens, at least not in the anal probing, cattle mutilating, Roswell kinda way. You should believe in aliens on other planets though, just because the odds are well in the favor of there being other life somewhere out there. Even the robot that took over Stephan Hawkings brain believes in life on other planets.
 Thatguy67
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 10/21/2008 5:13:34 AM
Maybe the aliens don't believe in us!
 Irespire
Msg: 15
Posted: 10/21/2008 7:18:10 AM
Yeah, only accept hard scientific proof accepted by mainstream scientific organizations before you even entertain the idea of anything!
 desertrhino
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 10/21/2008 7:25:44 AM

Yeah, only accept hard scientific proof accepted by mainstream scientific organizations before you even entertain the idea of anything!

This one could not be kept secret. It's too big, and SOMEONE would get their $10 million for spilling their guts.
 Gangster Kitten
Msg: 17
Posted: 10/21/2008 8:58:30 AM
Well... What constitutes an alien existence, exactly? If you simply mean a life-form on another planet...

haven't we discovered microscopic simple organisms on other planets? Or am I wrong on that?

I mean, if it were true that we have found simple amoebas and single-celled organisms, indiginous to mars or venus, technically, doesn't that mean aliens have been proven to exist? (not saying we have for sure, I could be wrong and this could be moot).

Is it *that* much of a stretch to think that, somewhere, in a galaxy far far away, in a zipcode only George Lucas knows... There is some form of a more complex organism... Maybe, we're the aliens with the super advanced technology, and some aliens billions of lightyears away are more like primitive tribes?

I really don't think it's a stretch. I do believe in aliens. But I doubt we'll ever meet, I doubt they're little green men with massive heads, and I doubt they abduct our livestock and probe the paranoid schizophrenics living in a dumpster in New York.
 zoretta
Msg: 18
Posted: 10/21/2008 9:40:41 AM
Who says you should?

“This one could not be kept secret. It's too big, and SOMEONE would get their $10 million for spilling their guts.”

Well, there have been a couple men who apparently did spill their guts, but they were murdered and I don't think their families got any $$. William Cooper and Phil Schneider. Check 'em out and decide for yourself. Me.... well, I'm still searching for more info.
 sarsss
Msg: 19
Posted: 10/21/2008 11:04:48 AM
I have to believe in myself... ... oh, other planet aliens maybe exist as single cell organisms of the size of the bacteria somewhere between the air border or the earth and venus or mars...... ...intelligent life, yet to be found on earth!!!... Just kidding!!!
 INTOART
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 10/21/2008 11:24:47 AM

Until extraterrestrials land on the White House lawn, I shall not believe in them.

Good decision. As for the question in the thread title, the simple answer is that you shouldn't. I have little doubt that life exists elsewhere, but the probability of an intelligence capable of bridging interstellar distances arising within the lifetime of the human race, noticing us, becoming sufficiently interested in us to visit, and actually getting here while we are still around is virtually zero.
 WhiteWaterRogue
Msg: 21
Posted: 10/21/2008 11:32:11 AM
Ah, the genius of man thinking HE is the pinnacle of all being.

I have little doubt, that in a big-ol place like the universe, old as all hell too, that life, maybe not as we know it, does exist elsewhere and that it very well could be completely capable and vastly more intellegent than beings that think they are the shit.
 Jiperly
Msg: 22
Posted: 10/21/2008 12:35:00 PM
>>>haven't we discovered microscopic simple organisms on other planets? Or am I wrong on that?

Nope, but homegrown microbes have piggy backed onto other planets we've sent probes to- by exploring space, we accidentally are seeding life(assuming they survive the environment)- exciting stuff
 Phoebus2k9
Msg: 23
Posted: 10/21/2008 12:55:30 PM

I have little doubt that life exists elsewhere, but the probability of an intelligence capable of bridging interstellar distances arising within the lifetime of the human race, noticing us, becoming sufficiently interested in us to visit, and actually getting here while we are still around is virtually zero.

If this is what most ppl think then i would have to say it is most arrogant additude to have. How can you even begin to think this at all. Just think about how really young this planet could be ? There are most likely billions of planets which are billions of years older then we are. For man to think he is alone, has got to be the most ignorant thing to come to mind.

Just because you cannot hold the evidence in your hands or see it on T.V does not mean it does not exist. I mean i have never been to Australia but that doesnt make it not exist
 corindan
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 10/21/2008 12:56:57 PM
I may be a bit skeptical about aliens having visited Earth. However, I am convinced that aliens exist. There are billions OF billions of galaxies, each with billions OF billion of suns, and that is just in the KNOWN regions of space. The unknown regions probably contain MORE. Out of all of that, there has to be intelligent life on at least one other planet, around at least one other sun. If God created it all, why create so much, only to put life on one measly little planet in the backwater regions of the universe? It seems logical to assume that if God created so much, He did so for a reason, and so also created other intelligent life elsewhere. If evolution created everything, by chance, then the rest of the universe has existed longer than we have. So, there has been more time, more chance, and more evolution, elsewhere. The odds are, then, that intelligent life evolved somewhere else even before it evolved here. Whether you believe in creationism, or evolution, you have to-if you are intelligent-admit that the odds favor the existance of extra-terrestrial intelligences....somewhere, sometime. That does not mean that those intelligences have been here...or that they have not been here. That is a seperate issue. Logically, the odds say that ETI does exist.
 corindan
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 10/21/2008 1:01:59 PM
Actually, Viking discovered microbes on Mars, then sterilized the sample, and tested it again, and found no signs of life, and then reported no life on Mars. The sterilization killed the microbes that were found on the initial test.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Why should I believe in aliens?