Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > POF says about a quarter of ladies make first contact.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Realistically
Msg: 1
view profile
History
POF says about a quarter of ladies make first contact.Page 1 of 1    
I saw a note on a POF that said about a quater of ladies make first contact. It seems that in 2008 with all of the "equaity" talk that goes around it would have been higher. What are the reasons for ladies not making first contact. Interested to hear what makes it so.
 ImAHotMess
Msg: 2
POF says about a quarter of ladies make first contact.
Posted: 10/27/2008 2:10:08 PM
On RARE occasion I will contact a man. I normally view the profiles of those who contact me only. I do not "search" or look for anyone. I have a pretty extensive and blunt profile, so I like to let the guys do the contacting. Because I mean 110% of what I say. And some guys simply can not handle me. If I make the contact first, someone must have REALLY impressed me. It has NOTHING to do with equality. .I think but I can not speak for other women, maybe some or more shy about it. If I see something I want, I am going for it. We only live once. :)
 CHAOTICBEAUTINESS
Msg: 3
Posted: 10/27/2008 3:52:55 PM
Because the men usually beat us to the first contact.
 theforumfiend
Msg: 4
Posted: 10/27/2008 4:37:03 PM
I think Kyn pretty much said it all, but just in case let me put it to you this way. Should I see a man that I find interesting I actually read his profile. If something in it says that he wouldn't be interested in me there is not point in my wasting his time. Just because I see someone I find pleasing to my eyes does not mean we'd be compatible.

Oh, and there's this other thing. Despite hearing how much men want to be contacted by women, I'm not finding that to be a good thing because many men get this idea that women that approach them are desperate and/or "easy".
 *lilacwine*
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 10/27/2008 4:53:40 PM
Probably for the same reason men don't. Fear of rejection.
 setuid
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 10/27/2008 7:08:25 PM
I would most-definitely disagree with that statistic, unless it is age-bounded. I think I've initiated contact with maybe 200 separate people here on POF, and have had maybe 3-4 people initiate contact with me (not reciprocate, but initiate). So what's that... 2%. Nowhere near a 25% percentile (50 women).

It's completely dependent upon age, photos, seasons and too many factors to name. A blanket 25% is just downright unbelievable.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 7
Posted: 10/27/2008 8:08:08 PM
I'm one of the 25% that does.

What are the reasons for ladies not making first contact. Interested to hear what makes it so.

In my case not making contact could only be because I'm not interested, or the person is somehow outside my criteria for being a viable option (age, distance, marital status, etc).
 Realistically
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 10/27/2008 8:09:59 PM
There are some really good points brought up by all of you. I would have guessed it was that men are aggressive in their pursuit but I would have been incorrect.

I too read a profile before responding. After all the person that wrote it put some time, effort and thought into it so I should give them some of my time to read it prior to just firing off an email. I have seen pics and been attracted to the physical and then NOT emailed because the profile desuaded me or because it was a one liner.
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > POF says about a quarter of ladies make first contact.