Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > What gives one person the desire and determination of ten people?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 scorpiomover
Msg: 4
view profile
History
What gives one person the desire and determination of ten people?Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Both. But it depends on what you are talking about. I know some people who have 10 times my desire and determination in some areas of their life, and who regard me as having 10 times their desire and determination in some other areas of their life. But I suggest you google Albert Bundera and read up on Self-Efficacy. Bundera noticed that those who had a lot of motivation in a subject, tended to believe that they would succeed, and those who lacked motivation in a subject, tended to believe that they would fail. In other words, how much motivation you put into something is dependent on how much you believe you will succeed, even before you've started.

You can change your attitude and your beliefs, by re-examining your attitudes and your beliefs, and seeing where they can be made more realistic, and in so doing, you are likely to find out if you can succeed, and develop a greater motivation as a result of your new beliefs and attitudes.
 TheLimey
Msg: 5
view profile
History
What gives one person the desire and determination of ten people?
Posted: 11/2/2008 12:21:51 PM
I would guess Methamphetamine Sulphate.... ?
 webweebil
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 11/2/2008 1:16:39 PM
Passion. And now I have to add more words to fulfill the word count criteria... <----- gratuitous emoticon
 Lynsteph74
Msg: 10
Posted: 11/2/2008 7:03:33 PM
Desire-I think is more of a nurture thing, we seek those that remind us of our parents, in some sick way, LOl, sad but gerneally true.

Because of my 2 children, I will say that I honestly, truly believe that determination and stubborness are inbred, genetic, and I am in trouble when my youngest hits her teen years, LOL.
 transcend
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 11/3/2008 2:19:15 AM
to elicit such an outsized response would require engaging every part of a person.
To generate and focus that level of energy would of necessity involve the physical mental and emotional aspects combining in unison. Certainly a rare event to observe but a fantastic one to experience.
 minkhunter
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 11/26/2008 10:58:45 AM
SPINACH. WELL BLOW ME DOWN.
 inetuse
Msg: 47
Posted: 12/9/2008 3:15:09 PM
A strong desire leads to a strong determination. Life is the pursuit of goals. Without desiring some sort of goal you would lose motivation and become an empty, barren shell. No desire = no determination.
 Merrylass
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 1/12/2009 7:37:20 AM

I do not wholly agree with the thought that people are chosing to be unhappy!

No, and you shouldn't because that's the whole 'secret' garbage. Nor should you believe that all life is 'choice'. It's a facile and somewhat immature, not to mention wholly lacking in compassion, view of human nature.

Because it is up to them to move through it.. to WANT to...

Again, horsefeathers. Ellis (Albert) does say that a lot of people make themselves unhappy and that is true however in order to do differently requires that someone
1- know the situation is changeable
2- understand how to change the situation
3-not feel so bad that they believe change is impossible

Scorpiomover, it's Bandera, not Bundera and for sure self-efficacy has a lot to do with it.

There's rarely a single reason anything happens. People who achieve great things often have passion (anybody hear Steven Spielberg talk about how and why he got into movies?). Others have something to prove, often because of how they were treated in childhood. Still others are compulsive - the head of Viacom said that his life is about winning deals. Guy lives in the same house he's always had and never takes vacations - all his billions don't free him from the compulsive need to continue accumulating cash.

The question, OP, is why do you want to know?
 Etownboy79
Msg: 53
Posted: 1/15/2009 12:21:18 AM
One person might be ambitious about making money while another cares more about personal relationships. When we see the success of the money maker, which is easily identified since wealth is a number, we would say he is "driven". However, it is harder to gauge the success of the one who cares about personal relationships without knowing him, thus he is not recognized as being as determined as the money maker. Maybe it's all relative to what you're looking for, and we're all for the most part equally passionate, but we value different things?
 Etownboy79
Msg: 54
Posted: 1/15/2009 11:49:38 PM

Once when some crazy nieghbours and a few cops were going to shoot
the very bear that harmed my dog...i rambo'd it threw the back woods
to stand between them and the bear.....rambling god knows what till they
retreated.

That's not determined. That's crazy.
 DameWrite
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 4/4/2013 8:36:20 PM
nurtured nature.

If we believe we can or have to, we will be willing to tap into our brain chemical power to make it happen for us. We can learn and work our body to give what us what we need or desire. (within reason, only rarely, seemingly beyond reason).

There are limits though so we have to be a realistic about how the laws of physics work.

If we over do it, our body's and brains will crash like an addicts.

Know those brain chemicals and work them! (or supplement them).
 JustDukky
Msg: 57
Posted: 4/6/2013 2:04:55 PM
FEARLESS CONFIDENCE...The knowledge that you will succeed (or possibly die trying, but not worry about such trivia)

That gives you more than the desire & determination of ten people...It puts the power of life itself behind you and makes the hardest of tasks seem easy.
 billingsmason
Msg: 58
Posted: 4/6/2013 10:01:06 PM
what gives one person tenacity?

take a look at dog breeds.
some are heelers, some retrievers, some shepherds, some pointers, or poodles, pugs, pinschers, and the list goes on and on......

the pit bull is the most tenacious dog alive. what makes them that way? breeding. you cannot teach that kind of focus, control, devotion or sacrifice. it's what I love about them.

people are the same.... just wired differently. different animals altogether.
 DameWrite
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 4/7/2013 2:38:59 AM
agreed billing.

but you can try to "act like" a pit if you are a different breed and it WILL help ...right Dukky?
 JustDukky
Msg: 61
Posted: 4/7/2013 5:39:56 PM

...right Dukky?

Considering that we are what we do, I'd say that we become what we act like, so "play acting" as though you are what you most admire turns you into that very thing (unless you are overcome by "stage fright" and blow the performance.) ;)
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > What gives one person the desire and determination of ten people?