Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sex and Dating  > What is your definition of sex?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ron62449
Msg: 1
What is your definition of sex?Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Over the years the definition has changed some.
When I was younger it meant any nude encounter
or even sleeping together. Now some people don’t
even consider oral sex as sex. Only intercourse is sex,
and sleeping together, without sex, is common. How far does cuddling go?

How do you see it? Does religion or values have any
thing on you decision?
 Halokitty™
Msg: 3
What is your definition of sex?
Posted: 11/4/2008 2:31:23 PM
Sex, to me, is sexual penetration of the vagina by a penis.
Oral sex, is foreplay. I've never considered it as "sex" per se.
 ~JustSimplyMe~
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 11/4/2008 2:59:49 PM
Some people don't consider oral sex as sex. What is it then?

Foreplay?
If a guy ate your cookie....would you thank him for the great sex if that's all that happened?
If you gave him a bj....would you consider that as 'having sex'??
My definition is the sames as halokitty's
 Jim978
Msg: 5
Posted: 11/4/2008 3:35:15 PM
If "oral sex" isn't "sex" then why is the word sex in there? And if "sex" is only the act of penetration of the vagina, that pretty much precludes anal sex from being considered sex too, right?

It seems to me that people are creating an awfully narrow definition just to avoid labeling something as sex. Why? Foreplay is one of several stages of sex, not a seperate concept.

If you are doing something that involves the genitals of another person for the purposes of pleasure of either person involved, it's sex.
 GreenEyesGoldenLocks
Msg: 6
Posted: 11/4/2008 3:53:17 PM
its amazing what people will redefine in order to make themselves feel better about the situation.. teens running around having anal and oral sex but calling themselves virgins.. yes they may technically be one but chaste not so much. sex is anything that involves bodily fluids being exchanged.
 OneMoreTimeWithFeeling
Msg: 7
Posted: 11/4/2008 4:02:29 PM
I agree with the two posters above me. Why are people trying to rebuild the wheel with definitions???

If it's involving genitals, yes it's sex. A hand job is sex, a bj is sex, putting your mouth on someone's genitals is sex. Putting your fingers, hands, fist, foot, etc into someone else, is sex. Putting your genitals into another human's (or animals) orifice is sex. I don't know why this is such a hard concept. It's not like those things have changed in the last century or so. They may not be intercourse, but they are still sex anyway you slice it.
 Halokitty™
Msg: 11
Posted: 11/4/2008 4:21:11 PM
sex is anything that involves bodily fluids being exchanged.

In that vein, are you having sex when you kiss someone? Saliva is a bodily fluid. What about if you hug a friend after a sweaty work out at the gym. Sweat is a bodily fluid.

Sexual intercourse is defined as penetration of the vagina by a penis. I may be too clinical in my viewpoints, but that is how I view it. Oral is not sex in my opinion; it's foreplay. Anal is just.. well I don't participate in it so I can't give my opinion on it.

Do you consider fingering to be sex? What about when you use a dildo? If your partner is using it on you - are you still "having sex" with your partner?
 OneMoreTimeWithFeeling
Msg: 12
Posted: 11/4/2008 4:25:48 PM

Do you consider fingering to be sex? What about when you use a dildo? If your partner is using it on you - are you still "having sex" with your partner?

Yes to all of the above.

With your logic, lesbians aren't having sex then. Lesbians can't stick genitals into each other, they use their fingers, dildos, etc, by your definition, they don't have sex. Sorry Lesbians, you're doing it wrong. Pack up and go home now.
 Jim978
Msg: 13
Posted: 11/4/2008 4:27:22 PM
Sexual intercourse is defined as penetration of the vagina by a penis.

??? Defined by whom???

From Merriam-Webster:

Main Entry: in·ter·course
Function: noun
1: connection or dealings between persons or groups
2: exchange especially of thoughts or feelings : communion
3: physical sexual contact between individuals that involves the genitalia of at least one person (anal intercourse) (oral intercourse) ; especially : sexual intercourse
 SweetSmartNSassy2
Msg: 14
Posted: 11/4/2008 4:36:11 PM
OneMoreTimeWithFeeling - I agree with your post.

but - FEET? OUCH!!!
 spicynicegirl
Msg: 15
Posted: 11/4/2008 4:43:29 PM
I agree with Halokitty. Oral sex is a form of foreplay although it's a little more than that.................you could be imagining that you're eating a hamburger at McDonalds as I'm sure alot of people have before (referring to a comment made by one of the posters).

Sex to me is when the man penetrates you or for those lesbians when your girlfriend uses a strap on to penetrate you!
 canoist
Msg: 16
Posted: 11/4/2008 4:49:00 PM
This really is a matter of semantics.

Sex defined as an exchange of bodily fluids? No. That rules out masturbation, exhibitionism, coitus interuptus, and any non-contact act. And it rules in spitting at someone, contact with a sweaty person - eg many sports, and other non-sexual acts.

Oral sex and anal sex HAVE to be considered sex. Its in the name! And Lesbians have sex, so its not always about penetration.

I say "sex" is any act which involves genitals and pleasure. Oops. I just ruled out rape. Thats ok, I've already ruled it out of my life.

Canoist
 MsMicki
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 11/4/2008 4:49:28 PM
Oral sex can be foreplay....but it can also can be something one does to bring their partner to completion...
Is it still foreplay if you orgasm?
and to be nit-picky....when a man is recieving oral sex.....he is penetrating a womans mouth.....

I'm with the other posters on this one.....oral sex and anal sex.....are sex.
 Janice711
Msg: 20
Posted: 11/4/2008 5:10:15 PM
Depends on who is asking..... and WHY.....
 Leeanne
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 11/4/2008 6:42:39 PM
Any act between two people - for the purpose of sexual arousal - involving gratification - usually leading to orgasm. Behaviours directly involving stimulation and arousal!
 windloverr
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 11/4/2008 6:54:57 PM

I think any involvement with genitalia is sex , whether it's penetration, hand job, blow job, kissy , touchy, feely, rubby, sucky, licky .... yeah, especially if someone has a happy ending.

Completely agree. Hell, I've had very enjoyable and fulfilling sex fully clothed!
I'm in love!

I wanna know my rights. Who's asking? Who's watching? Does somebody else have to be present? If I pull our without cumming, does it still count? Whose mouth goes where? What if my eyes are closed? What if she refuses to accept said "bodily fluids" thereby negating the "exchange"?

If you would scramble for cover, stutter, and be embarrassed if your mom walked in...you were probably having sex.
 SITH_16
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 11/4/2008 9:04:15 PM
I always figured there were degrees to sex. You know, the first base, second base, third base, homerun thing.

I would consider any touching of my penis by a woman is some type of sex. The same goes for if I touch her vag.
 Banter-er
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 11/4/2008 10:04:43 PM
I'm sure every generation tries to tackle this question. I've read through this thread, and think many might agree with the definition I've adapted as my own.

Many years ago, in a Sexual Behaviour course I attended at University, the same question was raised. Below is what we came up with. This was after much discussion of the words involved, their intent and meaning, etc. In my opinion, it stands the test of debate.

Mutual. Intentional. Sexual Arousal.

What say you?
 canoist
Msg: 32
Posted: 11/5/2008 8:50:59 PM
banterista says:

But I must point out that this excludes masturbation and some forms of exhibitionism.

How 'bout "Intentional sexual arousal"
 Jim978
Msg: 33
Posted: 11/6/2008 3:23:34 AM

Technically he wasn't lying when he said he 'didn't have sexual relations...', because from a *legal* standpoint oral sex isn't considered sex, only p.enis-in-v.agina-sex is.

What *legal* definition is that? I know of no legal definition of what is or isn't sex in any U.S. jurisdiction. There are laws that cover (or have covered) sodomy, coitus, rape, sexual assault, etc... but those are all specific sexually related acts. They don't cover the full spectrum of sex however.

From a legal perspective, oral sex falls under sodomy (Anal or oral intercourse between human beings, or any sexual relations between a human being and an animal.).
 Jim978
Msg: 34
Posted: 11/6/2008 3:24:23 AM

Even if he had lied, it wouldn't have been lying. It's called "executive privilege." But I suppose that's just splitting hairs.

Perhaps that's not the expression I was looking for...

Errr... no. Most certianly not the proper term!
 The Magician
Msg: 35
Posted: 11/6/2008 10:43:40 AM

So, let's see . . . if you're in an exclusive relationship, you would have any problem with your SO giving someone else oral? It would be nothing more than giving someone a kiss? Hmmmmm. I don't think I could handle a relationship in which my SO thought it was okay to do oral or manual on someone other than me.

I believe that fora-reader has hit on the perfect response to this question. It could include a few different instances, but basically is the answer to how sex is defined.

If you were entering a new relationship with a person, and that person was quite forthright describing the partners he/she had given b j's or oral to, or masturbated with, or had otherwise encountered in an intimate matter, would you not, at that point, consider those acts as sex?

If your partner admitted to any of those acts happening with others after you became partners, would you feel differently?

Sex is sex, and has always been sex!
 deerdog1
Msg: 37
Posted: 11/6/2008 11:40:20 AM

Sex is any activity Republicans and Fundamentalist Christians disgustingly deride in public and practice in private.

then making generalizations must be a favorite activity of liberals and atheist .... because they have to try to make themselves feel superior...just kidding ..lol

friend why inject politics and religion in sex .... wait we have established Bill Clinton injected sex into politics ...wait he tried to but it fell on her dress now Im confused

but Me thinks you will find as many conservatives and theist who are open about sex as liberals and atheist

and to answer the Op ...if im trying to get a woman to do it its probably sex
 very happy camper
Msg: 38
Posted: 11/6/2008 12:03:24 PM

Banterista. Say you and I were in an elavator in a department store. You lift your skirt and show me that you are sans panties. You touch yourself.

In this instance, it is mutual in that we are both participating, its intentional, and I for sure know I would be sexually aroused by you.

But we would not have had sex in my view.

However, said experience would be truly appreciated and remembered by me.
 very happy camper
Msg: 39
Posted: 11/6/2008 12:06:49 PM
[qu0te]Sex is any activity Republicans and Fundamentalist Christians disgustingly deride in public and practice in private.

So dancing is sex
Show ALL Forums  > Sex and Dating  > What is your definition of sex?