Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > Sarah Palin's Outfits, continued.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 TimPommell
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Sarah Palin's Outfits, continued. Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Charles,
You always seem to have a penchant for promoting disparaging GOP rumor as fact, and dismissing Liberal fact (and rumors) as baseless, so I'll offer the same response you do:
Can you cite fact? Sources? Credit Card reciepts? Store reciepts? How about a catalog shot showing the prices of the outfits any of the Palin's are wearing? Anything besides an "anonymous source" from within the McCain campaign? How do you know it isn't merely a DNC ploy to discredit any future political credibility for Palin? The "source" has absolutely no credibility whatsoever....
Let's suppose she did buy $150K + worth of clothes, can you PROVE the Democratic campaigns didn't spend the exact same thing or even more for their candidates and families?
Since campaign donations are strictly voluntary, how much of YOUR money do you think the McCain campaign spent on her outfits?
 MacKevinized
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Sarah Palin's Outfits, continued.
Posted: 11/10/2008 5:07:22 AM

Can you cite fact? Sources? Credit Card reciepts? Store reciepts? How about a catalog shot showing the prices of the outfits any of the Palin's are wearing? Anything besides an "anonymous source" from within the McCain campaign?

Being that Charles quoted a Newsweek article, I will assume they have checked the source of the story and had at least 2 other sources to back it up. I'm sure Newsweek will have signed affidavits from the sources on file to protect them from law suits.

She was authorized to spend $15,000 on a few outfits for herself and when the donor got the bill, he was shocked. I'm glad she lost because we now understand what she will do with someone else's credit card.

But those commie pinco liberals should really thank Palin for causing such a split in the republican party. It was a real mavericky move.
 TimPommell
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 11/10/2008 6:06:06 AM
Ahhh Charles, it's so easy to give credibility to rumors when they smear your opposition!
Let's address your position by the numbers....

1.) I can probably find a hundred posts when McCain was ahead in the polls where you claim the media is in the tank for McCain. Never mind the countless rips on Fox News, even though numerous media surveys show their actual news reports to be the ONLY fair and balanced reporting in news media. Simply because a media outlet doesn't exalt your candidate doesn't mean they're biased...
By the way, here’s a confirmed story from a named source that was evident to nearly every that isn’t politically biased:

The op-ed page ran far more laudatory opinion pieces on Obama, 32, than on Sen. John McCain, 13. There were far more negative pieces (58) about McCain than there were about Obama (32), and Obama got the editorial board's endorsement. The Post has several conservative columnists, but not all were gung-ho about McCain.
Stories and photos about Obama in the news pages outnumbered those devoted to McCain. Post reporters, photographers and editors -- like most of the national news media -- found the candidacy of Obama, the first African American major-party nominee, more newsworthy and historic.
Aside from the numbers, the omissions were really what drove most media analysts wild. Howell agreed:
Obama deserved tougher scrutiny than he got, especially of his undergraduate years, his start in Chicago and his relationship with Antoin "Tony" Rezko, who was convicted this year of influence-peddling in Chicago. The Post did nothing on Obama's acknowledged drug use as a teenager.
Oddly, Howell didn't address the Post's coverage of William Ayers and Rev. Jeremiah Wright. Nor did she discuss how the presidential candidate's wives were treated. I wonder why.
However, she did address the difference in vice presidential candidate coverage:
One gaping hole in coverage involved Joe Biden, Obama's running mate. When Gov. Sarah Palin was nominated for vice president, reporters were booking the next flight to Alaska. Some readers thought The Post went over Palin with a fine-tooth comb and neglected Biden. They are right; it was a serious omission.
In the end, mea culpas are wonderful because they assuage a guilty conscience.
However, likely the least-qualified presidential candidate in the modern era was aided and abetted by Obama-loving press outlets like the Post, and admitting this after the fact doesn't lessen the injustice or the lack of journalistic integrity.
The press behaved disgracefully during this campaign, and America will likely be damaged by it for years to come.
As such, media outlets that actually recognize their failures should not just admit them, but also inform the public what they'll do to prevent such negligence in the future.
Anything less is just good marketing.
—Noel Sheppard is the Associate Editor of NewsBusters.

2.) Did I say it's OK because Democrats do it to? No. What I implied is that a grooming / clothing allowance is part of ALL campaigns, a fact that you seem to feel is immaterial. If you actually pay attention to your tone, you infer that anything is acceptable for the Democratic candidates, but not for the Republicans. Personally I think it's an elitist position in that it implies Democrats are beyond reproach, and overlooks the simple fact that not a single mainstream media source (besides Fox News) has even mentioned the FACT that wardrobe and stylist costs are part of campaign budgets. I can think of two words that prove my point: John Edwards.

3.) The campaign (not Palin) can spend the money as they see fit so long as it doesn't violate any campaign laws. Women’s clothes are infinitely more expensive than men’s, and a man can get by with only a few suits, where as any woman will tell you being photographed in the same outfit at two different significant social events is a fashion “faux pas”, so any campaign that didn't make that adjustment is out of touch with reality.

I'm not condoning any opulent expenditures, particularly at such a time when half the voters are wondering if they can afford Wal-mart prices for clothing today... merely pointing out you have media outlets reporting rumors without identifying sources, without offering any proof such as receipts, without even a snap shot of the campaigns actual accounting ledger, and we're supposed to believe the picture the media has painted of Caribou Barbie; the Paris Hilton of the North Slope is both realistic and confirmed...
 TimPommell
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 11/10/2008 6:29:54 AM

Being that Charles quoted a Newsweek article, I will assume they have checked the source of the story and had at least 2 other sources to back it up. I'm sure Newsweek will have signed affidavits from the sources on file to protect them from law suits.
You "assume"?
Once upon a time we all assumed the media was beyond reproach, and then we discovered that just as other human beings, they are susceptible to bias, corruption and fraud. Newsweek may be reputable, as was the CBS Evening News, but let's not mistake reputable for infallible or incorruptible.
I'm not saying the story is false, as you seem to infer, merely pointing out the absence of named sources casts doubt on the credibility of not just this story but all others that fail to provide the names of "confirmed" sources. An example is the reported tape of Obama and Rashid Khalidi. No one outside of the LA Times that has seen the video has come forward, so anything said as to what it may or may not contain cannot be verified without the actual tape in hand, even though an “unnamed source” who viewed the tape for the Times said it did, not a single news source is reporting it as factual ... shouldn't the same premise be applied to the Republican candidates, or are we still hung up on the two sets of rules?

She was authorized to spend $15,000 on a few outfits for herself and when the donor got the bill, he was shocked. I'm glad she lost because we now understand what she will do with someone else's credit card.
Again, unnamed sources....
 MacKevinized
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 11/10/2008 6:51:24 AM

The campaign (not Palin) can spend the money as they see fit so long as it doesn't violate any campaign laws.

WRONG[/B]

Under the McCain-Feingold act for campaign financing

SEC. 313. USE OF CONTRIBUTED AMOUNTS FOR CERTAIN PURPOSES.
(a) PERMITTED USES-

(b) PROHIBITED USE-

(1) IN GENERAL- A contribution or donation described in subsection (a) shall not be converted by any person to personal use.

(2) CONVERSION- For the purposes of paragraph (1), a contribution or donation shall be considered to be converted to personal use if the contribution or amount is used to fulfill any commitment, obligation, or expense of a person that would exist irrespective of the candidate's election campaign or individual's duties as a holder of Federal office, including--

(A) a home mortgage, rent, or utility payment;
(B) a clothing purchase;

So the McCain campaign broke the law McCain helped write.

Check out the complaint against those responsible, The RNC, and it's agents Lisa Kline, Jeff Larson and the McIntosh Company.

http://www.citizensforethics.org/files/FEC%20Complaint.pdf
 cotter
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 11/10/2008 7:13:40 AM
Doggone it ... I can't remember which Sunday political show it was on ... there was a man from Newsweek on there who said that for years now ... every election, they "plant" reporters in the campaigns.

The reporters are only there to gather information ... not allowed to report anything at all until after the election. The report from Newsweek is a result of two such "plants" they had in the McCain/Palin campaign organization.

I wonder what they came up with out of the OBAMA/Biden campaign organization. I haven't heard any reports. Maybe it was so low key it wasn't worth touching on that subject on the same show where I saw them talking about Palin.
 TimPommell
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 11/10/2008 7:15:54 AM
So even though you agree with my post I’m WRONG? LOL

My post:

3.) The campaign (not Palin) can spend the money as they see fit so long as it doesn't violate any campaign laws.

Note where I specifically state "3.) The campaign (not Palin) can spend the money as they see fit so long as it doesn't violate any campaign laws." How can that be WRONG?

According to Palin and McCain, she didn't get to keep any of the clothes... I'm rather certain McCain is somewhat anal about following laws he helped author, but then again it’s merely an assumption as is the assumption that no reasonable person would risk fine or imprisonment for a pair of socks, slacks, a jacket or blouse no matter how much they cost. As to how reasonable an assumption it is, I guess we’ll have to wait till something besides rumors and innuendo are brought forward. There’s a name for that, I think it’s called … wait…. its coming to me … oh yeah they call it PROOF!
 where4
Msg: 10
Posted: 11/10/2008 7:59:40 AM
I couldn't help but applaud this writer's explanation (on another blog) of why Wardrobe-gate merits our attention:
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/washingtonpostinvestigations/2008/11/alaska_turnout_results_raise_q.html

It's interesting how you folks wish to belittle our interest in Palin's clothing budget. For sure its a very minor issue. No argument there.

But....in light of all the major national and world issues Obama spoke of, it was the desire of the McCain camp to belittle Obama with little cheap shots about his past. So its amusing that when we find delight in this crap you are offended.

And let's be honest. Had not Palin stuck her neck out from day one and became a caricature of herself with her embarassing interviews and her sharp personal attacks, all the while claiming they weren't cheap shots but just her patriotic duty to help voters understand the situation, then maybe she wouldn't have drawn so much flak.
And it didn't help to promote her Carhartt and steel toed boot image of her being just like one of us regular folk. If that was the case she should have shoped at Sears and not Neiman-Marcus.

So when she sneaks off to spend a huge wad behind the scenes to dress herself in non-hockey mom outfits, yes we find it amusing. And now we find out she was going for the gusto doing the shopping thing all the while denying it.

Had Cindy gone shopping with her flair and financial status no one would bat an eye. No story there whatever. It fits the image she honestly presents.

But when your hockey mom, loves those Wal-Mart shopping mom's and tries to capitalize on that image, belittling Obama for having a formal education from a great school....well she kinda has to take her shots. We think she is a classic right wing Christian hypocrite.

She brought it upon herself to a certain extent. As they say, "what goes around, comes around."

Posted by: patrick10 | November 6, 2008 4:46 PM

TimPommell
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 11/10/2008 8:09:56 AM
I read somewhere this morning that Santa Claus was coming to town. I read it, so it simply MUST be true ... I mean the media would NEVER report anything that wasn't verified as factual, CBS Evening News did an outstanding job of vetting every story before they reported it, just ask Dan Rather. As did NBC with the exploding gas tanks, and Jeep roll-overs ... and let's not forget how Dewey defeated Truman...

I'm reminded yet again of one of Ronald Reagan’s favorite expressions, "trust ... but verify..." It was prudent 25 years ago and it's still prudent today. While I have no doubt as to the honorable intent of the vast majority of media publications, I'm sure everyone recognizes the prudence in waiting for verification from an actual named and credible source before rushing to add "The Gospel of Newsweek" to the political bible... Otherwise we'd have to add yet another book just to keep things fair and balanced, "The Gospel of Obama, the First Terrorist President"
 geeleebee
Msg: 12
Posted: 11/10/2008 8:52:11 AM

Doesn't it occur to anyone that if Governor Palin had gone on this so-called shopping spree, there would have been dozens of press covering it? Wouldn't you think that some salesperson in a store would have gotten a picture of themselves with a potential first woman VP?

The other day, Palin said that no one had come to look through her closets...yet.
Seriously, the point of the clothing spree isn't really the money--it was the idea that both McCain and Palin had tried so hard to make Obama look 'elitist' and estranged from the 'Joe six-packs' in this country, and by clothing herself in name brands that 'Mrs. Joe Six-Pack' could not even hope to do, Palin made herself look hypocritical.

She's back to parkas and mukluks now, anyway. Let's move on.
 MacKevinized
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 11/10/2008 9:20:22 AM

Doesn't it occur to anyone that if Governor Palin had gone on this so-called shopping spree, there would have been dozens of press covering it? Wouldn't you think that some salesperson in a store would have gotten a picture of themselves with a potential first woman VP?

It occurred to the McCain camp so they hired Amy Strozzi at $22,800 (more than policy advisors) to do the first 2 weeks of shopping. Of course they knew Palin could not get caught shopping for herself so they tried to disguise the purchases by hiring someone to do it for her.

Too bad for the rightie tighties that it got exposed by internal squabbles.
 TimPommell
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 11/10/2008 9:47:53 AM

The other day, Palin said that no one had come to look through her closets...yet.
Could it be that the negative aspect of the rumor garners more press than the truth and for that reason no attempts have been made to verify it? No news agency has reported that she has denied them access; guess seeking fact is far less profitable than promoting fiction, and as we all know, sensation sells!

Seriously, the point of the clothing spree isn't really the money--it was the idea that both McCain and Palin had tried so hard to make Obama look 'elitist' and estranged from the 'Joe six-packs' in this country, and by clothing herself in name brands that 'Mrs. Joe Six-Pack' could not even hope to do, Palin made herself look hypocritical.
To me it says just the opposite. She’s a public servant who doesn't have the financial wherewithal to purchase sufficient clothing to compete in the national game of Red Carpet / Movie Star politics, a non-insider; she hasn’t worked in Washington yet, so she had the distinct disadvantage of not being an instant millionaire. Clearly she had the moxy to stand on stage with any of the three multi-millionaires, why is it she's the only one condemned for wardrobe issues? What would be said if the rest of the candidates went to AK for an extended period and had to revamp their wardrobe for the adventure, would it be a scandal deemed press worthy? Obama's income increased from about $700K in 2006 before he ever went to Washington, to over $4M in 2007, the year he arrived ... had Michelle Obama required "stage" clothes for the campaign, I wonder what would have been said?

She's back to parkas and mukluks now, anyway. Let's move on.
That's another interesting point, today, November 10, 2008, here in NE Florida it's a sunny 82F (according to my thermometer), and in Wasilla as of 4 seconds ago it's a balmy 29F.
In December 1996 I lived in Ft. Lauderdale, I left the airport in Miami to go visit my children for Christmas in Kansas City. When I got on the plane it was 92F, when I got off the plane it was -45F … that’s a 137 degree temperature change, does anyone honestly think even my most inclement weather South Florida wardrobe was sufficient?
Who wouldn't require a complete wardrobe overhaul when hopping from one climate extreme to another? Does anyone actually think that a down parka is an acceptable substitute for a linen jacket? That perhaps a snowsuit is not really interchangeable with a sundress? Do mukluks come with a fashionable heel? I would think all women would be offended to an immeasurable level at the overt sexism, and men would be equally offended for the total absence of common sense applied to the story.

As for moving on, I hope we do, I'm tired of all this partisan pettiness about the GOP being so out of touch without any proof whatsoever, even when the issue flies so profoundly in the face of basic common sense!
 geeleebee
Msg: 15
Posted: 11/10/2008 10:39:55 AM

To me it says just the opposite. She’s a public servant who doesn't have the financial wherewithal to purchase sufficient clothing to compete in the national game of Red Carpet / Movie Star politics, a non-insider; she hasn’t worked in Washington yet, so she had the distinct disadvantage of not being an instant millionaire. Clearly she had the moxy to stand on stage with any of the three multi-millionaires, why is it she's the only one condemned for wardrobe issues? What would be said if the rest of the candidates went to AK for an extended period and had to revamp their wardrobe for the adventure, would it be a scandal deemed press worthy? Obama's income increased from about $700K in 2006 before he ever went to Washington, to over $4M in 2007, the year he arrived ... had Michelle Obama required "stage" clothes for the campaign, I wonder what would have been said?

My point, once again, is that Sarah Palin made it clear that she wanted to connect with the 'Joe Six-Packs' out there, and by dressing herself in thousands of dollar's worth of clothing, she polarized herself from the Six-Pack families who don't have rich friends willing to pay for a wardrobe.

At this point in time, it matters no longer.
Train's gone.
 TimPommell
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 11/10/2008 11:15:13 AM
Competition for the last word, I love it! LOL

My point, once again, is that Sarah Palin made it clear that she wanted to connect with the 'Joe Six-Packs' out there, and by dressing herself in thousands of dollar's worth of clothing, she polarized herself from the Six-Pack families who don't have rich friends willing to pay for a wardrobe.
The validity of your point rests on personal assumptions. As a fiscal conservative, I did not support McCain in any of his policies, because, like Bush, I considered him too far removed from the cornerstone of conservatism, fiscal responsibility. The only glimmer in this campaign of the party of "old" was Palin. While you may not care for her, or agree with the campaign that she needed a "TV friendly" makeover, the simple fact is she alone was the only person that could legitimately offer any semblance of change inside the beltway. She's the only one who hadn't previously won the instant multi-millionaire DC lottery... Speaking as a "Joe Six-Pack", I wouldn't hose down any of the other three if they were on fire, they are poster boys for what is wrong with the country; multi-millionaires pretending to be in touch with issues of the working class, and in reality have no concept of what a real day of work actually feels like, if ever they had even experienced one. On one hand you assume it is wrong for her to need to have the necessary clothes purchased for her usage, on the other you take no issue with the fact she was actually a working class person thrust into national politics. Personally I see it as somewhat of a Cinderella story ... if memory serves, she didn't have deep enough pockets to purchase her glass slipper either.

I just read in the Huffington Post that Obama used a campaign plane to fly to Hawaii to visit his grandmother, while I have no idea how much it costs to fly a 767 that far, I rather imagine between the labor, maintenance, fuel costs, secret service detail, staffers who had to fly with him, as well as the family members he took, along with the clock ticking on the hours the private plane wasn’t used for it’s intended purpose (campaigning), I rather image the price tag is far more than $150K… Why isn’t the mainstream media challenging that, or is it merely an issue of alleged GOP misuse of funds and not a one law fits all application when it comes to campaign finance funds for Democrats?
 MacKevinized
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 11/10/2008 11:23:26 AM

All of these reports are from anonymous sources with absolutely no documentation as proof. If that is not conjecture and rumor, then I don't know what is.

Here's a report from the McCain campaign to the FEC about their expenditures.

http://query.nictusa.com/cgi-bin/dcdev/forms/C00003418/373483/sf

From the entries on this form one can see that Palin's clothes were described as CAMPAIGN ACCESSORIES to hide the fact they were buying clothes, a violation of the McCain-Feingold act

It appears to me that not only were the stores paid but McCain campaign workers were also paid the same amounts for those articles. This would mean the campaign workers were defrauding the campaign. as well as violating the McCain-Feingold Act.

Payee: THE MCINTOSH COMPANY
$4537.85
Purpose of Expenditure: CAMPAIGN ACCESSORIES
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Payee: MACY'S MINNEAPOLIS MN

700 NICOLLET MALL
MINNEAPOLIS, Minnesota 55402

$4537.85
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Payee: SAKS FIFTH AVE
$7575.02
Date Expended = 09/10/2008
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Payee: JEFF LARSON
$789.72
Payee: BARNEY'S NEW YORK

$789.72

$5102.71
Payee: BLOOMINGDALES-NY

$5102.71
$75062.63
Payee: NEIMON MARCUS MINNEAPOLIS
$75062.63
$98.00
Payee: PACIFIER-NE MLPS
$98.00

7900 HUDSON BLVD
OAKDALE, DC 55128

Federal Candidate Supported: C00003418
Candidate ID #:P80002801
$4902.45
Payee: ATELIER
$4902.45
$41850.72
Payee: SAKS 5TH AVENUE-NY
$41850.72
$253.99

$4396.94

$4396.94
Payee: HEATHER CUMMINGS

$3300.00
Purpose of Expenditure: CONSULTING - MAKEUP/HAIR ARTIST
Payee: LISA L KINE

$98.00
Payee: GAVIDAE PACIFIER

651 NICOLLET MALL
$98.00

$512.92

$512.92

444 E 82ND STREET
4M
NEW YORK, DC 10028

Federal Candidate Supported: C00003418
Candidate ID #:P80002801
Aggregate General Election Expenditure For This Candidate: $725.00
Purpose of Expenditure: TRANSPORTATION SERVICE
Date Expended = 09/25/2008
Amount Expended = $725.00
Limit Raised Due To Opponent's Spending

$133.00
Payee: GAP-MN

$133.00

$98.50
Payee: STEINIAUF & STROLLER INC

$98.50

$349.54
Payee: LORD & TAYLOR

$349.54

$181.91
Purpose of Expenditure: TAILORING SUPPLIES
Date Expended = 09/25/2008
Amount Expended = $181.91
Payee: OSHMAN BROTHERS CORP

Purpose of Expenditure: TAILORING SUPPLIES
Amount Expended = $181.91
 MacKevinized
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 11/10/2008 11:53:25 AM

Well that is certainly an impressive list of purchases. Now where exactly does it say that those purchases were made for or authorized by Sarah Palin?

Palin wore the close didn't she? That makes her a conspirator in the corruption.

And in case you only get news from faux news, the other media outlets have already reported the purchases were made for Palin by Larson, Kline and other campaign officials.

I wonder how ticked off the others that used their credit cards for palin's clothes now that they won't get reimbursed.
 TimPommell
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 11/10/2008 12:01:01 PM

From the entries on this form one can see that Palin's clothes were described as CAMPAIGN ACCESSORIES to hide the fact they were buying clothes, a violation of the McCain-Feingold act
I'm not seeing where it says "Women's Clothing for Sarah Palin" Could you clear that little necessary tid bit up for us? Sure would go a long ways towards ending the debate....

It appears to me that not only were the stores paid but McCain campaign workers were also paid the same amounts for those articles. This would mean the campaign workers were defrauding the campaign. as well as violating the McCain-Feingold Act.
Not sure where you get that, to me it appears the expenditures were authorized by staffers and or reimbursed by the campaign for the actual expenditures by the staffers. I'm sorry, but I just don't see a GOP scandal hiding in this.

By the way, I noticed you didn't comment on Obama's possible illegal use of campaign funds, still sticking with the double standard? (Note how I wait for actual charges to be filed before I declare him guilty of any wrong doing.....)
 itechman63
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 11/10/2008 12:04:19 PM
I don't give a rat's patootie about Palin's clothes and I still find it extremely hard to believe that she did any actual shopping. Had she ever been at the Saks Fifth Avenue on 67 just off US-40/I-64 in St. Louis, her presence there would have been reported like an actual confirmed sighting of Sasquatch. Her being there was never reported in the St. Louis media equals she was never there equals campaign staff did the purchasing.

But this...

ever mind the countless rips on Fox News, even though numerous media surveys show their actual news reports to be the ONLY fair and balanced reporting in news media.

Timbo, you're smarter than that to believe that media surveys or not that Fox News is actually Fair and Balanced. Believing Fox News to be Fair and Balanced is more ridiculous than being surprised that Clay Aiken came out of the closet. And being surprised about Clay would have been extremely ridiculous.
 TimPommell
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 11/10/2008 12:18:57 PM
Itech,
This is where most people get confused. Fox NEWS, not the Political Commentary shows such as Hannity and Colmes, there's a HUGE difference. Sean Hannity is not a reporter, he does not get paid to be fair and balanced, to the contrary he gets paid specifically for his conservative perspective, just as Alan Colmes is paid specifically for his liberal perspective. If you want to make the argument that the majority of news commentary programs have a conservative bend, then I agree with you 100%, but that isn't NEWS which is what I was referencing.
Every independent survey done that compares Fox News to CNN, CBS, NBC, ABC, and MSNBC shows Fox News to be far more fair and balanced with the number of positive and negative stories about either candidate, or hot button issues. The knee jerk reaction is to color Fox as slanted because it doesn't march hand in hand with the others ... is it not reasonable to assume that if one news organization could be biased, then ALL could be? Is it unreasonable to think that of all of them, only one actually takes steps to insure they broadcast an equal number of positive and negative stories on each of the political spectrums? It's the number 1 watched news program for a reason... watch it for a week and keep score, I think you'll see that it is true, they report, you decide...
 MacKevinized
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 11/10/2008 1:52:49 PM

I'm not seeing where it says "Women's Clothing for Sarah Palin" Could you clear that little necessary tid bit up for us? Sure would go a long ways towards ending the debate....

I don't want to end the debate, do your own homework.

Not sure where you get that, to me it appears the expenditures were authorized by staffers and or reimbursed by the campaign for the actual expenditures by the staffers. I'm sorry, but I just don't see a GOP scandal hiding in this.

I provided the link to the FEC finance report, and it shows the illegal expenditures. It doesn't matter who made the approvals, buying clothes for a candidate is specifically prohibited by the McCain-Fiengold act. I don't care if you consider it a scandal or not.

By the way, I noticed you didn't comment on Obama's possible illegal use of campaign funds, still sticking with the double standard? (Note how I wait for actual charges to be filed before I declare him guilty of any wrong doing.....)

In a thread about buying clothes it would be inappropriate to hijack the topic and make it about Obama. But I see you have no qualms about hijacking subjects.

It is very common for people in the public eye to be handed clothing to wear by wardrobe coordinators. Just as it is very common for people (men and women) to have hair stylists and make up artists.

It is still for political campaigns to buy clothes for anyone and I bet you can't find other politicians that are wearing clothes purchased with campaign money.
 MacKevinized
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 11/10/2008 2:30:14 PM

My question remains; why is Sarah Palin personally being villanized for something the McCain campaign chose to do?

She had no authority to force the RNC to buy her clothes.

Being that she tried to project a hockey mom getting votes from joe 6pack while fighting corruption, she looked pretty foolish ACCEPTING the expensive clothes from the RNC.

When the story broke, it was emphasized that many of the clothes were returned to the stores because the assistants who bought the clothes were not authorized to spend those large amounts of money, and the clothes that were kept, were to be donated to charity after the campaign.

AFTER they got caught buying all those clothes they scrambled for a CYA story.

I'd like to know what happened to the money that was refunded back to the people that used their own credit cards for the purchases. That looks like another scam to defraud the RNC.

It was also stated that the DNC purchased a Hart, Schaffer, and Marx suit ($1500) for Senator Obama to wear at the Democratic National Convention, and that a make up artist and hair stylist was enlisted for Mrs. Obama use when she made appearances for the campaign. And yet no one seems to think that was unusual or out of the ordinary.

I believe whoever stated this was lying as I saw the story Obama paid for his own suits.
Make up and hair stylists are not against campaign finance expenditures like paying for clothes are.

I was an independent and at the last minute decided to vote for Senator Obama. I believe in my heart I made the right choice. What I don't believe is that is in anyone's best interest to help propagate the out and out lies and half truths. The election is over and there is no need to spread rumors and scandal to try and ruin the reputation of a person who dared to aspire to a national public office.

It's in everybody's interest to obey the laws and expose the law breakers and by writing about the DNC buying clothes for Obama you are propagating an out and out lie.
 TimPommell
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 11/10/2008 5:43:33 PM
Anybody else waxing nostalgic for 9th grade English Lit?

Much Ado About Nothing... not Shakespeare’s best to be sure, but still far more riveting than “you have underwear you didn’t pay for…”

Scandalous issue to be sure, fodder for the mainstream media no doubt, now they no longer have to dig through Joe the Plumber's trash cans to find their next page of scandal and sensationalism... I have to say this is some real top notch reporting. The outcome could transform the way the world views the integrity of the National Enquirer...
 bliss serendipity
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 11/10/2008 6:18:16 PM
This from DKos today, I guess RNC wants the goods returned,

"BRITCHES TO NOWHERE: 'She spent the weekend frantically sorting through clothes'
by RobertInWisconsin
Mon Nov 10, 2008 at 0228 PM PST

The title of this diary - 'She spent the weekend frantically sorting through clothes' - comes straight out of the mouth of the father of the person who could have been Vice President-elect of the United States, a heartbeat away from being the most powerful person on Earth.

While comical - 'She spent the weekend frantically sorting through clothes' serves as a neat bookend to the anonymous 'Wasilla hillbillies looting Neiman-Marcus from coast to coast' comment from a higher-up in the McCain campaign - nonetheless the quote also raises many, many questions.

* RobertInWisconsin's diary :: ::

From the article :

Palin sorts clothes to see what belongs to the RNC

Associated Press
November 10, 2008

WASILLA, Alaska – Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin spent part of the weekend going through her clothing to determine what belongs to the Republican Party after it spent $150,000-plus on a wardrobe for the vice presidential nominee, according to Palin's father. . . . Republican National Committee lawyers are still trying to determine exactly what clothing was bought for Palin, what was returned and what has become of the rest.

Palin's father, Chuck Heath, said his daughter spent the day Saturday trying to figure out what belongs to the RNC. "She was just frantically ... trying to sort stuff out," Heath said. "That's the problem, you know, the kids lose underwear, and everything has to be accounted for.

. . . RNC lawyers have been discussing with Palin whether what's left of the clothing and accessories purchased for her on the campaign trail will go to charity, back to stores or be paid for by Palin, a McCain-Palin campaign official said Friday, speaking on condition of anonymity because the campaign hadn't authorized comment. . . .

STORY

Among the questions :

1. In past elections, has America ever heard election post-mortems from the father of a presidential or VP nominee ? ( Set aside situations when one's dad is a former president. )

2. 'She spent the weekend frantically sorting through clothes.' I thought those clothes were returned, or never left the airplane, or didn't exist ! Either the $ 150,000 + story is true or it isn't true.

3. The article makes several references to 'RNC lawyers' - this sounds serious. Has the Republican Party lawyered up to go after Palin ?

4. The silk boxers - are they 'lost' now ? Were the Palins throwing stuff out of the back of the plane on its descent to the Anchorage airport ? Is the Alaska tundra littered with high-fashion lingerie and accessories ? Does the First Gentleman need to get on his snow-machine to retrieve the items ?

Questions, questions, questions.

It's truly mind-boggling to imagine a VP nominee and current Governor of any state spending a weekend 'frantically going through clothes' - apparently under pressure of lawyers from her own party - and having her own father report this on the record to news media ( including speculating about 'lost underwear' ), but that's PRECISELY what we have here.

Sarah Palin won't be able to complain that this is some mean, unkind, nasty story from anonymous 'jerks.' This is her own father, on the record, painting a picture of Palin as a frantic Lucy Ricardo trying to eat chocolate candies as they come off an out-of-control assembly line.

Instead of going on Fox News tonight, NBC Today show tomorrow, and CNN on Wednesday, I would humbly suggest we have the makings of a Reality Trash-TV program on our hands here. Perhaps VH-1 can sign the Palin family to air their dirty laundry on a weekly basis, complete with drama, meltdowns, screaming, finger-pointing, and yelling. I suggest a title : Pallin' Around With The Palins.

Meanwhile, President-elect Obama and the next First Lady spent the day today as normal functioning adults, traveling to our nation's capital to meet with the current occupants of the White House.

UPDATE - Inspired by some of the comments in this thread, perhaps Palin can defend herself by saying, 'I told the RNC Thanks, but No Thanks to those britches to nowhere.'"

Bliss
 d0rene
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 11/10/2008 6:33:39 PM
Understand, I do not like Sara Palin. Some of the things I have heard about her stint as both mayor and govenor in Alaska really rubbed me wrong. That being said....

I feel she is being treated unfairly for this. I was outraged when I initially heard the story, however after hearing more I changed my mind. I cannot tell what the price of things are when I put them on and she did not personally go to the stores to pick them out. From what I understand, they gave a blank to a stylist to make her what the Republican party considered presentable. What happens when you give anyone a blank check? Look at the money both John and Cindy McCain have to spend on clothes..... Palin is coming from a completely different background. The GOP planned on spin doctoring Palin to appeal to what they thought of as the "blue collar" workers and the women voters who were backing Hilary Clinton. It backfired. They tried to pull the strings of something they didn't understand and it fell apart and now they are going to hang Palin for it. Even though it doesn't change my opinion of her or her policies, I do feel kind of bad for her.
 geeleebee
Msg: 28
Posted: 11/10/2008 7:01:44 PM
She is the governor of a state.
She is not stupid.
She can read the name 'Neiman Marcus' on labels--which were left on, supposedly to go back after the election.

I was not outraged when I heard about the $$$$$ spent on her; I was nauseated at the thought of this self-proclaimed 'hockey mom' wearing thousands of dollar's worth of clothing that few of her constituents could ever afford for themselves.
This isn't dress-up--this was about the very real lives of those Americans with whom she tried so hard to connect at a 'Joe Six-Pack' level.

Seriously; it's over.
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > Sarah Palin's Outfits, continued.