Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Coleslaw      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 SAguy_06
Msg: 7
ColeslawPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I make two distinct style of slaws...creamy and vinegar-y...

creamy is mayo based, and the other can be sweet, salty, peppery or all three.

my favorite...mom made a creamy with cabbage,shreaded carrot, raisins, pineapple, and lil brown sugar for sweetness.
 mik1950
Msg: 9
Coleslaw
Posted: 5/22/2009 7:32:00 PM
i make a half deceny coleslaw...cabbage...duh...both green and a bit of red for color...instead of shredding it tho i use my knife and slice it paper thin...
shredded carrots...sometimes i use apple ...a few minced radishes...and some finely grated onion...
for the dressing i use mayo as a starting point...milk...honey...and a bit of mustard...both prepared and powdered...i never measure anything tho...just go by taste...i think i also add a few bloops of lemon juice...dont overamp the mustard tho or it will be bitter
 MacGyverRI
Msg: 11
Coleslaw
Posted: 5/23/2009 10:57:50 PM
I do it this way

1 lb bagged/shredded slaw
3-4 really heaping tbls. Miracle Whip type dressing.
1-2 tbl. sugar
few shakes of salt and pepper
1 tbl. poppy seeds

It takes at least 6-8 hrs. (overnight is better) to get the cabbage a bit soft and flavors blended so mix/stir it up well every hour or so, 4-5 x's. It makes it's own liquid so I don't add milk etc..
 Molly Maude
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Coleslaw
Posted: 10/1/2010 1:22:18 PM
I'm one of those cooks who changes recipes constantly ... and I rarely measure ... just a blob of this, a pinch of something and a bunch of that ...

this is as close to my sweet fruity cole slaw recipe as I can come ...

blend together until smooth:
8 tablespoons lite mayonnaise
3 tablespoons white sugar
3 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg (or more)
1 teaspoon Lawry's seasoned pepper (red, black peppers, etc.)

when that's well blended, add:
WELL DRAINED 20 oz. can crushed pineapple in juice, not syrup
two WELL DRAINED 11 oz. cans mandarin orange slices
1/3 cup shredded coconut ...
and about 1/2 to 3/4 cup of miniature marshmallows ...
stir until well blended ...

pour this mixture OVER:
12 oz. bag of shredded cabbage/carrots/cole slaw mix ...
and let it "age" in the frig for at least a couple of hours before serving ...
stir as you serve it ...

it may be a little too "zippy" with that much vinegar ... the marshmallows sort of "melt" into the salad but add a nice touch ... sometimes, I use fruit colored marshmallows ... I've also used chopped California pecans and California golden raisins ... and probably will again!

this recipe sort of doubles as a fruit salad when you don't have fresh fruit available ...
 Classic Chassis
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Coleslaw
Posted: 10/2/2010 10:55:03 AM
Jimmy Buffet Coleslaw
1 fresh pineapple, peeled and cubed
2 mangos or papayas
2 habanero or sereno peppers seeded and finely chopped
2 cups shredded purple cabbage
1/2 cup nuts, finely chopped (ie peanuts (chili/lime flavor is great with this), pecans, or pistachios)
1 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup tequilla
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1tbsp. honey or brown sugar
salt and pepper (white or mixed peppercorns work well, too)

Toss together fruits, chili pepper, cabbage and nuts in large serving bowl then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Refrigerate at least an hour. Combine remaining ingredients whisking until completely blended. Add to chilled fruit and toss to coat. Serve immediately after dressing.

Note: Heat can be adjusted to taste by the type of pepper as well as leaving some seeds in. Also, salt will be to taste depending on the nut used. If you use the chili/lime flavored peanuts, remember to decrease or eliminate salt.
 Dovelett
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Coleslaw
Posted: 11/6/2010 7:48:59 AM
Pazoozoo

I'm confused...what chili pepper? Do you mean the habanero or sereno peppers, not the chili pepper you buy in bottles?

2 habanero or serrano peppers are fresh NOT chile's in bottles
Classics use the number 2 - not 2 teaspoons or tablespoons

However, salad being sold at arestaurant - I don't think 2 Habannero's is correct ( one of those little orange babies are extremely HOT - even without the seeds!

Would try with 1 or 2 serranos diced fine. Hope this helps.
 Classic Chassis
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Coleslaw
Posted: 11/7/2010 8:09:57 AM
The acidity of the fruit plus the tequila and lime juice cut the heat of the peppers. Have made this for the rugrats using 2 peppers and they say the heat is fine. But they have cast iron stomachs so you might want to start with 1 pepper then adjust to taste.
 Molly Maude
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Coleslaw
Posted: 11/7/2010 12:44:41 PM
LAFFING at the potato salad recipe!!! thanks, RubyWaxxx!!!

for a vinegar cole slaw ... I use 2 to 3 parts mayonnaise ... 1 part sugar ... 1 part vinegar ... blend well ...

I also add crushed pineapple, sometimes mandarin oranges, sometimes raisins and usually tiny marshmellows ... to sweeten and often the vinegar taste ... rarely I add pecans!

I usually add Lawry's seasoned pepper to taste ... cuz it's pretty ... and lots of nutmeg ... cuz it tastes good ...

I pour this OVER the shredded cabbage, carrot, etc. mixture and stuff it in the frig ... stir later ... about 30 minutes before serving ...

my children like this recipe and usually ask me to bring it to pot luck type occasions!

P.S. just saw that I already posted this recipe ... oh, well ...

did I mention I change ingredients often and rarely make anything the same way twice?!!!
 dsljim
Msg: 21
Coleslaw
Posted: 1/2/2012 7:26:39 PM
Dutch slaw: put in saucepan 2 tablespoons peanut butter, blend in half tsp dry mustard half tsp salt 1 tsp sugar 1 tblspn flour few grains pepper , stir in gradually half cup milk, stir and boil over low heat 2 minutes remove from heat + stir in 2 tblspns vinegar + chill.
4 cups shredded cabbage,1 cup whole corn,qtr cup finely cut green pepper, half tsp salt.
 raxarsr
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Coleslaw
Posted: 1/3/2012 7:22:55 AM
Pa Dutch Cole Slaw
1 head of cabbage, shredded
1/2 cup diced celery
1 onion, diced
Dressing:

1/4 cup vinegar
2 1/2 - 3 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 heaping Tbsp mayonnaise [i prefer miricle whip]
pinch of pepper
Combine the celery, onion and cabbage, set aside.

Mix the dressing ingredients together. Add to cabbage mixture. This will make a crisp Cole Slaw, it should sit in the refrigerator at least 2 hours. For a softer cabbage, add 2 Tbsp vegetable oil.
 caddyman101
Msg: 23
view profile
History
sColeslaw
Posted: 1/3/2012 11:25:08 AM
my dressing is half mayo and half greece yoghurt, salt, pepper, apple cidar vinager,ground fennel seed,slice apple, golden rasains, honey. Add red and green cabbage, schredd carrot, and schredd jiccama. For a twist add some chapotle powder.
 caddyman101
Msg: 24
view profile
History
sColeslaw
Posted: 1/3/2012 2:15:53 PM
jiccama is a root vegetable for mexico. It taste is between a apple and a potato. it is in any suppermarket. and it is chipotle powder. sorry 4 the miss spell.
 Moonchild51
Msg: 25
view profile
History
sColeslaw
Posted: 1/3/2012 6:35:32 PM
Howdy folks and Happy New Year! Here is a slaw recipe that isn't quite so sweet.
Tangy Coleslaw
8 cups shredded cabbage
1+1/4 tsp salt
1 sweet red pepper
half red onion, thinly sliced
1 tbsp chopped fresh dill, if you can't find fresh, use 1 tsp dried dillweed
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 tbsp granulated sugar
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp dry mustard
3/4 tsp celery seeds
1/4 tsp black pepper
Toss cabbage with 1 tsp of the salt. In separate bowl, toss red pepper with remaining salt. Let both stand until cabbage is soft, 1 to 2 hours. Squeeze out the excess moisture. In large bowl, toss together cabbage, undrained red pepper, onion and dill. Whisk together vinegar, sugar, oil, mustard, celery seeds and black pepper. Toss with cabbage mixture. Let stand for at least 20 minutes or refrigerate for up to 4 days. Makes 8 servings!!!!
 SILLYGIRL111
Msg: 26
view profile
History
sColeslaw
Posted: 1/9/2013 8:24:26 PM
Rice vinegar gives it a nice flavor.
 Debyduz_
Msg: 27
Coleslaw
Posted: 1/13/2013 6:21:30 PM
First ask them for recipe next time you go there sometimes they will give it to you.

I looked and didn't find it and I am an excellent hunter.

Google coleslaw with golden raisins. I found several recipes that sound similar.

I once loved this shrimp bisque with roasted corn and peppers. The restaurant bought it from a distributor so they didn't have the recipe. so i ordered it 3 different times and picked it apart. I ended up using a crass between a corn chowder and shrimp bisque mine was even better then the restaurant. It takes a whole day to make but I can freeze it before adding vermouth and cream.

Pick a recipe that is close and keep working on it. Usually a place with give you a recipe or some hints.

Jimmy Buffet has been on with Emeril if you can catch the show you can get an idea of his cooking style.
 Vannili
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Coleslaw
Posted: 1/16/2013 1:01:38 PM
Thank you Classic chassis for the recipes of Jimmy Buffet Coleslaw.
 Vannili
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Coleslaw
Posted: 5/4/2016 3:58:46 PM
Please somebody help me , how can I choose a not bitter green cabbage for cole slaw or for cooking ?
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Coleslaw