Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Travel  > Honest opinion about Romania      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 aventurero
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Honest opinion about RomaniaPage 1 of 1    
I was there in Sept. 2007 and visited Brasov, Sighorsoara and the surrounding countryside and Bucharest. Its not chock-a-block with conventional tourist sites like western Europe often is, but appears to be a great place for hiking (I didn't as I had just climbed Mt Ararat and also it was raining). Also the Saxon villages are really interesting.

For someone visiting Europe for the first time or an inexperienced traveller I am not sure if I would recommend it as the tourist industry is still developing and the country does not have as many tourist sites as other places.

However for someone that has been and is sick of seeing Europe with a million other tourists I would definitely recommend it. There are few tourists there (so few that I kept on running into the same people which was good, I never had to eat dinner or have drinks alone), the locals are interested in talking to you and the country is for the most part not spoilt by tourism.

Bucharest could be a really interesting place if the spent some money on fixing up some of the art deco architecture and creating pedestrian malls. They could lose some of those power trip transit cops, too.
 easygoingfellah
Msg: 5
Honest opinion about Romania
Posted: 11/18/2011 7:40:27 PM
would return
was there a couple of years ago..my wife is romanian, from suceava
nice mountains,,,would return
 Bishopboat
Msg: 6
Posted: 11/19/2011 12:34:12 PM
What's my opinion on Romania? Y'all make probly the worse AK47s in the world and y'all have way too many gypsies.
 reginalady1
Msg: 7
Posted: 11/19/2011 7:04:38 PM
I would love to go to Romania with someone who knows the country.
I was in Sofia a few years ago, it was an experience but having learned some of the language before I went and open to new experiences in the end I learned alot and I enjoyed it.
My family is from Romania many years ago and would love to see the area they were from.
I think more people need to travel and have their eyes opened.
 SoBayNative
Msg: 8
Posted: 11/20/2011 5:59:24 PM
Salut, ce mai faci? I've never been and have read and heard from Romanians that it's a hellhole but I've always been fascinated by the country since two of my grandparents were Romanian. I remember the first time I heard the language and could understand it I was blown away.
 want to travel
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 11/24/2011 1:38:29 PM
Honest opinion
Romania has great tourist potential, maybe one of the european countries with the greatest potential
a couple of problems,one, it has had a very hard time economically , both through the communist eara, and the 20 years of terrible corruption that followed
the greatest problem is romanian nationalism
this is a mosaic country, with many wonderful cultures and ethnic groups, Moldavia, Walachia, transyvania, are all very distinct , yet since 1918, romania has been working very hard to destroy all the wonderful variety found in that country, and create an artificial new romanian national culture
pity, some major ethinc and cultural groups are now almost non existent , the saxons have for the most part have all left the country,the jewish culture has been erased ,only the hungarians are hanging in there, but are under constant pressure to vanish
the cultural diversity once found in romania was next to none found in europe
this was and still can be a great feature to draw tourists, along with the natural beauty of the country
the great saxon cities , like brasov, and cibiu for example, are nothing but ethnic echoes of there past glory, the culture that made the gone ,all that is left is a generic and boring artificial museum
same goes for the jewish and multi ethnic cities like arad and timisoara
pure hungarian cities are facing the same fate, like oradea, and cluj,(kolosvar)
 Rami31
Msg: 10
Posted: 1/2/2012 8:20:01 PM
Bucharest is the worst and maybe because is overcrowded... Go visit Transylvania area, you will have a different opinion.
 Rami31
Msg: 11
Posted: 1/2/2012 8:28:37 PM
...but is definitely not a hellhole!
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 4/5/2012 7:39:42 PM
I was in Transylvania with a Hungarian woman... so only along the Hungarian/Romania (Transylvania) border . Never in Bucharest. She is ethnic Hungarian but her family is in Transylvania. It was oddly a lot like southern France 40 years ago where I grew up. Modern and rustic at the same time. Sometimes it felt like 2007 but also 1897. For whatever reason there was a bit of a malaise that had set in. The woman i was with didn't like Romanians and they didn't like her. I couldn't tell Romanians from Hungarians except when they spoke (Hungarian is 'weird'!). I sensed a lot of young people were eager to move to western Europe, Canada or wherever.
 KorageHu
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 4/26/2012 10:10:04 PM
From an Asian perspective.. we wouldn't go to romania.
 24frames persec
Msg: 16
Posted: 5/21/2012 12:16:35 AM
It has always been my dream to visit Castle Poenari. I would love to eat Romanian food and Kayak
Show ALL Forums  > Travel  > Honest opinion about Romania