Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > Fathers Support Groups      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Solemn25
Msg: 1
Fathers Support GroupsPage 1 of 1    
Hey ladies and gents! I was just wondering because I've yet to find anything in the Lawrence area in the way of Fathers Support Groups....tell me.....has anyone seen a group or groups that help fathers? I've got a daughter getting ready to be born to y ex fiance 1200 miles away (she fled the state) and my daughter obviously is with her, and so I'm stuck in Kansas and am trying to find support of other parents.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

~Thank you~
 Buon_giorno
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Fathers Support Groups
Posted: 11/17/2008 3:13:14 AM
Good luck in your search solemn. I'm a single dad......after my second divorce and we had kids when i was in my 40's. I'm now in my 50's and find there is very very little help out there for single dads. The worst thing is when i joined a play group I was looked upon as weird and strange cos i was a single dad. I've also noticed that the support groups that are readily and locally available all cater for single mums. I know a lot of people will probably disagree with me...........but truly in my experience .....single mums get support, even if its just among thenselves or as neighbours.......but single dads are let to fend for themselves. And as hard as it is for single mums.......its just as hard and sometimes harder for single dads.
 freetime2bme
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Fathers Support Groups
Posted: 11/17/2008 3:44:10 AM
When I was working through my divorce I asked my attorney with all the crazy stuff my ex had done why is this still such a fight. He laughingly and said the biggest obstacles in getting things to be equal with regards to custody, visitation and support is other men. He went on to say women often stick together like glue, but men not only don't stick together they seem to want other men to fail also. He said it is not all ways the case, but may be so many man have gotten the shaft in the courts may be they don't want to see other men doing better then they did. I did not believe him at the time, but more and more I do. The only exception to this rule I have found is in other men that won full custody or are the custodial/primary parent. In this group of men their is support for other men. I did a POF post the other day about reporting an ex for none payment of child support and a good way to talk to the kids about it if questions come up. Not one man had a good thing to say, they all said don't worry about support, just let go all ignored the question of how to deal with the kids. The good new was the women the responded were much more supportive, but they too were about equally split. If I was looking for support any place I would not count women out they might be more help from what I have seen and been through.
 freetime2bme
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Fathers Support Groups
Posted: 11/17/2008 3:31:19 PM
Westpark, a $100 a month might not sound like a lot to you, but to me it would mean $50 a month into each of my girls college funds and that will defiantly mean a lot to them when the time comes. A women that get's an $8000 boob job, takes a trip to Mexico and drives a newer car then me can contribute at least $100 a month, when the state run numbers would have required her to pay around $400. You are one of the men I was talking about, surprised to hear that you have your kid full time with that attitude. Most men with the kids support other men, but there are exception to every rule.
Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > Fathers Support Groups