Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ireland  > Bored with your Social / Dating Scene?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 papillion
Msg: 1
Bored with your Social / Dating Scene?Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Are you bored with the standard pub / club scene? Tired of going out at weekends to the same places and doing the same things? Are your friends busy with relationships and not as adventurous as before? Would you like to extend your circle of friends and try new experiences?

I have answered yes to all of these questions and am going to try do something about it. I would love to try different things away from the usual social scene but often find it difficult to get my friends interested. I would like to try loads of exciting stuff like surfing, paintballing, music gigs, weekends away, hillwalking, rowing, comedy clubs, parachute jumping....anything exciting that will leave me excited ahead of weekends and thinking "wow..what a weekend" as I sit in work on Monday.

I'd like to get a group of like minded people, put our heads together and plan some exciting events and activities. Maybe even such a group exists and I don't know about it? I am a 28 year old male but the group is pretty much open to one and all. Drop me a mail if you think this is a good idea or if it is something you would be interested in?

All the best,

Papi
 MalaSam
Msg: 2
Bored with your Social / Dating Scene?
Posted: 11/19/2008 6:53:05 AM
Papi,

Count me in, sounds like a great idea.
 dub08
Msg: 3
Posted: 11/19/2008 6:57:42 AM
My social scene seems to be on here as my mates have new babies and wont go out (aw cute but I wouldnt like one). Count me in unless Im too old for it!!
 salsa35
Msg: 4
Posted: 11/19/2008 7:09:44 AM
Check out Meetup.com, if you haven't heard of it its a social networking group with a variety of groups of all interests and topics and it's free to join. (Atleast in the States it is). However, it is an International website as well. If you don't find what you are looking for, you can always start a group through that network and reach a lot more people. Good Luck.
 tecnic
Msg: 5
Posted: 11/19/2008 1:49:37 PM
i am to busy to do anything but you have some good point in your profile thats good to know i am a dublin dj and it takes a lot out of me i produce my own program
i dont go to nightclubs ect there not my seen i keep to my self plus i dont talk to any one unless i realy know them and i mind my own business if i know the person i will talk to them that what type of person i am and have been for years and it does work i have a lot of friends some work for irish rail but i am well known in the raido game contacts in 98 q102 countrymix lmfm ecoast thats what i am a dj hopefuly some day i will move to a big station thats my plan
 Miss Grundy
Msg: 6
Posted: 11/19/2008 2:09:14 PM
I love country music Tecnic, do you know Niall Toner ?

Do you go to that hotel on the Northside of the city, up there on a street off Parnell Street and off Nth Great George's Street where all the Irish country music fans go to enjoy the likes of ....can't think of any names right now ?

I think we should organise a hiking trip up Bray Head and follow it up with a go on the dodgems and a bit of one-armed bandit gambling and finally with a bag of soggy vinegar soaked chips as we wait for the bus home or the dart.
 foxenergy
Msg: 7
Posted: 11/19/2008 2:14:54 PM
Count me in great idea, I have contacts for clay pigeon shooting or quad biking whenever we get this started....you can't do both at the same time though!!
 MalaSam
Msg: 8
Posted: 11/20/2008 3:45:43 AM
Im so up for that, Bray has the best chipper in Ireland, its on the seafront and the give you your chips in newspaper!!!!

Yum!!

So when shall we arrange it?
 Miss Grundy
Msg: 9
Posted: 11/20/2008 3:48:25 AM
Would be great Malasam..

But how soon do you reckon Chinesegirl will be able to make it over to Dublin all the way from Beijing ?

Should we wait for her or just go ahead with the meet anyway ?
 MalaSam
Msg: 10
Posted: 11/20/2008 4:43:11 AM
I think we should wait for her, she might love us long time if we do
 papillion
Msg: 11
Posted: 11/20/2008 3:54:15 PM
Hey guys,
Glad you all liked the idea and thanks for responding.

Bray head sounds like a great idea to kick things off - who's wouldn't love chips that are served in newspaper?

When suits for everybody?
 strawberrysky
Msg: 12
Posted: 11/21/2008 4:25:55 AM
im feeling you OP lol

Im a bit down the country but id def be interested in doing new things

I wonder are there any other socail sites that are for friends? There are single girls from my area on this but im afraid to mail them and say lets go out on the man hunt because IRISH PEOPLE would think thats weird
 Dublin_bigfoot
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 11/22/2008 2:18:11 PM
There is an Irish site that was setup for the very reasons you stated- the site is www.eventsclub.ie and is run by a very nice and genuine woman called Caoilfhionn. She was getting tired of the whole scene so decided to do something about it and set up her own club! There was a hillwalk at Glendalough recently and a meetup for a rugby match- the members can suggest events to do as well and not everything is based in Dublin.
She keeps the numbers balanced for male and female though so sometimes it may be booked out for one but still open for the other. There is no charge for signing up to the site but a charge for the event and from the looks of it is always reasonable- just cut and paste an email below for an idea of the events...the ski trip is the only one on the dear side!

EventsClub would like to thank and welcome all new members who have recently joined.
New December events are now available to book on our EventsClub website.
We also have some details of upcoming events in Jan & Feb 2009 including a
SKI TRIP TO ST ANTON.

DECEMBER

Saturday 20th of December
Christmas Drinks - Samsara, Dawson Street, Dublin 2 - €25.00
Soak up the city centre festive atmosphere for drinks and nibbles. 24 persons

Tuesday 23rd December
Carol Singing - The National Concert Hall, Dublin 2 - €55.00
Three Sublime Performances; a concert of glorious seasonal and traditional music perfectly captures the true spirit of Christmas. 10 persons (Confirmation for this event required by Wed 26th November)

Wednesday 31st December
New Year's Eve Ball - Dunraven Arms Hotel, Adare, Co Limerick - €85.00
EventsClub have booked a table for the New Year's Eve Ball at The Dunraven Arms Hotel, Adare, County Limerick. 24 persons

JANUARY

Saturday 17th January
2 hr Lake Walk - Vartry Lakes, Roundwood, Co Wicklow - Price tbc
Booking details will be posted in the New Year.

FEBRUARY

Saturday 14th February
Italian Cooking Evening, Rathgar, Dublin 6 - Price tbc
Booking details will be posted in the New Year.

Saturday 28th February for 1 week
ST ANTON, AUSTRIA SKI TRIP - €125o.00
EventsClub have booked 3 twin rooms in The Kertass 4* Hotel which is a ten minute walk from the main village of St Anton. Price is €1250.00 per person sharing and includes flights and half board. Additional places can be arranged. We are initially looking for intermediate skiers. (Confirmation for this event is required very soon)
 Miss Grundy
Msg: 14
Posted: 11/22/2008 3:02:54 PM
Very good bigfoot..the cost for those outings are too prohibitive for little ol' me though..I'm still waiting on winning the lotto..

But what your post has reminded me is of the time I used to go on courses with Conservation Volunteers of Ireland..admittedly you have to pay for those courses which when I was taking them were quite reasonable and very informative but if you wished you could become involved and be a volunteer...saving Ireland's natural heritage ..I'm thinking now that could be a really good thing for Strawberrysky to become involved in. There's nothing quite like getting physical with a load of strangers on a cold and misty dawn removing that evil rhododendron from our native deciduous woodlands...or replacing the stones in dry stone walls ..team work is good for the soul as well as saving the planet.

I know in the UK they've organised picnics and camping meets..so a day out on Bray head shouldn't be too impossible to get together..the cost is low and all it takes is interested parties actually turning up and having an open mind...
 caramelspice
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 11/23/2008 4:02:19 AM
sounds the business i be up for sum of that
 papillion
Msg: 16
Posted: 11/23/2008 1:27:41 PM
I've got a group of about 12 guys and gals from the same ad on gumtree and boards so if anyone is interested drop me a mail with your email address and I'll include you on the group mail.

Papi
 fabric25
Msg: 17
Posted: 11/24/2008 2:20:14 PM
Sounds like an idea. Ive got a pain in the ass with the same old same old.
 MalaSam
Msg: 18
Posted: 11/26/2008 9:01:38 AM
Right, lets all take our fingers out of our arses and do something about it!!

What day suits people?
Is it deffo a met in or around dublin..............cause i was thinking |Courtown, nice tacky fun

But everybody put your speck in now!

Can we do a poll on this?
 fabric25
Msg: 19
Posted: 11/26/2008 3:35:13 PM
Im going to suggest paintballing, that would be cool
 MalaSam
Msg: 20
Posted: 11/27/2008 4:05:46 AM
Right, Lets put it for a vote.
Please only vote if you intend on attending.

1. A walk up and around Bray head, followed buy a bite to eat.
2. An afternoon in Courtown (look up Pirates cove, crazy golf, bowling, and ice-skating)
3. Paintballing ( Details to follow)

(any other sugestions?)
 somel
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 11/28/2008 10:15:41 AM
Well i would go for anything.... i like the idea .... I say let's go tomorrow

If I had to choose i would go for number 2, as i never been there it's hard to see things outside dublin if you don't own a car.

But the majority wins, and i will try to attend...
 fabric25
Msg: 22
Posted: 11/28/2008 10:26:31 AM

It's also sore and leaves brusing...
Not sure the ladys want to look like adice by the time its over!

Hmm I see your point, well then if thats the case Ill just open fire indiscriminately, share the bruising around lol
 MalaSam
Msg: 23
Posted: 12/15/2008 8:44:35 AM
What about board games?

And dont jump in with they are boring............. cranium, TP, Cludo?
What do you think? Great way to get to know people
 Foxfalk
Msg: 24
Posted: 12/16/2008 4:17:20 AM

Are you bored with the standard pub / club scene? Tired of going out at weekends to the same places and doing the same things? Are your friends busy with relationships and not as adventurous as before? Would you like to extend your circle of friends and try new experiences?

I have answered yes to all of these questions and am going to try do something about it. I would love to try different things away from the usual social scene but often find it difficult to get my friends interested. I would like to try loads of exciting stuff like surfing, paintballing, music gigs, weekends away, hillwalking, rowing, comedy clubs, parachute jumping....anything exciting that will leave me excited ahead of weekends and thinking "wow..what a weekend" as I sit in work on Monday.

With all due respect if 1. is the problem 2. is not the solution. If you're so bored with pubs turn it into an advantage. Stay out of them alltogether. I visit the pubs I used to drink in once in a blue moon and the same people are sitting in the same seats just like they have been for years.

If you crave beer you can buy it much cheaper in the off licence. Just the money you will save will mean you can get on a plane once a month provided you know a few simple travelling tricks. You have the advantage of living in Europe and some of the greatest cities in the world are on your doorstep. You could even leave Dublin on Friday morning and be north of the artic circle on Saturday. Moscow is within reach as is the Middle East. Going solo give you max flexibility. You don't have to wait for Joe Paddy Mary and Mick to find out if his/her job/ girlfriend / boyfriend/ wife/ mother/ credit union will allow him/her to go along with you.

You just go.

Even without getting on a plane everything you want to do you can not only do on your own but do it better. You could get up on Saturday morning and by 9am be taking a Harris Hawk on a falconers glove while your pub going mates are still in bed. Or rent a surboard and a wetsuit and just stand on the beach until someone smiles at ya. The surfers in Lahinch won't think you're weird for turning up asking for tips. You could buy a compound bow and out by Dublin airport after a few lessons be letting arrows loose travelling at 220 ft per second and spend your time competing with yourself.

Being alone makes you more accessible to the other people you will meet wherever you go. If you do meet someone, which is more than likely, you won't be tied to anyone elses agenda. Since most people can't countenance going anywhere solo they tend to notice or even admire people who do. Language is not a barrier if you have a mobile phone, a computer and even an average memory (just don't make the mistake of buying a full language course) In four weeks you could learn enough Arabic, German, Turkish or Thai to get you through most common situations.

As long as your ambitions are dependant on other people wanting to do what you want to do, when you want to do it, you're hog tied forever.
 MalaSam
Msg: 25
Posted: 12/16/2008 4:27:07 AM
Is that not exactly what he said already? Get out and do other things?

2. is not the solution.
????????

I think its a dam good start

At least his options are more likely. I take on board your point about not spending your money on drink, so you save and travel, but what if you have responciblites that dont allow you to just swan off around europe? My job isnt a 9-5 mon to fri so I dont get 'weekends' or even 2 days in a row to obscond, what if you have kids/pets/family to look after/houses to keep? Im much more likely to go paintballing for a few hours
Show ALL Forums  > Ireland  > Bored with your Social / Dating Scene?