Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > No room in the fridge....lol      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Been there done that.
Msg: 1
No room in the fridge....lolPage 1 of 1    
So I have placed the soup pot out on the porch after boiling the carcus and left over extremities of the turkey down to a nice rich broth. I have a good 3 gallons of rich broth and I plan to add pre cooked wild and long grain white rice and mushrooms to to make a soup.

I'm great at broth based soups, but not experienced with cream or milk based, unless it is cheese based.

There is a restaruant in town that has a wonderful wild rice chix soup. I'd like to do something similar. It's more chowder like as it's very thick, with a creamy base, and the creamy base is heavy with the broth flavor, but the creamy milk or cream influence is promonent as well. I can't get them to give me the recipe, so I need help.

Any help would be appreciated. I don't want to waste all this great rich broth, and need to get this finished so I can put it up in the freezer for future meals. The wild life here is high so keepig a pot of broth out there on the porch long is not advised.

Thanks for any input....
 Classic Chassis
Msg: 2
view profile
History
No room in the fridge....lol
Posted: 11/28/2008 10:12:18 PM
Here are 2 chicken/turkey & wild rice soup recipes to give you an idea - add or delete ingredients to suit yourself.

Creamy Chicken/Turkey & Wild Rice Soup
2/3 cup uncooked wild rice
2/3 cup chopped onion
2/3 cup chopped carrot
2 tbsp. butter
6 cups chicken/turkey broth
2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 cup chopped fresh broccoli
3 cups cubed cooked chicken/turkey
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup half & half

Cook rice according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt butter and cook onion and carrot for 2 minutes. Stir in the broth, potatoes, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add broccoli; cook 3-7 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender. Drain rice if necessary; fluff with a fork. Stir chicken and rice into potato mixture; heat through. In a small bowl, combine flour and half-and-half until smooth. Gradually stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.

Chicken & Wild Rice Soup
1 pkg. (6 oz.) long-grain and wild rice mix, prepared according to package directions
1 tbsp. vegetable oil
2 (8 oz. total) boneless, skinless chicken/turkey breasts, chopped OR 1-1/2 cups cooked
2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
3-3/4 cups chicken/turkey broth
1/2 tsp. dried tarragon, crushed
1/4 tsp. dried thyme, crushed
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. ground black pepper
1 can (12 oz.) evaporated milk
3 tbsp. cornstarch
2 tbsp. dry white wine, optional
sliced green onions, optional
toasted slivered almonds, optional

In large saucepan, heat vegetable oil; add raw chicken/turkey (if using), mushrooms, chopped onion and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, for 5-8 or until vegetables are tender and chicken is no longer pink. Add cooked chicken/turkey (if using), rice, broth, tarragon, thyme, salt and pepper; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Combine small amount of evaporated milk and cornstarch in small bowl; stir until smooth. Add to saucepan with remaining evaporated milk and wine; cook, stirring occasionally, for 3-5 minutes or until soup is thickened. Garnish with green onions and almonds.

To freeze/reheat – prepare soup but do not top with green onions and almonds. Cool soup completely. Place in airtight container; freeze for up to 2 months. Thaw overnight in refrigerator. Heat in large saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 15-20 minutes or until heated through. Garnish with green onions and almonds.

I used to put the turkey or stock in the car or truck overnight or you can use your dryer if it's vented outside.
 Roseboot
Msg: 3
Posted: 11/29/2008 8:35:24 AM
I always love CC's recipes.

I have never put leftovers IN the car, but, I've put them on the roof of the car in a garage!! :-) At Christmas I usually put them in a rubbermaid bin on the deck so they are handy. I also put bottles of pop or juice in the snow on the deck. Saves a lot of room in the fridge. No critter problems, yet.
 Classic Chassis
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 11/29/2008 9:10:56 AM
^^^easy when the truck is a 16' cube van with a roll-up door - talk about a huge fridge.

I throw snow into my Rubbermaid container for pop, juice, vodka coolers, beer - depends on who is coming over.
 Roseboot
Msg: 5
Posted: 11/30/2008 4:59:26 AM
^^^ I remember Christmas day, many years ago, my father putting an open bottle of sparkling wine in the snow bank and when he bent over to pick it up, the cork popped and got him in the eye. :-)

A cabin my grandmother had, years ago, had a winter "fridge" . It was a wooden box on the outside of the building, with a little access door inside the cabin.
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > No room in the fridge....lol