Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > When to seek child support modification      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ABCGIRLZ
Msg: 2
view profile
History
When to seek child support modificationPage 1 of 1    
I know when my ex moved back to my town he asked for a modification but was denied...the Child Support Agency said there was no reason why he had to switch jobs.

I don't think you will need a lawyer, if the money is coming out of your paycheck and going through child support agency just contact them for the appropraite papers for the modification.
 davidsauvignon
Msg: 4
view profile
History
When to seek child support modification
Posted: 12/1/2008 11:21:16 AM
It depends on the laws in your state. For example, one state I lived in had a review period of once every 3 years. Both parties were mailed a form to either request or waive the review. If both waived it, then they had to wait another 3 years for the next review. The state I live in now, they "can" review it every year, but more than likely won't unless it is requested. In order for any modification, there has to be at least a 15% change than the previous ordered amount....e.g., say I'm paying $800/month CS and get a new job that is a 25% wage increase from what I was making when support was set. If the ex got a job that increased her earnings by 15%, there wouldn't be any change in CS because the overall change in wages/circumstances was only 10%.

~ds~
 davidsauvignon
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 12/1/2008 11:53:07 AM
I was just giving you an example how it is done in TN....I don't have a clue how it's handled in your state. Your attorney will let you know. You should be able to find a website for your state's agency and their 'rules'/guidelines.

~ds~
 davidsauvignon
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 12/1/2008 7:18:43 PM

I think Koldad has it right.... It's going to depend largely what your custodial agreement is more so than her wages.

Once again....it depends on the state's guidelines. Both states I've lived in while paying CS DO take into account BOTH parent's incomes. It may or may not be the same where the OP lives. Ask your attorney, OP.

~ds~
 davidsauvignon
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 12/1/2008 8:32:04 PM
@ Amore....I have no doubts you, JAXI and any other Canadians posting to this thread understand how support is calculated in Canada. However, the OP lives in the USA. It isn't done the same way here. It varies from state to state. Some (most) states take both parent's incomes into account in figuring support.

~ds~
Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > When to seek child support modification