Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Missouri  > Why do You as a Parent Drink?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 GiGi046
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Why do You as a Parent Drink?Page 1 of 1    
I think my youngest was just like the one in the letter definitely "Heck on heels" and she was a tom boy....... makes one think.
 pizza_chef1
Msg: 9
Why do You as a Parent Drink?
Posted: 12/4/2008 10:31:10 PM
I must have started late, I was sixteen and we had finished baling hay on the farm and my class mate and I who baled hay together would get his older brother to buy Old Milwaukee beer... I thought wow this is cheap at $6 a case... then moved on to Jack Daniels and Marijauna... By that time I was also eating speed like candy and oral steriods for football... by the time I was a Junior in HighSchool I had bleeding ulcers and spent a week after football season dehydrated in the hospital... Quit drugs after graduation but continud to drink heavy... bottle of Jack a night... Do not for the life of me know how I survived!

Got married at 20, divorced at 25, spent 6 months drunk at least 6 days a week... A few times I do not remember making it home... but never drank with my kids... Had some wine and alchohol in the home... one New Years eve I let the kids have a little wine... Son loved it and daughter did not...

A few years later,this last Jan... my son who is now 18 almost killed himself with drinking 2 bottles of Vodka and 10 cold pills... His mother called and told me how he was out of control with drinking and popping pills.. funny how when he lived with me and I would complain when he stole my cigarettes and alchohol... she would say that is just kids! He has been out of rehab now since June and as far as we know, sober and clean!!! I still have a drink now and then but will not drink with him in the home.

i do have some alchohol in the home but mainly for cooking, I was dry for about a year after my 6 month drunk.....
 frtnhnfloed
Msg: 11
Posted: 12/9/2008 10:26:25 AM
well, i like my longisland ice teas. Thats my favorite.

But i also like to drink 7 and 7

HarleyKat~
Msg: 13
Posted: 12/14/2008 1:12:02 PM
Strawberry Hill....argh! Wasn't there an Apple Blossom, too? No wonder I hate pucker! LOL I was a "Little Kings" kid, myself! But we also made "Loose Juice" outta Everclear, fruit, and punch!

To add to the humor:

"Alcohol may not solve your problems, but neither will water or milk."

previouslyme
Msg: 14
Posted: 12/16/2008 6:46:56 PM
Communication... Can help solve problems... Keep one from thinking the NEED the drink.
 previouslyme
Msg: 15
Posted: 12/23/2008 7:43:17 PM
Because the underage child asked me to buy her some alcohol to take to a friend's house in St Louis. NO WAY! She only has 4 more months, then she gets her Fast Eddie's trip with her mom.

I drank an extra glass of milk that night after she left... Don't know if she found a source, but I told her she had to crash there and not drive home if she even had a sip. All went well!
 HarleyKat~
Msg: 16
Posted: 12/24/2008 6:41:02 AM
Interesting Sheila....

I was the kid who had the "cool mom" who bought our alcohol and turned a blind eye to the other partying. (She will kill me if she knows I posted this! LOL) Thing is, her mentality (back then) was that we were going to "do it anyway" and at least this way, she knew we were doing it safely!

I was almost the exact opposite with my own kids...the few times I allowed alcohol to be present prior to their being 21, I talked to all the parents...made sure they knew and even made them sign a little "permission slip" for lack of better words. (Never large scale...very small) I always regretted such and it always took me back to thoughts of how if my mom had not done the same, maybe things would have turned out differently. (Not blaming mom...lol...just saying...)

So....a happy medium...and I know this is taking the OP way out of context. But how about just teaching them and being the example, of RESPONSIBLE DRINKING. Even if you choose to drink to GET drunk...NO DRIVING. My kids ALWAYS knew that they could call me, no questions asked, for a ride home. And it was utilized and respected. Sit on a sidewalk and sober up, walk, call, ANYTHING but drive or get in a car and drive with someone when drinking.

Here is to a safe and happy holiday season, to all! Hug your loved ones!
 previouslyme
Msg: 17
Posted: 12/24/2008 8:20:53 AM
I would suffer from so much guilt if what I bought for my child was consumed by someone that got too drunk and decided the rules did not apply to them. I remember those days. So far I have found that my kids are not afraid to call me any time for the safe ride to my house. That includes the 2 that are legal. The 20 year old isn't big on it(drinking), she more or less just wanted to bring something to a party. When she is with her army group I think that is where the real drinking happens.
Show ALL Forums  > Missouri  > Why do You as a Parent Drink?